Need some encouragement

exarkkun

Guys, it's so close and feels so far away. Husband and I are 85 days out from our Triumph cruise and final payment is due August 2nd. However, our very first house payment ever is due August 1st. (See, we just bought our first house). Frankly, I don't know how we are going to make it. Our water heater and dishwasher both went out and had to be replaced. We had a million little things that had to be fixed or replaced. I'm working 110 hour pay periods to pay for this, he is working over 90 hours a pay period. I'm sure some way or another we will get it paid off, I just am too exhausted to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Thanks for listening, and apologies for the whining.

Carnival may give you a few more days if you need it.

Just give them a call...

Can't hurt to ask.

I always feel better when I put my budget down on paper. List items to pay and mark them off as they get done. It will help you to have a plan.

Can you have a yardsale for extra money? Even if you only make a couple of hundred dollars it could help with some of the extra expenses.

Sounds like you two are working really hard....that will make your vacation that much sweeter!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I hate to be a "Debbie Downer", but I agree with disneylover89, perhaps you should skip the cruise for this year. If you are worrying about making the final payment, that tells me that your reserve funds have been exhausted. What if you have another household emergency? I don't think I would enjoy a vacation if it caused such a financial burden :(

Guys, it's so close and feels so far away. Husband and I are 85 days out from our Triumph cruise and final payment is due August 2nd. However, our very first house payment ever is due August 1st. (See, we just bought our first house). Frankly, I don't know how we are going to make it. Our water heater and dishwasher both went out and had to be replaced. We had a million little things that had to be fixed or replaced. I'm working 110 hour pay periods to pay for this, he is working over 90 hours a pay period. I'm sure some way or another we will get it paid off, I just am too exhausted to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

You're feeling discouraged because you're so tired from working so many hours. Put it in perspective. You've crossed a major life event hurdle this year by buying your very first house! Congratulations! That's a big accomplishment in itself. So happy for you!

Your cruise will be that much sweeter when you get onboard and can just relax and enjoy the fruits of your labor. Hang in there--Triumph time will be here before you know it. Hard work DOES pay off. Kudos to you and hubby for working hard for what you want!

Hate to say it, but maybe cancelling the cruise for now, might be the best answer. I believe you might lose some money, but postponing it for a while os so might b a better choice.

Cruises are great, but if money issues are a problem, the stress of that will not be very relaxing.

I commend you for the house purchase. That is great and very rewarding. As stated above, priorities takes precedent.

Edited by HawkIVette

I would cancel or at least delay the cruise. Take the down payment you have on your October 2016 cruise and transfer it to an April 2017 cruise. I just did that recently with a March 2017 cruise. I took the down payment on that and transferred it to a December 2017 cruise.

There are only 168 hours in a week. If you are working 110 hours and sleeping 8 hours per day or 56 hours per week, then you are already up to 166 hours, leaving you with 2 hours per week. Even if you took two full time jobs you would only be working 80 hours per week.

Personally I don't think a cruise is worth the sacrifice you are making.

I hope you make it! Everyone's priorities are different, but I'm sure you will find a way to do what's best!

There are certainly different opinions on the matter, but this is why I like to pay the cruise off as quick as possible. We were paid off 7 months ahead. That $$ is out of my mind and I know I don't have any more financial commitments to the vacation.

There has been some good advice given. I am torn between go because you need/earned it and cancel because it is not the right time. I think the best advice given was transfer the deposit to a cruise in the future..

Sounds to me like you won't be cruising this year. Priorities first. I would cancel the cruise.

Yep, I agree. Cruising is an expensive endeavor. When you add all the little things in on the S&S card it's quite the shocker especially to newbies. Don't get yourself heavily into debt, as it will take forever to pay off and you won't be taking a vacation for a very long time. That isn't living, that's slavery.

I don't know what your financial situation looks like. If you have debt/are living paycheck to paycheck it would be better off to postpone. However, if it's just that you are "stretching" a little bit too far this one time, I'd recommend finding a way to create some extra funds.

