Feedback on Cabin 767

Kamfish642

I would definitely feel better about if I were on deck 8 and not 7003. I am going to waitlist for something on the deck 8 and make a call after the refurb. I have tried to find reviews of that room and only found 2 and both commented on the very small closet and only 3 drawers and one referred to the room having disadvantages over the category Bs on deck 8 but didn’t elaborate. But did say they would never book that room again.  If we don’t get moved by June we will cancel and do something else this fall. So sad after waiting several months to book one of those rooms. 

Cindivan,

My info on those forward deck 7 cabins is from a family who were in one on our 2017 Fiji to Tahiti cruise. She complained many times about the anchor noise and rough ride. Granted, we were in some high seas around the Cook Islands.

I'm thinking PG wants the fan tail for suite passengers. 

Sorry you got whammied by this change too. 

8 hours ago, Pengawin3 said:

Cindivan,

My info on those forward deck 7 cabins is from a family who were in one on our 2017 Fiji to Tahiti cruise. She complained many times about the anchor noise and rough ride. Granted, we were in some high seas around the Cook Islands.

I'm thinking PG wants the fan tail for suite passengers. 

Sorry you got whammied by this change too. 

Thanks for that info. Anchor noise is loud whether high seas or not. More info makes my decision easier. Way too much money for a cruise being shifted around like that 

Edited by cindivan
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cindivan said:

Thanks for that info. Anchor noise is loud whether high seas or not. More info makes my decision easier. Way too much money for a cruise being shifted around like that 

I'm not sure I understand the angst over "anchor noise". In June, we were in cabin 805 which appears to be almost directly above 7003, and I don't recall any issue with anchor noise. We felt 805 was exceedingly quiet and never had any noise issues. Maybe it was because we always tried to be up and on our balcony or on deck for the arrival at each island and didn't notice when the anchor dropped. 

• 3 weeks later...

We are canceling our cruise on the PG this fall.  Too many variables in the room switcheroo and we decided we can't wait any longer to make plans so we needed to make the call one way or another.  On top of the "upgrade" issue DH is not a fan of taking that much time off from our family business so close to next week when we are getting ready to leave for 3 weeks on an Asia cruise.

So we booked a Caribbean cruise with my sister and her husband this fall - which won't the FP but we don't see each other that often so will be a lot of fun!  

We will make it to FP one day, just not this year.

Have fun everyone and maybe one day our paths will cross.

Cheers - Cindi

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, Jacqueline said:

I just found out my cabin disappeared through these threads! No word from the cruiseline or TA. 
I see from logging on that I have been reassigned to 8009. I have zero use for a butler on a cruiseship. 

The cabins on Deck 8 are definitely nice. I wouldn't turn one down if offered that for the price of the aft cabins on Deck 7. We normally don't make much use of our butler on Paul Gauguin,  but they can get you additional dinner reservations, and they can also help with other things that come up unexpectedly. On our first PG cruise, my husband had a latent back injury that was made much worse by a bumpy excursion at our first stop in the Marquesas. Our butler and room stewardess made that experience much better for both of us while he was bed ridden for several days.

Deck 8 is quiet, and convenient to the Pool area, the Pool Bar, and breakfast in the morning. We hope to be in our Deck 8 cabin for the 4th time on the Fiji to Bali cruise on April 11th,  but who knows what will happen between now and then.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/23/2020 at 7:43 AM, Jacqueline said:

I just found out my cabin disappeared through these threads! No word from the cruiseline or TA. 
I see from logging on that I have been reassigned to 8009. I have zero use for a butler on a cruiseship. 

As SWFLAOK stated, your Butler can help you with a lot of little things, but he is not the main advantage of a B cabin on Deck 8. Bigger room, forward, quiet, very few other rooms, everything else SWFLAOK pointed out, plus a $2000 free upgrade for our 2021 11 day Cooks cruise. I've stayed in on the 7th deck, although never in an aft cabin, and I've stayed on the 8th in a B cabin. While I was looking forward to the aft cabin, I took the B Cabin upgrade in a heartbeat.

• 3 months later...

What to do? Have heard that our October 3rd cruise will go ahead. We had booked aft room 767 and had been moved to butler room on 8th floor. 

Now we have heard we can move back to our original cabin or stay put. I love the aft view, but hubby wants to stay in the new room as bigger bed, more central location and Butler.

