Air Options to Bergen

mhb1757

I just verified with Viking (some of this is not new info to this board)....

No Custom Air option is available for any itinerary departing from or arriving to Bergen

No air deviations are offered for those using Viking Air that would allow you to arrive in Bergen a few days precruise or stay in Bergen a few days post cruise.

However they do offer a deviation allowing you to fly into Oslo a few days precruise (or depart from there a few days post cruise). The deviation fee quoted was $100/pp. you cannot use the Custom Air/Air Plus option that would let you select flights into Oslo but at least we can fly into there a few days pre-cruise.

And even with the deviation fee it is still $600/pp cheaper for us to use Viking Air. We will just hope the flights they pick for us are decent.

We will just hope the flights they pick for us are decent.

LOL. I went online and looked at the flights plans that were available between Boston and Bergen. I looked at them all but concentrated on the worst of them (24hours airport to airport, 2+ layovers, looong layovers, going east to go west, pre-dawn departures for the airport, late departures from Bergen). I knew every single possible worst-case scenario and I prepared for the absolute worst of them, so that anything I got would look great beside what I imagined. I think it is just easier when I know in advance what the possibilities are so if they do come to fruition, they are not a surprise (because I know I don't deal well with surprises).

Edited by Peregrina651

I just verified with Viking (some of this is not new info to this board)....

And even with the deviation fee it is still $600/pp cheaper for us to use Viking Air. We will just hope the flights they pick for us are decent.

Everyone's situation is unique. This was mine. Made the reservations through Viking because of an imaginary substantial discount. When I did fact checking, I could not find the original price Viking was quoting. Further research revealed that I could book myself with the same quality and still save hundreds of dollars below Viking price. That does not include the deviation fees as we plan to arrive earlier in Stockholm and depart later in Bergen. In either case, Viking eats the money, included in their air fare for transfers. I live in Texas so there are no direct flights, however, even with 2 layovers each way I still make the trip in around 17 hours, Arriving in Stockholm early in the morning for a full day of exploring and departing Bergen around 10:00 am. Weighing the options of knowing this when we book, made my decision to cancel air through Viking and book on my my own and find other uses for those saved dollars a 'no brainer'.

Everyone's situation is unique. This was mine. Made the reservations through Viking because of an imaginary substantial discount. When I did fact checking, I could not find the original price Viking was quoting. Further research revealed that I could book myself with the same quality and still save hundreds of dollars below Viking price. That does not include the deviation fees as we plan to arrive earlier in Stockholm and depart later in Bergen. In either case, Viking eats the money, included in their air fare for transfers. I live in Texas so there are no direct flights, however, even with 2 layovers each way I still make the trip in around 17 hours, Arriving in Stockholm early in the morning for a full day of exploring and departing Bergen around 10:00 am. Weighing the options of knowing this when we book, made my decision to cancel air through Viking and book on my my own and find other uses for those saved dollars a 'no brainer'.

we are not cruising until summer 2017, but right now it looks like Vikings fare is going to be substantially less than anything I could find on my own. I have been watching for a couple months now and fares for this summer have not moved much. Anything can happen before next summer I know and I'd do my own air in a heartbeat if it saved enough $$. Guess I'll just wait and see.

LOL. I went online and looked at the flights plans that were available between Boston and Bergen. I looked at them all but concentrated on the worst of them (24hours airport to airport, 2+ layovers, looong layovers, going east to go west, pre-dawn departures for the airport, late departures from Bergen). I knew every single possible worst-case scenario and I prepared for the absolute worst of them, so that anything I got would look great beside what I imagined. I think it is just easier when I know in advance what the possibilities are so if they do come to fruition, they are not a surprise (because I know I don't deal well with surprises).

Haha. Can't say I blame you!! On our Viking River cruises I have always wimped out and gone the custom air route cause I had nightmares of a 20 minute layover in CDG or a 23 hour layover in Istanbul. But I'm at their mercy this time!! How did your flights turn out when you actually got them?

Haha. Can't say I blame you!! On our Viking River cruises I have always wimped out and gone the custom air route cause I had nightmares of a 20 minute layover in CDG or a 23 hour layover in Istanbul. But I'm at their mercy this time!! How did your flights turn out when you actually got them?

No pre-dawn departures, no looong layovers (or 20 minute layovers), no going east to west, only one stop out of Bergen, not on the last flight out of Bergen and home and in my bed in well less than 24 hours.

