Cruise Critic Community
Suite Travels

The Crystal Insider

Here's a link to the CEO article on the blog @ http://blog.crystalcruises.com/top-of-mind-edie-rodriguez/

OMG :eek:

The focus on the CEO grows

Is it appropriate? - time will tell...

One interesting thing to do is click on the Edie R keyword at the bottom of the article to bring up a list of articles with her included - very interesting read

Like Observer notes I'd much prefer to see some Crystal staff featured in articles like this

Edited by Bodogbodog

It must be one of those US English terms, so can someone tell me what Top of Mind with our Top Traveler is supposed to mean??? Makes no sense at all to me and I am English..!!! Or do we now have an All Exclusive Crystal version of the English language...:D

Anne...

So I must remember that I am an exclusive well heeled top travel on epic and historic cruises with Crystal enjoying my time on a couple of aging ships

Have I missed any more Crystal rhetoric and hyperbole?

Have I missed any more Crystal rhetoric and hyperbole?

You missed the obvious ones - Luxury, Most Awarded, World's Best.. I lost count of the number of times they appeared in today's press release. I've never seen so many superlatives used in one piece, think someone swallowed a dictionary before writing that one!!!:)

Anne...

Edited by Jayayeff

When I was a CEO, I featured the worker-bees, not myself, whenever possible. How about a profile of a galley cook who just completed 20 years with Crystal? Or a faithful worker in the laundry? Or the engine room?

+1... I don't think a CEO profile is wholly inappropriate, but it sure would be nice if it was one of many, many different types of employees -- especially those aboard ship or in roles that passengers seldom get to interact with -- before the CEO. Even among the executive team, it would be interesting to see profiles from people like Thomas Mazloum who have been with the company for a long time, and some of the interesting newer hires that have had diverse careers elsewhere.

Vince

Edited by BWIVince

The focus on the CEO grows

Is it appropriate? - time will tell...

I have just been chastened for my disrespectful post and my implicit criticism of the CEO.

A friend pointed out that it was certainly apt that Edie share "an inside glimpse into her own travel experiences" at this time.

First, many of the same people who urged Edie to go slow on bringing out the Exclusive Class ships and keep the current aging ocean liners indefinitely have doubtless expressed keen and urgent interest in the CEO's "own travel experiences." This post is nothing more than a response to popular demand.

Second, this revelatory post was in fact marking an important milestone -- her third (yes! third!) anniversary as Crystal CEO. From the post: "As Edie marks her own milestone third year as the leader of the World’s Most Luxurious Lifestyle and Travel Brand Portfolio™, she’s sharing an inside glimpse into her own travel experiences."

My working experience may have been different from that of others, but I never thought that three years of consecutive employment at the same company marked any kind of "milestone."

Live and learn.

Edited by Observer

More Edie. Is this Crystal Cruises or the Edie appreciation society? I've never seen a cruise line CEO grandstand so much. I feel I know less about Crystal and more about Edie than I care to.

I have to wonder how her team feels? She seems to take all the credit and spotlight when really she should be focusing attention on her team that makes it all happen.

Edited by eroller

All I can say is WOW!!

i agree

but why - i 'll be the bad guy once again - is Crystal economising on the 2 ships in the F and B operations so heavily for the moment.:mad:

just one example : the fresh lobsters on welcome replaced by frozen tails?

thank:eek: you number 2 on Crystal and vice president F and B !

and i hope those 2 read it !

i agree

but why - i 'll be the bad guy once again - is Crystal economising on the 2 ships in the F and B operations so heavily for the moment.:mad:

just one example : the fresh lobsters on welcome replaced by frozen tails?

thank:eek: you number 2 on Crystal and vice president F and B !

and i hope those 2 read it !

My last few cruises have had fresh tails served in the dining room... I think the frozen tails (which are still of high quality IME) are only used when they are logistically the better option on rare occasion.

Vince

It must be one of those US English terms, so can someone tell me what Top of Mind with our Top Traveler is supposed to mean??? Makes no sense at all to me and I am English..!!! Or do we now have an All Exclusive Crystal version of the English language...:D

Anne...

Hi Anne,

I don't think anybody has answered you, and I certainly had never heard the phrase.

