Travel Insurance

Blackrobe

I bought insurance for my third and fourth cruises (cruises after Sept 11) and had a claim (missing the ship midway expenses) on the 4th. I generally only buy insurance for the more expensive trips.

NEXT UP: Tahitian Princess October 2004 (Tahiti)

Golden Princess May 2003 (Mediterranean)

Golden Princess January 2002 (Eastern Caribbean)

Sea Princess March 2001 (Western Caribbean)

Carnival Inspiration March 1997 (Southern Caribbean)

Wife got some intestinal bug on one trip, and between the Travel Insurance and our own coverage, there was no out-of-pocket expense, even though she spent almost 24 hrs in the ship's hospital being attended by ship's staff.

Michael

My husband passed away just before our first cruise. We had insurance which covered everything except the cost of insurance.

Hopfully a Hawiian Cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2006;12;5;11;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500  Until we sail away on the ocean blue

Navigator of the Seas Western Crib 08/03

Dawn Princess - Eastern Carb 01/03

Dawn Princess Panamal Canal 11/02

Yes, I have made a claim on my travel insurance but it was not on a cruise. I live in Canada and always take out health insurance when travelling to the U.S.

I slipped on some stone steps at a Nat. Park in Colorado and broke my leg in two places.

The cost for ambulance, 3 hours in emergency room,x-rays and follow up came to $5000. Thankfully the airline was very accomodating and rescheduled my flight home at a later date.

I consider insurance to be a necessary part of travel and have taken out full travel coverage for my first cruise NEXT MONDAY! Can't wait.

SUN PRINCESS May 17th.

I took trip insurance for my June 5th transatlantic crossing on QM2. It was pointed out to me that the ship's doctors are not licensed to practice in the U.S. and therefore my regular health insurance wouldn't pay, if I needed some type of treatment.

Also since I booked this journey last July, I figured there is no telling what could possibly happen between then and now.

I fully expect I won't need the insurance, but opted for it anyways in this case. For most trips, I would not buy insurance.

Vince

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;6;5;18;00;00&timezone=GMT+0000

June 5th - Queen Mary 2 Westbound Transatlantic

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;11;22;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

November 22nd - Sun Princess 10 night Eastern Caribbean

I started this poll as a companion to Chris' "hot" post. I know it could have been phrased better but I thought it might develop some interesting numbers.

My own story is that on our Panama Canal cruise my wife tripped leaving the terminal in Acapulco. She broke one ankle and the other ankle was badly twisted. Fortunately, the fracture was not displaced and she was able to receive a cast from the ship's doctor (the ship was the Sea Princess and the medical service was superb) so we did not have to receive medical treatment in Acapulco. Nevertheless, our medical insurance would not cover charges incurred outside the United States. Our travel insurance paid for everything. Well worth the price we paid.

Sailing from Galveston aboard the Grand in

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800000&cdt=2004;11;20;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Cruise/Tour around Cape Horn in

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=8b0000&cdt=2005;1;20;9;00;00&timezone=GMT-0300

It is interesting that nearly 30% of those responding have made a claim on their insurance. For those going "bare", using these statistics, out of every 5 cruises you are likely to have an event for which you could make a claim on your travel insurance.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800000&cdt=2004;11;20;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=8b0000&cdt=2005;1;20;9;00;00&timezone=GMT-0300

I asked this query on the other post which seems to have disappeared.... but would still like someone to explain ... if possible

All our brochures over here make it clear that we MUST have 'suitable' travel insurance. In particular, on our last cruise, our insurance was checked at the airport (before we even left the UK). How do you guys get away without it - is it something to do with your medical insurance versus our National Health ????

Ken

Interesting perhaps but clearly not accurate, if people claimed anywhere near 30% then the rates would not be at 2-5% would they? Simple common sense shows that can't be the case.

The respondents are obviously not representative as travel insurance has a loss rate of more like .06%. Data is hard to come by but that figure came from an officail publication of the Austrailian gov't about their citizens who travel abroad and included all risks, on trips much longer than a one week cruise.

