Palma de Mallorca - DIY?

HI ,

Yes 4 days would be fine to see all the major tourist spots the transport system is fantastic and the whole island is covered from the bus hub in Palma and no point is more than 1 to 2 hrs away.

Staying near the Plaza Mayor is perfect !! I would still hire a car which will give more options , In May the roads are uncrowded and user friendly

Thank you, Roger! I will probably be back to for more Mallorca advice regarding car hire and travel logistics!

Carolyn

Thank you, Roger! I will probably be back to for more Mallorca advice regarding car hire and travel logistics!

Carolyn

I'm back Roger! Before we book an apartment on VRBO, I wanted to ask you if you have any local friends with apartments to rent for our 4 nights in May, 2017?

Carolyn

the only way you have enough time to enjoy a trip to Soller on the train , If the boat docks at 8 am the first train you can catch is at 10.10. allow 1.5 hr for the trip to Soller.

Then 25 mins to Port de Soller by tram, you should arrive at 12 .00.

you could get 2 hours there.The next train back from Soller is at 2 pm you would miss the boat !!!

The only way is to get a taxi back about 40 mins .

http://www.trendesoller.com/en/cms.php/timetable_and_prices

Our ship leaves later. Using your schedule we would arrive at Port de Soller at noon. We would have to head back to Soller by 1:30 to catch the 2pm train. Is taking the bus back to Palma a faster option? If so, where do we get the bus in Port de Soller? If we choose not to go to the Port de S, is there enough to see in Soller for a couple of hours or is going to the Port a must?

I'm back Roger! Before we book an apartment on VRBO, I wanted to ask you if you have any local friends with apartments to rent for our 4 nights in May, 2017?

Carolyn

I do not know of anything at the moment off hand .if you are here for 4 days I would stay in Palma as it is a vibrant city. Look at Air BandB lots of small apartments on it. or contact me on shoeuk at hotmail.com

Our ship leaves later. Using your schedule we would arrive at Port de Soller at noon. We would have to head back to Soller by 1:30 to catch the 2pm train. Is taking the bus back to Palma a faster option? If so, where do we get the bus in Port de Soller? If we choose not to go to the Port de S, is there enough to see in Soller for a couple of hours or is going to the Port a must?

Yes the bus would be fine see time table, I would not miss out the port de Soller or tram ride.

Return bus finishes at the Plaza Espana then you need the No 3 bus back to the port.

http://www.soller1.com/en/cms.php/travel/timetables/bus_L211

What if we took the bus to Valdemossa , spent a little time there and take bus back? I'd like to see some of the country side. Or just tour around the town?

You will not be able to spend more than 1-2 hrs in Valdermossa ,once you have seen the monastery there is not much else there few touristy shops and restaurants.

Go for the morning and come back to Palma a not to be missed city.

I do not know of anything at the moment off hand .if you are here for 4 days I would stay in Palma as it is a vibrant city. Look at Air BandB lots of small apartments on it. or contact me on shoeuk at hotmail.com

Thank you, Roger for suggesting Air BandB! I have never used them before, always booked through VRBO. We did find a lovely small apartment near Plaza Mayor!

Carolyn

Yes the bus would be fine see time table, I would not miss out the port de Soller or tram ride.

Return bus finishes at the Plaza Espana then you need the No 3 bus back to the port.

http://www.soller1.com/en/cms.php/travel/timetables/bus_L211

My husband is foaming at the mouth to get off Koningsdam, take first train to Soller, then tram to port, reverse it and get back to ship in time for sailaway. Doable? Or do I have to tell him that we have to modify it to perhaps seeing trams in Soller before taking next train back to Palma? Thanks for your advise.

My husband is foaming at the mouth to get off Koningsdam, take first train to Soller, then tram to port, reverse it and get back to ship in time for sailaway. Doable? Or do I have to tell him that we have to modify it to perhaps seeing trams in Soller before taking next train back to Palma? Thanks for your advise.

Hi, It is possible to do the trip by train/tram to Soller , but you will have to return on the same tram that you got from Soller to port No time to stop !! and then straight back on the train to Palma ( Only for Train Nuts )

I've given up on the train(sigh) but can't do it. We will be booking a tour that drives along the coast . I'm sure it will still be a great day.

Where is it going I might be able to give some insight !!

It's through Mallorca cruise excursions. Soller to sea, Valldemossa, Port D'Andratx. 5 hours so assuming we stay a short time at each place. The scenery should be impressive. Thanks, Pam

I hope you get longer than 5 hrs as this quite a trip , but is also a great insight into the coast around the north of the island ( a switch back road from Soller to PortD' Andratx ) you will enjoy some of the best scenery on the island.

This the route that I would take and My choice !! Have a great Day !!

Where is it going I might be able to give some insight !!

Have decided on riding train Palma to Soller then tram to Port, with a reserved private transfer back to ship about 2pm. This will give DH more photo time in Soller and with trams in Port Soller. Thanks for your input.

This has been a most helpful thread. Many thanks to roger b for information that has helped many of us.

For my upcoming trip, I will only have time to go to Valldemossa.

Is it best to take a taxi then find another one for the return trip or to hire a car and driver? And does anyone know the approximate cost of these two options?

Many, many thanks for your help!

This has been a most helpful thread. Many thanks to roger b for information that has helped many of us.

For my upcoming trip, I will only have time to go to Valldemossa.

Is it best to take a taxi then find another one for the return trip or to hire a car and driver? And does anyone know the approximate cost of these two options?

Many, many thanks for your help!

Personally I would try to find a tour from the ship if this is all you have time for , a taxi from the port will be about 60 eu for the trip one way, you might do a deal with the driver for a round trip.

Valldermossa is a small village and one and a half hours is plenty to time to spend there, the visit to the Monastery is a bit of a let down a few cell like mainly empty rooms and the village has a few tourist trap shops, on the plus side has great views and it is a pretty village.

For a short time in Palma I would spend the time in Palma where the Cathedral is spectacular .

• Like 1

Personally I would try to find a tour from the ship if this is all you have time for , a taxi from the port will be about 60 eu for the trip one way, you might do a deal with the driver for a round trip.

Valldermossa is a small village and one and a half hours is plenty to time to spend there, the visit to the Monastery is a bit of a let down a few cell like mainly empty rooms and the village has a few tourist trap shops, on the plus side has great views and it is a pretty village.

For a short time in Palma I would spend the time in Palma where the Cathedral is spectacular .

Many thanks rogerb. From my research thus far, I am learning that 9 hours in Majorca is just not enough, but I am grateful for a brief taste of its wonders.

I love beautiful scenery, medieval hill towns, and cities with old town centers for wandering ancient alleyways.

It looks like Majorca is a bonanza for all of these.

Again, many thanks for being of great help me and and the many users of this board.

Marilyn