Can't bring soda on board anymore

lixogab

There is no excuse or reasonable explanation for the exorbitant price point NCL has set for water. Period.

Well, I agree with you to a point. I think the prices of drinks are outrageous too, and we usually have our drinks on shore.

I don't drink beer, but I see I can get a 12 pack of Budweiser for under $9 at Walmart down the street from me. That's the regular price. That's .75 a beer. What does NCL charge for a mass market beer? I seem to remember a "bucket deal" of 10 beers for $20 being advertised on a cruise recently. That's 2.7 times the price I can get the beer from Walmart. (It may have been five beers ... someone chime in with what a can of sludge ... er, beer ... costs on board).

So, while we are not cruising NCL any time soon because they have finally tipped us over the edge with this last change, it isn't because their markup is out of the ordinary for items they sell. It isn't "one thousand percent markup!" It's about 2.5 times what I would pay for the same item at a convenience store near the port.

There is no excuse or reasonable explanation for the exorbitant price point NCL has set for water. Period.

Captive audience? No one lives at a stadium for a week or more, but the 1 liter bottle of Aquafina is $5 at Fenway Park. I skipped it in favor of a $6 Dunk's iced coffee. They used to let you bring in your own bottled water but this year they were confiscating open containers.

Now that I have had time to think about it, I would feel differently if I were buying for a family but for just myself, I think the NCL price is high but not outrageous.

Captive audience? No one lives at a stadium for a week or more, but the 1 liter bottle of Aquafina is $5 at Fenway Park. I skipped it in favor of a $6 Dunk's iced coffee. They used to let you bring in your own bottled water but this year they were confiscating open containers.

Now that I have had time to think about it, I would feel differently if I were buying for a family but for just myself, I think the NCL price is high but not outrageous.

NCL's prices and new program restrictions are way out of line compared to most of their competition. That's the only valid comparison.

I went to Dodger Stadium in May and brought several bottles of water, and they were fine with it.

The price NCL charges is indeed outrageous. It's especially outrageous because you are expected to need far more than 1 or 2 bottles, so the outrageousness multiplies. It's not like being at an amusement park where you will buy 1 or 2 bottles the whole day, but then will be back home after that.

Well, I agree with you to a point. I think the prices of drinks are outrageous too, and we usually have our drinks on shore.

I don't drink beer, but I see I can get a 12 pack of Budweiser for under $9 at Walmart down the street from me. That's the regular price. That's .75 a beer. What does NCL charge for a mass market beer? I seem to remember a "bucket deal" of 10 beers for $20 being advertised on a cruise recently. That's 2.7 times the price I can get the beer from Walmart. (It may have been five beers ... someone chime in with what a can of sludge ... er, beer ... costs on board).

So, while we are not cruising NCL any time soon because they have finally tipped us over the edge with this last change, it isn't because their markup is out of the ordinary for items they sell. It isn't "one thousand percent markup!" It's about 2.5 times what I would pay for the same item at a convenience store near the port.

The "bucket deal" is buy 5 beers get 1 "free". The total cost charged to your account includes 18% gratuity and is around $45.

Best thread ever. Not enough cheese in the world to cover all these wines.

We have brand loyal sugar addicts, water terroir experts and a ship full of jail house lawyers.

Pass the popcorn and post on...

24 hour countdown mode till NCL starts it's new beverage and water policy !

Watch as NCL unfurls its new banner the "Skull and Crossbones"

How long is this idiocy going to last till it is rescinded ?

Let see how long it stays and if it beats the take out food from buffet to cabin.

Get the picket signs ready - bull horns - call the media in for national attention !

Let see how long it stays and if it beats the take out food from buffet to cabin.

Get the picket signs ready - bull horns - call the media in for national attention !

I've always wanted to meet Captain Jack Sparrow in the flesh so maybe I will in August. In the meantime keep an eye on these:

• Norwegian Dawn out of Boston

• Norwegian Jade out of Venice

• Norwegian Sky out of Miami

• Norwegian Gem out of New York

• Norwegian Jewel out of Seattle

• Pride of America out of Honolulu

I hope this coming weekend turns out to be entertaining. :D

Best thread ever. Not enough cheese in the world to cover all these wines.