Life is at it's best when your address floats

<FONT color=red>Alaska</FONT>

Diamond Princess 05/04 ~~ Mercury 06/02

Rhapsody o.t. Seas 05/98 ~~ Legend o.t. Seas 09/95

<FONT color=red>Mexican Riviera</FONT>

Diamond Princess 12/04

Diamond Princess 11/04 ~~ Diamond Princess 04/04

Sea Princess 01/02 ~~ Vision o.t. Seas 04/02<FONT color=red>

West Coast-Baja Mexico</FONT>

Ecstacy 09/01

<FONT color=red>Eastern Carribean</FONT>

Century 12/97

<FONT color=red>Western Carribean</FONT>

Century 9/96

Ken and Julie,

I don't think we are getting away with anything. If you choose to travel without insurance and something happens you have to pay out of your own pocket. I have seen many post where it was stated that while on one of the islands they wouldn't receive treatment until they received payments.

Bill

1a.jpg

Caribbean Princess Eastern Caribbean cruise page

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>is it something to do with your medical insurance versus our National Health ????

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>KEN - Isn't there a TA or someone who you can contact over there to find out?

I would think it might be but not knowing how your National Health works it might be required by them if you leave there. I doubt it has anything to do with the cruise lien.

Future cruises:

5/04 HAL-Amsterdam-Alaska

9/04 Star Princess-Med.x2 Venice to Barcelona/ Barcelona to Rome

11/04 Dawn Princess-Southern Caribbean

Jan. 05 Diamond Princess-Mexican Riviera

July 05 Star Princess-Baltics

Aug. 05 Star Princess-Baltics

Past cruises:

04 Dawn Princess- Southern Caribbean x2

03 Grand Princess-W.Caribbean

03 Sun Princess -Mexico

03-Tahitian Princess-Tahiti/ Cook Islands

03 Royal Princess-x2 British Isles & Norwegian Fjords/ Iceland

03 Island Princess-Panama Canal

01 HAL Ryndam x 2-S. America San Diego to Valpariso/ & around Cape Horn to Rio

00 Sky Princess-China/Orient

79 Sitmar's Fairwind- Caribbean/Panama Canal

Hi. is this the same insurance that if you have to cancel your cruise because of an accident You will get reimbersed for what you have invested and is it also cover you while traveling. Is this all covered as one policy or do you have to get another for the medical part. Thanks Roy

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Interesting perhaps but clearly not accurate, if people claimed anywhere near 30% then the rates would not be at 2-5% would they? Simple common sense shows that can't be the case. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The poll results state that 30% of people who responded have made a claim on travel insurance at one time or another, not that a claim has been made 30% of the time. icon_cool.gif

Actually as of now, it reads 43% of those responding have made a claim (there are 3 different ways to respond YES in the polling...)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SharkieRools:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Interesting perhaps but clearly not accurate, if people claimed anywhere near 30% then the rates would not be at 2-5% would they? Simple common sense shows that can't be the case. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The poll results state that 30% of people who responded have made a claim on travel insurance at one time or another, not that a claim has been made 30% of the time. icon_cool.gif

Actually as of now, it reads 43% of those responding have made a claim (there are 3 different ways to respond YES in the polling...)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

by blackrobe:

It is interesting that nearly 30% of those responding have made a claim on their insurance. For those going "bare", using these statistics, out of every 5 cruises you are likely to have an event for which you could make a claim on your travel insurance

The nubers are more like 43% as you point out, but the inference was that one in five cruises resulted in a need/opportunity, that was clearly silly in terms of math. The point is the poll is wildy innacurate and that in actual fact less than one in a hundred trips results in a claimable event.

Diamond Princess 12/04

Ecstacy 09/01

Century 12/97

Century 9/96

[This message was edited by srphnx on 05-17-04 at 06:16 PM.]

You are absolutely correct with respect to the numbers. The poll is not scientific and was posted to get some kind of idea with respect to claims made on insurance from the board readers (and even more accurately - the board posters). Even with its shortcomings it is interesting!

I grant you I was interested, so much so that for the first time in about 20 of these threads I actually did some digging for actuarial style numbers, I always knew the incidence of use was "low", but to put a number on it was helpful.

I do believe in insurance for those with a pre-existing issue or foreseeable event, i.e. notoriously bad weaher at home airport.

