Godfrey vs Sunny Liston vs Alternate Tour Option?

amy2313

Hi Everyone,

I need some help. I have 2 friends sailing to St. Thomas next month and they would like to spend the majority of their time at one of the beaches. They are not snorkelers but just want a relaxing beautfiul beach dayfor some sunbathing and swim time.

They also want to do some sightseeing on the way to and from the beach from the ship with a stop at the Mountain Top to take in the views and have a cocktail or two.

I have been to St. Thomas a few times in the past and have toured with both Godfrey Tours and Sunny Liston. I contacted both of them via email a few days ago to ask if either could do this type of itinerary for the day and have not heard back from either of them. (I was surprised not to hear back)

1) Which tour company do you recommend the most? Godfrey or Sunny?

2) Is there another tour company that can be reserved in advance that would be safe and trustworthy first and a decent price next?

3) For the non-snorkeler, which beach would people recommend the most? And why?

Thanks so much for any help you can provide!

No one?? :)

How about this question... I emailed both Godfrey and Sunny at the beginning of the week and have not heard back from either. Is that odd? How quickly do they usually respond?

I went on a tour with Coco Coco Brown who won Taxi Driver of the Year from Hotel Association (friends told me this) and I took his card because I was so impressed. He is one of the rare taxi drivers who doesn't require a minimum and has an air conditioned van (which I don't prefer but some people do).

If you want to tour with him, specify that you want to spend time at a beach. Not all island tours include beach time.

You can contact him at cocobrown1967@yahoo.com.

Godfrey emailed me back in about 36 hours and if you go to their website, it shows the tours they offer. I have never been to St. Thomas so I can't recommend either.

Google "godfrey tours" and you should find their site easily. I think Godfrey has that which you seek.

I went on a tour with Coco Coco Brown who won Taxi Driver of the Year from Hotel Association (friends told me this) and I took his card because I was so impressed. He is one of the rare taxi drivers who doesn't require a minimum and has an air conditioned van (which I don't prefer but some people do).

If you want to tour with him, specify that you want to spend time at a beach. Not all island tours include beach time.

Than you! I am going to send him an email and give it a try.

Godfrey emailed me back in about 36 hours and if you go to their website, it shows the tours they offer. I have never been to St. Thomas so I can't recommend either.

Google "godfrey tours" and you should find their site easily. I think Godfrey has that which you seek.

I tried emailing Godfrey about a week ago and never heard back. I thought it was very odd as he is normally quick to respond but it has been a few years since the last time I toured with him.

Thanks for the info.

I emailed coco and he got back to me right away! Thank you for the name. Based on the pricing and what we want to do for the day I am now rethinking my tour approach for the day.

Since we want to get off the ship and only go to two places: the beach and the mountain top should we forget about reserving a tour company in advance and hop on a taxi right from the port and pay each way?

Does anyone know about how much it would be for a taxi from Havensight to Magen's Bay? then Magen's Bay to the Mountain Top and Back to the port?

Thanks so much!

The taxis that go to Mountain Top are all on tours, so it may not be possible to get a taxi to take you back. That's why most people just take a tour.

RT taxi to beach ranges from $8-24 depending on where you dock and which beach you choose. RT to Mountain Top would probably be $16-20. All fares are per person.

The taxis that go to Mountain Top are all on tours, so it may not be possible to get a taxi to take you back. That's why most people just take a tour.

RT taxi to beach ranges from $8-24 depending on where you dock and which beach you choose. RT to Mountain Top would probably be $16-20. All fares are per person.

We are docking in Havensight (I believe).

If we only want to do Magen's Bay all morning to early afternoon and then make a brief stop at the mountain top to check out the views and enjoy a cocktail before needing to be back to the ship for a departure at 3:30 would you recommend booking a tour in advance or is it possible and/or easier to hire/set this up once we are off the ship with the taxis/tours running right there?

What would be our best option for a safe and reliable way to do this and not spend a fortune for these two stops?

Thank you!

we did sunny liston last year and had a blast. He has an open air vehicle and keeps the music hopping. If you like a calm, relaxing, quiet tour than this one is not for you. We had people in age from 6-66 and we all had a great time. There was a lot of loud reggae music being played and some information of things that we were passing. He was very informative when we were at mountaintop and it was very interesting to hear about how much he loves his island. The group chose to go to Sapphire beach and others went back to the ship. We are going to St Thomas again next March and plan on going on another Sunny tour.

we did sunny liston last year and had a blast. He has an open air vehicle and keeps the music hopping. If you like a calm, relaxing, quiet tour than this one is not for you. We had people in age from 6-66 and we all had a great time. There was a lot of loud reggae music being played and some information of things that we were passing. He was very informative when we were at mountaintop and it was very interesting to hear about how much he loves his island. The group chose to go to Sapphire beach and others went back to the ship. We are going to St Thomas again next March and plan on going on another Sunny tour.

Thank you so much for the info. I have emailed Sunny twice now and no reply. I even used different email addresses thinking it was something on my end even though other emails are working just fine. Has anyone had trouble reach Sunny or getting a response.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Everyone,

I need some help. I have 2 friends sailing to St. Thomas next month and they would like to spend the majority of their time at one of the beaches. They are not snorkelers but just want a relaxing beautfiul beach dayfor some sunbathing and swim time.

They also want to do some sightseeing on the way to and from the beach from the ship with a stop at the Mountain Top to take in the views and have a cocktail or two.

I have been to St. Thomas a few times in the past and have toured with both Godfrey Tours and Sunny Liston. I contacted both of them via email a few days ago to ask if either could do this type of itinerary for the day and have not heard back from either of them. (I was surprised not to hear back)

1) Which tour company do you recommend the most? Godfrey or Sunny?

2) Is there another tour company that can be reserved in advance that would be safe and trustworthy first and a decent price next?

3) For the non-snorkeler, which beach would people recommend the most? And why?

Thanks so much for any help you can provide!

I think I'm looking for something similar to you but it's like the luck of the draw, mostly positive reviews but sometimes Godfrey and Sunny have wildly bad reviews. I have a feeling they are most likely to be off on busy days when trying to do too much.

I'm visiting on a busy port day and want to get out and about early before the other big ships arrive.

My family was just on St. Thomas last week and we used Dean Chinnery at dean_chinnery1@msn.com; website is http://www.deanstaxi.com. He is an independent taxi operator and was terrific. He picked us up at 7:30 (we chose the time), took us around St. Thomas (Paradise Point, Mountain Top, through downtown to point out some of the main sites there) and then on to Coki. We could have gone to any beach, though. We were at Coki by 10 and stayed until 2:30. He was punctual in picking us up and we were back to the port around 3 PM.

I booked him in January and touched base with him a few weeks prior to our arrival; he responded quickly to my emails. He was very nice, punctual and interesting to speak with. He is retired from the police force and had some great stories.

Edited by lolavix