Off topic from fashion.......

Lois R

31 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi girls, Melody, hoping for a full recovery for Les!

Just checking in to see how everyone is doing during these trying times.

physically doing fine,  mentally...  well, trying to keep busy. :)  How are you doing?   I'm trying not to watch the news too much, as it's a bit much for me, but I'm not sure how things are in Florida....  it's definitely not normal here.  Still, we are fortunate enough that we live in a house with a nice yard, I can't imagine if we were trapped together in an apartment.  It's not raining right now,  & yesterday I planted some zucchini, so in about a month we will have some fresh veggies which will be nice.    ate our last real egg today lol,  we do have several cartons of egg whites, which I"m grateful for though :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruise kitty said:

physically doing fine,  mentally...  well, trying to keep busy. :)  How are you doing?   I'm trying not to watch the news too much, as it's a bit much for me, but I'm not sure how things are in Florida....  it's definitely not normal here.  Still, we are fortunate enough that we live in a house with a nice yard, I can't imagine if we were trapped together in an apartment.  It's not raining right now,  & yesterday I planted some zucchini, so in about a month we will have some fresh veggies which will be nice.    ate our last real egg today lol,  we do have several cartons of egg whites, which I"m grateful for though :)

Hey, glad you are doing ok.  Things here? Well, it is not a mandate but most folks are staying home. Many restaurants,

malls, movie theaters, etc are closed.  The beaches were still open but now many of them are closed. After looking

at some of them? Folks are nuts....nobody is immune and people really need to heed these rules.

I agree about living issues....I am lucky, I can walk around the community and not get close to anyone and I know

I am very lucky about not missing a paycheck.  I feel terrible for all those folks in the service industry.

I live in a condo so don't have garden but as mentioned, I can go and walk around...….it has gotten warm early

here. It was in the mid 80s today.  And no, things are not normal here either...….I think  this is the new normal

for all of us.

• Like 2

Les & I tested negative for the virus. He is still pretty sick with bronchitis. Weather here has been snowy/rainy/cold. Hopefully it will improve so we can sit on the deck for a little bit. I need some vitamin D!  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, awhfy said:

Les & I tested negative for the virus. He is still pretty sick with bronchitis. Weather here has been snowy/rainy/cold. Hopefully it will improve so we can sit on the deck for a little bit. I need some vitamin D!  

Woo hoo!  that's something to be super grateful for.   Hope you get some sunshine!

• Like 1

I'm now back home with DD from college.  I was relieved to see most practicing social distancing during the trip - although PA, OH, and IN all have strict orders from their governors so we don't have a lot of choice 😉.  Still, it was good to see minimal private vehicles on the road and families have been able to stagger getting their student so it wasn't even crowded in the dorm.

Other than groceries and very minimal other stops we should be able to stay home.  Our church runs a food pantry and distribution was this past Saturday - assuming we are still on lock down next month we will help again so the more at risk can stay home.  Our children's ministry wants to send postcards to the children while we are shut down so I will probably get those supplies too, but otherwise sticking to walking our rural roads and not even going to the parks and hiking trails so they don't get too crowded.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi girls, hope all of you are doing ok! :classic_smile:  One of my longtime friends made a bunch of masks so she mailed me

one.  I need to go to the grocery store tomorrow morning so will be using it! We are really good friends but quite

opposite in terms of hobbies....I don't sew...….I can sew a button, she can make the entire outfit LOL.

We are also under the stay at home order.....I have been trying to walk for about 30 minutes every day (around

my complex).  But this week I should have been on my TA crossing...…….it would have been day 4...…...oh well.

• Like 2

I wore a paper mask (not a N 95)  for the first time today and found it made breathing sort of difficult and my glasses figged a bit. My sister says I will get used to it so we shall see....I heard  a doctor say that wearing a mask will train us not to touch our face. 

Awww, Lois, that’s sad about your cruise but I know there will be many more cruises in your future so happy dreaming! Oh and best to get your cruising in before you turn 70. I’ve read that cruise lines are going to require a doctor’s  letter saying one is fit for travel! I wonder if doctors will be willing to do this. If not, there may be a change in age demographics on future cruises! 

Stay safe and well.

