Guarantee suites

divsec

I think Sandy is also on 1st October. I find this an interesting topic, and hope divsec will tell us his final outcome.

We used to always choose, but recently have done guarantee. Our last was in the spring, and the suite no. came up 14 days before, and was a V4. Were once previously offered an upsell, but missed out on it, as it was a good offer and quickly taken up.

I thought it was unusual too. We are on the Odyssey on Oct 1 with Divsec.

I am not tempted by the up-sell on this occasion but have been in the past. To be honest, this is probably only the fourth or fifth time that we've booked an OB, and we only did so because we're only onboard for seven days.

Last year, we made the mistake of doing so for a 3 week trip and ended up paying almost what we had paid for the trip in upgrading because our cabin allocation on an OB was V1,and there were no upgrade offers available so we had to effectively rebook.

On this occasion, the original OB deal was great and we've been allocated a V6 so pretty happy.

Luck of the draw, I guess, but i think that Divsec may be lucky!

We had an odd situation on a 7 day cruise last summer. We decided to go for OB due to the cruise being short length. We've only previously taken OB when there was nothing else available.

Anyway, around 16 days out we were allocated a suite, not one that I would have chosen but it was only for 7 days so I could live with it.

A few days after that SB called our TA with an upsell. We declined. A day or so after that, our suite was re-allocated and it was a much better suite than the one we'd been allocated originally.

It was an odd experience all round as I've never previously been offered an upsell after suite allocation, as Tilly said. Then for the suite to be changed to something better, after we'd declined an upsell, was odder still.

SB inventory moves in mysterious ways!

Am reading this thread with interest because we are booked OB for the November 2016 Antartica cruise, so 3 weeks in whatever cabin we get - which clearly won't be assigned for a while!

Forgive me if this question is indelicate, or just not allowed, but what kind of $$ amounts are the offers to upgrade before sailing (or after cabin assignments)? Hundreds (probably not :D), thousands? Any rough idea of how the dollar amount would generally compare to the cost of booking it to begin with? In other words, if they have higher cabins and offer as upsell/upgrades, is there a break on the price?

Am reading this thread with interest because we are booked OB for the November 2016 Antartica cruise, so 3 weeks in whatever cabin we get - which clearly won't be assigned for a while!

Forgive me if this question is indelicate, or just not allowed, but what kind of $$ amounts are the offers to upgrade before sailing (or after cabin assignments)? Hundreds (probably not :D), thousands? Any rough idea of how the dollar amount would generally compare to the cost of booking it to begin with? In other words, if they have higher cabins and offer as upsell/upgrades, is there a break on the price?

Vulgar was used when I mentioned specifics earlier in this thread, around 14/9/16. But they are still there. To answer generally, yes I think they are value, but wait for the second offer, even consider a counter offer. Bear in mind that if you are on a guarantee you will be sailing at a discount to even the lowest priced suite.

Still waiting for allocation, are the decisions made in Seattle? Just thinking time zones.

I believe so, but it's been mentioned that once the upsells have been cleared then it's an automated process so the time zone shouldn't be an issue. Really not 100% though.

I was talking to a group of SB friends yesterday evening and this topic came up. I mentioned earlier in the thread that in my own experience suites tend to be allocated 7-14 days before embarkation but friends who've taken OB this summer have said that recently it's been more like 3-5 days before. I think this is in line with what we've been reading here at CC lately?

Also to add. Last summer, almost 3 weeks out before my cruise some other CC members had their suite allocations.

I started to check in My Seabourn twice a day :o . Nothing.

My friends had their allocation 14 days before. Me, still nothing.

My allocation came in exactly one week before departure. No idea why I was so far behind the others. As I said SB moves in mysterious ways.

Save

Save

Also to add. Last summer, almost 3 weeks out before my cruise some other CC members had their suite allocations.

I started to check in My Seabourn twice a day :o . Nothing.

My friends had their allocation 14 days before. Me, still nothing.

My allocation came in exactly one week before departure. No idea why I was so far behind the others. As I said SB moves in mysterious ways.

Save

Save

How did your allocation compare to that of your friends? Indeed did you book before or after them? Are you at the beginning or end of the alphabet? The anticipation of the cruise is almost as much fun as the cruise itself. Still I'm in the final week, starting packing soon.

How did your allocation compare to that of your friends? Indeed did you book before or after them? Are you at the beginning or end of the alphabet? The anticipation of the cruise is almost as much fun as the cruise itself. Still I'm in the final week, starting packing soon.

Good questions!

We booked on the same day, with the same UK TA. I'm towards the beginning of the alphabet (D). Friends are J and T. They were allocated a V5 on deck 6, I was allocated a V6 on deck 8. I'd have preferred their allocation actually. When I'm choosing a veranda suite I always go for midship deck 6, it's my preferred location.

Agree about the anticipation. I've just over 3 weeks before mine. :D

Save

Edited by Isklaar

Good questions!

We booked on the same day, with the same UK TA. I'm towards the beginning of the alphabet (D). Friends are J and T. They were allocated a V5 on deck 6, I was allocated a V6 on deck 8. I'd have preferred their allocation actually. When I'm choosing a veranda suite I always go for midship deck 6, it's my preferred location.

Agree about the anticipation. I've just over 3 weeks before mine. :D

Save

No rhyme or reason to it. I have just checked my reservation and the embark and disembark information has gone missing. I bet they send me to a different port and forget to send the ship. Thanks all who are participating in my holiday!

No rhyme or reason to it. I have just checked my reservation and the embark and disembark information has gone missing. I bet they send me to a different port and forget to send the ship. Thanks all who are participating in my holiday!

:D

Must admit I started panicking before my cruise last summer when it seemed like everyone but me had their allocation, those few days were very bad for my mental health!

Seriously, I'd say the system is currently performing its magic with inventory and reckon you'll have a suite number by the end of today. Do let us know!

Save

Let me add another thought to Zentravrler's query. On most cruises an upgrade can be a good thing but on the Antarctica cruises even though deck 8 is our preferred location we booked deck 5 midship for our a Holiday Antarctica cruise this year. The reason is with a number of days traversing the notorious Drake's Passage I want to be where effects of the motion of the boat are reduced (hence low down and midship). Clearly others had the same idea because those suites booked up quickly. So maybe this is not the cruise to accept an upswell even at a good price?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Let me add another thought to Zentravrler's query. On most cruises an upgrade can be a good thing but on the Antarctica cruises even though deck 8 is our preferred location we booked deck 5 midship for our a Holiday Antarctica cruise this year. The reason is with a number of days traversing the notorious Drake's Passage I want to be where effects of the motion of the boat are reduced (hence low down and midship). Clearly others had the same idea because those suites booked up quickly. So maybe this is not the cruise to accept an upswell even at a good price?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This is an excellent point.