“Live” – Alaska – Radiance of the Seas August 19, 2016 – Indecision Cruise

This is gonna be a nice Alaska Cruise blog. We only have one excursion booked for our next August Alaskan Cruise and it's w/ our small group of 6 w/ Harv & Marv. :) Looking forward to seeing some more ideas.

We just did Harv & Marv in July. You will enjoy. Hope your luck is as good as ours with a Humpback whale doing a full breach (totally out of the water) and several bubble feeding groups.

We did this cruise last summer (has it been a year already?), following a 3 night land tour, and absolutely loved it. Maybe after this, you'll change your mind about it being your one and only trip to Alaska. It was our second trip, and we'd love to go back again. Just so much to see.

Enjoy!

The wifi in the motel is extremely slow but I will have a few pictures posted from our drive as soon as I can.

Once we got here to Seward we stopped at the Gold Rush for lunch. Halibut tacos for Marie, halibut and fries for me.

b1a115d9a9cc83f79e90dce3c04f56eb.jpg

20834a8d2e8d7454df0aa19aa2279b13.jpg

3bbffbda3f5f0255160a9ee2a3581b63.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy S7 Edge using Tapatalk

Well it only took 2 1/2 hours but I managed to upload my meager 25 pictures.

We did get the opportunity to see much today as the weather did not cooperate. From Girdwood to Seward we had continual rain.

Our first stop was at Potte's Marsh Bird Sanctuary. The marsh is a rest area for migratory birds including trumpeter swans, rednecked grebes, golden eyes, and pintails. We mostly saw people but we did enjoy the walk on the boardwalk.

29057053365_ca95e4783c_b.jpg

29023996196_a02151d912_b.jpg

28439001423_f26c5c7fd2_b.jpg

29056817285_6cb01e5fbd_b.jpg

28770292270_06b38e7a5e_b.jpg

I got a little camera envy with this setup

28435495154_281fc02b49_b.jpg

The last place we stopped at before the rains set in was Bird Creek. We had not planned to stop here but as we passed we saw a lot of people fishing so we made a stop in hopes that some were catching along with fishing.

28434997164_9a2c7d1fce_b.jpg

29055962135_faa06c05d5_b.jpg

28769484560_18440a11bd_b.jpg

This was one of the anglers doing the catching.

28950574572_ef50fdb513_b.jpg

This one did some catching too.

29055766045_f695f16f3d_b.jpg

At least the morning was nice.

29022983256_734f6a6eaf_b.jpg

The place I picked for dinner was Thorn's Showcase Lounge, borderline dive but a great dive. Warning, you better like buttoned vinyl.

This is the home of the "bucket of butts". That's 30 pieces of halibut. Since Marie was having some other seafood dish I just got the conservative basket of butts.

Good food, good beer and early Pink Floyd on the sound system. Life is good.

b9a5ea64108216b88385843a7ab35b85.jpg

967f727bd92f5c4ebb2a7974bd7c6ac4.jpg

b8b16a967bb26957f80af395bf322657.jpg

f72cc60d6f0d6ea78ebfc81a7d6aef38.jpg

eea87898eae24c2c09bd6e19327ea95c.jpg

We just did Harv & Marv in July. You will enjoy. Hope your luck is as good as ours with a Humpback whale doing a full breach (totally out of the water) and several bubble feeding groups.

It would be great if we are that lucky to see one breaching. :)

Following along. Great start. We did same itinerary on Vision in 2005 and stayed two nights at Murphy's. Have Radiance booked for same itinerary next June. I really enjoyed your Panama Canal live report. We were on the eastbound after your trip. Your report gave us some good preparation hints. Have a wonderful time. I promise this is not your last Alaska cruise.

Books

When we cruise I like to bring books that in some way pertain to the locations we are going to. For our west coast cruises I had Armistead Maupin’s Tales of the City series about San Francisco. For the Panama Canal I had The Path Between the Seas by David McCullough and for Hawaii I read about the overthrow of the Hawaiian monarchy in The Last Aloha by Gaellen Quinn.

This time I went fictional with my choices. The first is called The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey.

28221282954_40fd0a4792_o.jpg

Alaska, 1920: a brutal place to homestead, and especially tough for recent arrivals Jack and Mabel. Childless, they are drifting apart--he breaking under the weight of the work of the farm; she crumbling from loneliness and despair. In a moment of levity during the season's first snowfall, they build a child out of snow. The next morning the snow child is gone--but they glimpse a young, blonde-haired girl running through the trees.

This little girl, who calls herself Faina, seems to be a child of the woods. She hunts with a red fox at her side, skims lightly across the snow, and somehow survives alone in the Alaskan wilderness. As Jack and Mabel struggle to understand this child who could have stepped from the pages of a fairy tale, they come to love her as their own daughter. But in this beautiful, violent place things are rarely as they appear, and what they eventually learn about Faina will transform all of them.

I started reading this one already and am about half way done. A bit strange but entertaining.

The second is titled Shadows on the Koyukuk: An Alaskan Native's Life Along the River, written by Jim Rearden.

28223612083_66df234035_o.jpg

“I owe Alaska. It gave me everything I have.” Says Sidney Huntington, son of an Athapaskan mother and white trader/trapper father. Growing up on the Koyukuk River in Alaska’s harsh Interior, that “everything” spans 78 years of tragedies and adventures. When his mother died suddenly, 5-year-old Huntington protected and cared for his younger brother and sister during two weeks of isolation. Later, as a teenager, he plied the wilderness traplines with his father, nearly freezing to death several times. One spring, he watched an ice-filled breakup flood sweep his family’s cabin and belongings away. These and many other episodes are the compelling background for the story of a man who learned the lessons of a land and culture, lessons that enabled him to prosper as trapper, boat builder, and fisherman.

This is more than one man's incredible tale of hardship and success in Alaska. It is also a tribute to the Athapaskan traditions and spiritual beliefs that enabled him and his ancestors to survive. His story, simply told, is a testament to the durability of Alaska's wild lands and to the strength of the people who inhabit them.

The Snow Child was a wonderful read IMHO....K.O.....Enjoy!:)

i LOVE that you choose literature to go along with your cruise journeys! I thought I was the only one who did that. I have several Alaska mysteries and am contemplating Michener's Alaska. But it's really long! I have a year before we sail, so I just may be able to accomplish it. I am adding your selections to my list.

Following along and already looking forward to reading more of your adventures!

The Snow Child was a wonderful read IMHO....K.O.....Enjoy!:)

i LOVE that you choose literature to go along with your cruise journeys! I thought I was the only one who did that. I have several Alaska mysteries and am contemplating Michener's Alaska. But it's really long! I have a year before we sail, so I just may be able to accomplish it. I am adding your selections to my list.

Following along and already looking forward to reading more of your adventures!

About 80 % done with the Snow Child and finding I am really enjoying it.