Juneau Mendenhall Glacier Ice Caves Adventure - how strenuous?

csz1984

I'm trying to determine if the ice caves adventure is truly strenuous? Has anyone done it? I like the prospect of doing something active and really exploring a glacier but don't want to do it if it will be too hard to enjoy. My husband and i are in our early 30's and are in fair to decent shape. We don't hike often but enjoy it when we do. Not sure if the warnings are valid or just over cautious?

I'm trying to determine if the ice caves adventure is truly strenuous? Has anyone done it? I like the prospect of doing something active and really exploring a glacier but don't want to do it if it will be too hard to enjoy. My husband and i are in our early 30's and are in fair to decent shape. We don't hike often but enjoy it when we do. Not sure if the warnings are valid or just over cautious?

Is this a walk in or fly in tour?? Is it a trekking tour with Northstar Trekking level 3?

A new this year tour sounded very appealing to me is a kayak across the lake to trail to caves. Haven't been on it. 3-4 mile paddle vs 10 mile hike (round trip). Make sure to do some research on which one you are looking at.

Here is more info.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2363461

The first few posts talk about the paddle to caves. One post said the hike was hard was the 10 mile walk.

Sounds similar to Above & Beyond Alaska's Glacier Paddle & Trek: http://beyondak.com/trips/glacier-paddle-trek/ However, the one you are looking at says "1 hour glacier hike and ice caves exploration" - but that includes the time to walk to and from the glacier. I think if this excursion is really only 5 hours (vs. 6.5 hours with Above & Beyond Alaska) - you will be shortchanging yourself on the glacier hike.

Why are you looking at booking agents?? Something I never recommend in Alaska. Go direct to the vendors, and get your accurate information first hand.

IF you are getting glacier access, it is going to have to be a fly in, walk in. A walk in does require fitness.

This particular canoe trip is new, and I'll speculate it is done by Above and Beyond? Not likely to have 2 vendors doing this very specific, new tour. They are a well established , well run company. Having direct contact with them, is the best advice.

Edited by Budget Queen

Why are you looking at booking agents?? Something I never recommend in Alaska. Go direct to the vendors, and get your accurate information first hand.

IF you are getting glacier access, it is going to have to be a fly in, walk in. A walk in does require fitness.

This particular canoe trip is new, and I'll speculate it is done by Above and Beyond? Not likely to have 2 vendors doing this very specific, new tour. They are a well established , well run company. Having direct contact with them, is the best advice.

Above & Beyond's tour is 6.5 hours, and not 5 hours - like the one offered by this booking site.

Not sure how strenuous it will be - but based on this post I looked it up and wound up changing our previously booked Juneau excursion to this one!! Looking forward to it!

I hope you booked the tour with Above & Beyond - rather than with the Alaska Shore Excursions company.

Someone posted a review on one of the threads here of that tour. She said it was extremely strenuous and requires one to be in excellent shape.

Here are the Trip Advisor reviews for Above & Beyond Alaska: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g31020-d1118688-Reviews-Above_Beyond_Alaska-Juneau_Alaska.html Their 7.5-hour Mendenhall Glacier Trek is the most strenuous, and the company rates it "challenging." The Glacier Lake Paddle (kayak) and Glacier Paddle (canoe) & Trek are rated "moderate" by the company. However, what is moderate for a fit person may be very challenging for a less-fit person. If in doubt, call or email the company to discuss the tours.

I hope you booked the tour with Above & Beyond - rather than with the Alaska Shore Excursions company.

As I stated, I doubt there are 2 vendors and 2 different tours. Could be a listing error?

the booking agent list- doesn't include any transfer there and back? (which adds an hour)

It did look to me like it was two separate tours:

Alaska Shore Excursions - $289

Duration: 5 hours. Tour times below are approximate:

30 minutes transport to glacier launch site

30 minutes equipment and safety briefing

1 hour lake canoe paddle

1 hour glacier hike and ice caves exploration

1 hour lake canoe paddle

30 minutes gear unload and snack break

30 minutes transport to cruise ship terminal

Above and Beyond Alaska - $299

Sample Itinerary 6.5 hours:

30 minutes – Van Transport

45 minutes – Gear Outfitting & Safety Briefing

1 hour and 15 minutes – Guided paddle on Mendenhall Lake

2 hours – Hiking to edge of Glacier, Trekking and Ice Cave Exploration (if safe to access)

1 hour and 15 minutes – Guided Paddle on Mendenhall Lake

45 minutes – Return Van Transport to Drop Off Locations

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really in a bind on which providers to take. Of course I prefer Above and Beyond as they are doing it for so long already but their excursion is too early at 2:30pm as Solstice arrives in Juneau at 1:30pm and still have to tender. And I am coming from Allen Marine boat excursion so that will make it tighter.

Alaska Shore Excursions is actually Liquid Alaska Tours, it seems to be a fairly new company but so far all of their TripAdvisor 12 reviews are rated 5 stars

https://www.tripadvisor.com.ph/Attraction_Review-g31020-d10342096-Reviews-Liquid_Alaska_Tours-Juneau_Alaska.html

They have a tour at 3:30pm so this gives me more allowance coming from Allen Marine boat tour and I can even eat a short lunch at the ship.

But I feel shortchanged that their tour is only 5 hours vs 6.5 hours of Above and Beyond for almost the same price.

Anyone has actual experience taking it with Alaska Shore Excursions?

I'm really in a bind on which providers to take. Of course I prefer Above and Beyond as they are doing it for so long already but their excursion is too early at 2:30pm as Solstice arrives in Juneau at 1:30pm and still have to tender. And I am coming from Allen Marine boat excursion so that will make it tighter.

