Palma de Mallorca - DIY?

For a short time in Palma I would spend the time in Palma where the Cathedral is spectacular .

I agree about the Cathedral. And once inside, do not miss St. Peter's Chapel, in which there's a stunning, haunting, mesmerizing installation by contemporary artist Miquel Barcelo, depicting the biblical miracle of the loaves and the fishes. The walls of the chapel are lined with cracked ceramic, with sculpted, 3-D bread, fish, etc. emerging. I could barely tear myself away. Just amazing. Here's a small detail:

PalmaCathfishcloseup_zpsf97c4720.jpg

(photo by turtles06)

Personally I would try to find a tour from the ship if this is all you have time for , a taxi from the port will be about 60 eu for the trip one way, you might do a deal with the driver for a round trip.

Valldermossa is a small village and one and a half hours is plenty to time to spend there, the visit to the Monastery is a bit of a let down a few cell like mainly empty rooms and the village has a few tourist trap shops, on the plus side has great views and it is a pretty village.

For a short time in Palma I would spend the time in Palma where the Cathedral is spectacular .

I was wondering Roger, if you have an idea of the price for a taxi ride from the Palma cruise port to Port de Soller? Thanks in advance.

I was wondering Roger, if you have an idea of the price for a taxi ride from the Palma cruise port to Port de Soller? Thanks in advance.

We have booked a taxi from Port Soller back to cruise ship and have a 58 Euro quote. One way.

We will ride the train the tram to Port Soller in the morning, but wanted to ensure we are back to ship by the (probably) 3:00pm all aboard.

I agree about the Cathedral. And once inside, do not miss St. Peter's Chapel, in which there's a stunning, haunting, mesmerizing installation by contemporary artist Miquel Barcelo, depicting the biblical miracle of the loaves and the fishes. The walls of the chapel are lined with cracked ceramic, with sculpted, 3-D bread, fish, etc. emerging. I could barely tear myself away. Just amazing.

Hi Turtles06,

Your photo and recommendation of St. Peter's Chapel is great. It looks amazing.

Based upon suggestions from you and rogerb, I will plan on going via a 4 hour tour to Valldemossa in the morning (I hope the businesses will be open on a Sunday morning!) and then spend the remainder of the day exploring the Cathedral and Old Town Palma.

Thank you,

Marilyn

We have booked a taxi from Port Soller back to cruise ship and have a 58 Euro quote. One way.

We will ride the train the tram to Port Soller in the morning, but wanted to ensure we are back to ship by the (probably) 3:00pm all aboard.

You have chosen the best solution !!! Have a great Day out !!

I agree about the Cathedral. And once inside, do not miss St. Peter's Chapel, in which there's a stunning, haunting, mesmerizing installation by contemporary artist Miquel Barcelo, depicting the biblical miracle of the loaves and the fishes. The walls of the chapel are lined with cracked ceramic, with sculpted, 3-D bread, fish, etc. emerging. I could barely tear myself away. Just amazing.

Hi Turtles06,

Your photo and recommendation of St. Peter's Chapel is great. It looks amazing.

Based upon suggestions from you and rogerb, I will plan on going via a 4 hour tour to Valldemossa in the morning (I hope the businesses will be open on a Sunday morning!) and then spend the remainder of the day exploring the Cathedral and Old Town Palma.

Thank you,

Marilyn

Most of the Shops are open on a Sunday . There might be a service going on in the Cathedral ,but it should not affect your visit.

http://www.abc-mallorca.com/palmas-shops-open-sundays/

Greetings, just wonderring if this is doable or if anyone as done it recently.

Would like to do a quick return trip to Soller using public transport.

Take the route L210 Bus from Palma at 9.30am arrive Port Soller at 10.45am.

Take the Tram from Port at 11.25am to Soller Station to catch the 12.15pm Train back to Palma. Not sure about walking distances between change of transport.

Also is there a local bus from Palma Port to the Palma Train & Bus Terminal ?

Cheers !

The nicest beaches are a short bus ride away --- Walk across the road bridge over the main Paseo Maritimo a 10 min walk , when you come to the road junction cross over and catch the No 3 bus it will say Illetas on the front of the bus.

