Celebrity calling discount a perk?

webecruzin2

Called my TA because I saw that our upcoming repo cruise showed "1 perk" when I was checking the fare. I was surprised because I've never seen a "perk" on a repo before.

The fare hasn't changed from what I booked a month ago but when my TA checked with Celebrity they said the low fare was the perk. It's no biggie because it's s great rate.

Thought that was a little strange so I thought I'd check to see if anyone else has heard of this.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Want to add that in order to see it as a perk you must go thru the Celebrity website and click on go big, then click the box that says Caribbean then click a repo date such as Summit out of Bayonne in October.

Called my TA because I saw that our upcoming repo cruise showed "1 perk" when I was checking the fare. I was surprised because I've never seen a "perk" on a repo before.

The fare hasn't changed from what I booked a month ago but when my TA checked with Celebrity they said the low fare was the perk. It's no biggie because it's s great rate.

Thought that was a little strange so I thought I'd check to see if anyone else has heard of this.

Last month I booked a RS for our first Celebrity cruise, Abu Dhabi to Singapore in Jan 2018. Even though they run it back and forth repeatedly during the Asian season, Celebrity calls this a "repositioning" cruise since "it doesn't start and finish in the same port". They used this bogus definition to try and exempt the suite perks presently being offered on their site from our booking which really got me riled. After a couple of extended phone calls, and after I pointed out that several Med cruises not starting and ending in the same port weren't classified as "repositioning" cruises, they gave us OBC to cover the two perks not all ready included as RS amenities. Mr. Squeaky Wheel got greased, but the whole thing didn't pass the ethical "smell test" and it definitely wasn't the way to start a good relationship. I'll transfer the booking to my TA in the coming days to get their perks, that is if this deal gets un-stuck from my craw.

Edited by blizzardboy

Last month I booked a RS for our first Celebrity cruise, Abu Dhabi to Singapore in Jan 2018. Even though they run it back and forth repeatedly during the Asian season, Celebrity calls this a "repositioning" cruise since "it doesn't start and finish in the same port". They used this bogus definition to try and exempt the suite perks presently being offered on their site from our booking which really got me riled. After a couple of extended phone calls, and after I pointed out that several Med cruises not starting and ending in the same port weren't classified as "repositioning" cruises, they gave us OBC to cover the two perks not all ready included as RS amenities. Mr. Squeaky Wheel got greased, but the whole thing didn't pass the ethical "smell test" and it definitely wasn't the way to start a good relationship. I'll transfer the booking to my TA in the coming days to get their perks, that is if this deal gets un-stuck from my craw.

Loved your post. We are booked on the reverse trip in Apr 2018 and the B2B AbuDhabi to Rome. They are both regarded as repositioning. I always thought repositioning meant lower fares and that is why there are no perks. Well, the Singapore segment has really high fares and all we got was $100 OBC for booking on board. I think Celebrity is declaring more and more of their cruises as repositioning as a way of getting out of giving us anything. We just sailed on Millennium B2B2B from Singapore to Vancouver. That whole itinerary is a repositioning cruise because Millennium is returning to the west coast for the Alaska season. The only part of it that was declared repositioning was the middle section, Sydney - Honolulu. We even got all 3 perks on the Honolulu - Vancouver segment which didn't make sense to me as that is a repositioning cruise if there ever was one.

I'm getting really fed up with Celebrity's pricing and we may just cancel this one.

It's not too hard to calculate the daily cost of a cruise and realize that these are called perks rather than free amenities when it becomes obvious that YOU are paying significantly higher fares when your itinerary includes these things.

The promotions may "perk" you up and fool you into thinking you are getting something complimentary..........but no, you are paying for these things by a higher fare. Most Celebrity cruises in a Verandah class are now near $200 pp/day or more vs. closer to $125 a few years ago. THAT together with the decrease in staffing, cabin amenities and cruise activities are making cruising on Celebrity AND other cruise lines problematic compared to just flying to a location and travel by train or car with longer stays per location. In fact, our best trip was when the Millenium lost an azipod and our cruise out of Vancouver was cancelled. We still flew to Vancouver, rented a car for $125/week and had a FANTASTIC 1500 mile round trip to Calgary/Ice Fields Parkway/Whistler and several other stops.................all for much less than the cruise cost when food and lodging were added in.

Edited by OBX-Cruisers

Looking at our November Suez Canal cruise it is also listed as a cruise under the special Asia cruises that would be entitled to Bev pkg (or choice of perk) and $200 air credit. I called Celebrity to get it applied to my booking and they said that even though it's listed as an eligible sailing under the promo for June, it's subject to capacity control and it's no longer available. I said that it was still considered a benefit if booking from the UK and in Canada it only came out as a promo two days prior. Celebrity seems to be doing this bait and switch a bit too much now.

Looking at our November Suez Canal cruise it is also listed as a cruise under the special Asia cruises that would be entitled to Bev pkg (or choice of perk) and $200 air credit. I called Celebrity to get it applied to my booking and they said that even though it's listed as an eligible sailing under the promo for June, it's subject to capacity control and it's no longer available. I said that it was still considered a benefit if booking from the UK and in Canada it only came out as a promo two days prior. Celebrity seems to be doing this bait and switch a bit too much now.

I regularly find advertised cruises do not offer the perks in UK, that have been advertised by email from US.

