Monarch: Going Over Thanksgiving - looking for input and your impression of the ship.

Sailfish

Hi There!

I will be on the Monarch over Thanksgiving; I have done this cruise many times. About a month before my trip, I begin to check reviews, and the ones I have been reading lately have not been the best.

Anyone have new input on the Monarch?

Thanks in advance!

Was on the Monarch for a 3 day in July. No real big problems encountered. There was a slight sewer smell but it did not last very long. Food and service was ok. Ship was clean. Three days is just to short.

Okay wasn't what I was hoping for. Oh well, I guess it's true; thing have gone down hill since our visit last year. Too bad. A slight sewer smell at any time isn't a good sign - even if it eventually goes away!

I would say that it has gone down by a lot in the past few years.

Agreed! The sewer smell we experienced last August was far from "slight". It was VERY obvious in our cabin (JS) since we left port.

The service was on and off, and I could go on and on, but I won't :mad:

I would not recommend the Monarch to anyone!

###

Any ideas on what is gong on with the Monarch?

We enjoy both Royal Caribbean and Celebrity; as we live in CA, taking the Monarch has become an annual event for us, a great way to celebrate the holidays with extended family - it's an easy port for everyone to get to. Last year's cruise was great, as was the year before that. I wonder why these issues have not been addressed? I have been seeing many negative reviews going back quite a few months.

It wasn't like our cruise aboard the Mariner or any other 7 night voyage, that's for sure. But we never experienced any issues with smells, the service or the food. We won't back out at this point, but it sure makes you wonder what the heck is going on!!

Just got off the Monarch on Friday. We had a wonderful time. The service and the food were excellent. I hope you get Anthony and Tudor as your waiters, they were fantastic:D .

we didn't notice the sewer smell at all.

I have no complaints about anything on the cruise, except that they made me get off at the end! I think you will be as happy as you let yourself be with the cruise. ;)

My DW and I were on the Monarch at the beginning of September for a 4 night cruise. I never noticed a sewer smell, but my partner, who had a JS said that from time to time he noticed one. The food and service were excellent. Meats were tender and cooked to order. My only complaint was that the music on the pool deck seemed loud, but it's a 4 day party for most people.

We were back aboard for a day as a visitor week before last, I took my time to wander most of the decks, and there was no oder what so ever.

At the end of the September cruise is when 3 crewmembers died of a gas as they were repairing an area that is seldom used.

We are cruising on her again in March. We found the crew to be happy, as they get more time off than other ships, as she is only at sea one day per week. She is not like the newer ships, but we have a lot of fun as she is.

Rick

There's nothing wrong with the Monarch. I've sailed her several times ( a few of these cruises were 7 nights when she was based in San Juan) and I'm on her regularily taking clients on ship tours and lunches. I've never experienced the sewer smells and I've stayed in cabins ranging from inside deck 2 to suites on deck 10. The service has always been great and the food was better than average and far exceeded my expectations for a short cruise. The ship is also preferred by most large groups including corporate functions and for the price RCI charges you can't stay home for a weekend and spend less money.

Don't hesitate to book the Monarch and have a great time!

There's nothing wrong with the Monarch. I've sailed her several times ( a few of these cruises were 7 nights when she was based in San Juan) and I'm on her regularily taking clients on ship tours and lunches. I've never experienced the sewer smells and I've stayed in cabins ranging from inside deck 2 to suites on deck 10. The service has always been great and the food was better than average and far exceeded my expectations for a short cruise. The ship is also preferred by most large groups including corporate functions and for the price RCI charges you can't stay home for a weekend and spend less money.

Don't hesitate to book the Monarch and have a great time!

RDeagazio.........you have more knowledge than most, and have probably spent more time on the Monarch than most. Thanks for the input. Your reputation is on the line, and that says more than any words that I can say. Thanks!!

Rick

Thanks, everyone!

One comment about visitors to the ship: you generally go on when the ship is at its cleanest. I'm not saying your comments are not appreciated (because they are), but spending a morning on the ship cannot provide you with the same experience as spending three or four nights aboard the ship. I am by no means an expert, but based on what I have observed, TA tours are to showcase the ship - the staff controls where you go and what you see. It's good input, so TA's can tell clients what to expect. But it's no substitute to speding time on the ship. Now I realize that many of you have, so I am not trying to discount your positive comments, In fact, I value them. But when a ship out there has so many bad reviews, it makes you wonder.