We too got the run around on the aft cabin..happy to have a larger room but the aft cabin is the best...no comparison....after the back and forth, we decided to cancel our mid oct cruise before the balance was due...just can’t chance it and on board masks did not sound compelling....I’m not here to bash the PG like the I’ll never travel with them again  “wanderers”  and others..this was unfortunate world events that no one had control over...PG will come back some day and would love to sail again....

AABB70E8-19F9-4236-A6E9-CC602B4A195E.jpeg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Larro9 said:

We too got the run around on the aft cabin..happy to have a larger room but the aft cabin is the best...no comparison....after the back and forth, we decided to cancel our mid oct cruise before the balance was due...just can’t chance it and on board masks did not sound compelling....I’m not here to bash the PG like the I’ll never travel with them again  “wanderers”  and others..this was unfortunate world events that no one had control over...PG will come back some day and would love to sail again....

Couldn't agree with you more about the aft cabins. There's just something very special about them. Although I must admit the promise of a free upgrade to a deck 8 category B cabin was certainly enticing! It's a win-win either way. ;)

Sorry you chose to cancel your cruise but well understand. PG made that choice for us by cancelling our July cruise. We've already made plans to visit FP next year (and even added a few extra days) but sadly opted against another cruise until the COVID-19 precautions are a thing of the past (if ever) so we can enjoy the picture-postcard-perfect South Pacific cruise we've dreamed of... sans masks!

While I am certainly no fan of PG's new management team at Ponant, I have never had bad things to say about the PG ship itself or her wonderful crew.... despite the extreme personal attack I suffered from one of the most prolific posters to this Forum (who also maintains a popular page about PG/FP on another well known social media site). Pretty sad this person felt the need to lash out like that. <sigh>

Like you, we look forward to the day we can cruise with PG and take full advantage of all she has to offer. For those that chose not to wait and cruise now despite COVID, we wish you all the best and hope you have a wonderful, memorable, and safe voyage.

Thanks Hutch..it is always good to connect over the PG...I’m anxious to hear “on board” reports and expect them to be positive..Who knows what capacity the ship will have and wish all of the PG staff and crew the best  ...everyone had a choice ! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/2/2020 at 12:44 PM, Pengawin3 said:

Cabin 767 will be gone after the 2020 dry dock. The 5 aft cabins will become 2 suites. I picked the cabin specifically for its unique layout, shower and location and got an email December 31 saying I am moved to a cabin on 8 now. Not really happy about it.

Of course, though no one has mentioned it, we now know there WAS no May, 2020 dry dock.  So, one assumes, those aft cabins remain untouched.  Now you have to get accustomed to losing your butler again....albeit recovering your aft staterooms!  

What are the chances PG will bother to inform you, one way or the other?  

Edited by Candlesmith
Spellcheck error

14 minutes ago, Candlesmith said:

Of course, though no one has mentioned it, we now know there WAS no May, 2020 dry dock.  So, one assumes, those aft cabins remain untouched.  Now you have to get accustomed to losing your butler again....albeit recovering your aft staterooms!  

What are the chances PG will bother to inform you, one way or the other?  

There are 2020 cruises yet to sail and 2021 cruises before 2021 dry dock. No idea what PG is doing with 767 or the 4 other aft cabins and the people they bumped to a B Cabin on those cruises. Will PG make the changes in 2021 dry dock? Not sure we know an answer. My Cabin for my Sept 2021 Cooks Cruise is still listed as 8006 in "Manage my Trip"  New Ponant Explorer class ships being built, plus a Windstar powered vessel, the Star Breeze, after a $250 million refurb is due to hit FP in the fall of 2021. The Star Breeze might have everything most people who previously sailed the PG look for in a ship to sail FP,  minus the horrible corporate policies of Ponant and the French Government that allowed Ponant to break contracts that they had signed with passengers, and are now refusing to honor, costing many people thousands of dollars, and creating horrific dilemmas and headaches for hundreds of their previous loyal customers, many I'm certain they have lost forever. Cruises that the cruise line cancelled, and they refuse to refund passengers money. It's disgraceful, and should be criminal. I can't think of any cruise line, airline or hotel line that has treated their loyal customers with more disdain than Ponant and Paul Gauguin, and that's saying something considering the times we're in. It seems to be typical French arrogance, "Let them eat cake". I don't know that much about the Star Breeze, but size, cabins, shallow draft, all point to the perfect replacement for passengers who have been so  mistreated by PG that they will never sail her again, but love FP enough to want to return and cruise the waters again. If she stayed in FP year round, I imagine she could easily take a over a huge portion of PG's market. If Ponant decides they don't want to spend a ton of money refurbishing PG, as I suspect, she has little life left, a few years at most. The Star Breeze will be in San Diego at the end of next summer, I may try and arrange a visit, if nothing else drive down to the docks and take a look.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

UPDATE:

Cabin 767 and the full aft set of cabins are available since there was NO DRYDOCK!

