What to bring

amydresh

What should be definite things that we bring off the ship with us at ports? I have heard to make sure you have your passport and then I have also heard to definitely leave it in your safe so it can't be stolen, but then you are stuck if you miss the boat. It will be my dh, myself, dd 16, ds 13, and ds 11. We are getting passports for ourselves and our daughter. We were only going to get them for ourselves but dd is probably going to be traveling to Mexico this coming year on a missions trip and will need one then. We aren't getting them for the boys because we need to save some money somewhere and that's what we decided to cut. Will we need their birth certificates at ports to get them back on the boat or do they not need anything for boarding? Also what do you put your stuff in? A backpack, crossbody purse, cinch sack backpack, beach bag? If you are a woman and bring a backpack or beach bag, do you also bring a purse? Our excursions are going to the beach in Jamaica, swimming with stingrays in Grand Cayman, and swimming with dolphins in Cozumel.

We are quite a ways out from our cruise but I am desperately trying to figure things out so I'm not scrambling closer to the date. I'm new to all of this, obviously. :o Thank you so much!

If you somehow miss the boat. You will be stuck for days. Need passports to fly either to meet the boat or home. Some ports you need passport or ID to get off the ship, enter other country, or get back on ship.

Passports I know it cost money to get and for chrildren they have to be renew faster then adults. But really are need in today's world. Then you don't have to take all the other stuff. Passports are ID for everything

Edited by jakeT

You can board the ship with only a photo ID and certified copy of your birth certificate. A plain photocopy of BC is not enough.

You do not need to take the BC on excursions but you'll want your photo ID and sign and sail card at least.

Taking passport off ship is personal preference but I've read that Carnival has procedure in place to get the contents of your safe to the port authority in the event you don't get back on the boat before it's ready to leave. Thankfully I haven't had to find that out yet.

Haven't cruised with young kids so not sure of all the requirements but i know there is an age cutoff for having photo ID (obviously the young ones won't have drivers licenses).

Don't stress! Plenty of time to get it all figured out and then enjoy a wonderful cruise. :)

You can board the ship with only a photo ID and certified copy of your birth certificate. A plain photocopy of BC is not enough.

According to Carnival: Birth Certification Information

The following are acceptable:

An original birth certificate issued by a government agency (state/county/city) or the Department of Health and Vital Statistics

A copy of a birth certificate issued by a government agency (state/county/city) or the Department of Health and Vital Statistics

A clear, legible copy of a birth certificate that was originally issued by a government agency (state/county/city) or the Department of Health and Vital Statistics. The copy does not need to be notarized or certified.

According to Carnival: Birth Certification Information

The following are acceptable:

An original birth certificate issued by a government agency (state/county/city) or the Department of Health and Vital Statistics

A copy of a birth certificate issued by a government agency (state/county/city) or the Department of Health and Vital Statistics

A clear, legible copy of a birth certificate that was originally issued by a government agency (state/county/city) or the Department of Health and Vital Statistics. The copy does not need to be notarized or certified.

Thanks! I hate giving out bad info. I was sure I read that it had to be certified but I am always happy to learn the right thing when I'd been thinking the wrong thing. One less worry for OP is always good.

Depends on how much stuff you're bringing. If it's an excursion where you'll be bringing towels and stuff a backpack or tote bag is your best bet so you don't have to carry anything. I put anything that would normally go in my purse in there as well. If it's a port where you're just doing some sight seeing I prefer a cross body. Light and hands free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We took a largish canvas tote bag for towels, dry clothes, lotions and such. DW did not bring her purse. I wore shorts with lots of pockets for phone, little camera, ID, some cash and such. For days with water activities I wore water shoes and brought flip flops in the tote bag. We also sometimes used waterproof pouches to carry phone and ID in depending on the activity.

One thing I discovered is that water shoes imply you don't need socks but the first time I wore them sand got in and it was like walking in sand paper. Rather excruciating. I wore short socks after that. MUCH better. Don't know if I just got crummy shoes or completely misunderstood their function but I'm wearing socks from here on out if I have to have the shoes. (Ordinarily I wear flip flops everywhere but work but some excursions require closed toe shoes and some beaches are rocky)

My husband carries a back pack on excursions. It holds our towels, lotions...that kind of stuff.

If we are shopping, I carry a cross body purse with money and cards. Otherwise...he puts cash in the backpack or a shorts pocket.

I have a waterproof bag for my phone, which I use as a camera so I want to keep it with me.

We try to pack as light as possible for excursions because I hate to carry stuff around all day or try and keep up with it.

Some beaches and excursions will have lockers that you can rent to keep stuff in. That is always handy!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I have all our ID's, one credit card, our ship cards, and any cash we need for the day in a waterproof waist pack that I can wear while snorkeling. I usually leave it in the backpack DH carries, but just in case, it's nice to have it available to go in the water. If it's a beach day, I put my Kindle in a gallon ziploc to keep it dry and sand-free, and I use it like that just fine. Towels, sunscreen, water bottles all go in the backpack. We usually carry some granola bars too, but often don't eat them. Don't forget any printed info you need for excursions. We have really tried to pare down what we take off the ship, because it's usually HOT and we end up not needing much anyway.

