The river Moselle infos and river cruising experiences

notamermaid

11 hours ago, jpalbny said:

No worries! We are very excited for our trip, even without the Federweißer-Fest. We have always enjoyed our time in Lisbon, and now we have a chance to venture beyond there. And I have not been to Madrid. 

But as you know, Germany always calls to me, because of my ancestral roots. And one of our fond memories involves wandering into the Ganzhornfest in Neckarsulm a few years ago. So, maybe another year. 

Yes, I remember you telling us about the Ganzhornfest. Recorded for posterity in the thread on the Neckar. 🙂 

So here for you is a photo gallery of the biggest festivals in Germany:

https://m.dw.com/en/germanys-biggest-festivals/g-18715240

But as fun can be had at smaller places in equal measure, I recommend checking out the Rhine in Flames celebrations in Koblenz, the "Deichstadtfest" in Neuwied - four days of food, drink and live music where foreign tourists would stand out as exotic -, the flower parade in Bad Ems on the Lahn river or indeed the many small Kermess and wine festivals on the Moselle which can be so much fun joining the locals.

notamermaid

• 2 months later...

A flood warning has been issued for the Moselle around Trier. The level reached flood mark II earlier this morning and is now at 590cm.

This has implications for navigation and makes low bridges a concern. However, the river traffic has not been suspended and as of today does not look critical.

Has anyone been on the river recently, or are you even sailing right now? Or is anyone enjoying the Christmas markets on a land trip?

Metz is still one of my favourites, highly recommended.

notamermaid

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned on Tuesday from the Zurich to Paris Viking trip, and we ended up an extra night in Koblenz due to high water on the Moselle.  We were able to bus for the day excursion to Trier with a short stop in Cochem, and it was clear the water was way up. By the time we returned to our ship in Koblenz, they were given the all-clear to head up the Moselle to Trier with a day stop in Bernkastel-Kues, which was fun. We hiked up to the castle and wandered the vineyards and Christmas market. By the next morning, when we disembarked our ship in Trier, the water had risen again from overnight rain and the ship was going to be delayed in getting to Cologne for overwintering. We were there on Dec 19-20-21.  In Paris, the Seine was up quite a bit.  One of our excursions during the trip was Worms-Heidelberg and we got caught in a torrential downpour with heavy wind during our walking tour of Worms. It made for a chilly damp remainder of the day!  (My jeans were soaked to my knees...)  BUT! In spite of the rain, we had absolutely gorgeous warm weather--it was in the 60s with glorious sun the day we cruised the middle Rhine.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/7/2019 at 3:34 PM, notamermaid said:

And then, after a few restful and quiet days, the Christmas market opens in Cochem on 29 November. It runs till 22 December.

notamermaid

Friends and I are booked on the Viking Paris to the Swiss Alps (reverse direction) starting Dec. 2, 2020. in Zurich. We embark in Basel on 12/4. On the Viking site there is no mention of the specific Christmas markets we'll be able to visit. Our ports are Strasbourg, Speyer, Mainz, Koblenz, Cochem, Bernkastle, disembarking at Trier. Of those places, are there any Christmas markets or other sites that are recommendations as "must see"? Many thanks for all of your helpful info, @notamermaid!

Hello BAYA,

As far as I know all those ports have Christmas markets that run through Advent, both during the week and at weekends. Closer to the date I would have a look here: http://www.germany-christmas-market.org.uk/christmasmarkets_germany.htm

or on the town's websites.

Strasbourg Cathedral is a must- see, no doubt, but others can help you there better. Speyer - the cathedral. If you like technical stuff I recommend the transport museum. Mainz - the cathedral, or if you like the colour blue St. Stephan's Church. Or the Gutenberg Museum for the old printing press and Bible.

In Koblenz the Christmas markets are good but not as atmospheric as in other places in my opinion. If you have enough daylight try and get to Ehrenbreitstein fortress, by shuttle or taxi if the cable car is not running. Not sure if Viking offers Marksburg castle in winter. If so, it is great to see but could be uncomfortable in wintry conditions.