Moved our Marquesas cruise, yet again, to August 2021 and booked 767!

Hopefully the pandemic will be over next year. 

Edited by Pengawin3
Spelling error

18 hours ago, Pengawin3 said:

UPDATE:

Cabin 767 and the full aft set of cabins are available since there was NO DRYDOCK!

Moved our Marquesas cruise, yet again, to August 2021 and booked 767!

Hopefully the pandemic will be over next year. 

We had cabin 766 booked for our October 14th cruise which we postponed and then eventually canceled. We only had paid our deposit by the time the final payment was due and our TA was able to move our deposit to next years sailing on December 4th, 2021. PG did upgrade our 766 cabin  for the October cruise which we lost in transferring our dates but our TA did reserve cabin 767 for us along with saving us some OBC promos. Lets hope for a much better 2021.

• Haha 1

Good luck number8...hope it works out for you...we would of been your neighbor this week ...so much confusion, so little information...the cancelled cruise for a charter...changing agreements....Switching rooms .....which boat, which itinerary....And the 122 day wait for refund...I will think twice about re-booking in a few years...

• Haha 1

Unfortunately I agree with all that. We were so looking forward to this cruise (we also booked cabin 767} but are now totally disenchanted with Ponant due to their total disdain for their customers. 

We got tired of waiting for a refund from Ponant which might never come and resorted to a credit card claim which I’m happy to report refunded ALL of our prepaid cruise fare. Whew!

We are now booked to visit 3 islands and resorts in FP next year but will never again sail with PG as long as they fly the Ponant flag. I’m sure those currently booked on the PG will have a wonderful time and I wish you all the best... even TBK who lashed out at me via private message on social media just because I voiced my displeasure against Ponant (not the wonderful PG crew). 

2 hours ago, Hutchinj said:

Unfortunately I agree with all that. We were so looking forward to this cruise (we also booked cabin 767} but are now totally disenchanted with Ponant due to their total disdain for their customers. 

We got tired of waiting for a refund from Ponant which might never come and resorted to a credit card claim which I’m happy to report refunded ALL of our prepaid cruise fare. Whew!

We are now booked to visit 3 islands and resorts in FP next year but will never again sail with PG as long as they fly the Ponant flag. I’m sure those currently booked on the PG will have a wonderful time and I wish you all the best... even TBK who lashed out at me via private message on social media just because I voiced my displeasure against Ponant (not the wonderful PG crew). 

Happy you were able to recover your money. It seems the only ones who have been able to do so have been forced to take the credit card dispute route. My wife and I are supposed to be in Amsterdam today, day 25 of a 28 day European holiday, 13 day Viking Ocean cruise, and 15 days land in 3 countries. Viking, along with 4 different hotel properties happily refunded and/or cancelled our reservations at no charge, that's $0. Our hotel in Amsterdam, The Ambassade was accidentally booked as a non cancellable rate, one quick email to the property and they will not charge my card for the 5 nights we would have been there. Of course the Netherlands is closed to U.S. citizens, so they did the honorable thing for their clients, unlike how Ponant is mistreating theirs.

And Hutchinj, you aren't the only one who has been accosted via private message for expressing your views online about the way Ponant and Paul Gauguin have conducted themselves. You, me and I know of at least four or five others who have had to deal with the same. 

2 hours ago, MrRandal said:

And Hutchinj, you aren't the only one who has been accosted via private message for expressing your views online about the way Ponant and Paul Gauguin have conducted themselves. You, me and I know of at least four or five others who have had to deal with the same. 

This is why Cruise Critic doesn't have the PM function.  We encourage members to use 'noms de screen' and not post their email – to protect your anonymity.

• 1 year later...
On 8/6/2018 at 8:52 AM, Hutchinj said:

Larro9, Number8, Cindivan -- Hope you all have a great time in your aft cabins aboard the Paul Gauguin. We will be preceding you in #767 on our cruise in July 2020. Will certainly post a detailed review here upon return.

Now we all have to suffer through the long wait until cruise time. I'm sure it will be worth it, though!

Can you  share your  review of cabin 767? thanks