Royal Caribbean drink packages.

We are sailing on Voyager from Sydney in November and are debating about drink packages. A couple of questions -

The cruise planner currently shows a 20% discount on all packages - I believe I have read somewhere that 18% gratuity will be added on at the checkout stage of purchasing the packages thus making the discount only 2% !! Is this the case ???

What is the limit for say a glass of wine $12 or $15 ???

Another poster has asked for current drink prices - we will be interested in this - hoping someone has some !!!

This is our first time on Royal Caribbean after several cruises on Celebrity.

18% is added at checkout for gratuities.

There has been difference in 'discount' lately. If the Select is approx $42 aud and Premium approx $52 aud - then these are discounted and you should buy now (they are not usually discounted on board).

I think at the moment, for wines by the glass the Select package limit is $9 usd, and Premium/Ultimate package limit is $12 usd. If you ordered a more expensive glass you pay the couple of dollars difference.

18% is added at checkout for gratuities.

There has been difference in 'discount' lately. If the Select is approx $42 aud and Premium approx $52 aud - then these are discounted and you should buy now (they are not usually discounted on board).

I think at the moment, for wines by the glass the Select package limit is $9 usd, and Premium/Ultimate package limit is $12 usd. If you ordered a more expensive glass you pay the couple of dollars difference.

Thanks Amy

Select is quoted as $52 aud, Premium $69 aud and Ultimate $77 aud then 20% off plus 18% grat. Is the cocktail limit $12 too ??

I've never seen drink packages discounted onboard so I would recommend purchasing online before hand if you're considering it.

I was the one that posted about drink menus and will be sure to let you know if I find some.

Our last two big cruises have been on Celebrity Cruises where we had the drink packages included, so just want to view some menus and work out if the drink packages work out worthwhile for us.

Yes you are correct that in effect, there ends up being only a 2% discount from the listed price (because the listed price doesn't include the 18%).

Also, each ship charges a different amount for their packages, making it hard to compare prices. Everyone else is correct in their answers regarding the price limits and the sale not being available onboard.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes you are correct that in effect, there ends up being only a 2% discount from the listed price (because the listed price doesn't include the 18%).

Also, each ship charges a different amount for their packages, making it hard to compare prices. Everyone else is correct in their answers regarding the price limits and the sale not being available onboard.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When logged in to your cruise planner online and viewing the drink packages that can be purchased, it says that:

Gratuity has already been included in the price of each package.

Just worth checking when you're logged in to your booking in case yours is different, however for my cruise it's definitely included and definitely discounted 20%.

Edited by LuckiePuris

I've never seen drink packages discounted onboard so I would recommend purchasing online before hand if you're considering it.

I was the one that posted about drink menus and will be sure to let you know if I find some.

Our last two big cruises have been on Celebrity Cruises where we had the drink packages included, so just want to view some menus and work out if the drink packages work out worthwhile for us.

Thanks LuckiePuris. Our last cruise was on Celebrity where we had an included package.We did tend to drink a little more than we normally would have !! Looking forward to seeing some menus to help with our decision.

When logged in to your cruise planner online and viewing the drink packages that can be purchased, it says that:

Just worth checking when you're logged in to your booking in case yours is different, however for my cruise it's definitely included and definitely discounted 20%.

I will check that out later today !! Maybe do a dummy booking !! Thanks once again.

That would be a semantic thing though, as you would then still need to add the gratuity cost on the original cost.

i.e. whether you say it's a 2% discount from the base price + an 18% discount of the gratuities, or just say a 20% discount off the total price, it's still the same discount from the total in the end.

Yes - got to that spot today - but still not game to complete transaction without a bit more info on menus - hopefully someone will post soon !!

Thanks LuckiePuris. Our last cruise was on Celebrity where we had an included package.We did tend to drink a little more than we normally would have !! Looking forward to seeing some menus to help with our decision.

Yes we are the same! We drank a bit more on Celebrity because it was included but just now deciding if it's worth buying the package.