1.50 euros travel to the end of the line about 10 mins and walk down a small hill go left or right to two lovely beaches.

Taxi will be about 15 mins and about 15 Euros.

If you go by taxi ask to be dropped off outside The Anchorage the bus also stops here -- There is a choice go right down the hill to one a protected sandy beach with beds not much choice of food best is the Anchorage club beach bar.

If you chose to go left when you leave the bus or taxi there is a small beach could be crowded with a very nice restaurant.

http://www.theanchorage.es/

Some great info here, thanks. Is Paseo Maritimo near where the ship docks or the main town?

I guess going right at Illestas is better as less crowded, or is it easy to flit between the two?

Is it the number 3 back as well

Sorry if dumb questions!!

Thanks

Some great info here, thanks. Is Paseo Maritimo near where the ship docks or the main town?

I guess going right at Illestas is better as less crowded, or is it easy to flit between the two?

Is it the number 3 back as well

Sorry if dumb questions!!

Thanks

Both beaches are about the same size but the beach on the left has a nice beach bar , you can easily walk around to the other beach anyway and chose where you want to swim.

Hi

Just found this bus route map

http://www.majorca-mallorca.co.uk/downloads/emtroutemap.pdf

From what I have read the #3 will get us to good beaches, and the #1 is a good means of getting to the centre - probably cheaper than the ships shuttle

Is this correct? Thanks

From the ship get the shuttle to the town only 10 mins or walk about 1/2 hr. The No 3 bus is only a short walk away .

Greetings, just wonderring if this is doable or if anyone as done it recently.

Would like to do a quick return trip to Soller using public transport.

Take the route L210 Bus from Palma at 9.30am arrive Port Soller at 10.45am.

Take the Tram from Port at 11.25am to Soller Station to catch the 12.15pm Train back to Palma. Not sure about walking distances between change of transport.

Also is there a local bus from Palma Port to the Palma Train & Bus Terminal ?

Cheers !

Yes should be O.K you can then have a short walk along the seafront in Port of Soller. I am not sure where the bus stops in Soller ,but nowhere is very far from the centre of the village where the tram leaves from.

You will need to get a bus or taxi to the Plaza Espana for the bus to Soller .

Hello,

We are wondering if there are taxi's in Soller. We were thinking about taking the train to Soller, catching a taxi to Fornalutx and walking back to Soller. Also might want to take taxi back to Palma if we are running late.

Let me know if we can catch a cab in Soller or if we need to reserve ahead. Also if reserving ahead, please recommend a taxi company if you know one.

We are travelling in early November.

Thanks!

We will be arriving in Palma about lunch time via Vista on a Friday (11:00 - 8:00 p.m). Our thoughts are to take a taxi to the castle and take pics, etc. I read somewhere that there are local vendors around the castle?

We are hoping to enjoying the location for a couple of hours and then head back to city center to see the cathedral and walk around. Will taxi's be available for the return from the castle?

Thank you.

Hello,

We are wondering if there are taxi's in Soller. We were thinking about taking the train to Soller, catching a taxi to Fornalutx and walking back to Soller. Also might want to take taxi back to Palma if we are running late.

Let me know if we can catch a cab in Soller or if we need to reserve ahead. Also if reserving ahead, please recommend a taxi company if you know one.

We are travelling in early November.

Thanks!

Yes there are taxi's in Soller, but not that many it is only a small village ,this an ambitious idea and is not possible in the time you might have ashore as it is a 3hr walk have a look carefully at the timings of your trip.

I would take the train to Soller ,Tram to Pt Soller you will find a taxi there and go for a view of Fornalutx keep the same taxi for the return to Palma.

https://www.seemallorca.com/activities/reviews/mallorca-hiking-review-675992

http://www.walkingmallorca.co.uk/ruta_13.html

We will be arriving in Palma about lunch time via Vista on a Friday (11:00 - 8:00 p.m). Our thoughts are to take a taxi to the castle and take pics, etc. I read somewhere that there are local vendors around the castle?

We are hoping to enjoying the location for a couple of hours and then head back to city center to see the cathedral and walk around. Will taxi's be available for the return from the castle?

Thank you.

