Large Charter caused dining problems

Karen13

robptaylor, are they limiting the time you can be served at open seating? On our cruise there were 700 in the group. They did take over late set seating, open seating was still available until 9PM. MDR manager really worked with us and we enjoyed table for two at 7:45, same wait staff for five nights. Hope you do not have the situation Karen13 endured, open seating no later than 6:45. The number in the group seems to affect how this plays out.

I just finished reading all 13 pages of this thread and think it was probably a mistake because now I'm REALLY mad about my upcoming cruise. The roll call for my upcoming cruise has been buzzing about a large church group that will be taking over the entire dining room at 8pm.

Don't get me wrong, I don't have anything against a church group. They could be a bunch of cloggers or basket weavers, but when they want to take over the ship and control the entire dining room and infringe on my experience, now I have a problem.

First I received a response from HAL saying yes there will be a large group on board but it will have little impact on our dining options. Today, about two weeks later I receive this response:

I find HAL's handling of this situation totally unacceptable. They treat the non-group passengers as steerage and not worthy of the experience we paid for. If I could, I would cancel this cruise and book something else but I have already made final payment, booked plane tickets, hotel, etc.

I can only hope my experience is better than the OP but so far it doesn't look likely.

The first time HAL corresponded with you they already knew the exact size of the group and what arrangements would be made for them. They were dishonest in their communication to you. Now that you are fully locked in payment wise, they are a bit more truthful. But do you really think that is the end of it?

I have been told by Ship Services the last available table for open seating will be around 6:45, so yes they are limiting the time. What does HAL suggest instead? Buffet, yuck if I wanted buffet food I would have gone with Carnival, or Specialty Restaurant, another way to bleed another $50/day out of me.

robptaylor, are they limiting the time you can be served at open seating? On our cruise there were 700 in the group. They did take over late set seating, open seating was still available until 9PM. MDR manager really worked with us and we enjoyed table for two at 7:45, same wait staff for five nights. Hope you do not have the situation Karen13 endured, open seating no later than 6:45. The number in the group seems to affect how this plays out.

The first time HAL corresponded with you they already knew the exact size of the group and what arrangements would be made for them. They were dishonest in their communication to you. Now that you are fully locked in payment wise, they are a bit more truthful. But do you really think that is the end of it?

Interesting how the details emerge AFTER final payment, isn't it? For robptaylor's sake I hope that is the end of it. But the reserved areas during the day aren't made clear, so that could mean Crow's Nest. But since it's a large group, I would think they've got the theater during the day, which is a good way to give a huge group their own large space.

I have been told by Ship Services the last available table for open seating will be around 6:45, so yes they are limiting the time. What does HAL suggest instead? Buffet, yuck if I wanted buffet food I would have gone with Carnival, or Specialty Restaurant, another way to bleed another $50/day out of me.

You paid for dinner in a sit-down service restaurant every night, and the buffet is not the same thing! Under normal circumstances, there's enough dining room time/space to feed every passengers. If this group is taking the ENTIRE dining room at 8:00 but don't fill it, I wonder if everyone will be able to get a "proper" dinner. (you didn't say, how large is the group and how many passengers total are on your ship?)

I agree with RocketMan75. Get the best open dining time you can. I suggest you check the daily program as soon as you board and go to the dining reservations place and take care of it then. Don't wait until dinnertime.

If there is a positive to this, it's possible that the group will be in some place all together for part of the daytime, giving you more space at the pool or in a deck chair somewhere.

Good luck and I hope you can enjoy the cruise anyway.

sorry, this was probably covered before. But how do you know if there is a large group on your ship ?

We are booked on Zuiderdam - Jan 15 - Panama cruise.

the roll call is only 2 people and now you have me worried that maybe this is why.

thanks

Check this thread that is specific to HAL: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2383167&highlight=charters

CGinMTL - We are booked on Zuiderdam - Jan 15 - Panama cruise.

the roll call is only 2 people and now you have me worried that maybe this is why.

thanks

Alberta Quilter - Check this thread that is specific to HAL: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...light=charters

Zuiderdam : 07 October 2016 - 19 October 2016 : Canada/NE : knitting group AND Christian fellowship group

Zuiderdam : 30 October 2016 - 09 November 2016 : Panama Canal : Vegan Cruise Planners group ( approx 125 registered as of May 2016, only taking max 200; will have their own vegan meals prepared, and also vegan "foodie" demos for their group)

These groups are listed for the cruises prior and after to ours on October 19 – 30.

