Palma de Mallorca - DIY?

Easily Done in the day , but I would say that a look round the town and Cathedral first !!would be more interesting than the Belver Castle ( fabulous view but not much else )watch your train timings !! a lot to do in one day !!!

Would you recommend that we just hang around the town?

Would you recommend that we just hang around the town?

I had to go and have a lay down just thinking of your ideas !! The trip to Soller and a couple of hours in Palma needs more than a day if you do not need to sit down all day and you will on the run all day .

You can easily spend a day in Palma lots to see in this beautiful city ,but if you want to see the country side I can recommend the train, a trip back in time.

So the verdict is it all depends how fit you are ???

We just returned from our cruise. In Palma we took the train to Soller (very nice). Once there we took the tram to the Port and walked around. Didn't take very long. If you want to go to the beach, that is a possibility. We then took the tram back to Soller and had lunch in the square in from of the church. We had to ask several times but found the bus to take back to Palma. People speak about the train ride but the scenery from the bus is also very nice.

Roger, you have given some very helpful info on Palma de Mallorca! We have a port stop on the Harmony in late August. We are thinking of a catamaran tour of Palma. I saw good reviews of Oasis Catamarans in Palma and wondering your thoughts on this excursion? We are six adults. Thank you!!

Roger, you have given some very helpful info on Palma de Mallorca! We have a port stop on the Harmony in late August. We are thinking of a catamaran tour of Palma. I saw good reviews of Oasis Catamarans in Palma and wondering your thoughts on this excursion? We are six adults. Thank you!!

Yes Party !! Party !! I have never been myself and they pull into the bay where I live on their trip , you will get a lovely view of the Sw coast line , good day out for the Price 79 eu

http://www.oasiscatamaran.com/en

Does anyone have a link to a walking map of Palma? I have searched all over and can't find a simple walking tour map of the sights.

And can anyone (Roger?) confirm the cathedral is closed on Sundays. The website states Mon-Fri for October. Thank you!

Steve

Edited by WNcruiser

Does anyone have a link to a walking map of Palma? I have searched all over and can't find a simple walking tour map of the sights.

Try these:

http://www.majorca-mallorca.co.uk/palma_map.htm

http://www.mallorcamaps.net/en/palma/map/35.html#seemap

https://www.seemallorca.com/walks/city

http://www.gpsmycity.com/gps-tour-guides/palma-de-mallorca-4170.html

• Like 1

And can anyone (Roger?) confirm the cathedral is closed on Sundays. The website states Mon-Fri for October. Thank you!

Steve

The Cathedral is closed on a Sunday, I always thought that services were held on a Sunday and it was open.

I would take the last walk on this list a easy stroll though Palma.

See walks below.

Chttp://www.catedraldemallorca.info/principal/en/horariosgral/horarios-visita

Edited by roger b

Roger b... Thank you for the local expertise! :) I also have some questions on one of your suggested sites to see.

We will be porting the beginning of September on a Friday, from 1100-2000. I've hired a car and want to drive out to the Caves of Drach (Have a IDP, etc.) to visit. First, about how long a drive is it from the port car rental area to the caves on a Friday at around 1130ish? I know what Google maps says, but local experience is always better! I want to make sure to time our tickets correctly.

Second, while we are out there, we'd like to get something to eat in Porto Cristo. Any suggestions for a sit down, not too fancy, local cuisine restaurant? On the way back to Palma, is there anything on the route we should see?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated... Thank you again!

Cammy

I had to go and have a lay down just thinking of your ideas !! The trip to Soller and a couple of hours in Palma needs more than a day if you do not need to sit down all day and you will on the run all day .

You can easily spend a day in Palma lots to see in this beautiful city ,but if you want to see the country side I can recommend the train, a trip back in time.

So the verdict is it all depends how fit you are ???

As we don't want a hectic day for our last port, we will likely do as originally planned and enjoy the town. We will go up to the castle and enjoy the views, and then back to town for a leisurely afternoon and tapas.

Saw the question about the train and thought, maybe....

Thanks!

Roger b... Thank you for the local expertise! :) I also have some questions on one of your suggested sites to see.

We will be porting the beginning of September on a Friday, from 1100-2000. I've hired a car and want to drive out to the Caves of Drach (Have a IDP, etc.) to visit. First, about how long a drive is it from the port car rental area to the caves on a Friday at around 1130ish? I know what Google maps says, but local experience is always better! I want to make sure to time our tickets correctly.

Second, while we are out there, we'd like to get something to eat in Porto Cristo. Any suggestions for a sit down, not too fancy, local cuisine restaurant? On the way back to Palma, is there anything on the route we should see?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated... Thank you again!

Cammy

I will be meeting someone on the 15th of Sept and we are going the caves , there should not be much traffic take the Ma 15 out of Palma should do the drive in around 1 Hr and use the Ma 19 to return to Palma, I would prefer to spend a couple of hours in Palma if you have time.

