SDP vs. UDP on Escape

I'm having trouble understanding what the plans include and where they can be used.

We are sailing on the Escape in October. We have 3 nights of SDP plus 4 nights of UDP plus Platinum latitudes dining certificate.

I don't want to make any reservations for the first night as I'm excited about Miami sailaway at sunset. So that leaves 8 meals for 6 nights.

Can any of these options be used for the Wine Lovers show? Can they be used for a Supper Club show? I read they can be used for Margaritaville. Can anyone confirm? What about Food Republic or Tapas?

I also believe I read they cannot be used for the upcharge main dining room. I think my PCC told me that so I'm pretty sure it's accurate.

I searched for this info but couldn't find anything. So if anyone has a link to point to, please feel free.

Thanks for your help.

I searched for this info but couldn't find anything. So if anyone has a link to point to, please feel free.

Thanks for your help.

NCL's SDP FAQ/T&C clearly list the places where you can use your package and if there is an additional charge in addition to the meal that is used from the package:

https://www.ncl.com/specialty-dining-package/faq

Thank you. That's what I couldn't find.

Can any of these options be used for the Wine Lovers show?

Can they be used for a Supper Club show?

I think I was asked this but, really, I'm 50/50.

I read they can be used for Margaritaville. Can anyone confirm?

Yes, you can use a credit at Margarivaville.

What about Food Republic or Tapas?

Food Republic, NO. Tapas, Yes.

I also believe I read they cannot be used for the upcharge main dining room. I think my PCC told me that so I'm pretty sure it's accurate.

I know someone who did.

Thanks for your help.

Answers inline.

Good luck and Enjoy. You will have an amazing cruise. I loved the Escape!

Thank you.

I'm sad because the "nickel and diming" is really getting to me.

I think Demonyte is going to be correct when it comes to trying to use the dining with Ultimate dining "rules." We generally do two appetizers at Cagney's and La Cucina. Since we are doing two meals there, I'm assuming soups at $5 each will add $40 to our bill. $40, the end of the world? Nope.

When we made the change and the dining got messed up we were charged the service fee on the three nights. $25, the end of the world? Nope.

We had chosen the internet over the beverage. We have brought diet COKE on board in the past. The reports of the internet are bad so IF we have to use it for a couple of minutes, we should just pay out of pocket. We usually have a couple of drinks and if we're in a bar or at a show will buy the Pepsi. So we decided to switch the internet for beverage plan. That adds another $200 to our bill. The amount that we pay for drinks with the addition of more soda probably works out pretty even, BUT we're paying $200 and not getting our beverage of CHOICE. End of the world? Nope.

We are still outside of final payment. I wouldn't even consider cancelling the cruise for one of these issues but adding everything together, I am in fact paying more money for the cruise and getting nothing more for my money. A tiny bit less in not having the beverage I want.

Thank you.

I'm sad because the "nickel and diming" is really getting to me.

I think Demonyte is going to be correct when it comes to trying to use the dining with Ultimate dining "rules." We generally do two appetizers at Cagney's and La Cucina. Since we are doing two meals there, I'm assuming soups at $5 each will add $40 to our bill. $40, the end of the world? Nope.

When we made the change and the dining got messed up we were charged the service fee on the three nights. $25, the end of the world? Nope.

We had chosen the internet over the beverage. We have brought diet COKE on board in the past. The reports of the internet are bad so IF we have to use it for a couple of minutes, we should just pay out of pocket. We usually have a couple of drinks and if we're in a bar or at a show will buy the Pepsi. So we decided to switch the internet for beverage plan. That adds another $200 to our bill. The amount that we pay for drinks with the addition of more soda probably works out pretty even, BUT we're paying $200 and not getting our beverage of CHOICE. End of the world? Nope.

We are still outside of final payment. I wouldn't even consider cancelling the cruise for one of these issues but adding everything together, I am in fact paying more money for the cruise and getting nothing more for my money. A tiny bit less in not having the beverage I want.

I think you might still have some confusion re the SDP. Read those T&Cs posted for you previously carefully. You seem to be thinking there is some restriction on menu items ordered with your 4 meal plan as far as apps and sides. You can order all the apps, sides and desserts you want along with your main entree without incurring any additional charges. You can use it at the dinner show, but it will be $15 upcharge per person. Sushi, $7 upcharge. You can use it at Margaritaville. Food Republic, no, but it's a la carte and small plate so it's possible to eat there very inexpensively. Great food! According to the terms and conditions, you can't use it for upcharge items in the MDR or for the Wine Lovers lunch.

Not sure what you are saying about the beverage plan. Do you not drink alcohol? If not, consider not taking the UBP as a promo and save yourselves the $200 fee (for the 18% gratuity), and then just buy your Pepsi as you go, or purchase a much cheaper Soda package if you think it might be a savings over the individual drinks.

I'm predicting you are going to have a fantastic cruise and all this will be forgotten once you are onboard.