Cochem has the rebuilt castle which is supposed to be good. Bernkastel-Kues is a lovely small town with lots of half-timbered houses.

Trier- the Porta Nigra and if you have a couple of hours spare either the Roman baths or the Landesmuseum with the Roman artifacts. The Christmas market is very nice.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
Correction of auto-correct

The Strasbourg Christmas market is very good. It’s right by the cathedral and, if your ship is docked near a tram line, easy to get to on your own.

The Speyer cathedral is definitely well worth a visit. The I enjoyed the technical museum’s collection - primarily cars, motorcycles, aircraft, and boats/ships. There is also a small Jewish quarter. It was part of our guided tour, the guide was important to my experience.

The Koblenz Christmas market was enjoyable although not the extravaganza of those in the larger cities. Perhaps notamermaid can verily, or correct my memory that the Rathaus (city hall) there was decorated as an Advent Calendar. 

The main church in Trier was also worth visiting. I concur with the recommendations of the baths and Landesmuseum and, if you have the time, we found the coliseum worth the extra walk. 

Edited by CPT Trips

36 minutes ago, CPT Trips said:

The Koblenz Christmas market was enjoyable although not the extravaganza of those in the larger cities. Perhaps notamermaid can verily, or correct my memory that the Rathaus (city hall) there was decorated as an Advent Calendar. 

Yes, the roof of the city hall is the Advent Calendar, thank you for reminding me. Although crowded, that part of the market which is Jesuitenplatz square is the nicest I find. Here is the photo bottom right: https://www.koblenz-touristik.de/events/koblenzer-weihnachtsmarkt/impressionen.html

Bottom left photo is just on the left when you have passed underneath the arches, if I remember correctly into the entrance of the building on the right, where the round pillars are on the right in this photo: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rathaus_(Koblenz)#/media/Datei:Koblenz_im_Buga-Jahr_2011_-_Rathaus_01.jpg

At the leftmost arch is the famous spitting fountain.

In Trier, yes, the coliseum is also interesting. Just do not expect it to be as big or preserved as the one in Rome: http://zentrum-der-antike.de/en/monuments/the-amphitheater/the-amphitheater.html

notamermaid

23 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Hello BAYA,

As far as I know all those ports have Christmas markets that run through Advent, both during the week and at weekends. Closer to the date I would have a look here: http://www.germany-christmas-market.org.uk/christmasmarkets_germany.htm

or on the town's websites.

[snip]

Thanks to @notamermaid and @CPT Trips for all the great info. Boy I don't know what I'd do without all the helpful people on cruise critic!

Edited by BAYA
included too much of old post in the quote

The Reichsburg in Cochem would really lend itself to some festivities, thanks for the photo, CPT Trips. However, I could not find any such info on the website. Here it is: https://reichsburg-cochem.de/?lang=en

Cochem itself has a night watchman tour listed (a standard tour) for that day.

Apart from a few parties, last year's news websites do not show much as regards themed events in the area. Generally speaking decorating and dressing-up is done a little and parties happen but the day is not a "thing" really. 30 to 40 years ago most people in this area had little clue what Halloween is - apart from the (film) freaks and anglophones. That has changed but historically there is no tradition whatsoever.

As we are on the subject of "spooky castles", Burg Frankenstein near Darmstadt in Hesse jumped onto the bandwagon many years ago, it is really making good money out of its famous name: https://frankenstein-halloween.de/en/location/die-burg-frankenstein/

Just one of the supposedly 25,000 castles and ruins in Germany...

notamermaid

• 2 weeks later...

Flooding along the Moselle

Due to heavy rain - and more is forecast - the river levels of the Moselle have risen a lot. Trier is now at 697cm, river traffic is suspended from 695cm onwards. The situation is not dire, it is a standard occurence in most winters. A bit worrying is the continued rain, also along the Rhine, which brings the predicted river level at Trier to 800cm during Tuesday with a further increase anticipated. Really hope it stops soon after 800cm.

notamermaid

• 3 weeks later...