I pretty much carry everything in my beach bag with a towel, sunscreen, camera, phone, and a book or something to occupy my time while lounging on the beach. I also keep a small wristlet inside of the beach bag to keep my sail and sign card and cash in. My passport comes with me...I prefer it that way and too, I can't get it stamped at the ports if it's stuck in a safe. ;)

I pretty much carry everything in my beach bag with a towel, sunscreen, camera, phone, and a book or something to occupy my time while lounging on the beach. I also keep a small wristlet inside of the beach bag to keep my sail and sign card and cash in. My passport comes with me...I prefer it that way and too, I can't get it stamped at the ports if it's stuck in a safe. ;)

That makes sense, good tip, I wouldn't have thought of that!

I use a rolling backpack. Might have to carry it in sand or gravel but after a long day off on excursion, its great to be able to jump out of the taxi and plop it on the ground and roll it down the long pier to the ship! And those Carnival beach towels get very, very heavy once they are wet!

Husband and I both take a backpack. In the backpack we'll have our Carnival Beach towels, bottled water, sunscreen, sometimes prepackaged snacks, and maybe some miscellaneous items like Kleenex or handi-wipes ,swim shoes and bug spray if necessary. I also put a plastic bag in the backpack to put the wet towel in for the return trip. Sometimes a change of clothes or just a beach coverup.

In addition I bring a small wristlet with cash, maybe a credit card, S&S card and DL. That way I can take the wristlet out and carry it if I decide to shop on the way back and it's not a hassle digging through the backpack for cash. We leave the passports on the ship in the safe knowing that should something happen that Carnival will have security open the safe and deliver the passports to the port agent. We also bring a copy of the Funtimes because on the front cover Carnival will list the name and phone number of the port agent who is the contact person you need to notify in case you encounter an issue on land that could delay your return to the ship.

I found this awesome backpack at Goodwill. It's a crossbody strap and very lightweight. I take it to every port..it's my beach bag and purse. I have my ID(including passport), any beach stuff, a coverup, towel, band aids, spf. Anything else depends on the excursion.

Oh and the stingrays in Grand Cayman was literally the best day of my life. It was absolutely amazing and overwhelming at the same time. All time favorite excursion!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That makes sense, good tip, I wouldn't have thought of that!

On that topic of you want your passport stamped you have to ask. At least at the ports I've been to its not automatic. They've always been more than happy to do it (or direct is to where to get it done) it's just not something they do automatically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ask any crew member if they take a passport ashore and they will tell you "no," unless it is a country that requires it. Think you may miss the ship getting back. Call the ship's port agent (listed on your daily activity sheet) for that or any other ship related problem on land. They'll have your passport after the ship has left without you.

Never put valuables in a backpack. Nor should you carry them in an easily accessible pocket. The best pickpockets also carry a razor blade to slit material and let gravity do the work.

A pacsafe purse (reinforced with lightweight Kevlar in strap and bag) is best for women. A good bet for men is a belt suspended wallet worn inside the pants waist.

For excursions, you need only carry your ship card, a photo ID (a GOES card is great for this since it doesn't ID your home address) and credit card (if you'll be shopping) along with some local cash (easily obtained through most banks at home - carry enough to get you to an ATM if you need more). I carry my iphone (with AT&T international plan) and, if going to beach or snorkeling (without excursion), I carry it in a small waterproof neck or waist container (obtainable at any dive shop).

BTW, one poster suggested taking a passport ashore just to get it "stamped." It is not a souvenir book and a very picky CBP agent at home could give you a hard time for unofficial/invalid "souvenir" stamps you've acquired on your trip.

Remember too that, if you ever choose to cruise on premium or luxury lines, most of them require that ALL passengers on ALL itineraries present (and often surrender) a valid passport at embarkation. This is a far better procedure for all the obvious reasons.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

Ask any crew member if they take a passport ashore and they will tell you "no," unless it is a country that requires it. Think you may miss the ship getting back. Call the ship's port agent (listed on your daily activity sheet) for that or any other ship related problem on land. They'll have your passport after the ship has left without you.

Never put valuables in a backpack. Nor should you carry them in an easily accessible pocket. The best pickpockets also carry a razor blade to slit material and let gravity do the work.

A pacsafe purse (reinforced with lightweight Kevlar in strap and bag) is best for women. A good bet for men is a belt suspended wallet worn inside the pants waist.

For excursions, you need only carry your ship card, a photo ID (a GOES card is great for this since it doesn't ID your home address) and credit card (if you'll be shopping) along with some local cash (easily obtained through most banks at home - carry enough to get you to an ATM if you need more). I carry my iphone (with AT&T international plan) and, if going to beach or snorkeling (without excursion), I carry it in a small waterproof neck or waist container (obtainable at any dive shop).

BTW, one poster suggested taking a passport ashore just to get it "stamped." It is not a souvenir book and a very picky CBP agent at home could give you a hard time for unofficial/invalid "souvenir" stamps you've acquired on your trip.

Remember too that, if you ever choose to cruise on premium or luxury lines, most of them require that ALL passengers on ALL itineraries present (and often surrender) a valid passport at embarkation. This is a far better procedure for all the obvious reasons.

Eh, I'm not too worried about someone trying to slit open my backpack...a) I am sure I would feel stuff falling out and hitting my legs or else hearing it hit the ground or feel some sort of tugging, b) I could feel that the backpack is suddenly getting lighter, and c) I have several pockets in my backpack that do not go all the way to the bottom and there is no way that slitting the bottom of the bag those items in there would fall out. If I was worried, I could just make sure that anything valuable was in the shorter pockets on the inside of the backpack.