drinks that will have less of a hit on my waist size

fragilek

I don't drink anything other than wine except on holiday when I usually like a few cocktails. But this year age has caught up with me and I have found it very hard to keep the weight off. I am disabled so shedding the extra a cruise will put on is pretty hard. So this time I plan to be good :eek:

At home I do not eat any complex carbs (yes I know low fat diet would be healthier and work better, but due to medical issues I am not allowed to cut down on fat) - so intend to keep carb 'free' for at least 7 days out of the 2 weeks I am away - semi good lol. However, it is a special 25th wedding anniversary trip so I plan to treat myself to a cocktails a day while on the cruise part of the trip. That's where I need help - what are the lower cal ones (if any) previously I would do the colada's.

The best thing to drink is water. If that gets boring, you could occasionally have tea.

It's the simple carbs like sugar and alcohol that are more important to avoid. The complex carbs such as vegetables are not so bad.

I live on 900- 1100 cals a day all year to balance my weight (take note I am disabled so don't walk more than a few steps - I am not recommending this amount for ANYone else)- I am allowed a break even my docs have said so ;): I am looking for ideas for cocktails , I was already aware that the water was good to go lol

Edited by fragilek

Also, for a pre dinner drink you could have a gin or vodka martini with a lemon twist. These are strong, but I'm sure they are lower in calories than most cocktails due to the lack of mixers, flavourings etc which add loads more sugar.

I drink captain morgan and diet coke, it saves some calories. And it is not my favorite, so I drink less.

A friend gets vodka cranberry, half cranberry/half water, plus two limes.

Champagne or sparkling wine are a favorite and feel festive. You could get a kir royale (the add creme de casis) or another champagne cocktail.

I second Vodka, soda , and Lime.

Tonic has calories unless it is Diet Tonic.

Diet sodas or Soda water and any spirit will be the lowest in calories.

Mojitos have several tablespoons of sugar in them so skip those.

Dry white wines and dry red wines have less residual sugar.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Avoid anything that has sugar syrup, simple mix/syrup be careful of the ready made cocktail mixes as they can be loaded with sugar and fats. I like to go for some of the champagne cocktails as I don't have a sweet tooth and these can look quite elegant

There's a thread called "drinks price packages" that has a link to a post that has pictures, by the looks of it, of nearly all of the drink menus on RCCI from one of the ships, have a look at that and you will be able to judge beforehand what you might like to drink.

different gins or different additions ?

Both :)

there are lots of different tonics and different gins go with different garnishes.

Tanqueray for instance goes with lime

Hendrick's goes with cucumber

The barmen should know what is best for each gin

Soda water is calorie-free...so use that as your "mixer"...vodka, soda, lime... (I actually prefer tonic, but I'm not sure they have sugar-free tonic....)

Avoid "sweet" cocktail, like daiquiris and pina coladas, or other "fruity" drinks...they have LOTS of calories.

There are some pretty low-cal beers, too!

Hi Fragilek,

Unless you agree to use Diet mixers (which may be a no-no for people allergic to Aspartame etc), all "Cocktails" will be heavier (calorifically) than plain spirits.

A friend of mine, who is in a somewhat similar situation to you, very low daily calories (albeit for different reasons), has "trained" himself to like the following "cocktails"

Assume 50 - 100 calories for an ounce of Spirit (depends on the Spirit)

Added calories are listed below. Assume that 4 ounces of mixture is added

1. Scotch and Soda: ADDED Calories: NONE

2. Vodka and Water: ADDED Calories: NONE

3. Gin and Tonic: ADDED Calories: 10 per oz of Tonic

4. Vodka and Cran: ADDED Calories: 15 per oz of Cranberry Juice

5. Rum and Coke: ADDED Calories: 12 per oz of Coke

6. Old Fashioned:: ADDED Calories: about 80 for the Bitters and cube of Sugar

7. Paloma: ADDED Calories: About 80 for the Grapefruit Juice

8. Mojito: ADDED Calories: About 85 for the sugar cubes and lime

9. Dry Martini: ADDED Calories: About 90 for the Vermouth and one olive

10. Gimlet: ADDED Calories: About 90 for the simple syrup and fresh squeezed lime

I am sure there are many many more. But these 10 should be very easy for any bartender aboard your ship

Cheers and happy and safe travels!

Warm Regards,

Panjabi

Edited by panjabi

Gin and tonic are a great choice for low calorie drinks, there's lots of options and each has a completely different taste

This :)

Swapped beer for this early evenings pre dinner and then went for the low sugar sweets on our last cruise.

Not sure if it was only this but when I got back home not as much damage to the waist line as previous cruises.

Gin and tonic are a great choice for low calorie drinks, there's lots of options and each has a completely different taste

This :)

Swapped beer for this early evenings pre dinner and then went for the low sugar sweets on our last cruise.

Not sure if it was only this but when I got back home not as much damage to the waist line as previous cruises.

Stay away from tonic (sugar & calories).

As others have mentioned - vodka, soda, lime is a much better choice.

The vodka, soda and lime gets a vote from me too! :D

Depending on how much of a vodka pour is actually in the drink the calorie count will fluctuate. Generally one vodka, soda & lime cocktail is under 100 calories and can be as low as 64 calories with a one ounce shot. :eek::D

Here's a link if you'd like to read more:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/313890-how-many-calories-in-a-vodka-soda/

Enjoy your cruise! Happy 25th anniversary!! Safe travels to all! :)