Cuban Fusion - Thomson Dream - what tours?

Calling on you seasoned Thomson cruisers for some advice. Only know Cunard and nothing about Thomson yet!

We have just signed up for this cruise and wondering what tours are better booked with Thomson and what tours we can organise for ourselves. We are out of Montego Bay to Georgetown, Havana and Cozumel.

I'm pretty sure we will not have an opportunity to see around Montego Bay - but like to do self guided tours wherever possible, hiring a taxi to take us to places not available by foot.

In Georgetown we quite like the idea of spending some time with rays on the beach then heading for a wander around Georgetown. Does the Thomson Dream usually get into a port or tender off? Do you get a bus out of the port to the centre?

We'd like to visit Havana. Is this best on a tour?

Cozumel. Like to go to some runs. Any advice?

Any general Thomson tips also gratefully received.

There is also a local bus in Havana which does a round trip.

The best ruins are Chichen Itza but I'm not sure if you will be there long enough to do this. I think it's better from Costa Maya.

Tulem are also good but a lot smaller.

Thank you for the suggestions. It looks like we are in Havana overnight so may well take the classic car option and maybe also try the local buses. I think it may be easier to Tulem rather than having most of the day on a bus.

Havana is one of our favourite cities to visit - and so easy to DiY. The ship berths in the old town which has a great atmosphere and compact. The decaying grandeur has to be seen to be believed but there are some wonderful buildings. A photographer's dream! If it appeals to you we went to the Tropicana evening excursion with Thomson. We really enjoyed it - quite an experience and unforgettable.

Thank you for the suggestions. It looks like we are in Havana overnight so may well take the classic car option and maybe also try the local buses. I think it may be easier to Tulem rather than having most of the day on a bus.

I would recommend Tulum as it is a long journey to Chichen Itza and it's a huge site to get around.

Cozumel- We asked a taxi driver about the ruins and he said they weren't very good. Just domestic houses. He suggested to go at another port.

We got a taxi to Money Bar $10. One driver tried to talk us out of it and to go to the all inclusive beach. He said it would be crowded with all the snorkeling people.

We went and there was hardly anyone there. We sat on the beach chairs and had a lovely lunch and a few drinks. The snorkeling was quite good.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Hi tulipone, we are travelling in march on the same cruise. Can you tell me what you did in each port as I am scouring the internet for information. Thanks in advance 😀

Unfortunately we had to abandon the cruise through illness. Didn't go in the end. Hopefully you'll be more successful.