Last year we ran into some house issues and needed a little extra cash. Since then I started selling some stuff around the house that we don't really want or need, movies we've already watched, books we won't read again (can get those at the library), excess furniture, electronics that aren't being used, dishes you no longer use, etc. I'm not saying that you should sell all of your possessions, just pick and choose what is more important to you. The benefit is at the end, you will probably have a clean house lol

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thanks for the replies. I'm happy to report since canceling the cruise was not an option, I called Carnival and they did grant me an extension to the following Friday, the next payday. That means we can make both the house and final payment, AND start putting some back into savings! We are so relieved!

However, if it's just that you are "stretching" a little bit too far this one time, I'd recommend finding a way to create some extra funds.

Maybe the two of them could put some extra time in at work. :rolleyes:

Edited by Cuizer2

OP: Sorry about your predicament.

My suggestion: Cancel the cruise. Get the deposit back and use it to help you get your finances straightened out. If you're booked under Early Saver, your deposit will be saved for you to use at a later time minus $50.

The good news is that canceling your cruise doesn't mean that you won't be going at all. As we get closer to sailing date, see where your finances are, and if you feel that you are in an acceptable position to take your cruise, you can always make a new booking up until the last minute (assuming that cabins are still available).

You will be sailing in the dead of hurricane season, which means that most likely prices won't be increasing drastically and there should still be availability closer to departure.

I know from experience that it's a sickening feeling when a cruise has to be canceled, but it's a less sickening feeling than finding myself buried in debt that I could've avoided.

Thanks for the replies. I'm happy to report since canceling the cruise was not an option, I called Carnival and they did grant me an extension to the following Friday, the next payday!

I see that you replied while I was typing. Glad that you could work something out! Welcome to homeownership! And enjoy your cruise! [emoji3]

Edited by Tapi

Thanks for the replies. I'm happy to report since canceling the cruise was not an option, I called Carnival and they did grant me an extension to the following Friday, the next payday. That means we can make both the house and final payment, AND start putting some back into savings! We are so relieved!

Do you have a printed confirmation of this change? Check your booking at original due date to be sure the computer doesn't cancel your cruise without you being notified.

That's awesome news! I'm so glad you were able to get it worked out. Enjoy your new home and your well deserved vacation!

Congratulations on the new house! You're not alone. We've cancelled two cruises. Our very first booking because we needed a new furnace after we bought the house (can't even remember what line or itinerary that was), then what was supposed to be our kids first cruise because DH lost his job. It gets easier, but there is sometimes something more important that comes up. For most of us traveling is a luxury and we don't have unlimited funds. We try to make it a priority - family vacations are REALLY important to us. But, stuff happens.

Edited by E&B

That is GREAT!!! So happy for you. Yes, do make sure you have a printed confirmation of the extension. Stranger things have happened.

As far as your cruise, don't know if you already have excursions booked or cheers package bought, but these things you don't really need. cruise can be a very inexpensive thing. Self guided tours walking around the port, many things already included in your cruise (shows on board, activities, drinks like tea, lemonade, etc are free) and don't forget the unlimited FREE ice cream.

Hope you have a lot of fun and enjoy yourself. And again, welcome to home ownership.

You should go on the cruise and don't leave. Who needs a house to go back to:) Then again Triumph is probably not the ship to move to.:D

People on the boards often poo poo the idea of making monthly (or thereabouts) payments to pay down a cruise. THIS is why we do so. If we book a year out, and the fare is (say) $1,200 per person (all in) we pay $100 (per person) a month and by god it's paid for with little to no fanfare.

I'm sorry, OP, but you need to cancel the cruise. There's a thing in life called priority, and house payment is yours...not a cruise.

No, priorities have always been straight. And we are not taking excursions nor have we booked any packages. We are watching our finances closely and are keeping the costs absolutely minimum. The payment will be made, we are going, and we are going to enjoy it. This is the last vacation we can take until 2019 so it will have to be everything we can hope for. Thank you all, and as I leave my shiny new house, I know it's all worth it. I'll sleep on the cruise :)

No, priorities have always been straight. And we are not taking excursions nor have we booked any packages. We are watching our finances closely and are keeping the costs absolutely minimum. The payment will be made, we are going, and we are going to enjoy it. This is the last vacation we can take until 2019 so it will have to be everything we can hope for. Thank you all, and as I leave my shiny new house, I know it's all worth it. I'll sleep on the cruise :)

Good for you! I am glad they gave you the extension...I thought they would.

I hope you enjoy your cruise!! You deserve it!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Congratulations ... on the extension AND the new house !!! :D