I started a cc roll call in January ’15, not even one person responded, asked the Host Walt to please remove it.

Spoke with a HAL rep and their response was: They could not give me the information on whether there will be a large group on board.

And….. Even if they did, they could not divulge that information.

This cruise is costing us close to 10g, Neptune Suite, for two very special occasions – My husband’s big birthday and our wedding anniversary.

Yes, final payment had been made. So with 70 or so days to go if we cancel we lose 50%. That’s not chump change.

The problem is being uncomfortable with whatever large group is onboard, HAL should be honest with us. :mad:

sorry, this was probably covered before. But how do you know if there is a large group on your ship ?

thanks

CGinMTL and gr8life: the dry dock/charter/group listing that is referenced in post #255 above does not show any groups on your January 15 Zuiderdam sailing. The CC person who builds and maintains that list spends a fair amount of time researching online and pulling information from other CC members so I would have to believe that there is no large group on your sailing. There may be one or two obscure small groups that you likely won't even be aware of. You can certainly also do your own internet searches to see if any groups are on your sailing that have been overlooked thus far. Personally, I would not concern myself with it. :)

thanks

Call HAL's Group Administration department at 1-888-425-9477 and ask if there is a group on your cruise and, if there is, how large it is. After I complained about groups on HAL cruises, the HAL President's Office said to call and they would give me the info I wanted. I've called them before and, while not welcoming my call, after I told them the President's Office said I could call there were helpful.

If I were on your cruise I would sent a note to the President's Office outlining your concerns. As a passenger, according to HAL, you should "...receive the same attentive service and access to shipboard amenities." This quote is from a letter one of the President's Office Special Advisors sent me. Blocking all non-group passengers from Main Dining is not equal access to shipboard amenities. Perhaps 1/2 of the group could eat in the Lido if it's such a great alternative to the MDR? (Only semi-tongue in cheek).

I really wish we could agree to refer to "charters" to as full ship charters and "groups" to groups on regular cruises.

Yup.. there are Naturist (Nude) Charters but not going to see a Naturist Group - at least not doing their "thing". :D or maybe :eek:

Apostleship of the Seas

RCCL's next ship? :rolleyes:

We really prefer to dine at 8pm as we do at home. If we got bumped for a group and there was the slightest suggestion to switch to Lido when I got back I would be speaking to someone in person at the Seattle HQ. Most days I can get downtown within an hour. At least it looks like Amsterdam (old) does not do many groups.

the roll call is only 2 people and now you have me worried that maybe this is why. thanks

To give you an idea of what groups are booked on the Zuiderdam I've copied and pasted from another valuable thread on here kindly maintained by CJcruzer. I've only pulled the section for Zuiderdam - the actual thread covers all the HAL ships. There are some Sunfarer which are longer than 7 days. Fellow CCers who hear about groups sailing HAL that aren't listed on the thread should let CJruzer know so it can be added.

From the CC thread titled: July 2016 update: Hal dry docks, charters & groups

Zuiderdam : 08 August 2016 - 21 August 2016 : Baltics : Road Scholars

Zuiderdam : 21 August 2016 - 07 September 2016 : Viking Passage : card players group

Zuiderdam : 07 October 2016 - 19 October 2016 : Canada/NE : knitting group AND Christian fellowship group

Zuiderdam : 30 October 2016 - 09 November 2016 : Panama Canal : Vegan Cruise Planners group ( approx 125 registered as of May 2016, only taking max 200; will have their own vegan meals prepared, and also vegan "foodie" demos for their group)

Zuiderdam : 30 November 2016 - 11 December 2016 : Panama Canal sunfarer: Road Scholars

Zuiderdam : 15 February 2017 - 25 February 2017 : Panama Canal sunfarer : NW Anesthesia group AND Credit Union Conference group

Zuiderdam : 09 April 2017 - 19 April 2017 : Panama Canal : Continuing Education, Cardiology issues (26-50 pax)

Zuiderdam : 16 July 2017 - 30 July 2017 : Northern Isles/Iceland : NW Anesthesia seminar group

Zuiderdam : 30 July 2017 - 11 August 2017 : British Isles/Norway : Bright Horizons, Insight Cruises group AND KNITTING GROUP

Zuiderdam : 11 August 2017 - 23 August 2017 : Baltic : kosher cruise group

Edited by summersigh

To give you an idea of what groups are booked on the Zuiderdam I've copied and pasted from another valuable thread on here kindly maintained by CJcruzer. I've only pulled the section for Zuiderdam - the actual thread covers all the HAL ships. There are some Sunfarer which are longer than 7 days. Fellow CCers who hear about groups sailing HAL that aren't listed on the thread should let CJruzer know so it can be added.