I've been told many a time by Celebrity UK that a certain offer isn't being marketed by them, it's a US only offer.

Makes me mad, as we all end up on the same ship.

I did once gain an advantage- an included drinks package was advertised on a repositioning TA 'at today's prices.' I rang, but the price was too much. However, 2 weeks later, the price came down, so I had the included package added at the reduced 'today's price.'

Who knows any more. But it sure did perk you up!!

LOL, yes it did. Now passengers are telling X what they should consider their sailings to be... I better get on the phone today about my upcoming sailings and argue the same, only if I had the time to find exceptions to 'the policy'!

I say good for those who do, though.

bon voyage

Loved your post. We are booked on the reverse trip in Apr 2018 and the B2B AbuDhabi to Rome. They are both regarded as repositioning. I always thought repositioning meant lower fares and that is why there are no perks. Well, the Singapore segment has really high fares and all we got was $100 OBC for booking on board. I think Celebrity is declaring more and more of their cruises as repositioning as a way of getting out of giving us anything. We just sailed on Millennium B2B2B from Singapore to Vancouver. That whole itinerary is a repositioning cruise because Millennium is returning to the west coast for the Alaska season. The only part of it that was declared repositioning was the middle section, Sydney - Honolulu. We even got all 3 perks on the Honolulu - Vancouver segment which didn't make sense to me as that is a repositioning cruise if there ever was one.

I'm getting really fed up with Celebrity's pricing and we may just cancel this one.

"Repositioning" has always meant a cruise happening due to a change of market or season, i.e. leaving Asia for the Med in April, or leaving Europe for the Caribbean in November. In the fine print for the current promo they exempt Galapagos cruises, Transatlantic, Transpacific, repositioning, and South America repositioning cruises. I don't have a problem with the rules. They were there day one of the promo. What I do have a problem with is Celebrity's liberal, totally inconsistent, and self-serving classification of "repositioning" cruises. Having a bunch of "gotcha" moments in your marketing plan seems counter productive.

Edited by blizzardboy

This whole thread really upsets me. I have no problem with marketing and pricing policies but bait and switch ticks me off!

Most Alaska sailings are one way, either Northbound or Southbound. And they are DEFINITELY not low fares.

It is really a shame that every time X has new rate/ perks and if I want to apply that the existing booking, have to fight for it. "This doesn't go with that, cannot be used if you have this, etc. Somebody is making big bucks at X to come up with that game. They make it very complicated. Even TAs hate RC/ X price games.

This has always annoyed me as well! The South American cruises that operate all season doing one-way sailings from Buenos Aires to Valparaiso are also exempt from the Go big, B, B promo. This makes NOOOO sense because these are expensive itineraries! And as you pointed out ... and one-way cruise is NOT the same as a "re-positioning!"

Edited by bhughey

I booked the same itinerary for Feb 2018, and there no perks. Ours is the 2nd leg of a B2B and we got the suite perks for the first leg. I didn't bother to try and fight it that Isnt a repo. I just did some comparison shopping and found a TA with group rates for a Suites on both legs and the savings from lower rates more than made up for no perks on the 2nd leg.

I wonder if Celebrity calls the panama canal itineraries 'repositioning' or the South America around the horn 'repositioning'

I personally think company personal say things at times that is not exactly kosher.

We had scripts for our employees to allow them to be familiar with policy and to quote it correctly and consistently. When we changed something, we changed the script they used. Worked pretty good. Did not parrot them, but did want our message to be correctly told.

Doesn't matter what perks are/are not included, if the cruise is called a repo cruise or not....

We just look at the bottom line cost, look at then what we expect to spend on the cruise and then it is down to that value judgement...

"Is it worth it?"

If yes book, if no keep looking!

I checked the X website again today and they've corrected the wording.

Now if you pull up the cruise through their Go Big portal it no longer says "perk included" it now says "special offer".

I wish they had just admitted it was an error instead of saying the special offer is the perk.:rolleyes:

Oops, looks like they've raised the fare and it no longer even says special offer.

So glad I booked this one early.

Doesn't matter what perks are/are not included, if the cruise is called a repo cruise or not....

We just look at the bottom line cost, look at then what we expect to spend on the cruise and then it is down to that value judgement...

"Is it worth it?"

If yes book, if no keep looking!

That is a good strategy for sure. We just look to see if the itinerary is the one we want, then look at cabin pricing/dates, select a category based on what we want to spend, then book.

We do not worry about it 'being a good deal or not', just do we want to spend for whatever category we select from Veranda through CS.

Then check what 'extras' our TA provides and go for it from there.

bon voyage

This whole thread really upsets me. I have no problem with marketing and pricing policies but bait and switch ticks me off!

Most Alaska sailings are one way, either Northbound or Southbound. And they are DEFINITELY not low fares.

I think Alaska sailings are somewhat low, not the same as Caribbean about 1.5x higher, then again there is a different target market and filters out a few groups for sure by the time you pay to get there and home, some hotels and tours.... not for many who can readily afford the Caribbean... and many Caribbean passengers, can go on short notice as well. :D

• 1 year later...

I find it astonishing that so many people continue to cruise when they get so upset about everything and that things aren't the way it use to be, but they continue to cruise. I'm fairly new to cruising and absolutely love it. I didn't fall off the turnip truck yesterday so I know I'm paying an inflated price when the perks are included on our cruise with Celebrity. But I like them included even if it falsely makes me feel good.