Free Mini Bar on Eclipse

simoncha

Onboard th Eclipse at the moment - enjoying the cruise but not the weather, although it is going to get warmer tomorrow :)

We received a message to our stateroom yesterday advising us that the minibar was now free for the duration of the cruise for premium drinks packages and that anyone wishing to upgrade to premium would also receive this perk as well. Checked with guest relations and they confirmed. Our room attendant didn't know when we spoke to him on the way to dinner but he found us this morning to say he had now been been informed.

I know we have all the drinks we need available to us around the ship - this just makes life that much simpler when looking for that little tiple - and the red in the mini bar looks rather nice.

I've never heard of this before but it's very welcome.

Simon & Debra

Thats great news, Thanks for sharing. Hope it will be fleetwide.

It did seem silly on our last cruise that we had to stop by a bar to get a bottle of water for the stateroom rather than be charged for the ones in the mini bar when we had the premium package!

Actually, I'm quite surprised to read this.

The reason the mini-bar wasn't included in the past was to keep people from "sharing" their package. There can be no control over the number of beverages taken from the mini-bar, and where they might end up.

Yes, it will be easier for those with the premium package who now won't need to stop at a bar and bring a drink back to the room for them. But this just doesn't make sense to me from a business point of view.

It might just be this cruise only. He did say they were having bad weather. Maybe if it's cold and rainy. Everyone is stuck in there cabin. Maybe as a Goodwill gesture Celebrity did this to make everyone feels just a little better.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Most people in this cruise would have a beverage package anyway I'd think (it's too early for EC's TA) so I'm not sure it would be a "feel good" measure by Celebrity. If Celebrity did this for Premium package holders it would be a nice upgrade to the program. I wonder could Host Andy confirm anything?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by JasYHZ

I am currently on the Eclipse and we have just left Tallinn, I can confirm that it is right regarding the mini bar, and the weather has been excellent except for yesterday in Copenhagen, where it was cold, wet and windy

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I am currently on the Eclipse and we have just left Tallinn, I can confirm that it is right regarding the mini bar, and the weather has been excellent except for yesterday in Copenhagen, where it was cold, wet and windy

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I think that's awesome. I wish we could get some official confirmation...

We received a message to our stateroom yesterday advising us that the minibar was now free for the duration of the cruise for premium drinks packages and that anyone wishing to upgrade to premium would also receive this perk as well. Checked with guest relations and they confirmed. Our room attendant didn't know when we spoke to him on the way to dinner but he found us this morning to say he had now been been informed.

Simon & Debra

Nice to know!

But this just doesn't make sense to me from a business point of view.

But why does it need to make sense to you?

Some will upgrade, some won't but it's nice to give premium drinks package holders the option.

There probably will be an element of sharing / theft but I would imagine that will be negligible. I don't recall seeing much premium brand booze in the mini bar either so costs won't be that high IMHO.

I disagree that the sharing/theft would be negligible. Perhaps so on this pricey European itinerary, but picture the same policy on the 3 and 4 night "booze cruise" itineraries to the Bahamas during spring break. One can even imagine people leaving the cruise with bags full of the minibar contents.

I disagree that the sharing/theft would be negligible. Perhaps so on this pricey European itinerary, but picture the same policy on the 3 and 4 night "booze cruise" itineraries to the Bahamas during spring break. One can even imagine people leaving the cruise with bags full of the minibar contents.

Depends how quick they're going to restock the minibar and with what

I know we're all individuals but would I personally take many drinks out of the mini bar if I had a premium drinks package already? Hmmmm I use it in for coffees, wine at dinner, martinis, cocktails in the world class bar, beers and a few glasses of decent scotch. I don't recall seeing decent scotch in the mini bar so to me it's a nice to have but realistically my alcohol consumption wouldn't increase very much.

As for those on the booze cruises at spring break week, well I wonder how many would have premium drinks packs? Wouldn't the bars be a much more fun place to drink than in your own cabin? And most importantly of all, it would be incredibly easy to manage by only replacing drinks where the stewards find empty bottles. If someone empties the mini bar and no empty bottles found, just don't restock it.

Three days worth of mini bar alcohol would barely fill a Walmart carrier bag too so I disagree that people would be walking off the ship with bags full of booze.

The reason the mini-bar wasn't included in the past was to keep people from "sharing" their package. There can be no control over the number of beverages taken from the mini-bar, and where they might end up.

Yes, it will be easier for those with the premium package who now won't need to stop at a bar and bring a drink back to the room for them. But this just doesn't make sense to me from a business point of view.

Doesn't make sense to me either. Not to mention the effort required for the housekeeping staff to keep track and fill the fridges back up.

This is an easy fix. The mini bar is only free if all occupants (over the age of 21) in the cabin purchase a premium package. Some will complain my other half doesn't drink and doesn't need a package so why am I being penalized by not being able to use the mini bar yada yada but it is what it is. You can not satisfy everyone.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 3 weeks later...

We are on the Eclipse Med Cruise at the moment and have just checked and as long as both people in the room are on premium package the minibar is free and restocked once a day. There are a couple of 1/2 bottles of wine that are over $15 so we are avoiding those.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Maybe so few people ever use the mini bar that it is the best way to get rid of all the old stock??:rolleyes:

This is exactly what I was thinking. I've always wondered how old some of that stuff is. I'm not sure I would eat/drink anything from in there, even if free.

Let's hope that SOMEONE either on board or Host Andy or Celebrity's official rep on here can confirm if this is the new official policy or a one-time customer service gesture.

"Host Andy" is no longer a Moderator for Cruise Critic. He is now the Social Media representative for Crystal Cruises and they got a really quality person. Hosts Anne and Walt now monitor the Celebrity board and I thank them for their efforts. Andy still posts as a regular member as "Andy".