We have brand loyal sugar addicts, water terroir experts and a ship full of jail house lawyers.

Pass the popcorn and post on...

haha......yes, i'd have to say i'm more loyal to my soda maker than i am my cruise provider. :D

I've read a few posts about adapting and being flexible. Since when should I have to be adaptable and flexible while on vacation? NCL is part of the hospitality industry and that means making the guest feel welcome and meeting the guests needs to the maximum extent possible. Now, I understand that they may not have my brand of soda onboard because of contracts and storage issues. I get it. But in the past they accommodated that by allowing me to bring on some of my own. Now they have stopped it. Not making me feel welcome. Not making me feel like my needs are met. Not making me feel like an honored guest.

I happen to not be brand loyal to any particular soda but I know many people who are and I can certainly see why this would be an issue for them. I don't drink bottled water as a rule but I can certainly understand someone having a preference for their own type of water.

The "bucket deal" is buy 5 beers get 1 "free". The total cost charged to your account includes 18% gratuity and is around $45.

Which being "beer" has been mentioned a few times lately, I will go there. NCL is probably paying around .85-.90 per 16oz. aluminum bottles of the AB, MillerCoors brands.

There is a huge Mark-up , gross profit on beer also.

Does NCL change things absolutely!

Are pax a "captive audience absolutely!

It is Corporate America as we know it today. Size of packages has changed with price staying same or going up.

We have become accustomed to watching gas prices jump 37-40 cents overnight and the list could go on and on.

It does and should make us mad, but after the shock wears off we accept it.

However he might get his money back via the credit card dispute because...

He paid for one thing

The company he paid changed what they offered him initially which made him book

So

The company...Ncl... Is no longer going to provide what he expected from them

The pax actually has a very good case and credit card companies do tend to take care of their customers in disputes

Fwiw Ncl really should have offered those past final payment to opportunity to cancel risk free...or....

Start the new no water nonsense 90 days from now AND grandfather in current pax already booked

No he won't. He paid for a cruise and would have gotten a cruise. Threats to complain to a CC company are just that, idle threats that have no chance of winning. All the guy is going to do is get blacklisted from all of the NCL family of cruise lines.

Well, someone has started a happiness and light thread about how people should all stop worrying about NCL's changes and just enjoy their trip. Good for them and I sincerely wish them well.

But I can't help but wonder what would happen if the NEXT shoe to drop from what is apparently a shoe-wearing octopus is something like this:

"To bring our dress code more in line with that of other cruise lines and to avoid confusion among our guests, effective two weeks from now, the following policies will be in effect. Except for guests under the age of 8, shorts may be worn to dinner only at our buffet restaurants. Denim attire is not permitted. Gentlemen are expected to wear ties at dinner at all dining venues other than the buffet and one of the main dining rooms (specific location will be posted on board). Jackets are required in Cagney's and Le Bistro. As noted, this change brings NCL in line with other cruise lines, and fosters the upscale atmosphere our customers have told us they prefer."

Or this:

"Out of concern for our guests' safety, effective two weeks from today, guests will no longer be permitted to remove alcoholic beverages from the location where they were purchased. Other than the wine that is permitted to be brought on board, the only alcoholic beverages that can be consumed in passenger rooms are those delivered by room service. Thank you for your understanding."

Or maybe this:

"To reduce confusion regarding the terms of the Ultimate Beverage Package, guests will be limited to one non-alcoholic drink in any 15 minute period and one drink containing alcohol in any 30 minute period. Any additional drinks a passenger wishes to obtain within that period may be purchased at the regular price."

Because at the end of the day, isn't that the point? That NCL has now decided that it will utilize its contractual power to change the terms of the cruise at any time it wants without regard for the circumstances under which a passenger booked?

It's easy to blow off concern about water or soda. But I'm amazed at how easily people are able to blow off concern about NCL making changes to policies on extremely short notice just because it isn't something that they care about.

