NCL Pearl- June 26, 2016- The Suite Life

jimsig

Thanks so much Jim! I am sharing info from your review with my group of 27. I am the only one on Cruise Critic. LOL. We sail on 08/28! No suite for us but I know we will have a great time in our balcony!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thank you so much. You will have a great time no matter the cabin. I know we would also would have had just as great of a time if we didn't upsell and stayed with the mini-suite. A friend is cruising Alaska w Princess the same week you are.

Day 9- Sat July 2 At Sea- Victoria B.C. Part 1

We had hoped to sleep a little later but DD had to be at the splash Academy at 9a so that she could take part in the Circus later that day. Because of that today we really got “room service” and had Lazaro deliver breakfast.

8A892DAE-B333-44CC-B81B-4D4D14470E73_zpsqnu0vav8.jpg

Room Service

DW had hers and then went to wait in line, I got DD up a bit later and she enjoyed room service as she got ready for the day. We had already begun to see land as we were once again cruising west of Vancouver Island

CIMG3147_zpsojg6teg1.jpg

After checking her into the kids club we both went back to the cabin where I promptly fell back to sleep for about an hour, a busy week was catching up to me. We picked DD up from the kids club and she was still very excited to be in the circus later in the afternoon. We once again ate lunch at Moderno and this time I had the French Dip without fries. We had a little time to kill before getting DD back to the Kids Club so we walked the ship.

The Fruhschoppen Bavarian Buffet was going on at this time on the Pool Deck. It included the pig along with fresh breads and carved fruit.

CIMG3150_zpsqhvzf4rc.jpg

CIMG3151_zpsfp1opywg.jpg

CIMG3152_zps5zwb7dt5.jpg

CIMG3153_zpse2lhfvwu.jpg

Day 9- Sat July 2 At Sea- Victoria B.C. Part 2

My DD loved sitting in the library and we would make our way there during the week. Today was no exception. After bringing her back to the Kids Club we went to the main desk to ask for a copy of our bill, got a drink at a bar, and walked a little bit more.

It was then time for the show. The kids did great. The youngest group were dressed up like tigers, they had other kids doing all sorts of tricks like juggling scarves and spinning plates. All the kids loved showing off their talents and were very proud of themselves.

3B739176-BA5B-47AF-B855-4C5287554F42_zpsl6anv97s.jpg

CIMG3170_zpssmzgfki4.jpg

After the circus we picked out the pics that we were going to buy and then DD announced she wanted to go swimming again. I took her swimming while DW stayed in the room and started to pack. There were only a few of us in the pool as it was cool but the pool was fine. We also sat in the hot tub as DD had become a fan. As I gave her a 10 min warning that we would have to go back to the room she asked if we could go in the other pool. Well we jumped in only to find out that they must have either cycled some new water in or the heater was broken, it was freezing. We quickly jumped out and went back to the other pool to warm up. We still laugh about how cold that pool was. When we returned to the room we found a surprise towel animal just hanging out. We think Cagy might have left this one for her as she has seen one hanging in one of his rooms he was turning down the night before

89639D0B-6B73-463E-9991-48D7B9E59972_zps9ciafwuk.jpg

BE01E757-A3A7-4239-9244-2A94475E8C8A_zpsm6l7xlee.jpg

Not every day you see people outside the 11th deck

Day 9- Sat July 2 At Sea- Victoria B.C. Part 3

As we were not arriving Victoria until 6p we decided to all have dinner in the Buffet instead of one of the MDR’s. DD did not want to get off the boat as the Kids Club was having a pajama night so we once again dropped her off and we decided that we would go into Victoria and stretch our legs. The cruise ship dock is not in the downtown area so we walked the 20 or so min. The city is beautiful and we saw Parliament and the harbour area. There were flowers everywhere.

CIMG3200_zpsz34w3zno.jpg

CIMG3192_zpsgn7tv8ns.jpg

4DEA87D5-5788-4A9A-8135-6C6C50872E28_zpsb0n8gux0.jpg

We returned to the ship after a short time and continued packing so we could have our bags outside our door by midnight. I got DD from the Kids Club and she was very sad to leave. We all had towel animals that night.