Sharon

12 minutes ago, purduemom1 said:

I wore a paper mask (not a N 95)  for the first time today and found it made breathing sort of difficult and my glasses figged a bit. My sister says I will get used to it so we shall see....I heard  a doctor say that wearing a mask will train us not to touch our face. 

Awww, Lois, that’s sad about your cruise but I know there will be many more cruises in your future so happy dreaming! Oh and best to get your cruising in before you turn 70. I’ve read that cruise lines are going to require a doctor’s  letter saying one is fit for travel! I wonder if doctors will be willing to do this. If not, there may be a change in age demographics on future cruises! 

Stay safe and well.

Sharon

Sharon the paper mask that I had did the same thing to me,  the fabric ones that my friend made are shaped to cover the nose & mouth, & then hug the face way below the eyes,  wearing that one my sunglasses do not fog up & I can breathe much easier...  try etsy, lots of people are selling them on there :)

Good morning, there is a company in California called "Sanctuary"...….locally owned business who make clothing

and they are making masks......google it.  They sell a pack of 5 for 28.00 and part of the money goes to local

charities----I decided to order a pack. Haven't received them yet but a very good cause.

• Like 2

I did a cloth mask earlier this week (makeshift bandana with hair ties) and it was much better for fogging than paper.  I did find some paper ones in the back of my linen closet I will use when I go out today.

I read that if you clean your glasses with shaving cream that should keep them from fogging.  I've heard that before for mirrors and shaving but don't know how it would work for glasses.

• Like 1

Thanks, girls, for all the mask ideas and tips. Will try the shaving cream idea and see how that works. I do sew but was just hoping to use disposable masks (I also found some in the linen closet). Found them when I was looking to see if I had any suitable material to make a mask. Looks like I will have to resort to repurposing something. Or I will try Lois’s site and cruise kitty suggests Etsy. Thanks all.

Sharon

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, cruise kitty said:

@Lois R  hope that you are ok...  you haven't posted in a while....  sending positive thoughts your way & hoping you can give a quick update on your situation 🙂

Lois, I’ve been thinking about you and wondering how you are doing.I know your cyber friends are all hoping that you are ok. Sending good thoughts and wishes to you. 

Sharon

• Like 1

Hi girls, well,...… I have been in the hospital all week.  Seems my kidney's went bonkers on me...…...renal failure.

I am MUCH better now and just got home today.  Went in on Monday...….they released me today.  I am diabetic too.

Lots of diet changes coming...……..

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Jan_In_Maine said:

Lois - hope that everything will be ok ... I'm also diabetic ... but, it is now under control.  Jan

Hi Jan, thanks......LOTS of stuff I have to read, OMG......they gave me all kinds of paperwork...…...not sure where to

start.  I had to buy insulin.....picked up today before I got home.   I have a health care person calling me next week too.

ALL NEW STUFF

53 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi Jan, thanks......LOTS of stuff I have to read, OMG......they gave me all kinds of paperwork...…...not sure where to

start.  I had to buy insulin.....picked up today before I got home.   I have a health care person calling me next week too.

ALL NEW STUFF

Lois - Yes it is all new stuff ... but, it really is doable ... the biggest benefit I found was meeting with a dietitian/nutritionist .... they really helped in helping me understand about carbs and what to eat to keep my sugars level.  I am lucky at this time point ... my levels have stabilized and I am only on metformin and trulicity (once per week) ... I also had to lose weight ... that was really difficult as I have metabolic syndrome and it was very frustrating trying to be healthy.  I found that I had to be more pro-active about the different medicines I was taking.

Best of everything for your continued health ... Let me know if you ever want to talk!!!  Take care, Jan 

Hi Jan, I may take you up on it....I will be speaking with a health care worker next week...….will let you know how

it goes....

• Like 1

Lois, so good to finally hear from you! Pretty scary stuff that you have been dealing with!  I can tell you are a bit overwhelmed right now and with good reason. I know you will figure it all out and it’s good to know that there is help available. I have a good friend who is diabetic and when she was first diagnosed it was a shock and she was very stressed trying to handle it but she went for nutritional counseling and now she is a pro at knowing how to manage it. Hang in there!

Sharon