Just returned Dream 10/22/05 to 10/29/05

AChris999

Family of four just returned from the Dream. Here is a very short review.

FOOD - mediocre to very good, ate at every restaurant including Le Bistro (which we all thought was very good.)

SERVICE - every staff member we dealt gave us top notch service.

PORTS - stopped at Vera Cruz and Progresso due to a combination of Wilma and engine problems (engine problems were never mentioned by staff.)

ENTERTAINMENT - singers & dancers put on a decent show 3 nights, there was a comedian and a juggler who were both very good and a country western singer (Rushlow?). Entertainment on par with previous cruises.

SHIP - the Dream is a lovely ship, showing some age in the cabins - dining rooms (except Le Bistro) have lots of glass and many tables with great ocean views. We had read public spaces are tight and can get very crowded, but did not see any problems except in the Sports Bar (buffet).

OVERALL - this was our 21st cruise, 6th on NCL. We love Freestyle dining and view the ship as our destination, not the ports. We had very low expectations due to numerous negative posts, but we would go again next week if we could. NCL gave everyone on board $50 per person up to $100 cabin credit to spend on board. Most passengers we spoke with felt this was not enough to compensate for missed ports and cancelled excursions. We knew the Dream would not make all scheduled stops since we are regular readers of this board.

This is my opinion of the cruise - I know there will be others that had their plans ruined and the vacation they hoped for was not delivered. Bottom line in my opinion is cruise the Dream if you will be satified with a lovely ship, good food & entertainment. If you pick your cruises based on ports, chose another vessel.

Chris,

Thanks for the review. We board the Dream in 3 weeks and can't wait. Our ports will be Roatan and Belize (as far as we know right now). I love both ports, so that will be fine with me.

Vette

Hi Chriss.....Its nice to see someone else not knocking the Dream.....I was on the week before you....(posted review ...Dream 10 15/22......) sure there were a few problems....most of us knew of the going in......:)

also saw ChipandJohn review.. good also......glad everyone enjoyed themselves....

till we all sail again......jus me,,,,jim aka the velvet teddy bear....:cool:

Seems that too mnay people think that disappointment with NCL's unwillingness to even consider a port substitution is "bad attitude". Regardless of that, the facts are that virtually EVERY other cruise line is calling into Costa Maya instead of Cozumel/Cancun. Costa Maya is 100% unaffected by Wilma, with 100% of shore excursions operating. NCL DID changes ports to go to Progresso and Veracruz for one other sailing, and did call into Costa Maya for another date. So they CAN, they just aren't...

With all these ships pulling into Costa Maya, one might come to the conclusion there are too many ships and too many tourists to enjoy this small port of call....

I guess if you go to a port you still have the choice to stay on the ship if you don't like the look of the port or are afraid it will be too crowded. If the ship doesn't stop at any port you don't have that option.

Archived