Pinnacle for non-steak lovers - Is it worth the $?

Joanandjoe

Even after my bad experiences in the PG, I would still recommend giving it a try. $20 isn't THAT much to waste if you have a bad meal, and over the course of a cruise it's probably okay to miss one main dining room dinner anyway. And you may have one of the wonderful experiences that some people have had, making it well worth the gamble.

At least that's my philosophy for my upcoming cruise. If the PG is a total letdown again, we'll likely never try it again.

Guest Celestia

After experiencing the downright nastiness of the Maitre'd at the Pinnacle, may I suggest spending that $40 elsewhere.

IME the food and service in the dining room far outshines that of the extra-fee restaurant at this time.

From all I've heard about the former Marco Polo restaurant, I'd give that a try. Truly good Italian food beats any steak, any steakhouse, any time in my book!

FW&FS,

Celestia

I have experienced the PG on the Zuiderdam many times, and have had different levels of service each time, while the quality and presentation of the meal was consistently outstanding. The Manager is the key man (Peter Bohacs was, in our experience, one of the best) because it takes a special kind of management skill to coordinate servers from different cultures, speaking different languages, each bringing their own idea of exceptional service to the mix.

I have also found that the dinners seem to be timed as if the diners were enjoying the accompanying wines. That is, more time is allowed between courses to savor the various wines. If you are not drinking, you just have to wait.

One thing I don't understand (it was explained to me once in unintelligible broken english, so I dropped the subject) is why they say the PG is fully booked, but when I am seated, half the tables remain empty for the next two hours. I know there is a problem with the vouchers for free dinners given as perks by travel agents - the guests make reservations and don't show up if there's something better to do. That's a shame for those of us who truly want to dine there.

As for the seafood - the Planked Shrimp and Planked Halibut have always been divine. I usually have one of those one day and the Petit Filet the next. For me, the Chocolate Grand Marnier Volcano Cake has always been consistent... cakey outside and gooey inside, and always available. The Triple Creme Brulee is an excellent alternative.

Candy <-- after 6 Zuidys, we might have to switch to Princess for the summer :mad:

Archived