$100 pp cancellation fee - regardless on timing?

dcsam

Is their $100 pp cancellation fee high and is this correct? I know of another cruiseline that charges $25. Just checking. Hopefully, we won't cancel, but the cruise is over 500 days away. So even if we cancelled 100s of days before the cruise date, we're still out $200. Ouch!

To be honest I'm not surprised if this becomes an industry standard as I hear daily about people who book multiple cruises then cancel must cost the lines a fortune in administration and lost opportunity as a cabin, category, even cruise shows as full and OAX go elsewhere.

Many TAs already charge a cancellation fee for exactly this reason.

Is their $100 pp cancellation fee high and is this correct? I know of another cruiseline that charges $25. Just checking. Hopefully, we won't cancel, but the cruise is over 500 days away. So even if we cancelled 100s of days before the cruise date, we're still out $200. Ouch!

If that's Azamara you're thinking of, it went up to $50 pp for voyages beginning 1/2017.

I'm sure I will get in trouble with this answer but since I have already paid a non-refundable fee for trip insurance, I would make a claim against the insurance to cover the loss (especially since I would be cancelling with cause and not because I have multiple cruises booked).

I'm sure I will get in trouble with this answer but since I have already paid a non-refundable fee for trip insurance, I would make a claim against the insurance to cover the loss (especially since I would be cancelling with cause and not because I have multiple cruises booked).

If it's third-party insurance, you might be better off eating the deposit loss and rolling the insurance coverage to another trip.

I use insuremytrip. Any time I've changed my mind and decided to switch dates, ships, etc, I just call them and change it and the payment transfers to the new trip. Then I can increase coverage if necessary if it's a more expensive trip.

• 2 weeks later...
I use insuremytrip. Any time I've changed my mind and decided to switch dates, ships, etc, I just call them and change it and the payment transfers to the new trip. Then I can increase coverage if necessary if it's a more expensive trip.

Trip Insurance Store told me same thing - can transfer payment to new trip, although I think there's a time limit for re-scheduled cruise (maybe within a year)? I've never had to do that, however, so don't know the details.

I've done it more than once...probably 10 times or so (we cruise a lot). I've never come across a limitation as far as time..and I've booked some cruises 2 years in advance then changed. But they can tell you the rules for sure.