490B5BE8-9E2E-4C34-962B-79ED4F4BAB5E_zpsdzolwsgd.jpg

7E121389-5BF3-48EE-A71E-705CF4A5A77C_zpscj2uwt52.jpg

1BB64C78-F5E8-424C-B8C0-6F6715BD756C_zpsd9tjvuku.jpg

The Zoo

Edited by jimsig

Day 10 and 11- Sun July 3 Mon Jul 4 Seattle Embarkation aka Eviction Day & Flight Home Part 1

As we had already packed and only had a few things left to put in our carry-ons we slept as late as we could. Of course I got up early but was able to fall back asleep.

4E253A2F-7369-466A-9457-834A14AEC8C8_zpsgsxfdf4n.jpg

When you are this big the gas station comes to you

After we woke and got ready we went to Moderno’s for out last breakfast. On our way there we saw Cagy once again and he stopped what he was doing to see us and we talked for a few minutes. He told us he was going home for 2 months in a few weeks time and was very excited. When we arrived there were only a couple people in there and they were finishing up. We ordered breakfast and DW got the pancakes while DD and I got the waffles, I’m still wishing I had ordered the french toast. After she seated us Melba stayed for a few minutes and told DD she would miss her and Moo and DD gave her a big hug. Reah wasn’t even our waitress that morning but she came over to say good bye, though they never say good bye but see you later. It was almost 930 so I went back to the room, saw Lazaro, and gave him his tip, and grabbed our bags. We met Suzana in the Stardust Theater entrance and tipped her. She then walked us to the exit where for the last time we would have our cards swiped as we left the ship. She gave all of us hugs and gave told us she would see us again. I like how they don’t say good bye on NCL. As we exited we could see the line stretch back for those who had not left the ship yet. There was only one family ahead of us in the customs/immigration line and by the time we got to the luggage area there were not that many bags left. Just like that we were back in Seattle.

As our flight home was not until the following morning we checked our bags with the port concierge. They charge $3 a bag I believe, and they will hold your bags until 330p. If you are late they charge you $20 a bag to retrieve them. We headed back up to Pike Place and went to a few shops we had found the previous week. DW loved Metsker Maps and wanted to look there again. As a geography major I think she could have easily spent what we paid for the cruise in that one store. We also wanted to see them throw more fish at the fish market. After that we sat for about 30 min. It felt funny to be sitting on something that was not really moving as for the past 7 days we seemed to be constantly in motion whether on an excursion or even when sitting on the ship underway. We then headed to the waterfront and DD and I rode the Seattle Wheel and walked around the waterfront.

0B7747CD-C7CF-4B2B-88A0-D2D28C1A7FCF_zpsvkft10bu.jpg

CIMG3242_zpsycsnw6vg.jpg

CIMG3216_zpseg1nartc.jpg

F3337FBF-FA28-46F3-9888-C191B87CA9E6_zpsb3gy0rr8.jpg

Edited by jimsig

Day 10 and 11- Sun Jul 3 Mon Jul 4 Seattle Embarkation aka Eviction Day & Flight Home Part 2

We headed to Ivar’s as DD was hungry we ate outside and she loved feeding the seagulls her french fries. We walked through some of the stores and walked around a bit more. It was getting close to 330 so we headed back to the pier to get our luggage, We figured since it was so close to leaving time we would watch the Pearl depart before heading to our hotel.

76853A8B-44A0-44E7-A845-806F121DFDA7_zpshxpglbxk.jpg

DD waving as the Pearl departed

[YOUTUBE]mnZjPaqJiow[/YOUTUBE]

CIMG3253_zpsmxohpwln.jpg

As we watched the ship leave it was hard to believe that it was a week ago that it was us departing on the Pearl.

As we had an early flight we grabbed a cab to our hotel near SeaTac and it was an easy ride out of the city. We stayed right across from the airport at the Crown Plaza. After checking in was dinner time so we took a walk to Sharps RoastHouse. It was very good and would go back. While eating dinner we were reminded that no matter the distance you are never really far from home. They have menus from a number of restaurants around the US and this was hanging above our table.

