Tour Prices Jumped Way Up!!!

cormike1

I don't have the time to spend hours researching, chasing down reviews, or investigating tour operators in ports -- especially in ports where English is not the primary language. And even if I did have the time, I have no desire to spend it in such a fashion.

For us, half of the fun of travelling, whether on land or when cruising, is doing exactly the things you choose avoid. It gives us a much broader knowledge of the area we will be visiting and we enjoy the time spent doing the research. Nothing wrong with your approach, it's just a different perspective.

More things to think about...

We much prefer booking privately because of the smaller car/vans verses buses. Get more for your money. Get to see much more in your allotted time. Don't have to wait for the bus to get loaded....tons of wasted time (wait for that one person who felt the return time didn't mean for them....only the other 100 on the bus) EXCEPT what I just recently experienced with our 33 day Hawaii/Tahiti cruise next March: I do a lot of research and pretty much use TripAdvisor exclusively and appreciate all the reviews. I found about five private shore excursions that I was trying to reserve for and found that the cruise line had BOOKED out the excursions and yes I am now going to have to pay DOUBLE to use HA if I want to go on that excursion. I have also found that in South Pacific there are not a lot of choices for excursions and so the ship swoops in and grabs the excursions exclusively. This will be the first time that I will be spending so much more on excursions and I understand what the original poster was saying.....would be wonderful if the cruise line would make it a little more affordable and closer to the actual original price. Alaska here we come....

So of the cruise's total costs (flights, transportation, booze, specialty restaurants, souvenirs ETC), the $15 increase is breaking the budget and the last straw?

Fifteen dollars.

:confused:

A 25% increase is disheartening. I am hoping the price increase is in preparation for a soon to be announced Holland America shore excursion sale.

I have been on many private tours that were arranged by others on my cruise roll call threads. On my Celebrity Med cruise - one woman on the roll call arranged for multiple cars in the ports where Rome In Limo (http://www.romeinlimo.com/) offered tours. They were all excellent, by the way!

Whether you tour with an independent vendor or with a ship excursion - one should still be an informed traveler. Read a guide book or Google the places you'll visit on the internet. There's no reason to be clueless about where you're traveling - unless you're leaving tomorrow and you booked the trip yesterday! :D

Many of you are missing my point from earlier. I have no issue with people booking cruise line excursions. We do occasionally. (We also book private excursions, and DIY in ports.) My point was that you can't create a high demand for cruise line excursions and then be surprised when the prices go up.

I understand people want the perceived safety of cruise line excursions, although there is virtually no documented cases of private excursions causing people to miss ships. Artificially increasing this demand by causing fear of private excursions doesn't help the pricing issue.

Edited by CruiserBruce

It is my observation that fewer and fewer people book ship excursions. Increasing numbers of cruisers are going the private route and /or touring independently.

I disagree with the comment that it is difficult to find private guides. Trip advisor, cruise critic and old fashioned travel books all provide lists of companies and guides available for booking.

Price is not the overriding reason we prefer private touring. A private tour guide whisking you around in a van or automobile will take you to twice as many sites as the cruise bus. A private tour guide will not force you to spend time "shopping". A private guide will tailor the day to your personal preferences.

Don't think that I would agree with your observation that fewer and fewer book ship excursions. I have found that the cruise lines (HAL, Princess, Celebrity are ones I have been on in the past year) are selling out most of their excursions these days. Many before the cruise even starts. Not what you would see if fewer are booking with the cruise line.

Edited by RDC1

Whaaa??? I am missing something here. How could you be two hours from the ship, which is leaving in 45 minutes, and possibly get back in time?

I fully admit to not being good at solving word math problems -- but it doesn't seem possible if you are two hours from the ship that you could possibly get back in 40 minutes...? :confused:

I took it to mean two hours walking or by mass transit, thus faster getting back by hitching a ride.

I researched and found a tour company that follows cruise ships all over the world and makes their business setting up tours at the ships ports.

