Eggs

hansi

get both no probs in Oz dont know why any one would worry on the colour of the shell ?? if you ask me an egg is an egg the yolk and white is all we eat not the shell the shell is just what holds the yolk and white in place till a chick is grown from embryo or we crack it open to eat it white or brown shell don't taste any different either so not sure why anyone would worry on that ??

Strange things that some people worry about.

When I was young - far too long ago, and living in NZ, brown eggs were quite rare. Occasionally we would get the odd one or two if buying farm eggs and they were fought over because brown eggs always tasted better, y'know. :D

Not true. When in the UK there are many UK produced food loaded there, and when in Italy a lot of the meat is from local suppliers. This can be seen and verified when loading takes place at various ports. In many instances European food safety laws are stricter than US ones. During the ships tour the F&B manager explained it all.

Don't know about the rest of the world where Princess cruises.

Exactly, which is why you can't buy US beef or chicken in Europe.

I know that jingle, and grew up in the Chicago area, so brown eggs were a new thing when we moved to Maine.

How about "Anthony! Anthony!"

LOL! The woman who played the mama in the commercials just passed away in February, and you would have thought a major celebrity had died, based on the news coverage, locally.

I also meant to mention, I grew up with both grandparents having farms, so was used to eating both brown and white eggs, but acknowledge that in the grocery stores we only ever had white eggs when I was younger (on the west coast). Here in New England, we only see white eggs in the stores at Easter (because they're easier to dye, as mentioned above.)

Also, when we were on the "Ultimate Ship Tour" a few years ago, the Executive Chef told us that the great majority of eggs used on the ship are used as ingredients in other dishes (including as scrambled eggs), and come in cartons. He assured us that they are "real eggs" (not powdered, as some have suggested), but already cracked. No way of knowing what color shell these eggs had, I suppose. ;)

LOL! The woman who played the mama in the commercials just passed away in February, and you would have thought a major celebrity had died, based on the news coverage, locally.

I also meant to mention, I grew up with both grandparents having farms, so was used to eating both brown and white eggs, but acknowledge that in the grocery stores we only ever had white eggs when I was younger (on the west coast). Here in New England, we only see white eggs in the stores at Easter (because they're easier to dye, as mentioned above.)

Also, when we were on the "Ultimate Ship Tour" a few years ago, the Executive Chef told us that the great majority of eggs used on the ship are used as ingredients in other dishes (including as scrambled eggs), and come in cartons. He assured us that they are "real eggs" (not powdered, as some have suggested), but already cracked. No way of knowing what color shell these eggs had, I suppose. ;)

That is amazing,the eggs are already cracked and in cartons.Because normally the shell is natures way of preserving the yoke and white.In the olden days eggs were smeared in goose fat to preserve them even further,because an egg shell,is impervious guessing a carton is now much better than a natural shell.:eek::eek:

Brown eggs look nicer? ;) :D

Yes, I have seen some white shelled eggs in Australia. They were cage eggs, which I refuse to buy.

can get white free range too seen them also had chooks years ago that laid white shelled eggs they wandered around an acre and a quarter property we had used to get both , had a mixture of breeds , got red coloured ones now forgot the breed but they do just brown

Strange things that some people worry about.

yep :) whether it is eggs or other stuff all good though got to worry on something i guess i am sure i do sometimes

we got chooks and one has a white ear and no all three chooks lay brown eggs including the white ear one

It's a rule of thumb not an exact science. Generally if the breed of chicken have white ears they lay white eggs.

There's always that one odd offspring no one wants to talk about:):):)

Take care,

Vinnie

Edited by CruzVinnieCruz

question though read here mention of already cracked eggs?? how would they store those? in buckets ?

They come in cartons like the cocktail mixes, but a bit bigger.

There are whole still in the shell eggs on board that are used for some dishes such as fried eggs at breakfast, but the 'cracked' are used for scrambled, omelettes, and probably baking as well.

I was told, by a Princess employee, that all food for Princess ships come from the USA. This is because of food safety concerns. It doesn’t matter where in the world the ship is, the supplies are shipped to the destination from the USA.

As long as this is true, the white eggs are probably used because they are less expensive in most of the states.

I find this ironic as the US chicken and egg supply has endemic salmonella. Other countries' don't have this issue. Italy sells their eggs right on the shelf next to the flour, Mexican Walmarts have pallets of eggs next to the vegetables at Easter time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

well theres one thing we do know,the scrambled eggs come out of a plastic bucket.I think the colour of the bucket is yellow,;)and has no relationship to a chicken whatsoever.:eek:

That mixture does have a relationship to a chicken as it started out as real eggs. They have been pasteurized and a lot of food services use them because they are safe even if the eggs would be under cooked.

Take care,

Vinnie

P.S. - Eggs we buy in the store will never turn into chicks because hens do not need a rooster to lay eggs. No roosters in the hen house in a commercial operation.

It's a rule of thumb not an exact science. Generally if the breed of chicken have white ears they lay white eggs.

There's always that one odd offspring no one wants to talk about:):):)

Take care,

Vinnie

http://www.backyardpoultry.com/wiki/index.php/Chicken_Breeds_Chart

Ours might be the rode island red but not 100% sure on that

Speaking of eggs, why do Princess's scrambled eggs taste fishy? I couldn't eat them. It's hard to mess up scrambled eggs.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I've never found that.

What ship?

Speaking of eggs, why do Princess's scrambled eggs taste fishy? I couldn't eat them. It's hard to mess up scrambled eggs.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I find that cooking in canola oil gives off a fishy smell and taste. It may be the non-stick fat/oil that they are using.

That mixture does have a relationship to a chicken as it started out as real eggs. They have been pasteurized and a lot of food services use them because they are safe even if the eggs would be under cooked.

Take care,

Vinnie

P.S. - Eggs we buy in the store will never turn into chicks because hens do not need a rooster to lay eggs. No roosters in the hen house in a commercial operation.

Sorry i was talking about the bucket having no relation to the chicken

Taking care:)

I was told, by a Princess employee, that all food for Princess ships come from the USA. This is because of food safety concerns. It doesn’t matter where in the world the ship is, the supplies are shipped to the destination from the USA.

I wonder if that is true for the Australian-based ships. Australia is very strict as to what products come into the country and eggs are a no-no. Even egg yolks that are cooked but still whole are banned.

I brought a Moon Cake back from Singapore once as a gift for a friend. It had whole egg yolks in it and it was confiscated. :(

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

I wonder if that is true for the Australian-based ships. Australia is very strict as to what products come into the country and eggs are a no-no. Even egg yolks that are cooked but still whole are banned.

I brought a Moon Cake back from Singapore once as a gift for a friend. It had whole egg yolks in it and it was confiscated. :(

Not true here. Had a long talk with a F&B manager one cruise, some stuff is certainly shipped in from USA, BUT a lot is taken on here, fruit and vegetable, meat, beer, soft drink, eggs. We're a few we discussed.