We will be on the Elegant Lady from 22 to 28th March.  The itinerary is Koblenz, Aiken, Tres Karden, Cochem, Trier, Mettlach, Saarburg, Bernkastel, Traben-Trarbach, Zell, then disembark in Koblenz.

Hoping the river levels will be OK by then (we have been badly affected by Low Water on the Rhine in 2018).  Thanks to Notermermaid we knew what to expect but most onboard our cruise had no idea.

We understand this is a beautiful area and we hope that we have a good itinerary as it is our first visit to the Moselle.

30 minutes ago, Mrs Miggins said:

We will be on the Elegant Lady from 22 to 28th March.  The itinerary is Koblenz, Aiken, Tres Karden, Cochem, Trier, Mettlach, Saarburg, Bernkastel, Traben-Trarbach, Zell, then disembark in Koblenz.

Hoping the river levels will be OK by then (we have been badly affected by Low Water on the Rhine in 2018).  Thanks to Notermermaid we knew what to expect but most onboard our cruise had no idea.

We understand this is a beautiful area and we hope that we have a good itinerary as it is our first visit to the Moselle.

Did the Moselle in fall a few years ago,  it is wonderful. Not a lot of commercial traffic. Seemed like our own river. The vineyards on each side are beautiful. Be sure to taste the local wine. Enjoy!  

Mrs. Miggins, 

I hope you will write a review for us when you get back.  I had to look up the ship as I had never heard of her.  A number of your stops are of great interest as they are not on most of the North American known cruise line itineraries. 

The Moselle river is beautiful,  so we are going again in October with Uniworld.   Someday we want to do a driving holiday and see what is just beyond the river and check out Burg Eltz.

RB

6 hours ago, Mrs Miggins said:

My bike and barge tour in May goes to most of the same places, we start in Koblenz, with stops in Cochem, Zell, Bernkastel, Trier, Saarburg, Remich and finishing up in Metz. I'm looking forward to it.

On 2/24/2020 at 9:45 PM, Mrs Miggins said:

Hello Mrs Miggins.

This is a lovely and quite unusual itinerary in that it is entirely on the Moselle and Saar rivers. The Elegant Lady is sailing in long-term charter for the German company Plantours. That is why I immediately thought your German must be very good as Plantours only markets to Germans basically. But then I noticed that this itinerary is not offered by the company! You are sailing on the ship before her charter starts. Who have you booked with? Remember please to not name a travel agent, only a tour operator. The company behind the Plantours charter is Dunav Tours and the Elegant Lady is registered in Bulgaria. A first glance did not reveal that itinerary with them either. I am curious 😃.

notamermaid

Our cruise travel agent has been chartering Elegant Lady for some years now.  We were on her in Basel And Strasbourg at the end of November early December last year.  He markets the cruises to his regular clients.  We have also been on another Dunav ship from Passau to Budapest, again early in the season.  We have also done the Douro with him as well as using a CroisiEurope ship as a floating hotel moored on the Seine near to the Eiffel Tower.   He usually does 3 or 4 a year.  He has many musician friends who provide evening entertainment.

He also charters two coaches from a Dutch company who pick us up in Ashford and take us to the ship.  Some choose to fly or arrive by train.

We have also done a couple of Scenic river cruises.  Very nice but about 3 times the price.

With more rain in France, the Moselle has now risen to mild to moderate flooding. In the middle section around Cochem, river traffic has been halted. The level will peak soon and then slowly return to long-term mean levels. Unless it rains again by the bucket load in the Upper Moselle valley next week.

notamermaid

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/28/2020 at 11:33 PM, Mrs Miggins said:

Our cruise travel agent has been chartering Elegant Lady for some years now.  We were on her in Basel And Strasbourg at the end of November early December last year.  He markets the cruises to his regular clients.  We have also been on another Dunav ship from Passau to Budapest, again early in the season.  We have also done the Douro with him as well as using a CroisiEurope ship as a floating hotel moored on the Seine near to the Eiffel Tower.   He usually does 3 or 4 a year.  He has many musician friends who provide evening entertainment.

