Nickle and diming, no problem as long as NCL gives us a better product

skeeter195

But that's what NCL says they're doing by banning water/sodas from being brought onboard:

From Fox News:

Quote "NCL claims its new policy brings it in line with its competitors. That’s true for alcohol, but most other cruise lines – including Celebrity, Disney, Royal Caribbean and Princess – either permit guests to bring soft drinks and bottled water on board, or do not mention those items at all." End Quote

I was referring to the price they charge for water, since some feel NCL should do as Carnival is doing and charge $3.99 for a case. Edited by NLH Arizona

I was referring to the price they charge for water, since some feel NCL should do as Carnival is doing and charge $3.99 for a case.

I gotcha.....I wasn't trying to be rude. Just saying NCL really isn't in line with their competitors. :)

I have a water bottle that has a filter in it. They are not very expensive and more eco friendly anyway. I personally have no problem with cruise ship water and have never purchased bottle water at sea. Anyone that wants that extra filtered water can purchase one of these. I was sad when they started charging for room service (I just enjoy eating on the balcony at midnight sometimes) but it is not a deal-breaker for me.

With all due respect, I do not think NCL is in competition with Carnival, nor do they want to be.

You may not think so and they may not want to be but NCL is in competition with CCL and RCCL, at least for now.

You may not think so and they may not want to be but NCL is in competition with CCL and RCCL, at least for now.

I agree with RCCL, but not Carnival. The NCL of today is trying to get far away from that label. Carnival is perceived as bottom of the barrel, whether that is accurate or not. It is apparent that NCL is trying to attract a more upscale crowd now. I can't imagine them wanting to be in the same category as Carnival. That's my opinion, anyway.

I agree with RCCL, but not Carnival. The NCL of today is trying to get far away from that label. Carnival is perceived as bottom of the barrel, whether that is accurate or not. It is apparent that NCL is trying to attract a more upscale crowd now. I can't imagine them wanting to be in the same category as Carnival. That's my opinion, anyway.

I know that Del Rio doesn't want to be seen as being in competition with them but CCL, NCL and RCCL all offer a similar product and the fare differential isn't that far off depending on when one can book. I realize that NCL is trying to attract a more upscale crowd but they still have a long way to go to actually achieve that vision.

(I was recently reading an interesting thread in the Ask a Cruise Question forum where someone was looking for rankings for the premium and luxury lines. One of the things that stood out to me was that those lines have a very low staff to passenger ratio in order to provide superlative service. If NCL wants to move up they'll have to hire more staff, not cut staff as they have been doing, among other things that still need to be done.)

I know that Del Rio doesn't want to be seen as being in competition with them but CCL, NCL and RCCL all offer a similar product and the fare differential isn't that far off depending on when one can book. I realize that NCL is trying to attract a more upscale crowd but they still have a long way to go to actually achieve that vision.

(I was recently reading an interesting thread in the Ask a Cruise Question forum where someone was looking for rankings for the premium and luxury lines. One of the things that stood out to me was that those lines have a very low staff to passenger ratio in order to provide superlative service. If NCL wants to move up they'll have to hire more staff, not cut staff as they have been doing, among other things that still need to be done.)

Yes, I agree.

Edited by Sissaaaaaa

Some claim there are differences in bottled water such that they can only tolerate certain brands.

If Aquafina is just purified tap water then what's wrong with it as NCL's offering?

Who wants to pay for purified tap water? (I rarely buy bottled water but Aquafina wouldn't make my top ten list).

But that's what NCL says they're doing by banning water/sodas from being brought onboard:

From Fox News:

Quote "NCL claims its new policy brings it in line with its competitors. That’s true for alcohol, but most other cruise lines – including Celebrity, Disney, Royal Caribbean and Princess – either permit guests to bring soft drinks and bottled water on board, or do not mention those items at all." End Quote

RCCL also prohibits water and soda from being carried on, although some have managed to get it through. I have seen it confiscated on our last 2 RCL cruises. They charge the same price for water packages as NCL. I have an RCL,and NCL upcoming and the 12 pack of water comes to 47.00 , including the gratuity, on both lines. It is clearly stated on their website that with the th exception of the bottle of wine allowed, no outside beverages.

For RCL-

My SIL has a child with renal issues and gets a note ( on a prescription pad, not on a letter head ) and is allowed to bring his bottled water aboard. She works with the accommodations department. I read in one of these threads that NCL will do the same .

If I needed special water I wouldn't cruise unless I hand carry those bottles on. Luggage gets lost, I am sure water cases can get lost. Too scary.

It seems that Princess and Carnival have very low prices for bottled water. I can't say if NCL charges more than average, as I don't know what MSC, Disney, X, Holland America, etc charge.

With all due respect, I do not think NCL is in competition with Carnival, nor do they want to be.

I have to say that in my opinion, and in many of my friends opinions, NCL is in competition with Carnival, RCCL, and other cruise lines. I have multiple friends and co-workers who cruise and don't rule out any lines when looking for a cruise vacation and have in the past cruised both NCL and Carnival as well as other lines. I personally have both a Carnival and NCL cruise currently booked. Yes there are differences....but not substantial IMHO. Not substantial enough to rule one line out when searching for which Ship I want to cruise on next. If I, or anyone else for that matter, am comparing an NCL, CCL, RCCL, Princess,and Celebrity ship when researching a vacation then yes they are in competition with each other....whether they want to be or not.

It wasn't me who wrote, it was MissJessicaB, as I've got no issue with the policy, as I've never brought on water or soda on any of my cruises.

