Excursions and Teenagers

Joannedisfan

I've started looking at excursions for our Sept cruise. We want to do Whale Watching and the Dog Sledding. Should I book them asap or can I wait till closer to the cruise? Do I pay for them when I book? We booked with a TA. When I go to pay for excursions will it ask for a credit card number or will it already have it on file?

Also my teenager wants to do a different excursion than the rest of us. She is 16 and very responsible. I have no problems with her going. Does HAL or tour operators have any requirements that an adult must go with her?

Not sure if they will let a 16 year do an excursion without an adult being present. I do know that no minor can get off the ship without an adult traveling with her. Their ID card beeps each time they try to get off the ship and must be with a legal guardian or person traveling with them over the age of 18.

I've started looking at excursions for our Sept cruise. We want to do Whale Watching and the Dog Sledding. Should I book them asap or can I wait till closer to the cruise? Do I pay for them when I book? We booked with a TA. When I go to pay for excursions will it ask for a credit card number or will it already have it on file?

Also my teenager wants to do a different excursion than the rest of us. She is 16 and very responsible. I have no problems with her going. Does HAL or tour operators have any requirements that an adult must go with her?

OP, as expertly advised by the previous poster, HAL rules and regs require anyone below the age of 18 to be accompanied by an adult when scanning at the gangway to leave the ship. Actually, an alarm will go off anytime a minor presents his/her ship's I.D. at the gangway laptop. What you, as the parent, allow your minor child to do once ashore, is up to you.

There might be an issue however, with Shorex (onboard) or, when ordering excursions pre-cruise with the fact that you are ordering for a minor, going on that excursion by herself, without such an adult. Give it a try at home and see how far you get with the restrictions

Some excursions sell out quickly. We have gotten on ships and listened to people complain about the excursion they wanted was already sold out before the ship sailed.

Book them as soon as possible.

If you change your mind about an excursion, you can cancel it up to 3 days before the ship sails and the refund will go back to your credit card. Once on the ship, if you cancel on embarkation day, you will get the full refund in the form of shipboard credit. After that a 10% penalty will apply if you cancel before the deadline listed in the "Journey's Ashore" booklet that will be in your cabin. If you miss that deadline, no refund.

Another potential option would be to book a private excursion for your daughter, if the operators will accept an unaccompanied minor. She could disembark with you and then go her own way. I wouldn't normally recommend this, but you believe that she is sufficiently mature and responsible.

A word of caution: should the tour be delayed and not get back to the ship on time, the ship may well depart without her. Most private tour operators are scrupulously punctual, but things can go wrong. The likelihood is slim, but it's still something to be considered.

I might add that even if you were to take separate HAL tours, if that was allowed, you might run into the same problem. Although HAL will wait for a reasonable period of time for one of its tour groups if delayed, it can't wait indefinitely. Tour members may be flown on to the next port to rejoin the ship, so you could be separated from her. Some teenagers might view that as a great adventure, but few parents would be happy under those circumstances.

So, while it may be an option, there's lots to think about before booking a separate excursion for her.

Another potential option would be to book a private excursion for your daughter, if the operators will accept an unaccompanied minor. She could disembark with you and then go her own way. I wouldn't normally recommend this, but you believe that she is sufficiently mature and responsible.

A word of caution: should the tour be delayed and not get back to the ship on time, the ship may well depart without her. Most private tour operators are scrupulously punctual, but things can go wrong. The likelihood is slim, but it's still something to be considered.

I might add that even if you were to take separate HAL tours, if that was allowed, you might run into the same problem. Although HAL will wait for a reasonable period of time for one of its tour groups if delayed, it can't wait indefinitely. Tour members may be flown on to the next port to rejoin the ship, so you could be separated from her. Some teenagers might view that as a great adventure, but few parents would be happy under those circumstances.

So, while it may be an option, there's lots to think about before booking a separate excursion for her.

I bolded this only to agree with the poster.. This is good advice.. Have heard that occasionally a ship has had to depart & not wait for Passengers on their own tours due to port problems.. There have even been times when ships are told to leave early.. I would always be sure that an adult is with our teenage Grandchildren at all times when off the ship, even if they are responsible..

Edited by serendipity1499