He also charters two coaches from a Dutch company who pick us up in Ashford and take us to the ship.  Some choose to fly or arrive by train.

We have also done a couple of Scenic river cruises.  Very nice but about 3 times the price.

Mrs. Miggins,

Thanks for all the info. If life was normal you would be on the return leg of your cruise now. Alas, health matters have taken precedence over leisure, for us all. Hope this post finds you in good spirits. How has the operator reacted, if I may asked, has your cruise been cancelled or postponed with future cruise credit?

notamermaid

Very sorry not to have been able to take this lovely trip.   Another one is planned for next year and we very much hope to be onboard.  The weather here has been glorious.  Lots of lovely sunshine but getting colder over the next few days.

I think our travel agent is giving a mix of refund and future cruise credit.  For us it was an insurance claim as 3 weeks ago my husband had to have a PaceMaker fitted so we would have been unable to take the trip.  He is much better now.  Our next cruise was to have been on June 4th, on Azamara, Italian and French intensive.  This has not yet been cancelled but of course we are sure that it will be.  Hope you are staying safe and healthy.

Pam

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/28/2020 at 11:05 AM, Mrs Miggins said:

Very sorry not to have been able to take this lovely trip.   Another one is planned for next year and we very much hope to be onboard.  The weather here has been glorious.  Lots of lovely sunshine but getting colder over the next few days.

I think our travel agent is giving a mix of refund and future cruise credit.  For us it was an insurance claim as 3 weeks ago my husband had to have a PaceMaker fitted so we would have been unable to take the trip.  He is much better now.  Our next cruise was to have been on June 4th, on Azamara, Italian and French intensive.  This has not yet been cancelled but of course we are sure that it will be.  Hope you are staying safe and healthy.

Pam

Sorry to read that, what an upsetting reason to have to cancel. I hope your husband is getting stronger and stronger. Surrey I am sure is fully in bloom by now with the mild climate in the South. Still planning on walking part of the North Downs Way when I get round to going to the area, I usually roam the valleys of Kent in Summer on foot and in a car. Alas, not this year probably, all plans are on hold.

Stay safe.

notamermaid

• 2 weeks later...

Echternach in Luxembourg, a small town on the river Sauer with a long history, sadly had to cancel its annual Springprozession or "jumping procession". It is a religious event held on the Tuesday of Whitsuntide: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dancing_procession_of_Echternach

It is just attended by too many people and the organizers are understandably concerned about the welfare of the participants and the spectators.

According to the French edition of "Luxemburger Wort", it is the first time it has been cancelled in 300 years. In 1711 "an epidemic disease" as it is described in the local history archives caused the cancellation. Other than that, a cholera epidemic in 1866 meant that borders to Germany were closed and only Luxembourgers could take part. In 1941, the German occupation forbid the procession, but some locals did it secretly in the abbey...

Echternach is about 25 min. by car from Trier and about 40 min. by car from Remich.

notamermaid

Let us briefly return to Burg Eltz. It is rarely an excursion as part of a river cruise with Reichsburg castle at Cochem getting most of the attention. The differences between the two could hardly be greater: the Reichsburg was rebuilt in the 19th century using old engravings as hints as to what it had looked like but with neo-gothic elements, by a wealthy merchant family, while Burg Eltz is medieval original with few modern alterations and has been owned by the same family for 800 years or so.

To get to Burg Eltz on a river cruise or land tour without a car, you can use a tourist bus at weekends and on public holidays, it is called the Burgenbus, with the route number 330: https://burg-eltz.de/en/planning-your-trip-to-eltz-castle/arriving-by-arriving-by/arriving-by-public-transport.html

notamermaid