What's the minimum time I want to have in Cartagena?

MisterBill99

I am looking at a Panama Canal cruise on one of the luxury brands for 2017 or 2018. I found a great itinerary on Crystal next year that ends up in NY (great since I would just be able to drive home) that has an overnight in Cartagena. Unfortunately, the balcony prices are higher than I'd like to pay so I looked at the 2018 cruise, which is more reasonably priced and has the added benefit of starting in SF rather than LA. But for some odd reason, they've cut the stay in Cartagena to 5 hours (10-3). Is that enough to see what I want to or should I look for another cruise? It seems like Regent gives you 9 hours in port, from 10-7 on the cruises I've checked.

• 3 weeks later...

In my experience 5 hours is ok but not ideal. When we were there earlier this year we took a tour and it was probably about that long. It's just a matter of booking a tour that takes you where you want to go and getting off the ship early. For instance, we didn't care about hiking to the top of the old fort. That would easily kill an hour. Seeing the churches and touring the old city were priorities for us and we got to do all of that. We did stop and spend like 10 minutes at the fort for photos but to be honest it was so hot I wouldn't have hiked it even if we were there long enough. Make no mistake, it's insufferably hot there. I can recommend Dora for the tour. I'm sure they will customize the tour for the port times. That's how they make a living.