Well, someone has started a happiness and light thread about how people should all stop worrying about NCL's changes and just enjoy their trip. Good for them and I sincerely wish them well.

But I can't help but wonder what would happen if the NEXT shoe to drop from what is apparently a shoe-wearing octopus is something like this:

"To bring our dress code more in line with that of other cruise lines and to avoid confusion among our guests, effective two weeks from now, the following policies will be in effect. Except for guests under the age of 8, shorts may be worn to dinner only at our buffet restaurants. Denim attire is not permitted. Gentlemen are expected to wear ties at dinner at all dining venues other than the buffet and one of the main dining rooms (specific location will be posted on board). Jackets are required in Cagney's and Le Bistro. As noted, this change brings NCL in line with other cruise lines, and fosters the upscale atmosphere our customers have told us they prefer."

Or this:

"Out of concern for our guests' safety, effective two weeks from today, guests will no longer be permitted to remove alcoholic beverages from the location where they were purchased. Other than the wine that is permitted to be brought on board, the only alcoholic beverages that can be consumed in passenger rooms are those delivered by room service. Thank you for your understanding."

Or maybe this:

"To reduce confusion regarding the terms of the Ultimate Beverage Package, guests will be limited to one non-alcoholic drink in any 15 minute period and one drink containing alcohol in any 30 minute period. Any additional drinks a passenger wishes to obtain within that period may be purchased at the regular price."

Because at the end of the day, isn't that the point? That NCL has now decided that it will utilize its contractual power to change the terms of the cruise at any time it wants without regard for the circumstances under which a passenger booked?

It's easy to blow off concern about water or soda. But I'm amazed at how easily people are able to blow off concern about NCL making changes to policies on extremely short notice just because it isn't something that they care about.

Well said!

(NCL's new brand: "AnythingButFreeStyle") :p

The reason "no taking food back to cabin" was rescinded is because NCL realized it was unenforceable. This water/soda ban is very different, since it is easy to enforce. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

If you check the stock price for NCL you will see it has gotten worldwide attention, but do they care? The stock price shot up over a dollar yesterday, and closed up 50 cents.

Edited by vince_g

Or this:

Or maybe this:

I am actually okay with any or all of these new policies. Try again.

While it sucks about this new policy and how NCL cloaked it with the reason of safety, it's not unreasonable. Think about when you go to a baseball game for example, you can't bring outside beverages or food in. Not saying that NCL is justified, but there are a lot of businesses in the food/beverage/entertainment/travel industry that have implemented this

and for those who don't want to pay the price for the bottled water, but still want filtered, search Amazon for "Brita 23.7 Ounce Hard Sided Water Bottle with 1 Filter, BPA Free"

And think of how you are saving the planet by not using and throwing away all those plastic bottles!

While it sucks about this new policy and how NCL cloaked it with the reason of safety, it's not unreasonable. Think about when you go to a baseball game for example, you can't bring outside beverages or food in. Not saying that NCL is justified, but there are a lot of businesses in the food/beverage/entertainment/travel industry that have implemented this

and for those who don't want to pay the price for the bottled water, but still want filtered, search Amazon for "Brita 23.7 Ounce Hard Sided Water Bottle with 1 Filter, BPA Free"

And think of how you are saving the planet by not using and throwing away all those plastic bottles!

You are in a ballpark for three or four hours--- NOT SEVERAL DAYS !!!

I don't know where you live, but in California, the plastic bottles don't end up in landfills. They are recycled into usable products.

The cruise ships also recycle everything they can and incinerate the rest.

Edited by swedish weave

The reason "no taking food back to cabin" was rescinded is because NCL realized it was unenforceable. This water/soda ban is very different, since it is easy to enforce. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

If you check the stock price for NCL you will see it has gotten worldwide attention, but do they care? The stock price shot up over a dollar yesterday, and closed up 50 cents.

Nice try !!! The Dow is at the highest point it has EVER been. A more telling comparison would be that a few months ago, NCL stock was around five dollars per share higher than CCL, but now is it two and a half to three dollars below CCL.