From the CC thread titled: July 2016 update: Hal dry docks, charters & groups

Zuiderdam : 08 August 2016 - 21 August 2016 : Baltics : Road Scholars

Zuiderdam : 21 August 2016 - 07 September 2016 : Viking Passage : card players group

Zuiderdam : 30 November 2016 - 11 December 2016 : Panama Canal sunfarer: Road Scholars

Zuiderdam : 15 February 2017 - 25 February 2017 : Panama Canal sunfarer : NW Anesthesia group AND Credit Union Conference group

Zuiderdam : 09 April 2017 - 19 April 2017 : Panama Canal : Continuing Education, Cardiology issues (26-50 pax)

Zuiderdam : 16 July 2017 - 30 July 2017 : Northern Isles/Iceland : NW Anesthesia seminar group

Zuiderdam : 30 July 2017 - 11 August 2017 : British Isles/Norway : Bright Horizons, Insight Cruises group AND KNITTING GROUP

Zuiderdam : 11 August 2017 - 23 August 2017 : Baltic : kosher cruise group

Hopefully no groups/charters get added!

Edited by Heartgrove

I really wish we could agree to refer to "charters" to as full ship charters and "groups" to groups on regular cruises. I realize it is a lost cause but those two are very different things.

No problem. It doesn't change the fact that partial charters do exist, but since HAL doesn't use the term on their website, I'm happy to concede to the fact that some CCers don't understand the term. ;)

Rob, that was exactly the situation we found ourselves in. We ate in the Tamarind on three nights (at a cost) which was lovely, ( we had intended to do two nights anyway) and one night in the Pinnacle which was part of our Explore 4 package. After the debacle of the first night (when we managed to eventually get a late table in Tamarind) and after many complaints we managed to secure a table in the MDR for the remaining nights at about 7.00pm. The staff did their best to accommodate us, and were clearly unhappy at having so many unhappy passengers.

We have taken many cruises and have never experienced this before, it is not what you expect from a cruise holiday.

But it seems from your post that HAL is continuing to book these large groups with no regard for the impact on the remaining passengers, which is totally wrong in my opinion, and actually makes their regrets for our inconvenience sound a little hollow.

And I wonder how many of us that were inconvenienced actually bothered to pursue this further?

Rob, that was exactly the situation we found ourselves in. We ate in the Tamarind on three nights (at a cost) which was lovely, ( we had intended to do two nights anyway) and one night in the Pinnacle which was part of our Explore 4 package. After the debacle of the first night (when we managed to eventually get a late table in Tamarind) and after many complaints we managed to secure a table in the MDR for the remaining nights at about 7.00pm. The staff did their best to accommodate us, and were clearly unhappy at having so many unhappy passengers.

We have taken many cruises and have never experienced this before, it is not what you expect from a cruise holiday.

But it seems from your post that HAL is continuing to book these large groups with no regard for the impact on the remaining passengers, which is totally wrong in my opinion, and actually makes their regrets for our inconvenience sound a little hollow.

And I wonder how many of us that were inconvenienced actually bothered to pursue this further?

"...a little hollow" is probably an understatement (i.e. you're being kind) but I understand your desire not to be overly contentious. Your last question is excellent and one which I'm guessing HAL is counting on as evidence that their policy of booking large groups while not inconveniencing other guests is valid. :mad:

Edited by joepeka

This thread and several others has me concerned about a cruise my wife has us booked on. There will be a group of 700 people from the national review, a conservative news organization, onboard. I don't want our access to dining venues, pools and the crows nest limited but I can't help think it will be. I can't seem to find out how limited our access will be.

SDCruiserCpl, What option did you select for the MDR? If you like late set seating you will be disappointed. Large groups seem to always receive this choice. We had a group of 700, still had option of open seating until 9PM. Karen13 had 900, which proved to be too many. We never saw the group take over the Crow's Nest. On embarkation day they did have an event in Showroom. Hope you are at least as fortunate.

