Help First Time Alaska and last minute

Luvoceans

My parents that are seniors are going to an Alaska Cruise for the first time on Holland America. They arrive in Anchorage at 1:30 in the afternoon 3 nights before cruise, They do not want to rent a car. I was thinking maybe the Thursday and Friday in Anchorage and take the Early morning train to Seward Saturday Morning and spend one night in Seward. They are active so what are your suggestions for Hotels and Things to do in Anchorage and Seward before the cruise and transportation to the cruise etc. Thank you for all your help

I personally would spend less time in Anchorage and more time in Seward.

There is an early train to Seward and it is a beautiful, scenic, relaxing trip. Highly recommend it.

Once in Seward, they really won't need a car. There is plenty of things to do here to keep them busy.

They can hike to Exit Glacier, take a Kenai Fiords boat ride, Sealife Center, dog mushing (Ididaride/Seavey's). Seward is gorgeous! Easy, small town to get around.

Edited by Coral

I can't offer much for Anchorage, though we enjoyed dinner at Humpy's

In Seward we thoroughly enjoyed the Kenai Fjords tour. We had a gorgeous day and it was one of our favorite excursions of the trip.

We did the longer version with the Fox Island dinner and it was good. Not "OMG you gotta do this!" good, but worth the extra $18pp and we didn't have to find some place to eat after a long day.

http://www.kenaifjords.com/day-cruises/national-park-tour/

We were in Anchorage for several days in our RV years ago but I do remember it as a beautiful city. the Native Cultural Center was very good ...I can't remember if that is the same place that had the Musk Ox exhibit....maybe someone can help me remember. but I do remember that the program is one that helps Native women earn skills and a living by processing the musk ox fur into yarns which are made into the most soft and beautiful garments and scarves...the softest things ever. They are pricey but beautiful and something that will be enjoyed for a lifetime.

Also, in Anchorage there are probably public transport or ubers who can help. And ....every Alaska Bank has a free cultural museum...some are bigger and better than others but all are very interesting and free...at least when we were there. I think Anchorage is worth a day at least.....I don't know where they are getting on the ship but the ride along Turnigan Arm is fascinating...they have very powerful tides there, like they do in eastern Canada....and when we were there, there was still a lot of evidence of the earthquake from many years ago.

Hope this helps someone.

They are going to stay one night in Anchorage and take the train to Seward and spend two nights in Seaward ... Thanks everyone !

Good choice! Last month my wife and I spent a week in Alaska and Denali before a cruise from Seward and had a full day and a half in Anchorage. In a do-over, I'd get out of Anchorage as fast as I could. The Anchorage Museum is nice enough...but that's about 2 hours, there is so much more to do in Alaska than to waste time in Anchorage.

Good choice! Last month my wife and I spent a week in Alaska and Denali before a cruise from Seward and had a full day and a half in Anchorage. In a do-over, I'd get out of Anchorage as fast as I could. The Anchorage Museum is nice enough...but that's about 2 hours, there is so much more to do in Alaska than to waste time in Anchorage.

I agree. Seward is amazing.

If they are still undecided on what to do once they arrive Anchorage, have them stop by the Log Cabin Visitor Center on the corner of 4th Ave & F St. Also from that location there are several free shuttles that depart to the Zoo, Ulu Factory as well the shuttle that goes to the Anchorage Museum and Alaska Native Heritage Center. For 20 bucks there is a trolley tour that departs from there that travels around Anchorage, out to the airport/Earthquake Park with narration, about 1 hour long.

The Alaska Public Lands Information Center is across the street from the log cabin. They have free walking tours of downtown as well as presentations on various Alaska topics including wildlife, Denali, volcanoes, etc.

Much better that they will be 2 nights in Seward.

If they are still undecided on what to do once they arrive Anchorage, have them stop by the Log Cabin Visitor Center on the corner of 4th Ave & F St. Also from that location there are several free shuttles that depart to the Zoo, Ulu Factory as well the shuttle that goes to the Anchorage Museum and Alaska Native Heritage Center. For 20 bucks there is a trolley tour that departs from there that travels around Anchorage, out to the airport/Earthquake Park with narration, about 1 hour long.

The Alaska Public Lands Information Center is across the street from the log cabin. They have free walking tours of downtown as well as presentations on various Alaska topics including wildlife, Denali, volcanoes, etc.

Much better that they will be 2 nights in Seward.

Great input from a local!