Diamond Princess 12/04

Ecstacy 09/01

Century 12/97

Century 9/96

No robroy. The insurance if you buy the right one will cover, travel, medical and baggage.

But you can buy each part separtly to but at a much higher price.

Hopfully a Hawiian Cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2006;12;5;11;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500  Until we sail away on the ocean blue

Navigator of the Seas Western Crib 08/03

Dawn Princess - Eastern Carb 01/03

Dawn Princess Panamal Canal 11/02

I would be interested to understand if people buy the Princess insurance that covers Princess booked travel items or do you buy the independently purchased insurance like Travel Guard or some other brand?

For many of us, that are frequent cruises on Princess, the cruise line offers a free upgrade to their gold package, but this still only covers the Princess booked items. It is my understanding that if you book your own air and hotels and buy the Princess insurance you are still on your own for the self-booked portions of your vacation.

We cruised every year for ten years and never bought insurance Period. None! We have been lucky and never have had to submit a claim. Dodged that bullet I guess!

In the last year or two we have started buying Travel Guard insurance. This is for a number of reasons that include; aging parents, our growing family i.e. married kids & grand kids, our own age and longer more expensive cruise trips. We decided that Travel Guard or other independent insurance provides coverage door to door so we THINK that this is a better approach.

Any thoughts on this subject from this angle?

nhcruiser - you're analysis is correct. We purchased Princess insurance on our first Princess cruise. After that experience we learned that we could purchase travel insurance through a third party that offered more extensive coverage at a much more reasonable price. We have purchased insurance for all of our cruises and since that first cruise we have purchased our insurance through third parties usually CSA.

While I personally think it is better for me to buy insurance from an outside provider instead of Princess, we did find out that Princess reimbursed more when we missed the ship. My insurance (CSA) only covered the actual expenses incurred while traveling back to the ship (about $450 pp) while the Princess insurance for another couple covered actual expenses plus reimbursed a per dium for the days of the cruise we missed. Unfortunately, the cap was $500, but it was nice that the couple received something for the fun & meals they didn't get to experience on the ship. That said, I still buy private insurance. They were platinum members who recieved the free upgrade to Pricess Gold insurance (or whatever it is). I don't think Princess will default any time soon, so for those who choose Princess insurance, it's probably a decent way to go (knowing there are trade offs).

NEXT UP: Tahitian Princess October 2004 (Tahiti)

Golden Princess May 2003 (Mediterranean)

Golden Princess January 2002 (Eastern Caribbean)

Sea Princess March 2001 (Western Caribbean)

Carnival Inspiration March 1997 (Southern Caribbean)

One more for never bought it never needed it and on for always buy it never needed it. Wouldn't it be necessary to figure out how many cruise the people had been on to calculate the percentage that have made a claim. (If I bought it thirty times and used it once it should not be weighted the same in the poll as some one who has bought it once and used it once) isn't that true? Just a thought. Jen

We had traveled extensively and never ever thought to buy insurance. After 9/11 I did just in case our flights were delayed since I book them on my own. Well, on our way back from Panama to Miami my husband became terribly ill and almost died. He spent 16 hours in the ships hospital, they rerouted the ship to get us into Grand Caymen where he spent 5 days in ICU and they performed emergency surgery to fix him up. THANK GOD I had insurance! My own coverage took care of the hospital bills but our purchased policy paid for the days missed on the cruise, my hotels, taxis, flights home ($1200 per person one way back to Calif)...we felt like we'd won the lottery! And, the reason my husband became so ill, and almost bled to death, was nothing at all pre-existing...it was truly a fluke occurance on the cruise!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That was, and will always continue to be the best $50 I will ever ever ever spend on any trip at all!!!!! icon_smile.gif

Cunard Princess 1983; Royal Princess 1985; Dawn Princess 1990; Carnival Fantasy 1993; Epirotiki Odysseus 1995; Carnival Ecstasy 1998; Sun Princess 12/1999; Renaissance 12/2000; Carnival Ecstasy 8/2001; Carnival Spirit 12/2001; Grandeur of the Seas 6/2002; Celebrity Infinity 8/29/2002; Carnival Triumph 6/14/03; Grand Princess 1/11/04; Caribbean Princess 9/4/04

Archived