Overpacking

lbfluffy

Packing for Alaska. My sweaters and sweatshirts are bulky. I'm going to need to do some scaling back. I keep being told by you awesome members that layers are the way to go. So I've also packed turtlenecks and t shirts, as well as my long pants. I'm not packing a bulky jacket, but a fairly warm windbreaker. Oh then of course the dinner clothes. Ugh!! Oh and then shoes!!

I've slowly been trying to plan out clothes for our alaska cruise next week too. It's definitely a daunting task, especially since it's our first cruise ever, and my husband has challenged me to using carry-ons only since we have to fly out to Seattle. I feel your pain! Lol

I always overpack, no matter how much I vow to not do so.

Leave the big coat at home for Alaska. I'm really glad that I did!

Alaska tends to be a lot more casual than some other cruises. One dressy dress for formal nights will be fine (you can get 2 dinners out of 1 dress) How many sweaters and sweatshirts do you need? And do you need both?

We would typically wear a t-shirt with a sweatshirt or hoodie over that, and finally had the windbreaker (flannel lined) as a topper if it was really cold. And the only time it was cold was when we were cruising in the glacier area. The weather was delightful for excursions.

OK, if you are wearing a t-shirt under your sweatshirt, you can get several wearings out of the sweatshirt. Dinner clothing--a couple black pants/skirts with varying tops goes a long way. For Alaska--2 pairs of tennis shoes (in case one gets wet), and one pair of good shoes for dinner.

And remember....there are self serve laundry rooms on the ship. Pack a Tide pod or two "just in case." No, I don't normally do laundry on a 1 week cruise, but knowing I can helps me to not overpack!

Our cruise is 10 days. We plan to take pictures this time around since it is our 30th wedding anniversary. I want to have different outfits for the dinners. I think I'll remove a sweater. I'm also planning to hit the gym so I need some workout wear. I'll weed my stuff down.

Hubby is an ultralight backpacker and has taught me well.

Multipurpose clothes (e.g. a tee shirt that doubles as PJs then into the laundry the next morning), and layers.

We each packed a carryon and small backpack for a 15-night cruise to Hawaii which included his suit, 3 formal dresses/gown for me, 4 Hawaiian dresses, 4 Hawaiian shirts for each of us, plus tee-shirts shorts, pants for around the ship, oh and slacks for dinner for hubby.

I wore my fleece shirt and light rain jacket onboard the ship (spent a night in San Francisco prior)

It helps that Princess does our laundry.

I would say we still overpacked because we didn't use own down jackets (900 down compresses down to nothing) on top of Mt Haleakala.

Was just thinking, we normally do early TD, but with this new Club Class Dining, we could pack even less clothes assuming we hav e different tablemates each night. They won't know if I wore the same dress twice :D

For Alaska, thermal underware (also doubles as PJs) for hiking on glaciers, Goretex jackets and pants (it was pouring in Ketchikan, but also has been sunny in the 70s in May)

Have fun packing.

Packing for Alaska. My sweaters and sweatshirts are bulky. I'm going to need to do some scaling back. I keep being told by you awesome members that layers are the way to go. So I've also packed turtlenecks and t shirts, as well as my long pants. I'm not packing a bulky jacket, but a fairly warm windbreaker. Oh then of course the dinner clothes. Ugh!! Oh and then shoes!!

That is why i won't go to Alaska.

Leave the big coat at home for Alaska. I'm really glad that I did!

Alaska tends to be a lot more casual than some other cruises. One dressy dress for formal nights will be fine (you can get 2 dinners out of 1 dress) How many sweaters and sweatshirts do you need? And do you need both?

We would typically wear a t-shirt with a sweatshirt or hoodie over that' date=' and finally had the windbreaker (flannel lined) as a topper if it was really cold. And the only time it was cold was when we were cruising in the glacier area. The weather was delightful for excursions.

[/quote']

We went to Alaska two years ago, leaving Vancouver on July 5... We had to buy a jacket before we got to the glaciers. It rained every day and was very cold! I wore lots and lots of layers and that wasn't enough. I finally broke down and bought one of the very available jackets.

Once we got to Whittier and then further inland, the layers were fine. Good luck and enjoy!