Alaska Shore Excursions is actually Liquid Alaska Tours, it seems to be a fairly new company but so far all of their TripAdvisor 12 reviews are rated 5 stars

https://www.tripadvisor.com.ph/Attraction_Review-g31020-d10342096-Reviews-Liquid_Alaska_Tours-Juneau_Alaska.html

They have a tour at 3:30pm so this gives me more allowance coming from Allen Marine boat tour and I can even eat a short lunch at the ship.

But I feel shortchanged that their tour is only 5 hours vs 6.5 hours of Above and Beyond for almost the same price.

Anyone has actual experience taking it with Alaska Shore Excursions?

You are definitely being shortchanged with only 1 hour allotted for the glacier hike and ice caves exploration: http://www.mendenhallicecaves.com/#tour-info I would email or call Above and Beyond and ask if you have enough time to make their 2:30 tour.

This is what one reviewer said about this tour on Trip Advisor: "The hike itself was mostly on a rocky hillside, not on the glacier itself. We split into two groups to go into the ice caves and just spent a few minutes inside of them." https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g31020-d10342096-r396907074-Liquid_Alaska_Tours-Juneau_Alaska.html#REVIEWS

Edited by NancyIL

You are definitely being shortchanged with only 1 hour allotted for the glacier hike and ice caves exploration: http://www.mendenhallicecaves.com/#tour-info I would email or call Above and Beyond and ask if you have enough time to make their 2:30 tour.

This is what one reviewer said about this tour on Trip Advisor: "The hike itself was mostly on a rocky hillside, not on the glacier itself. We split into two groups to go into the ice caves and just spent a few minutes inside of them." https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g31020-d10342096-r396907074-Liquid_Alaska_Tours-Juneau_Alaska.html#REVIEWS

Yeah, I've been in contact with Above and Beyond for days already and they won't wait for me in case I am late as their tour duration is until Solstice all aboard time. So in case Allen Marine gets delayed or I got delayed in the tenders. There will be no refund.

I will normally book ABAK without 2nd thoughts as they are very reputable, doing this for more than 10 years, better value for money due to longer excursion, and I already have communicated with this company since 2014 but didn't go to the ice cave as it collapsed that year.

But the time is tight, and there is a an option for a later tour at less risk of not making it at 3:30pm but shorter and felt being shortchanged.

That is why I am still undecided.

But what intrigues me is this shorter has been getting 5 stars consistently in all 12 reviews made all last month.

There must be something that satisfied the guests... perhaps it is a smaller group? Perhaps the current guides are really good and entertaining or efficient? On smaller tours and better guides, in my experience, can make up for the shorter duration even at premium price.

Here is the video of their tour

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSNqjPxCR38

So hopefully there is someone here who actually have taken Liquid Alaska tour to shed light and give more information on this based on their experience.

And again as of now, I am still undecided. As there are some risks involved in not making the tour at 2:30PM.

Yeah, I've been in contact with Above and Beyond for days already and they won't wait for me in case I am late as their tour duration is until Solstice all aboard time. So in case Allen Marine gets delayed or I got delayed in the tenders. There will be no refund.

I will normally book ABAK without 2nd thoughts as they are very reputable, doing this for more than 10 years, better value for money due to longer excursion, and I already have communicated with this company since 2014 but didn't go to the ice cave as it collapsed that year.

But the time is tight, and there is a an option for a later tour at less risk of not making it at 3:30pm but shorter and felt being shortchanged.

That is why I am still undecided.

But what intrigues me is this shorter has been getting 5 stars consistently in all 12 reviews made all last month.

There must be something that satisfied the guests... perhaps it is a smaller group? Perhaps the current guides are really good and entertaining or efficient? On smaller tours and better guides, in my experience, can make up for the shorter duration even at premium price.

Here is the video of their tour

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSNqjPxCR38

So hopefully there is someone here who actually have taken Liquid Alaska tour to shed light and give more information on this based on their experience.

And again as of now, I am still undecided. As there are some risks involved in not making the tour at 2:30PM.

There are now 13 reviews on Trip Advisor, but that's not very many. The company must be doing an excellent job to get the 5-star reviews. However, you can't miss what you haven't experienced, so the folks on Liquid Alaska's tour likely haven't been on a tour that spends twice as much time on the glacier for a comparison.

Like you, I'd be concerned about missing the ABAK tour and losing my money if I arrived late into port. Good luck with your decision!

There are now 13 reviews on Trip Advisor, but that's not very many. The company must be doing an excellent job to get the 5-star reviews. However, you can't miss what you haven't experienced, so the folks on Liquid Alaska's tour likely haven't been on a tour that spends twice as much time on the glacier for a comparison.

Like you, I'd be concerned about missing the ABAK tour and losing my money if I arrived late into port. Good luck with your decision!

From what I read in the recent reviews, might be the tour guides assigned on this tour are really entertaining and good as the reviewers kept on mentioning their names.

Same case when I took that Ultimate Santorini tour, even if the tour is shorter and pricier than others, the guide was really good and I am very satisfied and the money is well spent even if it is short and pricey.

Yeah, hate it when we are tending and booking an independent excursion. My experience is it is really better to book the ship's excursion on tender ports.

But unfortunately, both are not offered by our ship.

One thing going for the shorter tour, given all the experts are saying that going to ice caves and walking on this glaciers is risky and not many tour operators are willing to bring guests there except these 2 given the risk....

As a cave already collapsed in July 2014 and there are already fatalities in other 2 ice caves in the US..

You mitigate risks by spending shorter time in it.. just enough to take some great pictures.

Edited by roquejo