Edited by punkincc

I think you might still have some confusion re the SDP. Read those T&Cs posted for you previously carefully. You seem to be thinking there is some restriction on menu items ordered with your 4 meal plan as far as apps and sides. You can order all the apps, sides and desserts you want along with your main entree without incurring any additional charges. You can use it at the dinner show, but it will be $15 upcharge per person. Sushi, $7 upcharge. You can use it at Margaritaville. Food Republic, no, but it's a la carte and small plate so it's possible to eat there very inexpensively. Great food! According to the terms and conditions, you can't use it for upcharge items in the MDR or for the Wine Lovers lunch.

I'm predicting you are going to have a fantastic cruise and all this will be forgotten once you are onboard.

I have read and reread and I don't think it is specifically spelled out, so can you just answer to the best of your knowledge. And I'm not going to come back yelling if you give me inaccurate info. :) Would we incur an additional cost at Cagney's if we were to each order, soup, sliders, steak, two sides and dessert? I get a stomach ache just thinking of that amount of food.

As far as the beverage package, we have done the soda pkg in the past. We go to the platinum dinner early in the cruise and I have one glass of wine with each dinner until it's gone. Going with the beverage package we'll probably have some fruity drink instead of a Pepsi once sometimes.

I'm sure you're right. We will have a great time, but boy the Sept. 24 of the Disney Fantasy is sure a tempting alternative. :D

Would we incur an additional cost at Cagney's if we were to each order, soup, sliders, steak, two sides and dessert?

No, you shouldn't.

The T&Cs only state that there is an extra charge for additional entrees. General experience is that this is what happen onboard.

However, there have been a number of reports that people have been told that you are also restricted to just one starter and dessert (and if I recall correctly, 2 sides at Cagneys). This doesn't seem to fit in with the T&Cs and some people have reported being able to argue the point.

Therefore, it depends on two things. Firstly, whether the person who serves you tries to use those restrictions, and then whether you want to argue with them if they do.

Overall, from the reports on here, I'd say you are more likely to not be charged, but lately it does seem possible that they will try to charge you for the soup (or starter, whichever is cheaper).

No, you shouldn't.

The T&Cs only state that there is an extra charge for additional entrees. General experience is that this is what happen onboard.

However, there have been a number of reports that people have been told that you are also restricted to just one starter and dessert (and if I recall correctly, 2 sides at Cagneys). This doesn't seem to fit in with the T&Cs and some people have reported being able to argue the point.

Therefore, it depends on two things. Firstly, whether the person who serves you tries to use those restrictions, and then whether you want to argue with them if they do.

Thank you. I thought I was losing my mind about one app and one dessert. And not a chance am I going to argue with anyone on board about it. If I get a bill and there is a charge on it, I MIGHT question it. And that's as far as it would go.

Thank you. I thought I was losing my mind about one app and one dessert. And not a chance am I going to argue with anyone on board about it. If I get a bill and there is a charge on it, I MIGHT question it. And that's as far as it would go.

My experience, with the platinum meal at Le Bistro (which is definitely restricted to just the one starter and dessert) is that they will let you know when you order that the extra one will be charged.

My experience, with the platinum meal at Le Bistro (which is definitely restricted to just the one starter and dessert) is that they will let you know when you order that the extra one will be charged.

Thank you. That is helpful as well. I now know to use the Platinum meal at Le Bistro. It's not my favorite menu and limiting it to one, one, one is really not a problem.

Of course since we are eating at both La Cucina and Cagney's twice I could try actually making decisions and have one, one and one. That way I don't leave with a stomach ache OR spending extra money. :D

I have read and reread and I don't think it is specifically spelled out, so can you just answer to the best of your knowledge. And I'm not going to come back yelling if you give me inaccurate info. :) Would we incur an additional cost at Cagney's if we were to each order, soup, sliders, steak, two sides and dessert? I get a stomach ache just thinking of that amount of food.

As far as the beverage package, we have done the soda pkg in the past. We go to the platinum dinner early in the cruise and I have one glass of wine with each dinner until it's gone. Going with the beverage package we'll probably have some fruity drink instead of a Pepsi once sometimes.

I'm sure you're right. We will have a great time, but boy the Sept. 24 of the Disney Fantasy is sure a tempting alternative. :D

It IS specifically spelled out. If you do not see it noted that you are limited to one app, one side, one dessert or some variation on that, then the restriction does not exist.

On 3 cruises with SDP, I have only had one waiter try to tell us that it was one, one and one. We challenged this immediately, telling her that there was no such restriction on the package we purchased. When she returned from speaking to her manager, she told us we could order whatever we wanted.

There are two menu items, one in a Ocean Blue, Seafood Extravaganza, and Seafood Plateau in the Raw Bar which are not included. If you order that they will waive the $15 and $7 upcharge and just charge you the entree price instead. Upcharges as noted, and excluded venues as noted. Otherwise, no restrictions noted on how many of anything you order except for main entrees, which will incur a charge after the first one in Cagneys and LeBistro.

The Platinum dinner is restricted now, in case you have not sailed since the change. It will be noted on the certificates. One starter, one main, one dessert. You still get the wine. Some have had success bartering for 2 starters and no dessert, etc.