June '16 Valor - 8 day Southern Caribbean Review - with pictures

missync

• 2 weeks later...

This is awesome. I'm going on the Valor in 2 1/2 weeks. Hoping you get to post more. I'm interested in your pics of Grand Turk and of course the rest of the food! I hope it hasn't changed too much with the new American Table. Did you ever do brunch in the MDR?

• 2 months later...

Enjoying your review! I'm planning this same itinerary just in different order for our next cruise. Couple of questions..did you have to pay to use the beach in Aruba? How long was sea trek dive and how much to rent car in curaçao? Could you have taken a taxi instead?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Enjoying your review! I'm planning this same itinerary just in different order for our next cruise. Couple of questions..did you have to pay to use the beach in Aruba? How long was sea trek dive and how much to rent car in curaçao? Could you have taken a taxi instead?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We took a "tour" to the aruba beach. He was a random tour guide we found just outside the pier. He had a nice little bus and charged $7 a person. He also came back at the time we requested. Really good guy and was very convenient. Definitely haggle a bit but they won't change a whole lot.

Sea Trek Dive was about 45 minutes in the water plus a safety briefing and such before. Total it took about 2 hours or so. It was AMAZING! I'd love to do it again. Car rental was cheap. $27/day from Avis. Look around a little because the Mega Pier rates may not be as cheap as the Howard Johnson rates and the HJ is only about a 10 minute walk away. We were able to return the cars to the pier even! They only have manual (stick shift) vehicles there though so be prepared...

Taxi to the Sea Trek would have been easier but probably a lot more expensive. It was a good 10 miles or more though it took us MUCH longer because the maps sucked lol

depending on how many people you have, car would probably be cheaper but get a good map or have GPS

dinner menu

IMG_0997_zpsxfzdi6h0.jpg

Grilled Tiger Shrimp - VERY GOOD - not mine but she LOVED IT! said mustard potatoes weren't very mustardy

IMG_1011_zpshrn18k0u.jpg

spanakopita - AMAZING!!! I really really enjoyed this one. The spanakopita was flaky and delicious and the stuffed pepper was amazing. Could have added more feta but otherwise one of my favorites!

IMG_1012_zpsftmk8suh.jpg

Chateaubriand - not mine - Very good! My brother really enjoyed it. Said it wasn't a filling portion but he thought it was excellent

IMG_1013_zpsebkiuvce.jpg

We took a "tour" to the aruba beach. He was a random tour guide we found just outside the pier. He had a nice little bus and charged $7 a person. He also came back at the time we requested. Really good guy and was very convenient. Definitely haggle a bit but they won't change a whole lot.

Sea Trek Dive was about 45 minutes in the water plus a safety briefing and such before. Total it took about 2 hours or so. It was AMAZING! I'd love to do it again. Car rental was cheap. $27/day from Avis. Look around a little because the Mega Pier rates may not be as cheap as the Howard Johnson rates and the HJ is only about a 10 minute walk away. We were able to return the cars to the pier even! They only have manual (stick shift) vehicles there though so be prepared...

Taxi to the Sea Trek would have been easier but probably a lot more expensive. It was a good 10 miles or more though it took us MUCH longer because the maps sucked lol

depending on how many people you have, car would probably be cheaper but get a good map or have GPS

Thank you for the helpful info. Getting lost is half the fun [emoji6]. The Sea Trek Dive does look super fun and we seriously considering it.

Carnival Glory - Western Caribbean June 2016

dessert menu

IMG_1014_zpsdsxjb26p.jpg

amaretto cake - Very good! light and moist. good flavor and not too sweet

IMG_1017_zps0ls3p7wh.jpg

cheesecake - not mine - said it was good but nothing to write home about. typical cheesecake

IMG_1019_zpsfszmjyxp.jpg

baked alaska - good. it was not as good as others i've had but I enjoyed it. sweet but not too sweet. meringue could have been better.

IMG_1018_zpscscgvxay.jpg

app menu

IMG_1070_zpskzgloi1p.jpg

tomatoes - not mine - i'm told it was very good but tomatoes weren't as ripe as she would have liked

IMG_1073_zps54au9toz.jpg

no idea what this is. Maybe the spring mix salad?? just figured i'd share the picture anyways lol

IMG_1072_zps2dbxhboy.jpg

dinner menu

IMG_1071_zpsdbzav8ru.jpg

filet mignon - Very good! cooked well and nicely prepared. my dad, who ordered steak just about every night, LOVED it as well.