I cruised Alaska the end of May. I bought a Columbia waterproof jacket ( light weight like a windbreaker but waterproof like a rain coat). I wore layers underneath. Sometimes I only needed a cotton long sleeve shirt. Sometimes I added a sweatshirt. The coldest we experienced was 44 degrees. I brought stretch gloves and knit hats. It was 70 degrees when we were on glacier bay. You might want to include some t-shirts.

Was just thinking, we normally do early TD, but with this new Club Class Dining, we could pack even less clothes assuming we hav e different tablemates each night. They won't know if I wore the same dress twice :D

We do traditional dining and to be honest, I probably wouldn't notice if one of the ladies wore the same dress twice unless there was something really unusual about it.

I do the slacks and top thing and I wear a top more than once. I don't believe anyone really cares as long as you shower before dinner and are neat and clean. :D

That is why i won't go to Alaska.

I feel bad for you. You won't go to Alaska because you don't know what to wear or take. It's one of the best cruises I have taken. By the way I went the second week of August and ever day was between 70 & 80.

Tony

I am from Alaska and visit home often. The Alaska cruise (3 times) is still one of my favorite and will probably do another next year.

Pack fleece vest, fleece jacket some T's a pair of jeans and a couple pair of crops. Black flowy pants and a couple pretty tops!

For Alaska that works but God help me if its a trip to Europe ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I packed the same for South America and Alaska, a couple of long sleeve shirts, a sweatshirt and a lightweight cotton sweater which were alternated, a lightweight fleece vest and a Gore-Tex windbreaker. The above were layered as required. Also packed jeans, waterproof shoes, lightweight gloves and earmuffs. With the above I was warm visiting the penguins at Volunteer Point in the Falklands on a 50 degree windy and rainy day as well as in Alaska.

The two most often overlooked clothing items to keep you warm and dry are a warm and waterproof hat/cap and a pair of warm and waterproof shoes. You will lose more heat from your bare head than any other place. If your feet are wet and cold, so are you. Some mail order places with both are Cabelas and Bass Pro Shops.

BTW, I've spent multiple winters in Korea.

The waterproof shoes is a good idea. However I only have sneakers, sandals and dressy boots. I'm wondering if I have time to find some waterproof shoes. Maybe I'll check our local sporting goods store.

I've slowly been trying to plan out clothes for our alaska cruise next week too. It's definitely a daunting task, especially since it's our first cruise ever, and my husband has challenged me to using carry-ons only since we have to fly out to Seattle. I feel your pain! Lol

Was on Crown last week and EZ Check is now available if your airline participates

We leave the 23rd (wahoo!!!) for Fairbanks. We have a 6 day land tour followed by a 7 day southbound. We are taking one "carry on" size each to follow us around on the land tour and one moderately large (not our largest) bag to meet us on the ship. It should be plenty.

I will also carry my small day pack that I often take ashore as we will need to have something small that stays with us to carry valuables, meds, etc. and you can't take the carry on sized bags on the bus/train. They are trucked to the lodges.

The waterproof shoes is a good idea. However I only have sneakers, sandals and dressy boots. I'm wondering if I have time to find some waterproof shoes. Maybe I'll check our local sporting goods store.

You could check with Cabelas or Bass Pro Shop. Not sure when you're sailing. A local sporting goods store might have what you want. You'll need to find one that handles hunting wear or camping gear.

I did Alaska last year, July 3-10. Only needed a hoodie for glacier day. Got sunburned. It's summer, everything is melting. Don't schlep all of that heavy gear. Buy a cheap sweatshirt in Ketchikan, for $9.99.

Our first cruise was a 10 day SF/Alaska round trip. I wore a heavy hoodie type jacket in Glacier Bay. I wore a tee shirt in Ketchikan. We had a storm the first night and day of the cruise but, after that, we had beautiful weather everywhere we went. People in Ketchikan said they hadn't seen the sun in almost two weeks but it was beautiful when we got there and was the same in every port. One never knows with the weather...

Edited by Thrak

I did Alaska last year, July 3-10. Only needed a hoodie for glacier day. Got sunburned. It's summer, everything is melting. Don't schlep all of that heavy gear. Buy a cheap sweatshirt in Ketchikan, for $9.99.

good idea if it was the first port