Do certain routes tend to attract certain age groups?

The Tool Man

First of all, I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Ben, I'm a 27 year old guy from Indiana. I've cruised once, back in 2000 aboard the Carnival Destiny. I'm busy with my career, but want to take some time and start cruising solo. One of the biggest reasons I want to cruise solo is to have the opportunity to meet folks from all different walks of life. I'm interested in meeting people of all ages, but would also like to ensure I will meet some who are of similar age to myself.

I'm considering a the Transatlantic crossing from Barcelona next November on the Epic. And I don't mean to offend anyone, because like I said, I want to meet people of all ages. But I was thinking and thought that cruise is likely to be filled with retirees only, due to the length and departure port. Or am I completely wrong. If I'm right, what routes are most likely to attract solo cruisers of similar age as myself?

First of all, I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Ben, I'm a 27 year old guy from Indiana. I've cruised once, back in 2000 aboard the Carnival Destiny. I'm busy with my career, but want to take some time and start cruising solo. One of the biggest reasons I want to cruise solo is to have the opportunity to meet folks from all different walks of life. I'm interested in meeting people of all ages, but would also like to ensure I will meet some who are of similar age to myself.

I'm considering a the Transatlantic crossing from Barcelona next November on the Epic. And I don't mean to offend anyone, because like I said, I want to meet people of all ages. But I was thinking and thought that cruise is likely to be filled with retirees only, due to the length and departure port. Or am I completely wrong. If I'm right, what routes are most likely to attract solo cruisers of similar age as myself?

Yes, I do think that the average age on a transatlantic cruise skews quite a lot older than you. I just turned 55 and I'm one of the younger people on those cruises--on Celebrity or Azamara at least. I think you'd have better luck with 1-week long cruises, and try one of the "livelier" lines like NCL, RCCL, Carnival on one of their bigger ships and you should find a lot more younger people. All ages, of course, but the average age would be a little closer to yours.

If you want to go to Europe, NCL's Epic had been doing 1-week Med cruises all this year, not sure if they will continue to do them or not (haven't been paying attention!) but that might be a good option for you, especially with their solo lounge. Their transatlantic is one of the shorter TAs and that combined with the generally younger passengers might make that a good option too--I just don't know for sure. But I bet there are others on here who have done Epic TAs before and can tell you!

Edited by bottomfeeder

Typically, the longer the cruise the older the ages. Also, Europe, South America, and Panama Canal will typically attract older cruisers. Alaska would give you a fair mix with lots of older passengers, and lots of families. I don't know about solos though--not really a solo-friendly itinerary. Caribbean is where you'll likely find a younger average age of the passengers, and more solos around your age.

I was on a 10-day Canary Islands cruise in March, and I'd guess I was pretty close to the average age of the other solos and I was 57. I didn't see a lot of 20-somethings, but TBH I wasn't looking for them. :o But, I did see a lot of people in their 60s and 70s. And, a fair amount in their 40s and 50s.

Transatlantic and Alaska would attract much more older then you. Caribbean and Bahamas routes, you will find many people around your age.

And if you want the best solo experience and meet a lot of solo cruisers, try NCLs ships such as Breakaway, Epic, Gateway and Escape. These ships attract many solos.

Edited by cruiseelady

Hi - i went solo on NCL Epic a couple of years ago, i was 33 and the age group was really varied.

There were around 30 solos that got involved in the daily meet ups and there were probably around 11/12 under 35s.

The Epic is a really popular option for people from UK/Europe to cruise solo as we have less options available to us and the Epic caters for solos so well. Because of this you get a really varied and international group.

Out of my 9 cruises it was my favourite my a mile just because of the different people i met from all over the world.

Hope that helps :)

Thanks to everyone for the replies so far. I was sort of trying to avoid the Caribbean, as I've visited multiple times before and would like to find some ports with more cultural enrichment. The TA was so high on my list because I'd like to fly one way to Frankfurt, spend some time in Europe, then take the TA back home to the states. Heck, a cabin on a TA is cheaper that a business class flight home. However, it sounds like cruising the Med could be a good option.

I was 27 when I did my first cruise, which was a transatlantic.

Everyone is different but I would just forget about solo cruisers. 90% of the memorable people I met on board have not been other solo cruisers but couples. No idea if that was just coincidence but the most awesome people I met were couples in an age-gap relationship.

I have my my 5th transatlantic booked for April and don't care about solo gatherings or the studio lounge anymore. Just be around the ship, hit the bars and meet awesome people.

I did a 21 days cruise last year on the Carnival Dream. It was two separate legs of Miami to San Juan and an another leg San Juan to Miami.

All the stops were in the Caribbean or Bermuda.

On both legs I notice lots of younger people on-board but when asked I would say 90%+ were only doing one of the two legs, almost every one I met who was doing both legs were as old as me or older (I was 58).

I would like to point out I go a good deal on the cruise and paid for two people (100% supplement) and offered the free cruise to all my friends. None came with me because no-one could get that much time off work to go.

That seems to be the main problem, unless the person is retired, is one of the bosses of the company, or has a lot of vacation time stored up - working people can not find the time to go on long trips.

I was on that itinerary in 2014. There seemed to be a wide range of ages on board. I was surprised at just how old some people in the studios were - definitely some in their 80s.

I wouldn't class a 14 night cruise as long, so mainly attracting retirees. I'm not retired quite yet, and neither were all of the people that I met.

• 2 years later...
On 8/30/2016 at 8:55 PM, The Tool Man said:

Ben, I realize this thread is about 4 years old but I was curious to find out if you actually went. I’m in the same “boat”, cruised the Caribbean enough times and want to do something different. I booked a TA on the Epic for Thanksgiving 2020 at which point I’ll be 35. 🙈😬 I sailed on the Epic this past New Years and had a blast but a little nervous I may find myself by myself more often than not on a TA.

• 3 weeks later...

There's is a group of younger (under 40ish) people from the Getaway transatlantic last month that are all booked on that Epic TA. Not likely part of the roll call here but they have a social media group. Very fun group.  The Getaway TA had a wide range of ages, lots of solos. It just depends on where you hang out and who you talk to.  One younger guy described the general demographic as "cringe worthy" but he must have been going to the wrong bars!

• Like 1