More questions from HAL newbie

webecruzin2

Planning D8C 10 day (cruise first, 1 night Denali) for next year and we're a little confused about what's included.

I have to say that HAL's website makes Celebrity's look good [emoji6]

Are all transfers and hotels in Denali and Fairbanks included? And what am I doing wrong that I can't find this info on the website?

Would we be better off booking Denali on our own?

Would appreciate if any experienced HAL cruisers can steer me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance. [emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Planning D8C 10 day (cruise first, 1 night Denali) for next year and we're a little confused about what's included.

Are all transfers and hotels in Denali and Fairbanks included? Yes. And what am I doing wrong that I can't find this info on the website? Dunno, as I have no way of knowing exactly what you are doing.

Would we be better off booking Denali on our own? IMO no.

Would appreciate if any experienced HAL cruisers can steer me in the right direction.

See my responses in RED above.

Smooth sailing ...

Edited by avian777

Also, if you booked it a Land & Sea the hotels are definitely included, as well as the transportation from the ship to Denali and then the park to Fairbanks. Food is NOT included on land and your room on the ship does not translate as to a category of room on the land portion.

Are all transfers and hotels in Denali and Fairbanks included? And what am I doing wrong that I can't find this info on the website?

Would we be better off booking Denali on our own?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We just completed a 14 day HAL Sea-Land cruise Y2C. It maybe a little different than the cruise you are looking at. I did a review with pics on the main HAL CC thread a few weeks back. I discussed many aspects of our cruise which would apply towards your cruise also. Here is the link.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2380606

The hotels are all included. Hal handled all the luggage transfers. The only thing you had to do was put the luggage out in the hallway the morning of a transfer. While on land food is on your own or you can buy a Food voucher from HAL, not sure how much that would be on your cruise but ours was $1,300 for the 11 days while we were on land and included only breakfast and dinner. We did not buy it but did meals on our own.

The day before you get off the ship for the land portion you will get a package of info on where to meet and when to put your luggage out in the hall on the ship.

There is a PDF doc we got after booking that went into detail on the Land-Sea cruise. I have been looking for it on the HAL website but can't find it. I will keep looking and if I can find it will post a link later.

Finally found the Alaska Land+Sea tour tips document. Here is the link:

http://www.hollandamerica.com/assets//cruise-destinations/Tour_Tips.pdf

Hope this helps with answering questions. I did say in my review that one day in Denali is not really enough time to see the park. I would recommend looking at one of the cruises that stays there 2-3 days. There are pictures of our Tundra tour into the park in my review. If you have other questions please ask them and I will be happy to answer them.

My first reaction is "why bother". It's a long way from Seward to Denali, and to stay there a single night before going to Fairbanks doesn't give any time to enjoy the place.

Just my opinion, but if you want to see anything at Denali you need to be there at least two nights. I'd suggest looking at the double-Denali itineraries such as D5 or D6. See HAL's eBrochure at http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/hal/alaska2017_landandsea/?WT.ac=ebrochure_AlaskaYukon_2017_USD#/60

We did the D3C itinerary in June and had a fantastic experience. We were done with the Tundra Wilderness Tour in time to see the park service's sled dog demonstration and have time to enjoy the visitor center exhibits. We then had the entire following morning to do other things such as a ranger-led nature hike on the trails around the visitor center before getting on the bus for the three hour drive to Fairbanks.