Free H2O

Newbie here and I'm struck by the vast amount of people that won't drink tap water. Just really noticing all the threads of cruisers searching for the best water deal. So I started wondering who does and who doesn't drink tap water. I would never pay for tap water, too cheap and I love tap water, yes even when I can smell the bleach in it. But I'm crazy anyway. So I found this paper on the internet, interesting reading. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3084479/ It is about who buy bottled water and why. Pippi L.

Believe or not the NCL water is far better to drink than city tap water and bottle water. The process that NCL goes throught to make NCL water puts a chaim to the city water treatment facilties. We bring a large container and go fill it up, put it in the fridge and its good to go.

We drink tap water at all times, we have never bought bottled water. :) When cruising or in hotels we carry empty plastic bottles and fill for use during the day. :D Preferably we have a ice bucket filled overnight and then use the cold water in the bottles during the day; that way the water doesn't freeze in the bottle in the fridge overnight, sometimes the fridge is more like a freezer!!! :mad:

I always drink tap water too😀. I've read that if you leave tap water from stateroom in a jug the taste of chlorine evaporates, I personally can't taste the chlorine, also get steward to keep ice in bucket for nice cool water 😀

I drink tap water at home, when visiting friends, etc.

At work and while on ships, I drink bottled water because the tap water tastes dead. Filtering it does not improve the taste.

I don't drink things with sugar substitutes and I don't want to drink only sugar added beverages or plain iced tea. So I drink bottled water.

Simple as that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The water on the ship is H2O...just like bottled water! Jeez, folks,...it's WATER! There is nothing mystical about it...it has no health benefits...except that every body needs H2O to survive....

As long as there are no parasites or germs in the water, its fine. Drink the ship's water.

Why would ANYONE PAY for that which is free and included??? I don't get it.

The water on the ship is H2O...just like bottled water! Jeez, folks,...it's WATER! There is nothing mystical about it...it has no health benefits...except that every body needs H2O to survive....

As long as there are no parasites or germs in the water, its fine. Drink the ship's water.

Why would ANYONE PAY for that which is free and included??? I don't get it.

Now come on....you know darn well you are going to get the same tired answers from the same people on this. :D

Believe or not the NCL water is far better to drink than city tap water and bottle water. The process that NCL goes throught to make NCL water puts a chaim to the city water treatment facilties. We bring a large container and go fill it up, put it in the fridge and its good to go.

Actually the water onboard many of the ships (on any cruise line) is city tap water. Ships bunker water from local ports. Some ships never run their desalinization plants (evaporators or reverse osmosis) because it is easier and cheaper to buy local water than use the power and pay the maintenance cost of the equipment onboard.

For example:

Royal Caribbean "All drinking water is either distilled from seawater or loaded onboard while the ship is in port."

Carnival "Shipboard potable water either comes from a shoreside water treatment plant or is generated on board from seawater"

Princess "Fresh water comes from two different sources: produced water or bunkered water, which is purchased from port communities"

Edited by BirdTravels

Actually the water onboard many of the ships (on any cruise line) is city tap water. Ships bunker water from local ports. Some ships never run their desalinization plants (evaporators or reverse osmosis) because it is easier and cheaper to buy local water than use the power and pay the maintenance cost of the equipment onboard.

For example:

Royal Caribbean "All drinking water is either distilled from seawater or loaded onboard while the ship is in port."

Carnival "Shipboard potable water either comes from a shoreside water treatment plant or is generated on board from seawater"

Princess "Fresh water comes from two different sources: produced water or bunkered water, which is purchased from port communities"

While true that many ships do bunker water in ports, I would say it would be very rare to "never" run their plants. Given the testing requirements for the shore water and the hydrant, and the requirement to segregate newly bunkered water for 24 hours for testing, and the fact that heat generated by the engines underway is the major source of energy for making water, the cost factor favors making over bunkering.

We’ll buy the water package when we cruise. I don’t remember disliking the tap water on our last cruise but my husband is a bit of a snob when it comes to his H2O. At home, we never drink tap water unless out of absolute necessity. Poland Spring all the way.

Just so you know the brand of water they sell on board is Aquafina, bottled by Pepsi. Essentially it is purified tap water with a few minerals and a trace of salt added. The only spring you'll see on board is inside your mattress![emoji6]

We will be drinking the tap water. Bringing filtered bottles for insurance, but more than happy to avoid paying bottled water prices irrespective of who supplies them.

Off topic-

I LOVE your Ferret!

Thank you.