travel ins & FCC-work around pre existing Help

beauty1492

travel ins & FCC -- work around--I don't know if it is a new rule OR new to me. but pre existing condition clause is really something. I read something on the web about changes in travel insurance industry. So when I was ready to book and buy insurance--I asked the question--I was told when you buy the FCC --you have to buy travel insurance within 10days for the pre exciting condition to be waived..

So to recap ---the travel insurance goes by the first date you make any payment if you use FCC that is first payment --the date purchase of the FCC. So I was told you would have only 10 days from buying the FCC to purchase the travel insurance to cover the preexisting conditions. and my question was how do I know where or when I'm going? I talked to 4 different companys including Princess insurance and the answer was the same--- we go by the first purchase date for pre existing condition. the FCC date-

So my question was--the whole idea of FCC is Future and we haven't plan trip yet????

2 different agents (Yes one was Princess) said buy the policy with FCC and edit later. Or book then have the FCC applied after booking but doesn't that defeat the propose of FCC?

So for this trip DH wanted the insurance So the insurance I was going to buy for this trip went from $180 to $270 for the same coverage to cover preexisting conditions. and it was not bought within 10 days of first payment. The FCC was dated Nov 2014

So all you savvy cruisers ??? anyone got a work around for the next time? I more FCC in the drawer ready to use.

Edited by beauty1492

Never heard of it either.

If Princess told you this did they reference the section in the insurance policy?

If a Princess agent told you this that would be strange since they usually don't comment on insurance coverage. :confused:

What ins did you end up buying?

I don't buy Princess ins until the day of final payment.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

I always use FCCs, and I have had to cancel many cruises. the day that counts is the day you first book THE CRUISE. that is the day you say yes to insurance, even though you do not pay for it til final payment date. It does not matter when you purchased the FCC's, only the date when you put them down as deposit on the cruise in question.

There are 3rd party insurance policies that allow you to purchase coverage for pre-existing conditions at final payment. Nationwide and CSA come to mind. I'm not saying they would be less expensive - only that they give you another choice for getting coverage if you don't buy it at initial deposit.

It is pretty common for people to insure only the deposit to lock in coverage, and add to the policy when new costs are incurred such as air fare or non-refundable hotels. It is just that most people don't think of FCC as a deposit.

Yes I was told by Princess insurance because I asked the question-- would pre exciting condition be covered if I buy your insurance knowing I used a FCC. The answer was and they did checking and read to me the policies stating for pre exciting condition the policy must be bought within 10 days of deposit the first date of ANY payment toward the trip. And she said the date of FCC was the date the insurance would use if I needed to use the policy.

So yes I did you Nationwide for this trip.

I generally use the trip insurance store and was told by them last year that the FCD is not considered purchasing your cruise because you haven't booked one yet. Recently I was looking at their website (I think) and saw something that said it IS considered purchasing your cruise. Sounds to me like insurance companies have changed things.

What surprises me is Princess. I thought that it covers pre existing conditions and you don't have to purchase til final payment. Sounds to me the rep did not know their info.

I'm curious about the other comapnies that also said they go by the date of first payment, in this case, the date you bought the FCC. Did they indicate they would insure the FCC as an initial deposit.?

I'm asking because I've read the terms and conditons of several policies that will not recognize a credit or a gift card as a form of payment. They insure against cash losses so if you have to cancel, you don't get reimbursed for the value of the credit or gift card. I wouldn't expect them to to insure it as a deposit if they don't recognize it as a payment.

Couple of comments on the above:

-Princess insurance has no waiver of any pre-existing conditions (which is usually the point of buying insurance within a certain amount of time after making a first deposit on a trip.). So when you purchase the insurance (Princess) only matters as to what has happened in the 60 days prior to purchase. You cannot purchase it after making a deposit and get any waivers.

-Third party policies may or may not count the purchase of the FCD as first payment; the reliable ones do not until the FCD has been applied to a specific booking. Booking date is considered first payment.

-Several major third party policies allow you to pay for your insurance incrementally without losing your PEC waiver. Just increase your coverage within the time limit every time you purchase more for your trip.