It is funny, I also cruise on Celebrity and yes, I can get water included in their beverage package, but it is going to cost me considerably more than I pay on NCL. Take December 16, 2017. I can cruise a 7 night Caribbean cruise on Celebrity for $1,099/$1,204/$1,414 per person in a balcony (depending on if I pick 1, 2 or 3 of the perks offered: Beverage Package, $150 OBC, prepaid tips, unlimited internet). I can cruise a 7 night Caribbean cruise on NCL for $899 per person in a balcony and the choice of 2 perks offered (beverage package, shore excursion, 250 internet minutes, SDP). Even if you do apples to apples, Celebrity would cost me $1,204 (with two perks included) and NCL would cost me $899 (with two perks included) for a balcony cabin. I think with the $300 savings, I could afford to purchase the water at NCL's current prices. I think one has to look at the entire picture when picking cruises, not just one policy.

Your last sentence is golden!

We usually cruise with 3 teens and like suites or a suite with a connecting balcony as we like space. Carnival has nothing to offer us size-wise. Celebrity won't do for teens, nor will Disney. RCCL is another favorite, but their prices have gone crazy for the weeks that we can cruise with the kids. Amenities on board- slides, games, shows, family entertainment ( Howl at the Moon is the kid's fave) - all come in to,play when booking.

As of late, NCL has offered the quality, price, entertainment, itinerary and service that we like when we cruise together. We can do it for substantially less than on RCCL -at least for now!

Edited by Annmeat

Who wants to pay for purified tap water? (I rarely buy bottled water but Aquafina wouldn't make my top ten list).

We have a pitcher of ice water in our cabin. I'm sure the dining room or wherever the steward gets it from is the same as the room source. It tastes fine and the kids fill their refillable bottles from the pitcher. I HATE carrying a water bottle but will do so on an excursion.

We have a pitcher of ice water in our cabin. I'm sure the dining room or wherever the steward gets it from is the same as the room source. It tastes fine and the kids fill their refillable bottles from the pitcher. I HATE carrying a water bottle but will do so on an excursion.

Oh I agree, I rarely use bottled water (and when I do Aquafina is the last one I'd buy).

I have sailed DCL, NCL, Carnival and Princess.

Out of the three I would definitely rank Carnival below the other 3 and would only consider Carnival again if it was some kind of can't miss itinerary.

Sure, I suppose many would consider any of the "mass market" cruise lines when shopping for a cruise vacation, but they are definitely not all on equal footing.

I have sailed DCL, NCL, Carnival and Princess.

Out of the three I would definitely rank Carnival below the other 3 and would only consider Carnival again if it was some kind of can't miss itinerary.

Sure, I suppose many would consider any of the "mass market" cruise lines when shopping for a cruise vacation, but they are definitely not all on equal footing.

That is a matter of opinion. I have sailed the same 4 lines as you. Currently DCL is not on my radar when shopping a cruise vacation because I don't have young ones like I did when I sailed on them before. IMHO that is what makes sailing DCL worth the extra cost. Princess is my least favorite of the other 3. I would sail them again...but probably not in the near future unless I found a really good deal. NCL and Carnival IMHO are a close call. I would give NCL a slight edge, DH would give Carnival a slight edge. We like them both for different reasons but the basics between the two lines are too similar for us to give one the complete edge over the other, other factors beside the cruise line make the deciding factor for us there.

Edited by Warm Breezes

That is a matter of opinion. I have sailed the same 4 lines as you. Currently DCL is not on my radar when shopping a cruise vacation because I don't have young ones like I did when I sailed on them before. IMHO that is what makes sailing DCL worth the extra cost. Princess is my least favorite of the other 3. I would sail them again...but probably not in the near future unless I found a really good deal. NCL and Carnival IMHO are a close call. I would give NCL a slight edge, DH would give Carnival a slight edge. We like them both for different reasons but the basics between the two lines are too similar for us to give one the complete edge over the other, other factors beside the cruise line make the deciding factor for us there.

I have only sailed with NCL and CCL and I agree, they are more alike than they are different and the differences aren't as large as aficionado's of either line would lead you to believe. Now I recognize that if Del Rio achieves his vision for NCL that will not be the case but he still has a long way to go to get there.

It wasn't me who wrote, it was MissJessicaB, as I've got no issue with the policy, as I've never brought on water or soda on any of my cruises.

It is funny, I also cruise on Celebrity and yes, I can get water included in their beverage package, but it is going to cost me considerably more than I pay on NCL. Take December 16, 2017. I can cruise a 7 night Caribbean cruise on Celebrity for $1,099/$1,204/$1,414 per person in a balcony (depending on if I pick 1, 2 or 3 of the perks offered: Beverage Package, $150 OBC, prepaid tips, unlimited internet). I can cruise a 7 night Caribbean cruise on NCL for $899 per person in a balcony and the choice of 2 perks offered (beverage package, shore excursion, 250 internet minutes, SDP). Even if you do apples to apples, Celebrity would cost me $1,204 (with two perks included) and NCL would cost me $899 (with two perks included) for a balcony cabin. I think with the $300 savings, I could afford to purchase the water at NCL's current prices. I think one has to look at the entire picture when picking cruises, not just one policy.

Do the prices you listed for NCL include the gratuities?

Bill

Must be honest. This is the most ridiculous penny pinching, nickel and dimming move NCL could have done. Just purchased a package cruise and stay vacation and have no choice but to sail on the NCL Pearl. This will be my one and only NCL cruise. I'm taking my business back to HAL where you are treated like a value guest. I can order room service for free and bring on all the water, juice, canned pop I like. Oh and did I forget to mention HAL will also let me bring on one bottle of wine, FOR FREE!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums