Amsterdam Port Sail Away Question

Yes sailing out of Amsterdam is very interesting. You will see a nice part if the town if you are on a topdeck. The first part it will be on the left (portside), after that once in the northseacanal it will be most landscape (polders) on both sides with a small industrial section near Zaandam.

Donot forget to check the sailing through the locks in IJmuiden, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours after leaving Amsterdam.

Yes sailing out of Amsterdam is very interesting. You will see a nice part if the town if you are on a topdeck. The first part it will be on the left (portside), after that once in the northseacanal it will be most landscape (polders) on both sides with a small industrial section near Zaandam.

Donot forget to check the sailing through the locks in IJmuiden, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours after leaving Amsterdam.

Do all ships dock in the same place? (cruises that depart from Amsterdam as well as those just stopping for the day??)

We are on a MSC cruise in September that stops in Amsterdam.

Will we go through those locks you mention?

Thanks for any info.

Do all ships dock in the same place? (cruises that depart from Amsterdam as well as those just stopping for the day??)

We are on a MSC cruise in September that stops in Amsterdam.

Will we go through those locks you mention?

Thanks for any info.

Yes most ship dock in Amsterdam., almost next to city center. Some ships however dock in IJmuiden, which is 15 miles west of Amsterdam. You can check aboutt your ship on this Amsterdam terminal website. mSC Splendida is mentioned to dock in Amsterdam.

http://www.ptamsterdam.nl/nl/cruises-portal

Indeed coming and going to/from Amsterdam all ships need to go through the lock in IJmuiden.

If docked in IJmuiden no lock as they stay more outside.

Edited by Ine

I agree with Ine. I found leaving Amsterdam to be quite an interesting departure. We were docked near the city center, not far from the Central Train Station. At departure, I spent a couple hours on the deck going from side to side watching the scenery pass by. You will be in a pretty narrow channel much of the way, so it is easy to see both sides. Lots to look at. And as you pass through the locks that hold out the North Sea waters, it is very interesting if you have any interest in the engineering of Mother Nature being tamed.

If you're interested in a photo preview, here is a link to my photo album for the day which includes arriving at the ship (Celebrity Constellation), photos on board, and photos of the shoreline as we departed.

https://flic.kr/s/aHskmHQ3Jy

Edited by MeHeartCruising

Thanks for all the info...The Constellation was our first Celebrity cruise back in 2008...we are now elite plus...Our trip stopping in Amsterdam will be our first cruise since then on a different line.

I have only been in Amsterdam on a long flight layover and we managed to go into town for a couple of hours only (It was the day after some kind of HUGE celebration...maybe queens birthday?...It looked like a heck of a party with all the trash around!) Looking forward to spending a day/overnight in city.

Thanks for all the info...The Constellation was our first Celebrity cruise back in 2008...we are now elite plus...Our trip stopping in Amsterdam will be our first cruise since then on a different line.

I have only been in Amsterdam on a long flight layover and we managed to go into town for a couple of hours only (It was the day after some kind of HUGE celebration...maybe queens birthday?...It looked like a heck of a party with all the trash around!) Looking forward to spending a day/overnight in city.

Assuming you dock in central Amsterdam, you will be within walking distance of all the fun in the central city. I walked to the port from my hotel (passing thru the train station) as a short cut with my luggage in tow, so it's not a bad walk at all. Especially with no luggage! However, if you prefer, there are trams and taxis available to take you the short distance as well. You could make that call upon arrival and seeing how it all looks.

Loved your pictures. Thank you for the sneak peek.

One question:

On your pictures, was that the train station with the rounded roof? And, was that a nice sidewalk between the train and dock? I know we are supposed to be able to walk this but my "Google" view wasn't very good!

Thanks again

Loved your pictures. Thank you for the sneak peek.

One question:

On your pictures, was that the train station with the rounded roof? And, was that a nice sidewalk between the train and dock? I know we are supposed to be able to walk this but my "Google" view wasn't very good!

Thanks again

Yes, that is the train station with the rounded roofs. I was a healthy late 49 year old man when I did the walk and I found the walk from the train station to the ship dock to be quite easy. I had one large suitcase (on wheels) and a laptop bag with me. The distance might be as much as close to 1/2 mile. But on a nice day with nothing better to do, I didn't mind the walk. My hotel was actually about 1/2 mile from the the train station. The day before the cruise, I did a test run and explored the train station and found it had an entrance on the backside of the station (maybe on the lower level?) that exited along the waterfront. Going out that exit, it was a nice sidewalk the entire way to the ship. There is a slight uphill rise as you go over a bridge, but nothing strenuous if you're able to manage it. So on the day of the cruise, I checked out of the hotel and walked thru the train station with my luggage and out the back entrance and then along the water toward the ship. I would do it again, time and health permitting. I probably would not do it with multiple bags.

Pictures 6, 7, and 8 in my photo album show a picture I took probably half way to the ship from the train station as I was already on the bridge. The pictures are looking back at the route I had just walked.

Edited by MeHeartCruising

I agree with Ine. I found leaving Amsterdam to be quite an interesting departure. We were docked near the city center, not far from the Central Train Station. At departure, I spent a couple hours on the deck going from side to side watching the scenery pass by. You will be in a pretty narrow channel much of the way, so it is easy to see both sides. Lots to look at. And as you pass through the locks that hold out the North Sea waters, it is very interesting if you have any interest in the engineering of Mother Nature being tamed.

If you're interested in a photo preview, here is a link to my photo album for the day which includes arriving at the ship (Celebrity Constellation), photos on board, and photos of the shoreline as we departed.

https://flic.kr/s/aHskmHQ3Jy

Thanks for posting the link to the photos. These are really helpful.