I'm interested in your research. Want to share the result with me? :)

We have never had a problem finding a private guide, a private tour, or joining a group for a shore excursion. It takes a little research.

We travel to Europe often. We are astounded at the excursion prices, the transfer prices, and the hotel prices that the cruise lines charge. I sense that they are taking advantage of inexperienced travellers, the elderly, or those who think that there will be a language/custom issue.

Our most recent comparison was in NZ on RCI. The ship's train trip tour was $209 USD per person. The same trip, minus the box lunch and 175ml bottle of wine, was $80. USD plus another 10 to get to the train station. It was a snap to get the info yet the ships tour was sold out. There were many fellow cruisers who did the same as us.

ces are Pare whaft they are.;it is always our choice whether to tour independently or through the ship. They are notaktking adgvantage of anyone IMO. They do not forcedanyone to book ship tours.lB]

Edited by sail7seas

You know we pay a lot more for a ship's tour than a private tour. You would think that the ship would try and lure us back to booking with them. I know a lot want the assurance of arriving back on time with a ships tour and peace of mind but sometimes the prices are ridiculous! I was looking a couple of months ago at what tours we want to take on our 24-day Med. cruise in Sept. I wrote down each city with the attractions listed and the price of the ship's tour. I was going to use them if I couldn't find a good private tour or if I wanted peace of mind, such as Rome.

I went in today to read up on a couple of ports and the attractions they offered and happened to look at some of the prices. WOW have they gone up in price. A 3-hour tour in Crete of Knosis Palace was $59.95 and today's bargain price is $74.95!!!

Ephesus and the Virgin Mary's House was $76.95 and now it is 84.95.

I am definitely not taking a ship's tour! What prices!!!

HAL offers reduced prices on shore excursions for early booking. A call to HAL will get you the date when the price will go up. On my HAL cruise around Australia this fall, the website showed clearly which tours were offering reduce prices and by how much they were reduced. There was a problem booking some of them online but I called and the HAL agent got me the reductions - even going to some trouble to get her manager to put the reduced price in. The deadline for reduced fares for my cruise was April 15th. I booked tours where there was a question of distance or where I could not find a local operator with a tour I wanted. I have also found that some local operators will tell you on their website that tours may not be available when a ship is in.

Many of you are missing my point from earlier. I have no issue with people booking cruise line excursions. We do occasionally. (We also book private excursions, and DIY in ports.) My point was that you can't create a high demand for cruise line excursions and then be surprised when the prices go up.

I understand people want the perceived safety of cruise line excursions, although there is virtually no documented cases of private excursions causing people to miss ships. Artificially increasing this demand by causing fear of private excursions doesn't help the pricing issue.[/quote]

I have had personal experience with seeing people miss the ship. Waved good-bye as we took off and they were on the pier. Once that stairway rolls in and that watertight door closes and the pilot says go! You go --even if you can see someone on the dock frantically waving. Thousands of dollars at stake for the docking fees, the pilot fees, the tug fees, the harbor master permit to go and even fuel costs to idle (not to mention often another ship ready to pull into the dock paying those fees too). If something going really wrong on a tour bus etc from the ship -- they will most often have communication with the excursion or port agent and if they can and if it is enough people -- perhaps can get permission from Corporate Office to negotiate a small change in time with local officials. IT COSTS THEM LOTS OF MONEY. I've heard that some tour companies working for the cruiseline even have to carry insurance to cover those costs if they are late getting back -- so it costs them money -- that's why it is rare for a tour to get back late -- no last minute I think I can make it if all the lights are green. If a tour does not get back -- then the port agent is in charge of getting the passenger to the next port AT THE PASSENGER'S OWN EXPENSE. And no your wife saying you aren't back yet, please wait -- will not do it. Overheard that hysterical conversation also. The idea that the ship will wait for one of their tours CAN be true BUT the idea that the ship waits for a private tour is closer to NEVER TRUE. Corporate would NOT be happy to spend the money. If Captain could negotiate the few minutes stay with all without money charges perhaps a few minutes but the domino effect on the shipping lanes and the pier and the transits schedules would make it very very few minutes.

Don't underestimate the worth of being on cruise line excursion -- there are some benefits and some assurances and some factors that are not obvious. The cruise line or their agents check for legal paperwork for tour guides or companies, insurance, equipment must be of certain standard and safety inspected, and you have one more person to go to if you don't get what you were contracted for, you get ripped off or whatever. This is for the corporation's safety and insurance benefits but at least passenger benefits some too. Private tour you are literally putting your life and property and vacation in the hands of a private citizen that you found on the internet recommended by people you don't know on a site that takes money to "feature" people's ads for services. Even Local Tours is just a booking agent who will work for anyone that gives them 50% of the tour fee. Sometimes and in some places I want the big bus and it's protections. Sometimes the Big Bus with the tour number is the only game in town!

Many on CC take a BIG attitude when others have a different opinion on shore excursions and tell all loudly that they are cattle herds, over expensive, horrible. Generally on the hundred or so shore excursions I have been on they ran from OK to terrific. Private tours (about 50 ) have been good to really terrific AND one didn't show up and 7 the person I contracted with and equipment I requested (certain car size etc.) had major differences. One tour tried to double my price but I had my paperwork with me on the phone.

State your opinion but don't try to get all folks off shore excursions -- they don't have the knowledge, ability or prior work to pull off DIY or private tour. Besides if everybody is snatching up the good independent guides I won't get one.

MEANWHILE: Friendly reminder. When going ashore, private, DIY or Cruise excursion you need to have some things with you. The cruise newspaper with the port agent's name and address and phone number. (I didn't do this for the longest time -- it is important -- that is the legal lifeline and communication link to the ship!). Identification, I carry the photo copy of my passport -- but generally I take the passport itself. You can not go or come from a country and you can not even return to the USA without that document. If you got sick on shore or did not get back on the ship -- you stay in that place until you get proper documentation (supposedly they give documents to port agent if they can find them in cabin). Cruise card to get back on -- that is your "photo id" to enter ship -- part of enhanced security. Most often now you are asked for cruise card to even enter the docking area by locals and cruise staff. Money useful stuff! and Credit Card more useful stuffs.

Edited by Bowie MeMe

I have had personal experience with seeing people miss the ship. Waved good-bye as we took off and they were on the pier. Once that stairway rolls in and that watertight door closes and the pilot says go! You go --even if you can see someone on the dock frantically waving.

Whoa, hang on a minute. No one said the ship wouldn't leave people behind. BUT in my experience (and apparently in CruiserBruce's) the people left behind are virtually never late as a result of being on private tours. Mostly it is a sad lack of attention to timing among those who wander off on their own, or -- especially on some types of cruises -- who have a little too much to drink. Also, in Europe I have run into several reputable tour operators who guarantee to get you back to the ship on time, or they'll get you to the next port on THEIR dime.

I've heard that some tour companies working for the cruiseline even have to carry insurance to cover those costs if they are late getting back -- so it costs them money -- that's why it is rare for a tour to get back late -- no last minute I think I can make it if all the lights are green.

I have to disagree that it is rare for ship tours to return late. In the Mediterranean, time and again I have been back from my private tour or independent ramblings with a safe margin of time before all aboard. So much so that I well recall being showered, dressed for dinner, and seated in the Pinnacle bar enjoying a well-earned martini when I'd start hearing announcements about the ship departure being delayed due to late arriving tours. Heck, in Israel, the late-arriving tours did not get back to the ship until around 3 hours past sail time.

If anything, I'd say ship tours seem to arrive back late with relative frequency and impunity. One night at dinner I talked to some people who had been on one of these late arriving tours in Egypt. She said their guide knew they were running very late, but refused to rush people out of the stop for souvenir shopping at the end of the day before the long drive back. Of course, I'm sure she was getting a nice kickback. :cool:

Some interesting points, but I have to take issue with a couple of them. :o (See my comments in green above.)

Bowie MeMe, please provide proof the people you have seen left on the dock are on private excursions.