5340B024-67FB-4415-A4A3-C7D94F54E437_zps3fknnmzv.jpg

It was then back to the hotel as we tried to fall asleep around 7p as we had to be up at 3a for a 530a flight. Getting up was easier than expected especially with a 6yo. The hotel has a 24 hour shuttle that runs every 20 min starting at the top of the hour and we were on the 4a shuttle. We checked our bags with the sky cap hit the Pre-Check line. It took us longer the get the bags checked then it did going through security. We flew back via DEN and had great flights on both legs. We had a 757 from SEA to DEN, and all the entertainment on the seat backs was free including the flight map.

AF7715FE-A371-40C5-B267-A0AE97418F84_zpsvtrqirnv.jpg

I guess they take the PC thing to the extreme in DEN as they were using this cart on July 4th :D

From DEN to BOS we were on another 737-900 but this one did not have seatback TV’s. If you had the United App downloaded on your phone or tablet you could watch the entertainment for free.

The last 90 min of so of the flight were tough as we were anxious to get home after being away for so long. But isn't that the way of every vacation?

Hi Jim! I absolutely loved your review. Thank you for the time you put into writing it! We are traveling next summer to Alaska with our son, who will be (then) about the same age as your daughter. We aren't on the same cruise line (we are booked on Celebrity), but have many of the same port stops. He's a great little traveller, but up until this trip, we've only ever done Disney or Caribbean vacations with him. I was wondering if you could share with me some of the things that your daughter really loved in Alaska? Anything you brought along that was really helpful on the longer excursions & long flights? Any other tips or tricks you think helpful for a fellow parent? Thanks in advance, and thank you again for the great trip report! I'm saving it for future planning!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks and I am so glad you enjoyed my report.

She tells everyone her favorite things were the Kids Club and Ice Cream machine but we know she enjoyed more.

For the flights we brought my wife's iPad, a portable DVD player (we let DD pick out some movies), and DD 7in Kindle Fire. We told her the flights would not have wifi, she loves YouTube and she's used to the FlyFi on JetBlue, so she would not be able to watch certain things. The flights did have it but with everything else we had we didn't feel the need to buy it. We also purchased the entertainment on the second flight going out to Seattle. My SIL is a teacher and made up a packet of fun worksheets she could do on the flight. We would put them in a plastic sheath so that she could use a dry erase marker in case she wanted to do them again. Also brought wet ones wipes to wipe down the tray table on the plane. If I could have booked the flights differently I would have preferred not going through Houston on the way out as it made for two longer flights, I wish I could have booked through DEN or even Chicago as crazy as O'Hare can be. Two shorter segments would have been better as we really didn't have an affordable choice or a non-stop.

On the train we brought the iPad and Kindle knowing it was a long excursion. We also each had a recharging block to be safe. We were also sure to engage her and make her a part of the excursion. Simple stuff like asking her if she was having fun, if she liked the mountains or glaciers etc. We didn't bother bringing the iPad or Kindle in Juneau and Ketchikan as the excursions. But DW would let her use her iPhone, volume down as not to bother anyone.

Be sure to pack a 6 outlet power strip. Makes it easier to charge things up at night and to find everything in the morning. We are also sure to bring one to Disney too.

She loved the Kids Club and had a lot of fun. I think she liked that she had something that was her "own" on the cruise and that we were not apart of. Besides hanging out all the time with mom and dad all the time on board I'm sure gets boring for a 6yo. She also liked checking out the ship and walking around both inside and outside the ship. She did like the train ride and they do offer shorter trips as well. She liked riding out on the back platform as we went along. She liked the Mt Roberts Tram and walking down to the falls at Mendenhall Glacier. She even liked the Crab Boat tour in Ketchikan.

I hope that helps and if you have any other questions or I missed anything please be sure to ask.

the If I could have booked the flights differently I would have preferred not going through Houston on the way out as it made for two longer flights, I wish I could have booked through DEN or even Chicago as crazy as O'Hare can be. Two shorter segments would have been better as we really didn't have an affordable choice or a non-stop.

Thank you! That was really helpful, especially in regards to the flights. We are doing a one-way Alaska cruise (Seward-Vancouver), so the flights are one of our biggest sticking points. The flight to Anchorage is going to be long, no matter what (we are in Ohio) but I think you're absolutely right about trying to make each segment as short as possible.

Too funny that your daughter knows and loves FlyFi... Our little dude does as well. He especially loves the Jet Blue basket of snacks, and how he can usually charm his way into multiple bags :) Jet Blue is our airline of choice, but not a possibility for this trip.

