Guarantee suites

divsec

I see from your comments that you have not been allocated a cabin yet.

We sail on the same cruise and we are still awaiting our cabin number, not been offered any up sell.

Looking on some of the web sites it is saying that only A and A1 cabins available for this sailing.

The upsell came through my TA from Seabourn, are you direct with Sb? Might be the difference. We grabbed a guarantee veranda @ £1799 with £300 each allowance towards air. Was a very good offer and I took the bait! I don't know if the upsell is a ploy to get some back. I really enjoy trying to understand the sales mentality. We will look out for you on board, I'll be the tall large Yorkshireman enjoying life to the max, my wife will be tutting away as usual. Are you flying with Sb or going it on your own? We are with Sb 07:00 out of lhr and back into Gatwick?

Perhaps it's just me but I feel very uncomfortable about "deals" being discussed in detail on the forum.

We have always taken the view that what we pay is between us and Seabourn and never tell anybody what we have paid nor would we ever ask.

I think we all know that there are good deals around on some occasions and feel lucky should they ever come our way but we are always mindful that many people will have paid full price and don't want to be told that someone else has done better.

Also if Seabourn see details coming up on public forums they may be less likely to offer the last minute deals!

I certainly never discuss what one has paid with anyone onboard when we are cruising, and it is not a Seabourn habit, unlike some other Brit. lines we have been on in the past. But I do not really see a problem in a discussion on CC - we mostly do not know one another, so it is fairly anonymous, and I feel it is helpful to people to get ideas of how they may get a good 'deal' if they are so inclined. Obviously none of this applies to the extra rich souls who always book a top suite of their choice without being concerned about the cost. I don't think Seabourn would make too much of it, personally, but you can correct me if I am wrong.

I agree - and also agree with Tilly that I don't think Seabourn do offer other than quite pricey upgrades for that reason. It will be interesting to hear how Divsec goes on. We were once offered an upsell, and said yes, but it had already gone because of being fairly cheap (not to a penthouse). I realise that if people have paid top dollar and look here they could be upset, but the majority of cruisers are not on CC, and, as I said, I have never yet known anyone ask how much one has paid; indeed, most people would not dream of telling you if they are in a top suite unless it needs to come out in conversation. One of the nice things about Seabourn people.

I hate it on the likes of Fred Olsen, which we used to go on years ago, when people boast about booking 5 days before the cruise for £100, and tell you so with glee.

Hi Lincslady

I hear what you say regarding the "extra rich souls" not being concerned but if someone has saved hard to book a penthouse for a special occasion they may well be a little upset.

I hear you, on the above and on the vulgarity, but remember others can only be upset if SB take up the low offer. I am yet to hear this happen bit we will see. I would be very surprised TBH.

Perhaps it's just me but I feel very uncomfortable about "deals" being discussed in detail on the forum.

We have always taken the view that what we pay is between us and Seabourn and never tell anybody what we have paid nor would we ever ask.

I think we all know that there are good deals around on some occasions and feel lucky should they ever come our way but we are always mindful that many people will have paid full price and don't want to be told that someone else has done better.

Also if Seabourn see details coming up on public forums they may be less likely to offer the last minute deals!

You have a point but I would not know anything about how Seabourn operate without reading on CC. I also would not embarrass myself or fellow cruisers by boasting on board but specifics on here seem helpful. My T A recommended waiting till on board, but as we read earlier in this thread they are less flexible, preferring to sail empty. Sorry if I offend you or any other poster but sometimes talking around a subject just doesn't do it for me. I'm not sure SB management have a forum lurker, and if they would pay much attention, different attitude to those afloat.

Finally no word back on my offer!😁

I hear you, on the above and on the vulgarity, but remember others can only be upset if SB take up the low offer. I am yet to hear this happen bit we will see. I would be very surprised TBH.

So would I but as SB made me an offer it seems only fair to counter offer.

So would I but as SB made me an offer it seems only fair to counter offer.

Divsec, oh i agree go for it. I just havent heard of a counter offer being taken up. However, theres always a first time. As for the on board offer, that is very slim. This is because you are reliant on a penthouse person wanting to pay extra for a suite. As the leftover penthouses will have previously been assigned to guarantees.

Not to be "vulgar" but my ta just got us a huge reduction on my cabin just by calling. He did it without my asking him to do so. This is the way of the world. High volume ta's have clout and get deals on cruise lines all the time. We will pay top price if we want something and were prepared to do so but I don't know anyone who doesn't like to pay less for the same thing --including the extra rich souls.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by bitob

Count me as being skeptical of a TA getting a huge discount on SB just by calling. Its like the neighbor who never bought a stock the went down in price. For those that get these deals good for you.

Thank goodness once on board peeps don't talk about what they paid for SB. The same can't be said about discounted business class fares or comparisons with SS .

Seabourn is in the money making business first and foremost. If revenue management sees that they can eek out several more thousands by offering upsells to cabins in the weeks coming up to the cruise then they will do it. Waiting till boarding to ask for an upsell seems rather risky as the people able to price the cabin will likely not be on board.

The airlines do the exact same thing. It used to be that they would hold all the first class seats for sale till the last minute and then if they didn't sell they would give them away as complimentary upgrades to elite flyers. Now revenue management looks at the data and when checking in offers discounted upsells to the front cabins. Sure there are some disgruntled elites who are complaining but they don't move their business. If you want to see examples of this, go to flyertalk's United Airlines forum and search for "Tens of Dollars" or TOD.

I have not yet cruised seabourn but upgrades upon boarding would be a lousy business proposition. I know Oceania well and they only do upsells. Upgrades are almost non existent. You of course can negotiate the cost of the upsell but you pay something

Also every cruise is different. A cruise that has not sold well is where you find the best opportunities.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Divsec, dont be surprised if they dont even come back to you. My friend has also mentioned that. He was then assigned a guarantee cabin and after that point all paid upgrades are unavailable. So hopefully you will hear before you are assigned a cabin, though by monday i would expect you will be assigned your guarantee. As it is usually just under two weeks before.

Divsec, dont be surprised if they dont even come back to you. My friend has also mentioned that. He was then assigned a guarantee cabin and after that point all paid upgrades are unavailable. So hopefully you will hear before you are assigned a cabin, though by monday i would expect you will be assigned your guarantee. As it is usually just under two weeks before.

Thanks all for your comments, they did get back a few minutes ago, with a positive but equally inadequate counter offer. It does show that SB will talk. I'm going to be very happy to be on board and the money saved on not upgrading might just find its way into a glass, poured from a super bottle of premium fizz. Oh happy days 14 sleeps to go. If anyone would like the precise numbers please pm me and I will be pleased to advise.

Thanks all for your comments, they did get back a few minutes ago, with a positive but equally inadequate counter offer. It does show that SB will talk. I'm going to be very happy to be on board and the money saved on not upgrading might just find its way into a glass, poured from a super bottle of premium fizz. Oh happy days 14 sleeps to go. If anyone would like the precise numbers please pm me and I will be pleased to advise.

Pleased they did come back to you. Unfortunately there is no way of sending a pm on cc. So i guess all will remain a mystery!

Mancunian, sounds like they just have alot of people who bought guarantees, and are trying to get more revenue from upsells. It is very late also to not be assigned your room. My mother is on this saturdays cruise and got her cabin assignment about two weeks ahead, so i would suspect lots of guarantees.