Princess Mt McKinley Lodge question

eandj

Are there walking trails we can enjoy while spending the day at this lodge? Not sure we want to book an excursion.

I think I read too, there is a shuttle to take us to see what little there is in Talkneeta?

We've stayed there several times, and each time we've been there it seems that there are a number of folks just sitting in the main lodge building reading. In the past there have been board games available from the front desk. The walking trails are not what I would characterize as extensive and won't take too long to do.

Assuming that there is no road construction the travel time on the shuttle to Talkeetna is about 40 to 45 minutes, but information in the guest rooms recommends giving your self an hour transit time. While I find Talkeetna too "touristy" for my taste I would find the shuttle to Talkeetna a more interesting option than just sitting in the lodge.

If Denali is visible there will be great views from the main lodge deck.

Thanks for the info. After looking at the trails advertsed, we agree they don't look like much. I think we'll look for something else. Especially if weather is reasonable.

Edited by eandj

Are there walking trails we can enjoy while spending the day at this lodge? Not sure we want to book an excursion.

I think I read too, there is a shuttle to take us to see what little there is in Talkneeta?

There are walking trails though the last time we were there they were closed due to a bear in the area.

We were just there 2 weeks ago. Although we stayed in Denali Village (Royal Caribbean, 5 miles away or so) we did go into and spend time in the Princess lodge. (The princess lodge was nicer than the RC lodge, by the way!) It did not appear there are good trails there at the Princess Lodge. However, there are a lot of souvenir shops across the street (none are real good, but can kill some time.) Not sure what is on your cruise agenda already, but Princess has a free bus that will take you to the Denali Visitor Center from the lodge, this is the official visitor center inside of the park. The free movie there is really good, excellent book store, they also have some hiking trails there, as well as a free dog show. This is part of the national park. Perhaps Princess has you already booked on a Denali bus tour (either nature tour or wilderness tour), if so do not assume they stop at the Visitor Center, ours did not. Our Denali buses picked us up right at the hotel and you go on your park tour without ever stopping at the visitor center. So going to the visitor center is something you could do free if you don't want to book an excursion. You are not going to want to go from Princess lodge to Talkeetna, that is a long way. Talkeetna lodge is also very nice but the town it real small. Unique, but small. Not worth a drive all the way from Denali entrance. Our tour did an overnight in Talkeetna on a different night than our Denali nights.

We were just there 2 weeks ago. Although we stayed in Denali Village (Royal Caribbean, 5 miles away or so) we did go into and spend time in the Princess lodge. (The princess lodge was nicer than the RC lodge, by the way!) It did not appear there are good trails there at the Princess Lodge. However, there are a lot of souvenir shops across the street (none are real good, but can kill some time.) Not sure what is on your cruise agenda already, but Princess has a free bus that will take you to the Denali Visitor Center from the lodge, this is the official visitor center inside of the park. The free movie there is really good, excellent book store, they also have some hiking trails there, as well as a free dog show. This is part of the national park. Perhaps Princess has you already booked on a Denali bus tour (either nature tour or wilderness tour), if so do not assume they stop at the Visitor Center, ours did not. Our Denali buses picked us up right at the hotel and you go on your park tour without ever stopping at the visitor center. So going to the visitor center is something you could do free if you don't want to book an excursion. You are not going to want to go from Princess lodge to Talkeetna, that is a long way. Talkeetna lodge is also very nice but the town it real small. Unique, but small. Not worth a drive all the way from Denali entrance. Our tour did an overnight in Talkeetna on a different night than our Denali nights.

Helpful information for those staying at the Denali Princess Lodge which is located at mile 238 of the George Parks Highway near the entrance to the national park. But the Mt. Mckinley Princess Lodge is located at mile 133 of the Parks Highway.

The names of these two lodges have caused some confusion throughout the years. When the name of the Mt. McKinley Princess Lodge was selected one might have thought that someone would realize the potential confusion.

Oh yes, thank you for the clarification, everything I wrote was for the Denali Princess lodge and thus not helpful to the OP. You are closer to Talkeetna. Boy first they rename the mountain on us now there are lodges with confusing names !

Edited by jwith2boys