Recipe for scones?

mrsgthatsme

This is the recipe for the English-type scones served on Princess, but if you follow my suggestions, yours will be better. :D

2 cups of self-raising flour (if that is not available use plain flour and baking powder to achieve the same result)

1 dessertspoon butter or margarine

1 cup milk (sour milk is best. If you don't have that use a few drops of lemon juice to sour your milk)

pinch of salt

Sift flour and salt then mix with butter in a food processor or mixer. Add milk and mix by hand, taking care to handle the dough very gently. Too much handling will toughen the dough. I think this is what happens on the ship where the dough has to be mixed by machine because of the quantity they make.

Place dough on a floured board and gently roll into a 'log' shape and cut off pieces. Place on greased tray and brush with milk. Bake in a hot oven (350 degrees F) for 20 minutes until golden on top.

The scones are particularly yummy when they are straight out of the oven. If you have any left the next day, warm them in a microwave before serving.

If you like the scones on the Princess ships you will really love proper scones. I think the scones on the Princess ships are like little rocks - too hard' date=' dry and small. Try a proper scone with jam and cream, you will love them.[/quote']

We went to tea three times. Twice the scones were decent--not as good as what we had in London, but not bad at all. The third time we joked about the "stones."

And you can try adding some lemonade, for real fluffy ones.:):)

I have heard that but never tried it. :) It might give the same result as using sour milk or souring the milk with lemon juice. I found out this trick by accident when some of the milk in my fridge had gone 'off'. I decided to make a batch of scones with it and the result was really fluffy and light. However, I still believe my mother's advice to "use a light hand" when making scones, is very important.:)

Yep and your light hand advice is the best,otherwise shes little rocks,for scones.

As much as I try I still cannot get my scones to rise like mother did.

Its either the flour or the baking powder that isn't up to scratch these days.

She would cut hers an inch thick and they would double.triple in size.

SIGH.:(

Anyway theres always the micro-wave for those rocks,just eat them quick.

Yes, you should never roll scones, just pat them gently into shape.

I like the idea of the log roll too.

However my mother never made round scones, hers were always squares ie the scone mix patted into a rectangle then cut into pieces.

Interestingly on the first couple of days on our last Princess cruise, the scones were absolutely amazing, but for the rest of the cruise they were very average. In the end we stopped having them. They must have had different people making them.

This is the recipe for the English-type scones served on Princess, but if you follow my suggestions, yours will be better. :D

2 cups of self-raising flour (if that is not available use plain flour and baking powder to achieve the same result)

1 dessertspoon butter or margarine

1 cup milk (sour milk is best. If you don't have that use a few drops of lemon juice to sour your milk)

pinch of salt

Sift flour and salt then mix with butter in a food processor or mixer. Add milk and mix by hand, taking care to handle the dough very gently. Too much handling will toughen the dough. I think this is what happens on the ship where the dough has to be mixed by machine because of the quantity they make.

Place dough on a floured board and gently roll into a 'log' shape and cut off pieces. Place on greased tray and brush with milk. Bake in a hot oven (350 degrees F) for 20 minutes until golden on top.

The scones are particularly yummy when they are straight out of the oven. If you have any left the next day, warm them in a microwave before serving.

If making scones by hand, cold hands are best. I have to place them under running cold water first before I bake.

Annie

And you can try adding some lemonade, for real fluffy ones.:):)

For gluten-free,dairy free scones,take recipe above.Use soy-milk,lemonade,glutin free flour roughly same quantities

Lemonade adds air, great tip.

Lemonade adds air, great tip.

In fact there is a recipe that uses lemonade and cream instead of butter and milk. They come out very light, but don't keep well. Very quick and easy though, especially when you only want a small quantity.

For 4 scones.

1 cup self raising flour

1/3 cup lemonade

1/3 cup pure cream (whipping cream, not thickened).

Mix together gently, pat into a rectangle and cut into four pieces.

Place on a floured baking tray (or use baking paper on the tray) and bake in a preheated oven at 180C for 15-20 minutes or until golden.

Even you could make these, Gut.

Mrs Gut makes scones, but they come out as rock cakes, good job I love Rock cakes.

A rock cake recipe is very similar to a scone recipe. I make them quite often, DH loves them. My secret is to add 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon to the flour mix.

T

Sift flour and salt then mix with butter in a food processor or mixer. Add milk and mix by hand, taking care to handle the dough very gently.

When I learnt to make scones the butter was rubbed into the flour and salt, using the fingertips until it resembled breadcrumbs, then the milk was quickly mixed in with a knife. It's a bit of extra work but my scones always come out light, and rubbing the butter into the flour is an oddly satisfying technique.

I assume you mean something like US 7-Up or Sprite for lemonade.

Thank you for translating.

I was having a hard time figuring out how water, lemon and sugar (American lemonade) made them light and fluffy. Carbonation makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Love the log-roll idea,we always roll flat and cut out with cookie-cutter.

Going to try that trick.

Cheers

I do that with all of my cookies that are supposed to be rolled out and cut in circles. It's much easier and has less chance of making the product tough.

In fact there is a recipe that uses lemonade and cream instead of butter and milk. They come out very light, but don't keep well. Very quick and easy though, especially when you only want a small quantity.

For 4 scones.

1 cup self raising flour

1/3 cup lemonade

1/3 cup pure cream (whipping cream, not thickened).

Mix together gently, pat into a rectangle and cut into four pieces.

Place on a floured baking tray (or use baking paper on the tray) and bake in a preheated oven at 180C for 15-20 minutes or until golden.

Even you could make these, Gut.

Hate to break it to you but Gut's a good cook.

Haven't got my scone recipe to hand.