Sailing on Rhapsody in one month - Venice stay pre,post-cruise questions

I will be sailing on Rhapsody of the Seas out of Venice on the July 15 voyage. I know it is a bit short in time but I originally booked the August 26 sailing had to change plans at the last minute. Anyway, I am looking for place to stay before and after the cruise and sort out transportation to and from the cruise terminal. Me and my girlfriend will arrive to Venice by air on July 14. The cruise departs on July 15 and returns on the 25th. We are leaving the next day on the 26th. Flight arrival and departure are both mid-morning.

We have been to Venice before on a prior cruise that did an overnight call in 2011 so we are familiar with the city, or at least have a feel on how things move there. We used Alilaguna and ACTV ferries at some point during our visit and walked around quite a bit. From the little homework I have done so far I have found that the least expensive ways from the Marco Polo airport to the city is to ride a bus to the Piazzale Roma or the orange Alilaguna line. This will depend on the hotel of course. My main worry is getting from the hotel to the cruise terminal since we will be carrying luggage (one large suitcase and a smaller one per person plus a backpack and a purse) to the terminal. And then the way back from the terminal to the hotel for the post-cruise stay.

So there.

1. Most convenient location to stay? I am thinking about the area near the train station where we could walk to the Piazzale Roma and then take the people mover. And then walk to the pier. This is the area most cruisers stay, but for me I think that in Venice convenient has an entirely different meaning. It's a magical city (as you know), and there is nothing like St Marks Square early in the morning and late at night. Also, I can take a bus or a cab anywhere, but what other city can you arrive by Aguilila? For this reason, I would recommend any hotel along the BLUE LINE, Aresonal or San Zaccari stop. It's a bit more expensive ($16 I believe) to go from Airport directly to the heart of Venice where you can simply walk (or catch a vaporetto) anywhere else. Also, the blue line will pick you up in the morning and whisk you right to the cruise ship pier. You may need to walk a 'bit' but nothing outrageous.

2. Best way to get between airport and hotel? Is it worth it to book this through the cruise line? The best way to get from airport into Venice is the Blue LIne. Just check time schedules to make sure they coordinate with your arrival/departure. Also note it's about a 10 minute walk to get to the Blue Line loading area from baggage claim. Nothing at all stenuous, but we are in reasonably shape for 50 year old couple and pack one suit case and one roller bag per person only.

3. Best way to go from hotel to cruise terminal? What pier is normally used by Royal Caribbean in cruises sailing out of Venice? I know there are several piers and walking distance will depend on this. And then back when we disembark. Again, the Blue Line :). I'm also sailing on the Rhapsody so I've been watching her on web cams. She sails out of different piers, but all are fairly close to one another.

4. Specific hotel suggestions? Not looking for fancy or expensive hotels but not looking to stay in a dump either. Not sure if this is on the low side but no more than 150€ per night. It will be two nights in separate stays. The night of July 14 and the night of July 25. I'm not sure when Redentore Festival is this year, but its typically in mid-july every year, so be sure to check that out and make sure it won't effect your stay. If Redentore is on one of your nights, than a hotel near Aresonal or San Zaccori may be out of your price range, but otherwise you can absolutely stay alone the main water for 150 Euro. The Redentore is a FANTASTIC festival celebrating end of the plague with the most awesome firework display I have ever seen. Venitian families stake out their territory along the boardwalk with masking tape and set up bbq grills, tables, lots and lots of wine. It was one of high lights of an entire month in Europe. If you happen to be in Venice on the night of Redentore Festival consider yourself extremely lucky!

I also posted in the Trip Advisor forum but I think I can get more specific suggestions here from people who have done this or are even in the same sailing.

Thanks in advance for any help.

My opinions above in Red. We stayed near Piazza Roma before and I agree that it is convenient, but I never recommend staying anywhere but in the heart of the action in Venice. Time is so limited there, I want to be able to walk out my door and be at Doges in a matter of minutes, not catching a train to P. Roma to a vaporetto which can take up a good chunk of limited time during the day. Plus, there is something very special about the basilica area after the city has gone to sleep or before she awakens.

This year we are doing Pre-Cruise at Redentore' Musica Hotel and for something different we are staying post cruise in the Jewish Ghetto area of Cannenegro since it's part of the city I have yet to explore. I'm leaving August 5th, so pretty please come back and let us know some details about your trip. I am really struggling with what to do in Corfu, Kotor, and Zadar so I'm very curious how you fair there.

Hope this is helpful! ;)

Thanks for your reply and all your feedback. Actually I had already selected a hotel from one of the suggestions earlier in this thread which IS near the Alilaguna Blue line at S. Zaccaria. A short walk between the ferry and the hotel. That was an important criteria given that we will have luggage. It will be the same hotel in both stays.