I agree with cruisemom42. I have seen late cruise line excursions (and the ship waiting), and am aware of people missing the ship. However, I am not aware of any that miss the ship due to a private excursion screw up. Been on Cruise Critic for a pretty long time, and can't recall any comments about private companies missing the ship. The private companies risk their entire reputations on people not missing the ship..

Could it happen? Of course, no denying that. Humans are involved. But it is a "struck by lightning" type occurrence- far, far, far below one percent.

By the way, I did witness, on a ship's excursion (Lucca and Pisa) a tour guide tell a older couple who were far from keeping up with the schedule, that if they weren't at the bus at XX:XX, the bus would leave, and they were on their own. They didn't make it to the bus, but they made it to the ship...don't know how.

Edited by CruiserBruce

You know we pay a lot more for a ship's tour than a private tour. You would think that the ship would try and lure us back to booking with them. I know a lot want the assurance of arriving back on time with a ships tour and peace of mind but sometimes the prices are ridiculous! I was looking a couple of months ago at what tours we want to take on our 24-day Med. cruise in Sept. I wrote down each city with the attractions listed and the price of the ship's tour. I was going to use them if I couldn't find a good private tour or if I wanted peace of mind, such as Rome.

I went in today to read up on a couple of ports and the attractions they offered and happened to look at some of the prices. WOW have they gone up in price. A 3-hour tour in Crete of Knosis Palace was $59.95 and today's bargain price is $74.95!!!

Ephesus and the Virgin Mary's House was $76.95 and now it is 84.95.

I am definitely not taking a ship's tour! What prices!!!

I know that back in Dec. 2015 Holland had a 10% off selected excursion promotion going on that was suppose to expire in mid March but they extended it to April 2016. That doesn't explain the nearly 35% increase on one of the tours. I wonder if it booked up and they had to open a second tour so it was more expensive.

Utahtea

Bowie MeMe, please provide proof the people you have seen left on the dock are on private excursions.

I agree with cruisemom42. I have seen late cruise line excursions (and the ship waiting), and am aware of people missing the ship. However, I am not aware of any that miss the ship due to a private excursion screw up. Been on Cruise Critic for a pretty long time, and can't recall any comments about private companies missing the ship. The private companies risk their entire reputations on people not missing the ship..

Could it happen? Of course, no denying that. Humans are involved. But it is a "struck by lightning" type occurrence- far, far, far below one percent.

By the way, I did witness, on a ship's excursion (Lucca and Pisa) a tour guide tell a older couple who were far from keeping up with the schedule, that if they weren't at the bus at XX:XX, the bus would leave, and they were on their own. They didn't make it to the bus, but they made it to the ship...don't know how.

As with much on Cruise Critic -- you take it and believe or you don't. why would I lie or even embellish anymore than you? I say that I have seen or talked to people who have seen private tours cause the ship to leave folks behind. Proof -- well I don't have you tube video so there you go. I think it happens a lot more than you think Bruce. But who goes about blaming themselves and their own cheapness for the troubles they have? Much better to say the cruise line is overcharging you BUT ME I'm smart enough to do my own and it is just as good nah better and you are the fools. . Sometimes private tours are just as good -- sometimes not. If you feel better thinking you have stuck it to the Man -- good for you.

Out of here. It was fun Until it wasn't.

Wow I created quite the little round of opinions didn't I lol. You know everyone, up until a couple of weeks ago I did not know that the excursion prices could go up. I knew they were a bit more, like $5-10 more if you waited and booked on the ship but it wasn't until I was on my Feb. roll call that I read about the prices going down and the person was telling us to look at our booked shore excursions to see if any were affected. That is when I went into HAL's and looked as I do have a Rome tour booked with HAL. With it being such a distance from the port, I like the "peace of mind" booking with the ship's tour. Of course I have not read about any private tours being late and missing the boat as their reputation depends on getting back on time.

So whatever you decide to do, that is your decision and there is no right nor wrong.