-Note the conditions for PEC waivers; generally you must meet a time limit after first (and subsequent) payments AND insure the full cost of your trip. If you do not need or want PEC waivers, you can purchase the insurance any time it is convenient, and for as much or as little coverage as you choose.

Babr, FCDs are treated as cash because they are fully refundable and show as a cash payment when you make a deposit with them on a cruise. Cruise credits however, such as goodwill credit, are not ever refundable as cash, and do not show on an invoice as a cash payment. The total due includes the reduced amount, but the credit itself does not show as payment towards your fare. (I only know this because I am looking at one such booking confirmation right now).

I do think the key factor is whether the payment form (FCD, credit, points, etc.) can ever be turned into the same value in cash. As far as I know, only FCDs have that.

Edited by cherylandtk

Yes I was told by Princess insurance because I asked the question-- would pre exciting condition be covered if I buy your insurance knowing I used a FCC. The answer was and they did checking and read to me the policies stating for pre exciting condition the policy must be bought within 10 days of deposit the first date of ANY payment toward the trip. And she said the date of FCC was the date the insurance would use if I needed to use the policy.

So yes I did you Nationwide for this trip.

OK. Princess has a 60 day look back period regardless of when you pay for the insurance. This 10 day rule applies to other insurance but not Princess. Even if you pay for insurance as soon as you book you have to have had no change in a pre-existing condition or medication for that condition.

Makes no sense on how you can purchase insurance when only getting the FCC:confused:. You have no trip dates or cost of cruise to insure when applying:confused:

I guess you just have to purchase insurance for a value of $100.

Makes me wonder what date they would use if you used a gift card to book a cruise. The date that the gift card was purchased? Or the date the cruise was booked?

Makes no sense on how you can purchase insurance when only getting the FCC:confused:. You have no trip dates or cost of cruise to insure when applying:confused:

I guess you just have to purchase insurance for a value of $100.

Got that :Dbut just wondering what travel dates do you use when purchasing the insurance if you have no cruise booked:confused:.

Edited by Happy2cruise

I quess the trick is to determine which companies do not count the FCC until it is applied to a specific booking. You'd need to know that before purchasing the FCC; otherwise, you'd have to scramble to find one in time or you'd have to purchase a policy that allows a waiver at final payment if a pre-existing condition exists or develops between the time of booking and time of final payment.

As if finding the right policy weren't hard enough already!

Makes me wonder what date they would use if you used a gift card to book a cruise. The date that the gift card was purchased? Or the date the cruise was booked?

Maybe this will help ... we generally buy Travel Guard and insure our costs as we pay them, deposit, airline, final cruise payment, etc. For our upcoming cruise we are paying our cruise fare, except deposit, with gift cards we bought at 10 percent discount over the past several months.

My questions to Travel Guard:

When must I add the gift cards to the insurance coverage? When I buy them or when I apply them to the cruise fare? ... I was told I should add them to the insured trip cost when I apply them for payment.

Do I insure the value of the gift card, or the reduced price I paid for them? Travel Guard rep said I could insure what I paid, rather than the card's face value. Important to keep a good paper trail, so I scan the relevant orders and credit card statements to prove what I did when, and how much I paid for the cards vs how much I applied to the cruise fare.

For every third-party insurer I'm aware of the date the clock starts running on the 10-day (or whatever) period to be eligible for the waiver of the pre-existing condition waiver is the date the FCC is applied to a specific sailing. This means when you heave chosen a specific ship and sailing date and a spot on the ship is being held for you. The date you purchased the FCC is irrelevant.

For every third-party insurer I'm aware of the date the clock starts running on the 10-day (or whatever) period to be eligible for the waiver of the pre-existing condition waiver is the date the FCC is applied to a specific sailing. This means when you heave chosen a specific ship and sailing date and a spot on the ship is being held for you. The date you purchased the FCC is irrelevant.

That is what we have always been told and it makes sense,at least to me:D

thanks for everyone input. Seems to me the travel insurance is getting harder and harder to figure out. When I talked to Princess they gave me a number to talk directly with their insurance company that covers their insurance. So when I said Princess I meant their insurance company.