The Redentore Festival will be on July 17 this year which is after we sail but close enough to our pre-cruise stay that I think will mean the city will be a bit crowded for our pre-cruise stay. I found out about this festival by chance after I have booked everything. Didn't about it and only found when I noticed in Google Earth imagery a pontoon bridge between San Marco and the church at Giudecca and tried to find why it was there. Then found about the festival in late July.

I am yet to take a detailed look at the shore excursions so I don't know yet what we will be doing at the ports. What I can tell is we are going to book the excursions through the ship. Not brave enough to book private tours in foreign countries.

And yes, I will be back after the cruise with some details.

I second either the Arlecchino or the BW Olympia.

1. A very convenient ATVO bus from the Airport to Piazalle Roma, then only one bridge to cross with luggage. When I did the Alilaguna to S. Zaccaria, I found I had to lump the luggage over several bridges to the hotel, then lump it over more to the Vaparetto to get to Piazalle Roma to get to the port. Oh, my aching back!

2. Going to the port, only the same one bridge to cross to start the quick walk to the People-Mover to the port.

3. Several good restaurants, cheaper than near St. Marks, within spitting distance of the hotels.

4. The same convenient ATVO bus back to the airport.

We are just off a B2B on the Rhapsody on 6/13.

Jim

On my Carnival Magic cruise I took a tour called "Behind the Fun" which takes guests to many areas of the ships normally off-limits such as the bridge, galley, crew-only areas, engine control room and many other places. Is there anything similar on Royal Caribbean ships? The one in Carnival was not advertised in online excursion offers and you had to book it on-board. Would love to do this in Rhapsody also.

My wife and I are sailing on RCCL on 8/26/16 from Venice with another couple.

We have never been so a lot of advice is needed.

We arrive at 9:05 on 8/23/16 in the morning from Houston. We are staying at the JW Marriott which is located on their private island across the bay from Lido beach. We will have 6 pieces of luggage as well as 4 carry on pieces.

1. How do we get from the airport to the hotel? The JW Mariott hotel offers a VIP transfer for 220 euros. Not sure if this is high.

2. How de we get to the ship and what time do you suggest we get to the terminal?

3. We have a 10:55 United flight. What time should we disembark from the ship and how do the 4 of us get to the airport? I know that RCCL offers transfers but they are way over priced.

If we have to buy tickets for transfers, who and where do you suggest we buy them and what is the cost?

Thanks so much!

My wife and I are sailing on RCCL on 8/26/16 from Venice with another couple.

We have never been so a lot of advice is needed.

We arrive at 9:05 on 8/23/16 in the morning from Houston. We are staying at the JW Marriott which is located on their private island across the bay from Lido beach. We will have 6 pieces of luggage as well as 4 carry on pieces.

1. How do we get from the airport to the hotel? The JW Mariott hotel offers a VIP transfer for 220 euros. Not sure if this is high.

2. How de we get to the ship and what time do you suggest we get to the terminal?

3. We have a 10:55 United flight. What time should we disembark from the ship and how do the 4 of us get to the airport? I know that RCCL offers transfers but they are way over priced.

If we have to buy tickets for transfers, who and where do you suggest we buy them and what is the cost?

Thanks so much!

You may also want to ask on the Italy forum here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=595

We were going to be on the same flights and voyage but I had to reschedule like I said in my first post. Still on the same flights but on different dates.

I don't recommend ever flying on the same dates the cruise departs and end. Too much risk of being stranded if anything happens with the flights and also would be way too much hurried at disembark, specially with a 10:55 AM return flight. I am staying one night and close to the vaporetto line that goes to the airport and still feel a bit uneasy that I want to have a plan B even though I have sorted out transportation.

Last night I was watching on a webcam the arrival of the Rhapsody to Venice at the end of the June 24 voyage and it arrived to the pier around 5:45 AM local time. That voyage was the same itinerary as ours so I guess that arrival time is typical. Disembark maybe starts around 6:45 (the time the ship is scheduled to arrive). You will need to be among the first to disembark and take either a bus from Piazzale Roma or a ferry from the cruise terminal to the airport.

And by the way, at the time I write this the Rhapsosy is departing. The next time it comes to Venice it will be to pick me up!!! Can't wait! :D

Luisrp: Thank you so much for the photo! How fun!! So excited for you. I am not leaving until August 5th, so I'm looking forward to any and all information you can share about the cruise itinerary.

To the poster with the 10:55 departure. I highly recommend you pony up for private transfers and do not wait for the bus (you do not have enough time for the ACTV in my opinion). Venice airport is not the most consumer friendly and I've read it is under construction at the moment. Debarking in Venice requires use of the people mover also, which was backed up outside of the building last time I sailed. If you can get off the ship first and to your cab by 7:30 you will be doing great and at the airport around 8:00. I'd be surprised if you can do it much quicker.

I'd be a nervous wreck with that departure time. I returned from the Divina last week and we had a medical emergency which put us into port 2 hours late. Because the ship was late, debarkation became quite the chaotic mess which slowed things down even more. I wish you all the best, but if there is a chance you can change that to a later flight, that would be my recommendation. Not trying to freak you out, just trying to help you avoid potential problems.

Thanks for your reply and all your feedback. Actually I had already selected a hotel from one of the suggestions earlier in this thread which IS near the Alilaguna Blue line at S. Zaccaria. A short walk between the ferry and the hotel. That was an important criteria given that we will have luggage. It will be the same hotel in both stays.

The Redentore Festival will be on July 17 this year which is after we sail but close enough to our pre-cruise stay that I think will mean the city will be a bit crowded for our pre-cruise stay. I found out about this festival by chance after I have booked everything. Didn't about it and only found when I noticed in Google Earth imagery a pontoon bridge between San Marco and the church at Giudecca and tried to find why it was there. Then found about the festival in late July.

I am yet to take a detailed look at the shore excursions so I don't know yet what we will be doing at the ports. What I can tell is we are going to book the excursions through the ship. Not brave enough to book private tours in foreign countries.

And yes, I will be back after the cruise with some details.

I think you are going to enjoy the Castello district. We once stayed at the Danieli (on points) and spent a lot of time over there. It's a truly residential area of Venice, so far fewer crowds but still lots to see. We enjoyed sitting outside and watching the people go by, as well as exploring all the nooks and crannies.

The Hotel Fontana is now on my radar for 2017. We've been inside the Hotel Ca' Fomenta (which you can see from the stop) and it's both nice and convenient, but the Fontana looks a lot homier.

We decided to skip a gondola ride and rode to the train station (we weren't going on a cruise) in a water taxi instead. It was 80 Euro 10 years ago, so I'm sure the price has gone up a lot, but it was less than the gondola ride.

And don't be afraid to book private tours - there's nothing better than a small group tour instead of being part of a large group wearing headphones (a great distraction for pickpockets) and following a lollipop. Go to your Roll Call, see who's booked what and check out the tour guide's credentials on Tripadvisor or another touring website. :)

Edited by critterchick

And don't be afraid to book private tours - there's nothing better than a small group tour instead of being part of a large group wearing headphones (a great distraction for pickpockets) and following a lollipop. Go to your Roll Call, see who's booked what and check out the tour guide's credentials on Tripadvisor or another touring website. :)

I am really hoping everything will be fine. Two days ago I was looking at the webcam where the S.Zaccaria stop is visible at 5:55 AM local time and all of a sudden it started POURING!!! The drops were visible in the camera and it was kinda fun watching the people running and spreading around. But at the same time I realized that this can happen to me also. Hope it doesn't rain.

Anyhow, I became a bit braver and actually booked a private tour in Venice on our arrival date. I will still rely on cruise line shore excursions. It will be a gondola ride with the only or first female gondolier. It is a bit pricey but the reviews are very good and the ride lasts 60 minutes. Just found out about her last night and though it would be a unique experience. I emailed her to see if she was available and she replied very quickly.

Question. My reservation is a guarantee inside cabin. I still don't see a cabin number in my reservation in the RC web site. When will I see a number here? Or will I know at check-in at the pier? My past cruises, both Carnival, were also guarantee cabins and I knew about two weeks ahead of the sailing date.

Question. My reservation is a guarantee inside cabin. I still don't see a cabin number in my reservation in the RC web site. When will I see a number here? Or will I know at check-in at the pier? My past cruises, both Carnival, were also guarantee cabins and I knew about two weeks ahead of the sailing date.

Your stateroom can be assigned anytime between now and when you arrive at the pier.

I am really hoping everything will be fine. Two days ago I was looking at the webcam where the S.Zaccaria stop is visible at 5:55 AM local time and all of a sudden it started POURING!!! The drops were visible in the camera and it was kinda fun watching the people running and spreading around. But at the same time I realized that this can happen to me also. Hope it doesn't rain.

Anyhow, I became a bit braver and actually booked a private tour in Venice on our arrival date. I will still rely on cruise line shore excursions. It will be a gondola ride with the only or first female gondolier. It is a bit pricey but the reviews are very good and the ride lasts 60 minutes. Just found out about her last night and though it would be a unique experience. I emailed her to see if she was available and she replied very quickly.

You said you emailed the female gondolier. Can you provide me with her address please. How much did she charge for the 60 min?

I have been watching the webcam I posted here almost every day for about two weeks now looking at the Alilaguna blue line departure from S.Zaccaria that I would be taking on my way to the airport the day we return. Up until yesterday, I always saw that every person that arrived at that stop were able to get onboard. However today I saw two people leaving the little pier before the ferry departed and ran away like crazy to the ACTV stop next door. Of course, from the web cam I cannot tell if these people were just at the wrong place or if they were left out because the boat was full.

If something like this happened and found that I cannot board the Alilaguna ferry at 6:55 AM at S.Zaccaria, what is would be the alternative to get to the airport on time? Our flight departs at 10:55 AM and I feel like waiting for the next departure at 7:25 AM would be pushing it with probably more people in the ferry.

Edited by luisrp

I have been watching the webcam I posted here almost every day for about two weeks now looking at the Alilaguna blue line departure from S.Zaccaria that I would be taking on my way to the airport the day we return. Up until yesterday, I always saw that every person that arrived at that stop were able to get onboard. .

We wanted to make sure we board at a certain hour - so we were there 10 min before, bought the tickets, and were the first in line to board - in the end, about the 4-5th couple....

Yes, there was some pushing and shoving :)

Yeah, I plan to be around 15 minutes before so that I get to be first. But what if the boat is full? Unlikely but still, what if? Where do I go to pick some other way to get to the airport in a whim?

Yeah, I plan to be around 15 minutes before so that I get to be first. But what if the boat is full? Unlikely but still, what if? Where do I go to pick some other way to get to the airport in a whim?

It is HIGHLY unlikely the boat will be full, but the only other option that would be faster than waiting for the next ACTV to Marco Polo is to purchase a private water taxi. Costly, but very easy to do. In that case, you'd beat the the 'full' boat to the airport :). You'll be fine either way.

Yeah, I plan to be around 15 minutes before so that I get to be first.

As I understand, you don't fly home on the day your cruise ends.

Is it a day when other cruises end? If not, I don't see any problem at this early hour.

In the unlikely event that the boat will be full - you still have the 7.25AM. From my experience, the only stations where most people board heading for the airport are the Hilton, S. Marco and S. Zaccaria.

You'll be at the airport by 8.30AM, still almost 2.5 hours before flying home.:)

I am flying the day after the cruise ends so the hurry is only on me making sure I get up early enough. :D But I also found that I will miss breakfast at my hotel :mad: so I will have to grab something the night before and have it in my room or wait until I get to the airport.

Anyhow, checking my reservation a while ago at the Royal Caribbean web site I found that my guarantee interior converted into a "Large ocean view stateroom"!!! Yikes! :D It is in deck 4 and found that it is under an open starboard side promenade in deck 5 and maybe the part nearest the hallway is under the casino. Hope it will not be noisy from the casino at night.

Spent a while printing all stuff for trip from air tickets, hotel, cruise stuff... can't wait.

But I also found that I will miss breakfast at my hotel :mad:

I'm sure if u mention it to Fontana's staff, they'll take care of u. Family style hotel :)

Spent a while printing all stuff for trip from air tickets, hotel, cruise stuff... can't wait.

I've just helped friends book a last minute cruise on Vision (July 30th), and even managed to get them Fontana for the 4 nights before the cruise, all because of it being 1) value for money 2) minutes from all the attractions and, of course, 3) so close to the Alilaguna line:).

I'm sure you'll enjoy having Venice to "yourself" mornings and late afternoons.

It's a totally different experience than travelling from Mestre / or other nearby cities by train to Venice, to Piazzale Roma, and then taking the vaporetto or walking to S. Marco - both almost an hour, and, then, in the evening, doing the same back.

Lots of precious vacation time lost... Enjoy Venice and your cruise !!

Hello there! Writing this from Rhapsody of the Seas. I won't still go into details about the cruise but I do want to mention that my experience serves as a cautionary tale for never ever flying the same day the cruise departs. If I had done that I would have missed the cruise. We were flying from Boston to Venice via Newark on United Airlines. The day we departed (July 13) our short flight from Boston to Newark was delayed due to a weather related ground stop at Newark. I was not worried at first because we had a 4 hour stop and it should be plenty of time for the weather to clear. Well, not for long. When the flight was delayed enough to cause the stop at Newark become uncomfortably short I started worrying that we would miss our flight to Venice. So I went to the gate agent to ask and they offered to put us on an Alitalia flight from Boston via Rome at 10:45 PM. We decided to go for it. The origina flight arried at 9:05 AM an the new one arrived at 3:35 PM which I thought would be too close to make it for our 6 PM gondola ride And in fact we missed the ride because one bag did not arrive to Venice and we spent a lot of time filing a claim.

The lost bag has caused a huge problem as you can imagine and Royal Caribbean has been very helpful keeping us up to date every day. Other than the issues caused by this, the cruise is going well and we are on our way to Santorini. Needless to say, we missed the formal night which is always a highlight of any cruise. :(

I must say that so far everything has been just as I expected. I have cruised Carnival twice before and always saw RC as more similar to Carnival than it is different. My experience in the few days of this cruise is proving me right so far. I don't get why all the Carnival bashing in these boards.