Newlyweds Name Change Advice

Recently Married Ladies: I booked my cruise in my maiden name. My passport is in my maiden name. I want to change my booking info to my married name. What type of identification do I need to go as Mrs. Williams? Its too late to get a new passport. I have my birth certificate, marriage license, passport and drivers license but none of the names match. Please help me I'm so lost!

Recently Married Ladies: I booked my cruise in my maiden name. My passport is in my maiden name. I want to change my booking info to my married name. What type of identification do I need to go as Mrs. Williams? Its too late to get a new passport. I have my birth certificate, marriage license, passport and drivers license but none of the names match. Please help me I'm so lost!

You would need your marriage license as a bridge document.

However, I think it would easier to just keep the name on the booking the same as your ID documents.

The easiest thing to do is just leave your booking in your maiden name to match your passport, and then when you return from the cruise, apply for an updated passport so you can travel with your married name in the future.

You can also bring some of the documents that you mentioned. ID that's in your maiden name (passport or BC) and then your marriage license to provide the bridge that links the maiden name on your documents to the married name on your booking.

The complication might be which ID to use to get on and off the ship at each port. Many Caribbean ports require that you show government issued photo ID that matches the name on your Sea Pass. So, is your DL in your maiden or married name? Otherwise you'll have to bring all the documents ashore with you to bridge the names with the local Port Authority

Edited by DonnaK

I left everything in my maiden name until after our Honeymoon and changed it when we got back. Our travel agent advised against changing anything before leaving unless your name change on all documents is complete.

The easiest thing to do is just leave your booking in your maiden name to match your passport, and then when you return from the cruise, apply for an updated passport so you can travel with your married name in the future.

You can also bring some of the documents that you mentioned. ID that's in your maiden name (passport or BC) and then your marriage license to provide the bridge that links the maiden name on your documents to the married name on your booking.

The complication might be which ID to use to get on and off the ship at each port. Many Caribbean ports require that you show government issued photo ID that matches the name on your Sea Pass. So, is your DL in your maiden or married name? Otherwise you'll have to bring all the documents ashore with you to bridge the names with the local Port Authority

Thats entirely too much to keep up with on vacation!! I'll leave it as is.

I left everything in my maiden name until after our Honeymoon and changed it when we got back. Our travel agent advised against changing anything before leaving unless your name change on all documents is complete.

I agree, why introduce possible complications?

I know we are always excited to change our names when we marry. To make traveling easy, I would keep your reservations in your maiden name. It really would not cause a problem to keep using your old passport until it expires but you will need to remember all reservations must be made in your maiden name.

"I booked my cruise in my maiden name. My passport is in my maiden name."

Just leave it like it is.

You will join the ranks of most women who change their names and who travel abroad just after getting married. Most women who choose to change their names do NOT have time to do so fully before going on their honeymoons. It just isn't really a *thing*, to travel internationally in your married name just after your wedding.