IMG_1074_zpswubgu7uz.jpg

cinnamon pumpkin, squash, yam, and cheddar pie - interesting. not as much flavor as i was hoping for. crust was amazing but the rest of the dish just didn't have a lot of flavor

IMG_1075_zpsfeqz5krt.jpg

lasagna - not mine but i tasted it. it was good but could have used more meat. honestly probably like Olive Garden's better but it had a good flavor.

IMG_1078_zpsb6p5htra.jpg

turkey - I'm told it was good. The stuffing was not my mom's favorite but she enjoyed the rest. I tasted it...NOT as good as she makes

IMG_1076_zps5n4ytdjp.jpg

shrimp - good but not filling. nothing out of the ordinary but my nephew liked it (he has fancy tastes but wanted something he "knew")

IMG_1077_zpsdh36kw5q.jpg

IMG_1079_zps9mowmg8j.jpg

chocolate cake - very good. very sweet but tasty. definitely would order again

IMG_1080_zpshbc9kvht.jpg

apple pie - had been told it wasn't great but was happily surprised! very much enjoyed it. tasted homemade. crust could use some work as it wasn't flaky like I like but the filling was good and it was very tasty.

IMG_1081_zpshvfxlzex.jpg

IMG_1082_zpskr4dw8xk.jpg

Thank you for the helpful info. Getting lost is half the fun [emoji6]. The Sea Trek Dive does look super fun and we seriously considering it.

Carnival Glory - Western Caribbean June 2016

talk to the guys there. they responded very quickly to email and were very helpful. it made for an interesting trip but the roads aren't marked well (or at all) and the maps we got were practically worthless. we had fun though!!

can't wait to hear how it went!

• 3 weeks later...

app menu

IMG_1084_zpsvupxurni.jpg

frog legs - not mine - actually my 17 year old nephew ate these. He really liked them. said they tasted like chicken lol. Decent flavor but just very little meat.

IMG_1089_zps86wcrlcf.jpg

mango cream soup - this is how it starts and the next picture is the finished product

IMG_1090_zpsrxbq80vt.jpg

mango cream soup - very good!! I really liked this one. nice and creamy with a good flavor. not a filling appetizer but nice and light.

IMG_1091_zps5iyyzdc6.jpg

crab cake - very good. had a really nice taste to it. nothing special about it but it was a very good crab cake

IMG_1086_zpsv58qurk9.jpg

grilled mushroom - not mine - I'm told it was delicious. said the flavor was excellent but could have used a little more "something"...she didn't know what that something was though lol

IMG_1087_zpsckuhc5kr.jpg

dinner menu

IMG_1085_zpsszsd4yns.jpg

mac and cheese - very good! nice and creamy and the bacon just adds something. it comes with chicken but I had them leave that off so I can't tell you how that was. I really liked this meal though!

IMG_1092_zpsnxwsnoij.jpg

mahi mahi - excellent. very light and flaky but not too fishy. well prepared. definitely one of my favorites.

IMG_1094_zpsucrpexfk.jpg

prime rib - not mine - my uncle really enjoyed it. said it was cooked the way he liked it (you can ask for however you want it) and that it had a great flavor

IMG_1093_zpsde3uttpo.jpg

menu

IMG_1095_zpsyejczq4e.jpg

apple pie - very good. similar to the previous apple pie but still very tasty.

IMG_1101_zpscrykhe4g.jpg

grand marnier souffle - AMAZING!! This is always a favorite of mine. Nice and light but such a great flavor that isn't too sweet.

IMG_1103_zpsvujhzrki.jpg

My brother and his wife were celebrating their 20th anniversary on the cruise and the staff brought them this to celebrate. The staff all crowded around to watch them take a bite. It was really cute. The "cake", if you can call it that, was VERRRRRY sweet. It was more of a thick mousse or fudge inside but it was good. just so sweet. It was the thought that counts and my brother and sister in law were surprised and happy.

IMG_1109_zpsdgbyaxb1.jpg

My brother and his wife were celebrating their 20th anniversary on the cruise and the staff brought them this to celebrate. The staff all crowded around to watch them take a bite. It was really cute. The "cake", if you can call it that, was VERRRRRY sweet. It was more of a thick mousse or fudge inside but it was good. just so sweet. It was the thought that counts and my brother and sister in law were surprised and happy.

IMG_1109_zpsdgbyaxb1.jpg

We always look forward to this kind of attention when celebrating special occasions onboard. The "symbolic' cake becomes priceless.