World Wildlife Fund and Azamara - together working to protect oceans

BBMacLaird

We have a new partnership with the World Wildlife Fund (WWF) to protect and conserve the oceans.

On various upcoming voyages we will be featuring WWF Guest Speakers.

Check out the line-up so far at: https://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/WWFSpeakers

(Note: Be sure to swipe to the left and right to see the various speakers and sailing dates. That stumped me at first!)

1494228337_WWFspeakernilangajayasinghe.jpg.7979c996a41d7f72557f97e142fb32e2.jpg

More will be uploaded as they are confirmed. Looks like right now they've uploaded only the Journey's.

No, the November 11, 2016 West Indies voyage is on Quest, not Journey. It's an error on the web page. Journey is on the other side of the world from the West Indies.

No, the November 11, 2016 West Indies voyage is on Quest, not Journey. It's an error on the web page. Journey is on the other side of the world from the West Indies.

We should hire you as our proof-reader! Do you know how many "set of eyes" looked over this, including mine?!

Thanks for letting me know, marinaro44.

Monday, 9am Miami time...it is fixed. Thanks again, Marinaro44!

• 3 weeks later...

The press is liking our partnership with the World Wildlife Fund and onboard lectures as much as we are! Here's something published today...

Azamara Partners With World Wildlife Fund for Lectures

by Kayla Becker | September 16, 2016

Azamara Club Cruises is expanding their partnership with the World Wildlife Fund with a guest speaker series starting this fall. The series will bring experts on board Azamara Journey and Azamara Quest on select sailing form November to March, with lectures focusing on wildlife and ocean conservation as well as sustainable practices.

The six WWF experts included in the series study everything from Asian tigers and elephants to marine turtles and humpback whales as well as climate change, with lectures tailored to the destination. For example, a cruise through India will feature an expert on Asian animals while the Southern Caribbean itinerary will host an expert on coral reefs and sea turtles. Other cruises will visit Thailand, Australia, New Zealand, and Costa Rica."

We have a new partnership with the World Wildlife Fund (WWF) to protect and conserve the oceans.

On various upcoming voyages we will be featuring WWF Guest Speakers.

Check out the line-up so far at: https://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/WWFSpeakers

Bonnie,

This is a wonderful initiative.

I followed the link you posted, and see that there is a WWF speaker scheduled on the Feb 19, 2017 Journey voyage (Sydney to Auckland).

If the AZ prime who is coordinating the WWF partnership is still looking for a speaker for the preceding voyage (Feb 1st, Singapore to Sydney), an excellent topic would be the health and welfare of the Great Barrier Reef.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/jun/07/the-great-barrier-reef-a-catastrophe-laid-bare

It's a topic of keen interest at the WWF. Possible WWF Guest Speakers include Nick Heath and Richard Leck. Perhaps you could pass this up the CoC:-)

Cheers.

Bonnie,

This is a wonderful initiative.

I followed the link you posted, and see that there is a WWF speaker scheduled on the Feb 19, 2017 Journey voyage (Sydney to Auckland).

If the AZ prime who is coordinating the WWF partnership is still looking for a speaker for the preceding voyage (Feb 1st, Singapore to Sydney), an excellent topic would be the health and welfare of the Great Barrier Reef.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/jun/07/the-great-barrier-reef-a-catastrophe-laid-bare

It's a topic of keen interest at the WWF. Possible WWF Guest Speakers include Nick Heath and Richard Leck. Perhaps you could pass this up the CoC:-)

Cheers.

Thanks screen gem. I love this new program as well.

I've sent your suggestion to the very top of the CoC :)

Do you know of any concrete plans regarding the ships being more eco friendly?

I have had 2 cruises on Azamara. I wish that the ship would hand out with the tote bags refillable water bottles. The amount of plastic waste generated by the thousands of water bottles handed out is appalling. Perhaps there could be a refill station or two on the ship.

The sail by St Mark's in Venice is stunning but controversial. There are ecological issues but the locals also have a well founded fear of a ship losing control and smashing into it. Just recently a Carnival cruise ship damaged a local marina in Messina. We don't really "need" to approach the berthing from that channel. We will all get to the square by ourselves. Would Azamara and Royal Caribbean take a leadership stance in the industry?

Edited by MNgardens

Hello MNgardens,

Two interesting and relevant topics, but since this thread's topic is Azamara's new partnership with the World Wildlife Fund and upcoming onboard speakers who will share their expertise with our Guests, would you mind starting one (or two) new threads? I'll be happy to discuss your concerns to the best of my abilities.

My questions were sparked by reading a passage from one of your links:

TURNING THE TIDE.

Our mission is to protect and conserve one of the world’s most precious resources—the ocean. We will strive to reduce the company’s environmental footprint, further ocean conservation, help ocean life thrive, and engage the global community to raise awareness about the importance of ocean and environmental conservation. Through our sustainability goals of reducing greenhouse gas emissions, sourcing sustainable seafood, and destination stewardship, we aim to keep the world’s oceans clean and safe for generations of future Azamara passengers.

https://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/why-azamara/world-wildlife-fund#block-block-122

The title of the thread was not about the speaker; the title of the thread was about working together to protect the oceans.