They don't fly out of Canada (Vancouver) where our cruise ends.

Gotcha, I didn't put two and two together when you mentioned VAN. DW and I were supposed to cruise on the Sun 2 years ago from ANC to VAN but we were going to rent a car and drive to Seattle and fly back from there. We were going to see the Red Sox play in Seattle and we had booked JetBlue from BOS to ANC and back from SEA.

If you haven't booked already when it come time for booking flights look at booking JetBlue to ANC and then back from VAN on another airline. I think all if not all airlines book as one ways now so you don't save anything booking round trips on one airline anyway.

Gotcha, I didn't put two and two together when you mentioned VAN. DW and I were supposed to cruise on the Sun 2 years ago from ANC to VAN but we were going to rent a car and drive to Seattle and fly back from there. We were going to see the Red Sox play in Seattle and we had booked JetBlue from BOS to ANC and back from SEA.

If you haven't booked already when it come time for booking flights look at booking JetBlue to ANC and then back from VAN on another airline. I think all if not all airlines book as one ways now so you don't save anything booking round trips on one airline anyway.

Great tip! Thank you!

Great tip! Thank you!

You are welcome. Also when looking at flights home check out flying home from SEA, the flights could work better etc. There are a few ways of getting from VAN to SEA, car rental (though you would need to add a car/booster seat), train, and bus. The West Coast Departures board is full of info.

Edited by jimsig

Finally got a chance to read this.

Great trip!!! Thanks for sharing it with us. I loved all the pictures and it make me miss Alaska. In a perfect world we would be heading there next summer. Only time will tell.

Thanks Jen, glad you liked. Hopefully the next time you will "exist" :D I already can't wait to read your next Alaska trip report.

I have just spent the past hour glued to this thread!!

I am THRILLED to read your trip report. I am doing this cruise 6/25/17. I hate cold weather, love scuba diving and sun and sand. My 40th birthday is on 6/25/17, and I always thought I would be on a beach with a drink or a fabulous European city. However, I have a 6 year old boy who is begging to go to Alaska. So, I'll be spending my 40th on a glacier with my son ;). Your trip report was wonderful for me.. I'm now getting very excited for our cruise!

We are doing a Disney Western Caribbean this Christmas, obviously I know that DCL will have plenty for us to do. I have been a little worried about NCL but after your report, and the descriptions of how much fun your daughter had, my fears are put to rest. Glad you all had an amazing time!!

I'm saving this thread so I can come back and read it again!

Edited by disneygirl10

I'm glad you liked it DisneyGirl and even happier it helped you get excited and to put your fears to rest. I know you will love Alaska. We did great with weather. It was in the mid to high 70's in Seattle on both ends of the trip, Juneau was high 60's, Skagway was in the 70's and a bit warmer as we got to the Yukon, Glacier Bay was cooler around 50 but you are surrounded by ice, Ketchikan was in the 60's, and Victoria was low 70's. We always carried a fleece with us just in case.

I know when we take our DD on another cruise she will ask about the Kids Club, she's still talking about it. My brother did an NCL cruise with his wife and he tells a story of the two boys about 12 he overheard talking about the kids club and how much fun they had in it. They were nervous to ask their parents if they could go back after dinner, one of those, "you ask", "no you ask them" things. They were supposed to do something as a family after dinner and thought their parents would say no. They finally gained the courage to ask and were told of course they could go. They were so excited they high fived each other.

We hope to do a Disney Cruise at some point. Just have to find the time.

• 2 weeks later...

Just came across this and figured I'd post it. I know it might be a little late for this year but might help somebody next year and. These can also be found on the NCL site but it's nice having them in an easy place to look at to get an idea and to compare prices. As I mention in my report we booked everything on our own and saved quite a bit of money but I know others would rather book right through NCL.

ShoreEx%2001_zpsmmv50ryi.jpg

PAGE 1

ShoreEx%2002_zps7dle2szk.jpg

PAGE 2

ShoreEx%2003_zpsuw4mfb93.jpg

PAGE 3

ShoreEx%2004_zpsnfnk8s7s.jpg

PAGE 4

• 3 weeks later...