Cruise Critic Community

Hi Kristin,

My husband and I have done 2 river cruises with AMA Waterways and loved them. We are considering the Douro River for 2017. We've never been to Portugal and only Barcelona in Spain.

I've heard that the excursions on this cruise require a lot of bus rides.

What can you tell me about the excursions and any other information about this region that will be helpful.

I am hoping to take advantage of the special promo for either reduced airfare or stateroom bonus.

Suggestions from others who have done the Douro River are welcome, too!

Thank you!

Bobbie

Hi, Bobbie -- I'll chime in here to say the Douro is an incredible cruise. You're right -- because there's not a lot of development right on the river (save for Porto, which is just amazing), there are more bus rides. Every stop we made, though was so interesting and often we'd trek (by bus not foot) up these amazing mountains and the views of the countryside across and below, on the river, were great. Special.

On our trip on the Douro, which we did with Ama, actually, I was really interested to learn about the port that's produced here -- a big and pleasant surprise was how good the red wines were, in particular. Salamanca is a huge highlight -- it's one of the most beautiful cities I've ever seen next to Bordeaux. And the vistas along the river were quite beautiful, very lush on the Atlantic Ocean end (from Porto inward) and then becoming magesterially desert-like as you went further inland.

Ok, I'm gushing. Suffice to say, one family onboard had booked back-to-backs -- doing the same exact itinerary twice -- and I would have been happy to stay another week and cruise the Douro again.

My biggest tip is to make sure you get enough time in Porto. It's a special city and is not on the usual tourist trail.

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

Hi Kristin,

My husband and I have done 2 river cruises with AMA Waterways and loved them. We are considering the Douro River for 2017. We've never been to Portugal and only Barcelona in Spain.

I've heard that the excursions on this cruise require a lot of bus rides.

What can you tell me about the excursions and any other information about this region that will be helpful.

I am hoping to take advantage of the special promo for either reduced airfare or stateroom bonus.

Suggestions from others who have done the Douro River are welcome, too!

Thank you!

Bobbie

Hi Carolyn,

Thanks so much for your reply. The more I read about the Douro, I can understand your "gushing!"

Your tip about spending enough time in Porto made me think twice about which itinerary.

We're deciding between Enticing Douro and Port Wine & Flamenco. Any thoughts on these itineraries?

I am looking forward to sampling the wines and taking in the beautiful landscape.

Bobbie

We're deciding between Enticing Douro and Port Wine & Flamenco. Any thoughts on these itineraries?

I am looking forward to sampling the wines and taking in the beautiful landscape.

Bobbie

My review of our AmaVida cruise earlier this month is now posted, if you are interested.

We did enjoy Porto and would also recommend a couple of days there pre cruise. It was very busy and crowded when we were there and I would choose fall should we return.

<We're deciding between Enticing Douro and Port Wine & Flamenco. Any thoughts on these itineraries?

I am looking forward to sampling the wines and taking in the beautiful landscape.>

My review of our AmaVida cruise we took earlier this month is now posted, if you are interested.

We did enjoy Porto and would also recommend a couple of days there pre cruise. It was very busy and crowded when we were there and I would choose fall should we return.

Thank you, cavaiargal, for pointing me to your excellent review.

Now I am really looking forward to experiencing the Douro River!

Bobbie

We booked the Port Wine & Flamenco Douro River cruise today! Very excited to visit this part of Europe.

We are going to do the pre-cruise in Lisbon and post-cruise in Madrid.

Embark the AmaVida on July 25, 2017

Would love to hear from others who have experience with the Douro river.