I found this link online for drink menus, for non Australian cruises.

http://www.cruisewithgambee.com/royal-caribbean-drink/

So I would recommend adding $1-$2 on top of this menu price, to give you an idea of what the menus will be for Australian cruises, as Australian drink menus include gratuities.

Etc roughly a $12US drink is $14US. Roughly only to give you an idea.

Work out how much you would spend on drinks for your cruise, in US dollars, adding approx $1-$2 on top of each drink price. Then convert this amount to AUD.

Now compare this amount of how much you'd spend on drinks, to the cost of the package.

The drink packages are currently discounted when you log in to your cruise personaliser. The price here is in AUD and there is no extra tipping on top of the drink package price.

Hope this helps.

Edited by LuckiePuris

Yes we are the same! We drank a bit more on Celebrity because it was included but just now deciding if it's worth buying the package.

I found this link online for drink menus, for non Australian cruises.

http://www.cruisewithgambee.com/royal-caribbean-drink/

So I would recommend adding $1-$2 on top of this menu price, to give you an idea of what the menus will be for Australian cruises, as Australian drink menus include gratuities.

Etc roughly a $12US drink is $14US. Roughly only to give you an idea.

Work out how much you would spend on drinks for your cruise, in US dollars, adding approx $1-$2 on top of each drink price. Then convert this amount to AUD.

Now compare this amount of how much you'd spend on drinks, to the cost of the package.

The drink packages are currently discounted when you log in to your cruise personaliser. The price here is in AUD and there is no extra tipping on top of the drink package price.

Hope this helps.

Thanks so much for this LuckiePuris.

Thanks so much for this LuckiePuris.

No worries at all :)

From my research, I believe for cruises from Australia with the higher priced menus, the per glass limit for wines and cocktails is US$14 per drink (based on the menus in the link I posted, this would include the drinks price up to US$12).

It includes most beers, except some premiums ones which are indicated on the menu as not included with an asterix.

If you wish to purchase a wine or cocktail over the US$14 limit, you pay just the difference.

Hope this helps.

With the drinks package Do both people in the cabin have to purchase ? ( I know you can't share but what if only one person in the cabin drinks?)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think so. It would not make sense if one partner was a non-drinker. I think that in the past all in the cabin had to buy one but not now.

With the drinks package Do both people in the cabin have to purchase ? ( I know you can't share but what if only one person in the cabin drinks?)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think so. It would not make sense if one partner was a non-drinker. I think that in the past all in the cabin had to buy one but not now.

Previously all passengers had to buy the packages, however now even just one passenger can purchase the package.

I will check that out later today !! Maybe do a dummy booking !! Thanks once again.

Interesting - for some reason (wrong!!) I thought the 20% discount would come off the total at the end - ie. $69.05 (Premium Package) aud would become approx $55.25 aud. When I did a further dummy booking the total quoted was $1519.18 for two people. This made the amount charged $69.05 per person per day (11). So - under normal circumstances with no discount a Premium Package would be approx $82.85 aud !!! Also, on the 11th day - disembarkation day - I'm sure no-one will drink very much at all !!

Mmmmm at this stage very much leaning towards NO drink package !!

Interesting - for some reason (wrong!!) I thought the 20% discount would come off the total at the end - ie. $69.05 (Premium Package) aud would become approx $55.25 aud. When I did a further dummy booking the total quoted was $1519.18 for two people. This made the amount charged $69.05 per person per day (11). So - under normal circumstances with no discount a Premium Package would be approx $82.85 aud !!! Also, on the 11th day - disembarkation day - I'm sure no-one will drink very much at all !!

Mmmmm at this stage very much leaning towards NO drink package !!

I don't believe it counts disembarkation day.

Hi All,

Just FYI if you hadn't seen - the RC packages are changing http://boards.cruisecritic.com.au/showthread.php?t=2398315

(see post 6)

So if you are like me and have purchased a premium package, you will get upgraded to the Deluxe (previously called Ultimate) for free!

If you have already purchased the Ultimate, you might want to cancel and get your $$ back, and purchase a Premium ASAP - starts 6 September (US time I assume).

Happy cruising :)