You have a large choice of restaurants in Porto Cristo and it is quite a small port , Where ever you go it should be O.K

Look for one where they have a Menu del Deia around 10 to 15 eu inc a drink

I will be meeting someone on the 15th of Sept and we are going the caves , there should not be much traffic take the Ma 15 out of Palma should do the drive in around 1 Hr and use the Ma 19 to return to Palma, I would prefer to spend a couple of hours in Palma if you have time.

You have a large choice of restaurants in Porto Cristo and it is quite a small port , Where ever you go it should be O.K

Look for one where they have a Menu del Deia around 10 to 15 eu inc a drink

Roger,

Thank you! I had mapped out Ma 15, now Ma 19 on your recommendation. Yes, we'll make sure to get back to Palma to check out a few things before turning in the car. I've been checking out a few restaurants in Porto Cristo and you're right, there are a lot of highly recommended ones for it being such a small area. Who knows, we may even just pick up goodies and have a picnic lunch... :) I'm looking forward to exploring!

Yes should be O.K you can then have a short walk along the seafront in Port of Soller. I am not sure where the bus stops in Soller ,but nowhere is very far from the centre of the village where the tram leaves from.

You will need to get a bus or taxi to the Plaza Espana for the bus to Soller .

Thank you for your help. Looking on the map where Harmony OTS is docked - would Bus #1 from Escola de Nautica be the bus to take to Plaza Espana ?

Thank you for your help. Looking on the map where Harmony OTS is docked - would Bus #1 from Escola de Nautica be the bus to take to Plaza Espana ?

A couple of weeks ago a taxi from the port to the Plaza Espana for 4 of us was less than 7 euros.

Not sure what you looking at as there are at least 3 Escola de Nautica in the vicinity of the Bay of Palma.

The easiest way to get to the Plaza Espana from the port , is to leave the port and if you are docking on one of the furthest Quays is to find the Shopping center Porto PI which should be in front of you leaving the port get No 3 Bus.

If it docks by the Club de Mar you walk across the road Bridge and get the No 3 Bus in Av Joan Miro.

Confused Get a Taxi about 10 Eu.

Edited by roger b
spelling

Hi - I was hoping to run my plan past Roger as well. We have a 9 am - 6:30 port stop at the end of August and was thinking to do the following:

Bus #3 to Placa Espana and grab the 210 bus to Soller, walk or tram to Puerto Soller, revers to Soller, and then 210 bus back to Palma. Once there, just wander some of the sights including the Cathedral and around town. Do you think I'll have time to see Bellver Castle as well? Or should I skip Soller and spend the time more leisurely in Palma? I would love to see the scenery on the way to Soller, but don't want to make the day too hectic. Thanks in advance!

Hi - I was hoping to run my plan past Roger as well. We have a 9 am - 6:30 port stop at the end of August and was thinking to do the following:

Bus #3 to Placa Espana and grab the 210 bus to Soller, walk or tram to Puerto Soller, revers to Soller, and then 210 bus back to Palma. Once there, just wander some of the sights including the Cathedral and around town. Do you think I'll have time to see Bellver Castle as well? Or should I skip Soller and spend the time more leisurely in Palma? I would love to see the scenery on the way to Soller, but don't want to make the day too hectic. Thanks in advance!

I am amazed at how many of the questioners are trying to make a day out Majorca a trial !!

On the bus off the bus a whirlwind day out with temperatures in the 90's!!

This public transport plan will not work unless you are able to hit all your bus timings right on the nail and you know where all the bus stops are.

To see more of the island and get Palma in you need to hire a car or choose one or the other.

I am amazed at how many of the questioners are trying to make a day out Majorca a trial !!

On the bus off the bus a whirlwind day out with temperatures in the 90's!!

This public transport plan will not work unless you are able to hit all your bus timings right on the nail and you know where all the bus stops are.

To see more of the island and get Palma in you need to hire a car or choose one or the other.

Thank you for your input, Roger. I'll forgo the trip to Soller and enjoy Palma at a more leisurely pace. Thanks again!

We will be in Mallorca x1 day in August from our cruise. We plan to walk around the city in the morning and take a taxi to go to Palma Nova beach in the afternoon. Does anyone have any suggestions about how to do this efficiently?

Also, which of the Palma Nova beaches should we visit?

Thank you so much.

We will be in Mallorca x1 day in August from our cruise. We plan to walk around the city in the morning and take a taxi to go to Palma Nova beach in the afternoon. Does anyone have any suggestions about how to do this efficiently?

Also, which of the Palma Nova beaches should we visit?

Thank you so much.

You should have no problems here with your plan, Palma is an easy city to walk round in a morning, take the shuttle bus from the port to get you off to a quick start.

Take any of the walks below for an overview of Palma, you will easily find a taxi to Palma Nova beach, there is only one beach it goes further round to Son Matias beach .

The taxi will drop you off right at the start of the bay and you can walk round and pick your spot.