Personally, I think changes occur from week to week - that's why you have to take what people say with a grain of salt - both the positive commens as well as the negative. Despite the positive feed back from some people, the fact that so many have negative things to say about the Monarch is an issue that shouldn't be taken lightly. I still wonder what is going on. It sounds like the cruise line is waiting to address some of these issues in January, when the ship goes into dry dock. I didn't realize this was coming up.

Like I said before, we are past the "point of no return" and will make the best of it next month. It's a little discouraging.

No one listens when I say it is going into drydock in January and it is for good reason. It will be in drydock for 2 weeks. It is in desperate need of it!!!

I believe you! I'm not sure what you mean, though.

Put yourself in my position - we're taking our family on the cruise over Thanksgiving. I just wanted to get some feedback, which is what I got - some good and some bad. Now I will forward your comments to family members, so they have a better idea of what to expect.

The comments here translate into not having high expectations. They tell me that we may have to make due with what we get! Not having to cook or entertain was my goal. Because all of us have done this cruise before, we already know to what to expect as far as the ship is concerned.

But last year we didn't have to conted with sewer smells. Those of you who did, on what floor were your cabins and in what location (mid-ship, aft or forward)? That info would be most helpful.

Thank you.

I did not intend for my post to come off as negative but looking back at it I can see how it could be considered a bit negative. Yes the ship is a bit worn and yes a sewer smell has been an issue. There have been many posts regarding the smell many who have smelled it and many who have not. We enjoyed our 3 dayer and will be doing it again in Nov. so I guess it was not so bad. Approach the cruise with a positive outlook and I am sure it will be fine. Also we were on deck 6 mid ship.

The only smell I have encountered on Monarch of the Seas is when the ship is in Ensanada. Mysteriously the smell goes away when she leaves port. Just kidding. I have not had any problem with the condition of the ship. I am also sailing on her in November and I have no hesitation in doing so. I will also be on her in February so I will see if there really are any improvements made in dry dock.

We have done this holiday cruise two times already, and everyone had a great time - no bad odors, great serice and decent food.

We know the Monarch is an older ship and to expect some negative comments. But I see more bad comments now than before; and I have to say, I don't think I could handle being in a room that smells of sewer for very long. Hopefully, this won't be an issue for us. All of our oceanview cabins are midship on the lowest passenger deck.

Sailfish, on my visits to the ship it has mainly been while she was in the middle of her cruise and during her port call in San Diego so the ship was not at all freshly cleaned and waiting for a new group of passengers. I have also visited her on turn around in LA and had total access (on my own) to all of the public areas and again had no problems.

I disagree with FitzLA in his opinion that the ship is not in good shape.. yes some of the carpet can use replacing but overall the ship is in great shape considering the beating she takes on these sold out short cruises.

I just had the Corporate Management Staff from the Radisson Hotel in LaJolla onboard for a ship tour and lunch and they were so pleased with the Monarch they've booked their annual Holiday party onboard the ship departing on 12/16/05. If the management of a hotel with high standards was pleased , you shouldn't worry.

I will go with my extended family - I wont' have to cook, and I can enjoy everyone's company. That alone is worth it.

I'll post a review when I return. Does anyone know if Ramon, the classical guitarist is still on the ship? He was our favorite entertainer.

Just got off the Monarch on October 15th. The only problem was a obvious smell of sulfer. I wouldn't call it a sewer smell. It's like being at YellowStone park. It wasn't therre all the time, but enough to be bothersome. Other than that the cruise was wonderful! The service was great! The food was Great! We had a wonderful time.

Just got off the Monarch yesterday. We spoke with the Captain about the dry dock coming up and he said that most of what will be done are items that we won't be able to see. (Hull maintenance, etc.) He said that there will be some items done around the pool also. He did not mention anything else that was being done.

This was the 3rd time we've sailed on the Monarch - the food was pretty good and the service we received in the dining room was really good. Our entire family of 18 was pleased with the cruise in general.

We never noticed any sewer odor in any area of the ship on this trip - or any other time we've cruised on the Monarch - guess we've been lucky.

Archived