That should be O.K not sure if you will find a taxi up there but you can walk down look at the map, head towards ( a 12 min walk }down to the Plaza Gomila catch No 3 bus in to the center of Palma

That should be O.K not sure if you will find a taxi up there but you can walk down look at the map, head towards ( a 12 min walk }down to the Plaza Gomila catch No 3 bus in to the center of Palma

Roger B, this is great info.

Other comments indicate it is a 45min to hour walk down a long hill. So we were preparing for that. We want to avoid the HOHO bus if possible and kind of do things on our own. I will research the bus and cost so that we the correct amount of currency.

Thank you.

Roger B - Thank you for the information and the maps. We were going to walk along the road rather than hike as per this post. We are travelling in November so heat is not an issue.

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2012973

I would assume that the road would be shorter. Our ship arrives at 9 and departs at 7PM so I thought that we could probably go to Soller by train and get a bus or taxi to take us back to Palma later in the day.

If you think that I am totally unrealistic, I will rethink. It is just nice to get into the countryside when you are traveling by ship.

Thanks so much.

Edited by aquidneck1

Roger B, this is great info.

Other comments indicate it is a 45min to hour walk down a long hill. So we were preparing for that. We want to avoid the HOHO bus if possible and kind of do things on our own. I will research the bus and cost so that we the correct amount of currency.

Thank you.

Are there recommendations for anything to visit while at Plaza Gomila. We will likely grab tapas and a drink if it makes sense while there. Enjoy it before heading back to city center with the bustling cruise ship crowd.

Are there recommendations for anything to visit while at Plaza Gomila. We will likely grab tapas and a drink if it makes sense while there. Enjoy it before heading back to city center with the bustling cruise ship crowd.

Nothing in the Plaza Gomila very down at heel area, there are plenty of tapas restaurants in Palma, My recommendation is :

http://www.restaurantelaboveda.com/

Roger B - Thank you for the information and the maps. We were going to walk along the road rather than hike as per this post. We are travelling in November so heat is not an issue.

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2012973

I would assume that the road would be shorter. Our ship arrives at 9 and departs at 7PM so I thought that we could probably go to Soller by train and get a bus or taxi to take us back to Palma later in the day.

If you think that I am totally unrealistic, I will rethink. It is just nice to get into the countryside when you are traveling by ship.

Thanks so much.

I originally thought that you would have to be aboard by 5pm.Yes the one I gave you was scenic walk , it can be done in around 1 Hr go to google maps to see route and put in Soller to Fortnalutx.

Yes you can do it !! train from Palma to Soller 10.30 am arrive Soller at 11.20 am Tram to Port Soller you might make the 11.30 am tram if not the next is at 12.00, this will leave you little time to look round ,

Taxi to Fornalutx around 15 min journey time you can spend as much time as feel comfortable with there and then walk back to Soller.

Hope this all makes sense ??

This will give you plenty of time to get back to the ship however you decide.

So, with all of these posts about trains and trams I've been researching this morning to learn a little more about the Soller Old Wooden Train and tram.

It seems like a short ride. We are looking for a leisurely day. No formal tours. So the idea of enjoying scenery on a train sound appealing. We would return to Palma using the bus as that seems to be an option. Catch a taxi to the castle for pics and then enjoy city center.

Thoughts on this plan?

Edited by sk84fungirl

So, with all of these posts about trains and trams I've been researching this morning to learn a little more about the Soller Old Wooden Train and tram.

It seems like a short ride. We are looking for a leisurely day. No formal tours. So the idea of enjoying scenery on a train sound appealing. We would return to Palma using the bus as that seems to be an option. Catch a taxi to the castle for pics and then enjoy city center.

Thoughts on this plan?

Easily Done in the day , but I would say that a look round the town and Cathedral first !!would be more interesting than the Belver Castle ( fabulous view but not much else )watch your train timings !! a lot to do in one day !!!

Great - that sounds wonderful. Will skip Port Soller if we can get a taxi from Soller. Would like to stop in museum in Soller. We live in a seaport and also will be on a cruiseship so no real need to visit the port.

Not really a port and the tram ride is worth the visit anyway you will have time , the museum is very small can done in about 30 mins

https://www.seemallorca.com/sights/museums/can-prunera-soller