Cruise Music Mix Suggestions? Anyone?

skemp23

• 5 weeks later...

A little more obscure pair to add here...

"We're Here for a Good Time, Not a Long Time" - Trooper (80's hair band)

"D'yer Maker" (actually pronounced Jamaica according to Robert Plant) - Led Zeppelin.

• 1 month later...

Since you are going around Christmas Jimmy Buffet has a Christmas CD with great songs and I just downloaded from Walmart the Jimmy Buffett song Christmas in the Caribbean. Also I just heard and am going to download "All I Want For Christmas" by Kenny Chesney - it goes on to say toes the sand and Caribbean holiday.... Also Feliz Navidad is good since we heard it sung by a Cuban band in a bar in Belize when we went in December a few years ago - it now is a favorite. Debbie

I don't know how this got to be such a popular song played on the cruise ships but "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" by Chariman of the Board is heard often on many ships. And it is a great beach version of the song.

To the question about on line radio stations which play "vacation" songs...the Endless Summer Network plays some really great beach music!

• 3 weeks later...

Exactly what I was looking for!! Before I found this thread, I found one website that wasn't bad, got a few song ideas from there:

http://www.popculturemadness.com/Music/Summer.html

A lot of great tunes on here...Does anyone know of specific steel drum bands bands or songs to search for online, haven't had much luck there...Here's a few others on my list:

Mas Tequilla - Sammy Hagar, must have drinking/party tune

Blister in the Sun - Violent Femmes

Brown Eyed Girl - The Jimmy Buffett / Alan Jackson version

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

But another good summer/cruise band is O.A.R. (Of a Revolution). It's great relaxing, sit by the pool/beach/bar music!

I just watched a special on TV about the history of reggae music made popular by the infamous and great Bob Marley. It was VERY interesting; if you have the chance to go to Jamaica, stop and listen to the local music, chances are they will have CD's and it's a nice break from the commercialized music....OK I'm off my soapbox..:D

Back in 2005 when this thread started a woman suggested to put a song from the Pogues on a cruise CD.....well I'm not sure if you still check these boards or not but it's Beer Week in Philly and I'm going to a bar tonight to drink with the Pogues! Ah I'm so excited! :) (Sorry to hijack)

~Kristina

• 2 months later...

Thanks everyone! This is just what I was looking for! I am putting together a CD for my cruise mates for our next trip and couldn't come up with much off the top of my head. Now it's off to iTunes to spend a little money!

The ones I DID come up with that I didn't see listed here...

It's Five O'Clock Somewhere - Alan Jackson

Longneck Bottle - Garth Brooks

That's Why God Made Mexico - Tim McGraw

Theme Song from Jaws!

This may be going back a little, but Leon Russell's "Back to the Islands" is a good tune. I just burned a cd last night so I could listen to vacation music in the car, you know everything I do is somehow related to cruising these days!:D

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all who posted as well! I love the suggestions, but was surprised to see a few missing...

For those (like myself) who will be departing from a New Orleans port:

"House of the Rising Sun", I have the versions from both Muse, and the Animals.

Then, when you're first departing, two magnificent songs to listen to (and which sound REALLY similar) are:

"Southampton" and "Leaving Port", from the Titanic soundtrack, by James Horner. Perhaps some of you are superstitious and don't want to listen to music from a movie about a sinking cruiseline XD but I'm not :P I just love the music, and I will listen to them when the ship takes off! :)

Oh, and also I wanted to add the remix of a popular song.. "A Little Less Conversation", by Elvis vs JXL.. AWESOME mix.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I don't know how this got to be such a popular song played on the cruise ships but "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" by Chariman of the Board is heard often on many ships. And it is a great beach version of the song.

To the question about on line radio stations which play "vacation" songs...the Endless Summer Network plays some really great beach music!

Seabee,

No Embers, Tams, Drifters, or Catalina...If you're gonna intro Beach Music, at least mention Ripete records....

Port Hueneme ring a bell?