This thread and several others has me concerned about a cruise my wife has us booked on. There will be a group of 700 people from the national review, a conservative news organization, onboard. I don't want our access to dining venues, pools and the crows nest limited but I can't help think it will be. I can't seem to find out how limited our access will be.

Have you tried looking at the national review's website to see if there's a description of activities? HAL won't tell you, we know that. They'll just say all will be OK. If the group is that large, I think they may be using the theater for daytime activities. What other space is large enough to hold a group of that size? Break-out sessions, if they do that, might use the Crows Nest if the meeting rooms don't provide enough places. The pools are unlikely to be affected unless they have some kid of pool party, and that would be a one-off. I don't think I've ever heard of a pool being reserved for a group every day.

I think your main concern is dining time. Call HAL to verify the dining time you've asked for. Or if you booked through a TA, have him/her call HAL and ask.

Good luck!

From the website:

nine scintillating seminars featuring NR's editors and guest speakers;

two fun-filled "Night Owl" sessions;

numerous "break out" policy sessions;

three revelrous pool-side cocktail receptions;

a late-night "smoker" featuring world-class cigars;

a sunny itinerary and a beautiful fun-filled ship

intimate dining on two evenings with a guest speaker or editor.

Might be some disruption but should be minor.

Mostly like a Sunday Morning TV Talk Show.

Probably a fairly upscale crowd. The cheapest room available is a Cat J inside for 'only' $1999 PP. A Neptune runs 'only' $4899 PP.

Regular fares: Inside guarantee: $599PP. Neptune: SA $2899.

So, these folks are paying a $2000 PP premium (roughly).

From the website:

three revelrous pool-side cocktail receptions;

a sunny itinerary and a beautiful fun-filled ship

Might be some disruption but should be minor.

Probably a fairly upscale crowd. The cheapest room available is a Cat J inside for 'only' $1999 PP. A Neptune runs 'only' $4899 PP.

Regular fares: Inside guarantee: $599PP. Neptune: SA $2899.

So, these folks are paying a $2000 PP premium (roughly).

I suppose some of that cost pays for the speakers and the expensive cigars. I'm having trouble visualizing "intimate dining" for 700 people.

It looks like 3 afternoon/early evening periods where one of the pools won't be available. That's a lot. One day, OK they can have a pool party. But three???? OTOH, if there are nine seminars plus break-out session, there should be times when the pool and other areas aren't at all crowded.

From the website:

Sounds riveting

How to maintain privacy and treat other guests properly. Not likely going to happen but we can dream.

The identity of the group does NOT need to be named, just the effect it will have on other passengers. That's the main concern people have.

1. If a group does not want other non group guests to enjoy alcohol or other ship wide features then they must do a full charter. This would include significant "custom" entertainment requirements during the entire cruise (not just some private shows). Nude cruises, as an example, already do this.

2. Any dining area off limits to others for a meal must be declared to other passengers before final payment. Booked guests must get an update if this happens. This includes eliminating an mdr seating or restrictions of open seating ( say cutting off more than an hour)

Dining areas being off limits during non meal times do not need to be declared.

3. Similar rule for the theatre. No declaration during what is normally unused time for passengers. eg a private lecture or show at 09h00 is fine, but one at 18h30 needs to be declared.

4. Private Meeting rooms do not need to be declared. That's why they are there.

5. A single public area can be booked for up to 4-8 hours ( depending on the area) per cruise without being declared. These groups do pay a premium so let them have a cocktail party each day if they wish, just can't monopolize a single lounge during prime time the entire cruise, but they could move it around each day without a problem.

Like I said not going to happen but see can dream.

We again must question the validity of the "privacy" issue re groups. Most groups are quite public with their group cruises (usually even have a web site for folks to sign-up) and the groups certainly are very public onboard with specific group oriented signs for their private functions, support desk, etc. That being said. we still see this issue as a basic self-serving cruise line policy aimed at keeping most passengers in the dark regarding groups (so they will continue to book a cruise). At the very least we think that this should be part of a basic cruisers "bill of rights" where all cruisers should be notified if a large group (i.e. more then 10% or perhaps 20% of the ship capacity) is booked on a specific cruise. It should be a the "cruisers" decision as to whether they want to be aboard any cruise with a large group.

Hank