By the way, my private Ephesus tour is $55 U.S. including entrance fee and $10 U.S. for the Terrace Houses so $65 U.S. each rather than $84.95. It is a company highly recommended on Trip Advisor and our friends were just there a couple of weeks ago and recommended them also.

As with much on Cruise Critic -- you take it and believe or you don't. why would I lie or even embellish anymore than you? I say that I have seen or talked to people who have seen private tours cause the ship to leave folks behind. Proof -- well I don't have you tube video so there you go. I think it happens a lot more than you think Bruce. But who goes about blaming themselves and their own cheapness for the troubles they have? Much better to say the cruise line is overcharging you BUT ME I'm smart enough to do my own and it is just as good nah better and you are the fools. . Sometimes private tours are just as good -- sometimes not. If you feel better thinking you have stuck it to the Man -- good for you.

Out of here. It was fun Until it wasn't.

I am certainly not saying "I have stuck it to the man". You must not have noted I stated we have done private tours, ship excursions, and DIY. We have traveled extensively in the world outside of cruising, and understand how to get around in the world without 45 or 50 of our new best friends, some of whom are "chronologically challenged" and can't get back to the bus at the requested time if their life depended on it.

I am also leery of third party reports, as they frequently are narrow or missing many details, or more importantly, facts. So, "I have heard other people talk about" is a thin accusation, unless they identify vendors and specific facts, like ports or cities. Understand the concept of "hearsay'?

I have yet to hear anyone on the Ports boards say: "I booked with XYZ, and they caused us to miss the ship, in ABC port". That would get a lot of credence, if there were specifics and facts. Believe me, if it happened, and was presented in a credible manner, it would be headline news on Cruise Critic.

I can give you two examples. On a recent Princess cruise in south america. There was a ship excursion to Machu Picchu. Some folks decided that the ship excursion was two expensive and made their own arrangements. I recall reading one actually make the comment that since they were on the same aircraft as the Princess excursion what could go wrong. On the flight back from Cusco an engine failed (reported bird strike) on takeoff. The plane aborted and ended up a little way off the runway. Airport closed, no way back. The ship had to leave with around 100 Princess excursion passengers, one group of 11 (said to be a CC group), one couple doing their own, and another group that used American Express for their trip. Princess took care of their passengers pt them up in first class hotels, made their flight arrangements, the ship made an unscheduled stop in Ecuador to pick them up there. The couple on their own made their own arrangements and made it to Ecuador. The American Express group arrived in Ecuador with the Princess group. The remaining 11 did not make it back on board until the normal stop in Costa Rica a few days later. The Princess group got all expenses covered and were rebated for the extra days they missed on board ship.

Another similar case was in Skagway, in the fall a couple of years ago. The ferry from Haines could not make it back due to weather. The ship had to leave the Princess excursion passengers got flown to Juneau by Princess. Those on the ferry independently had to make their own arrangements at their own expense to rejoin the ship in Juneau.

Whaaa??? I am missing something here. How could you be two hours from the ship, which is leaving in 45 minutes, and possibly get back in time?

I fully admit to not being good at solving word math problems -- but it doesn't seem possible if you are two hours from the ship that you could possibly get back in 40 minutes...? :confused:

It would have taken us 2 hours to get back on our own,walking ,looking for buses ,etc.

We hitched with a guy,told him our problem and he got us back .He was native to the island and took roads that he was familiar with.

DH and I have done all kinds of tours. We chose to do a ship's overnight tour in Egypt for peace of mind. Excellent with no hassles. We spoke to other members on our roll call who had organised the same tour for half the cost of the ship's tour, but we were prepared to pay the extra cost and had factored that into our budget. No problem. We have joined tours organised through our roll calls which were excellent. We have had private tours which we organised ourselves via the Internet and recommendations on Trip Advisor. We have done numerous DIY tours and our own walking tours.

I believe that whatever gives peace of mind and no stress should be what you factor into your decision making. Whatever makes your cruise the stress free holiday it should be. We all have the same goal - see the world, have a holiday, and do it with the least stress possible. Happy cruising everyone.