I go custom air on the river cruises because I have noticed that it is always the people who didn't use it who are on the way to the airport before dawn--and sorry, that is not how I want to end my vacation.

Dauntless is right. Each situation is unique. If the Viking airfare looks good when you book your cruise, include it because up until the seats are ticketed, you can cancel it. I don't know that you can add air fare after you have made your booking but you surely can cancel it.

We were very worried about what our flights would be, and I did the same thing as you. Almost all of the options available were awful (36 hours to get home, more legs and a LOT more money). We bit the bullet and decided to wait it out rather than cancel Viking Air and buy the best of what was left, hoping that Viking would have something that worked better.

We got our itinerary a week or so ago. It wasn't ideal but pretty close to it. I would have preferred to get into Stockholm early morning rather than noon. Other than that, great, and for a really decent price.

I also called the number we were given to inquire about the seat assignments (none to crappy), and the rep was extremely helpful. The problem was that until the itinerary is actually ticketed which isn't for 2 weeks or so, you can't make changes on the airline websites.

Good luck to all,

Jan

Edited by Jay Bee

• 2 months later...
We were very worried about what our flights would be, and I did the same thing as you. Almost all of the options available were awful (36 hours to get home, more legs and a LOT more money). We bit the bullet and decided to wait it out rather than cancel Viking Air and buy the best of what was left, hoping that Viking would have something that worked better.

We got our itinerary a week or so ago. It wasn't ideal but pretty close to it. I would have preferred to get into Stockholm early morning rather than noon. Other than that, great, and for a really decent price.

I also called the number we were given to inquire about the seat assignments (none to crappy), and the rep was extremely helpful. The problem was that until the itinerary is actually ticketed which isn't for 2 weeks or so, you can't make changes on the airline websites.

Good luck to all,

Jan

How did you get the number to call. Thanks

We sailed with Viking last July and were originally told we could have custom air. When it came time to book we were told no custom air for the Viking Homelands cruise. We had already booked our hotels pre-cruise in Stockholm and post cruise in Paris so we basically were left holding the bag to book our own flights which turned out to be a good thing. For $100 per person we booked a SAS flight from Bergen to Stockholm connecting to Paris. I am sure they connect elsewhere in Europe as well. Then you can either stay a couple of days in another city or connect onward. It sure beat spending 24 hours on Viking flights to get home. We do live NY so we have a major hub.

We sailed with Viking last July and were originally told we could have custom air. When it came time to book we were told no custom air for the Viking Homelands cruise. We had already booked our hotels pre-cruise in Stockholm and post cruise in Paris so we basically were left holding the bag to book our own flights which turned out to be a good thing. For $100 per person we booked a SAS flight from Bergen to Stockholm connecting to Paris. I am sure they connect elsewhere in Europe as well. Then you can either stay a couple of days in another city or connect onward. It sure beat spending 24 hours on Viking flights to get home. We do live NY so we have a major hub.

I'm going to be in this situation for our 2018 Viking cruise, but I find your post quite confusing. Are you saying that you paid $100 per person and flew from Bergen to Paris and then Paris to Stockholm? Couldn't you have taken the train from Bergen to Stockholm in the same amount of time?

Edited by Host Jazzbeau

Jazz beau I think she was saying she is flying SAS from Bergen to Paris but has to connect in Stockholm since there are no direct flights to Paris from Bergen. She mentioned that they were doing a few days in Paris post cruise.

Also just an update. Since air prices seem to have dropped we are able to book our own flights. I was able to book a nonstop from Newark to Oslo in premium economy for about the same price we would have paid Viking for regular economy and we will fly to Newark on points. I'm a happy camper 😀

Jazz beau I think she was saying she is flying SAS from Bergen to Paris but has to connect in Stockholm since there are no direct flights to Paris from Bergen. She mentioned that they were doing a few days in Paris post cruise.

Also just an update. Since air prices seem to have dropped we are able to book our own flights. I was able to book a nonstop from Newark to Oslo in premium economy for about the same price we would have paid Viking for regular economy and we will fly to Newark on points. I'm a happy camper 😀

Thanks for the clarification. There were no direct flights from Bergen to Paris and SAS seems like the only game in town. Our cruise started in Stockholm so we flew KLM from NYC to Stockholm connecting in Amsterdam. On the way home, we flew SAS to Paris connecting in Stockholm. We stayed in Paris for a week and then flew Air France from Paris to NYC.