It is fine with me if you want to have the question moved. I actually am really pleased that Azamara wants to become a more ecosensitve company.

• 5 months later...

@Bonnie,

We're just back from 33 wonderful days on the Journey (B2B from Singapore to Sydney to Auckland). I'm writing to applaud RCCL and Azamara on the WWF initiative. We were fortunate to have a WWF Guest Speaker on the second leg: Dr. Sybille Klenzendorf, from the WWF Wildlife division. She's an excellent speaker, and her four presentations were one of the highlights of the cruise! (the AzAmazing evening in Hobart was pretty good too:-). In fact, I can say that her lectures were the best enrichment programme I've ever experienced on-board anywhere.

In addition to the four lectures, she also held a number of informal chit-chats over coffee in the Mosaic Cafe, which were well attended. We learned that while on board she was also engaging with the staff and crew, raising general awareness on ecological issues, and identifying ways in which Azamara can be even more environmentally responsible.

So kudos to your corporate masters for embarking on the partnership with WWF (and making a not- insignificant charitable donation). Please pass this feedback up the COC. I hope you can encourage them to secure more WWF speakers on future itineraries. In particular, getting someone from WWF Australia for next year's voyage through the Great Barrier Reef (Journey, Mar 7, 2018) would be very appropriate.

Hi screen-gem,

Thank you SO much for the feedback on our new WWF program...corporate sponsorship that includes on-board speakers.

I too am very excited about this relationship.

I will share your feedback today with our COC. (y)

• 1 month later...

@Bonnie,

Could you drop a line to your webmistress (or pass it up the CoC) and suggest that the web page re the WWF lectures be updated. It's here:

https://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/fi/discover/why-azamara/boutique-hotels-sea/world-wildlife-fund

As of April 22, 2017, it only lists two WWF lectures:

- one by Sybille on the Journey, Feb 19th to March 6, 2017

- one by Nicky on the Quest, Feb 21 to March 10, 2017.

Those dates have come and gone.

It's sloppy to not keep the web page up to date. It looks like no one is paying attention.

At a bare minimum, they could easily change a couple of words and convert those two announcements into past tense.

Better yet, they should update the web page with names & dates of the upcoming WWF speakers. Early feedback on the initiative was quite positive. You don't want to lose the momentum. Unless of course, the partnership has withered, in which case it would be best to have those out-of-date web pages fade to black. I sure hope that's not the case - Sybille's lectures on the Journey were the best enrichment presentations I've ever attended.

I'm on this screen-gem! I noticed the same early this morning while I was thinking about it being Earth Day.

Rest assured the partnership is as strong as ever. I know there are two WWF speakers scheduled for August sailings. We will get the website updated asap.

Thanks for your interest and support in our partnership.

• 1 year later...

@Bonnie,

After a two-year hiatus, we are returning to Azamara (on the 28 May 2019 sailing of the Pursuit).

What's happened to the WWF partnership?  There don't appear to be any speakers listed for 2019 (or beyond):

WWF on Azamara

Azamara partners with WWF

Did the powers that be decide to abandon the joint Azamara-WWF initiative? That would be a shame.  Please tell me that the 2019 Guest Speaker roster will be posted soon:-)

On the other hand, if the program really is dead, it might be best to remove the page from the website.

BTW, I am so pleased to see are you are still omni-present here on the AZ forum. You are a tremendous asset to the Azamara brand, and to all its loyal customers.

19 hours ago, screen-gem said:

@Bonnie,

After a two-year hiatus, we are returning to Azamara (on the 28 May 2019 sailing of the Pursuit).

What's happened to the WWF partnership?  There don't appear to be any speakers listed for 2019 (or beyond):

WWF on Azamara

Did the powers that be decide to abandon the joint Azamara-WWF initiative? That would be a shame.  Please tell me that the 2019 Guest Speaker roster will be posted soon:-)

On the other hand, if the program really is dead, it might be best to remove the page from the website.

BTW, I am so pleased to see are you are still omni-present here on the AZ forum. You are a tremendous asset to the Azamara brand, and to all its loyal customers.

Hi Screen-Gem,

AFAIK the WWF program is as strong as ever! I've just sent an email to our inside manager to see when the 2019 onboard speakers will be listed on our website. Thanks for pointing out that they are all 2018!

19 hours ago, screen-gem said:

@Bonnie,

WWF on Azamara

WWF's Mariano Aguas was a speaker on the recent Pursuit cruise to Antarctica.

Bonnie,

That is great news.  I will watch the schedule, and keep fingers crossed that there will be a WWF speaker on the May 28 sailing of the Pursuit.  (the speaker on the Journey two years ago gave one of the best enrichment programmes I've ever had the pleasure to attend!)

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/19/2019 at 3:34 PM, BBMacLaird said:

AFAIK the WWF program is as strong as ever! I've just sent an email to our inside manager to see when the 2019 onboard speakers will be listed on our website. Thanks for pointing out that they are all 2018!

Bonnie,

Could you poke your "inside manager", or perhaps the "manager--of-the-inside-manager", and point out that the WWF webpage still lists the 2018 speakers. It has not been updated with any 2019 speakers, if in fact there are any.  Perhaps the program has been put on hiatus.

Thanks.