Since I've been told that "Google is your friend", I found out it's actually in the dictionary. I then learned that fuel efficiency should be top of mind when I buy a car. I disagree! I don't drive enough to make me care much about my fuel efficiency. I want a car that, when I look at it, I'm proud to own it, and when I drive it, I'm comfortable and feel safe.

Which just goes to show you how we are not all alike and Vince's YMMV is applicable very often, and not just about our motor vehicles.

Hi Anne,

I don't think anybody has answered you, and I certainly had never heard the phrase.

Since I've been told that "Google is your friend", I found out it's actually in the dictionary. I then learned that fuel efficiency should be top of mind when I buy a car. I disagree! I don't drive enough to make me care much about my fuel efficiency. I want a car that, when I look at it, I'm proud to own it, and when I drive it, I'm comfortable and feel safe.

Which just goes to show you how we are not all alike and Vince's YMMV is applicable very often, and not just about our motor vehicles.

Actually, what you have supplied is good EXAMPLE of top of mind.

It is very simple and has to do with what should be foremost in ones thoughts and greatest priority. So. In the case of the wonderful article about Edie, it is what is "foremost in Edie's thoughts" as the article is "Top of mind with Edie." I personally love to read about Edie. BTW My favorite FC seat is ANY FC seat (especially in the Etihad Apartment).

http://www.yourdictionary.com/top-of-mind

So. In the case of the wonderful article about Edie, it is what is "foremost in Edie's thoughts" as the article is "Top of mind with Edie." I personally love to read about Edie.
I am just so upset that the editor took out the absolute "top of mind" that ER thinks of constantly. We all know, they have to be:

"How can I get a great ship out quickly to make our wonderful guests happy and not have to go to Seabourn or Regent"

"Now that airplanes and river boats and yachts have been started, how can I make a difference to have our cruise ships once again be the best in the world?"

Unfortunately, the writer decided to go for the slightly below top.

BTW My favorite FC seat is ANY FC seat (especially in the Etihad Apartment).
Yep. To paraphrase Mel Brooks, it's good to know that instead of worrying about having 10 people in your row (3-4-3), you only have 10 people in your cabin. Edited by FlyerTalker

That got your attention I'm sure.....well actually Edies interview is gone as the lead blog article is what I should have said

Today's entry is up - Crystal Esprit Short Ribs recipe

http://blog.crystalcruises.com/crystal-esprit-short-ribs-recipe/

Actually, it is still there in all its glory. Just that the blog format "rolls" posts down as new ones come on. So when you go to:

http://blog.crystalcruises.com/

you will get the most recent article at the top, then older ones going backward.

The links that have been posted to this thread are for specific posts and ONLY that post. The one I posted above gives you the whole blog, sorted in reverse fashion (newest first).

In fact, since you can always see the newest (and recent) posts easily from the simple link above, no real need to have to post each and every one individually, aside from as a notice that a new post is up.

In today's article it purports to give advice on the best views in Sydney - please Do Not take their advice...

The illustration of "Sydney's skyline as seen from Luna Park, beneath the famous Sydney Harbour Bridge" is not accurate - that photo is the view looking at Luna Park not from it - so what you see is the park and North Sydney office blocks

They other spot they suggest is the top of the Harbour Bridge - ok if you want to big bucks to take the tour and book a Bridge Climb - but not for your average casual tourist

My advice for a couple of spots to view Sydney?

Walk to the point that the Opera House is located on and look west to the bridge and eat up the harbour and south to the city skyline

Take a harbour cruise to take in our magnificent harbour

Go to Sydney Tower @ https://www.sydneytowereye.com.au and get views of the city and surrounding areas (fee applies but it's a lot cheaper than the Bridge Climb)

I'm not sure how Sydney got lumped in with Barcelona and Vienna for a piece in views - it's a somewhat eclectic mix in my view

The illustration of "Sydney's skyline as seen from Luna Park, beneath the famous Sydney Harbour Bridge" is not accurate

Pleased to see the blog has been updated with a different photo that now is a view from Luna Park back across the harbour to the city

Interestingly in the new photo the area in the top right of the photo (to the right of the bridge pylon) is where the tenders drop passengers off if Crystal Serenity is moored at Athol Buoy in the harbour, which has been the case in recent times. It's a short pleasant walk from there around to Circular Quay and the central city

Edited by Bodogbodog

Been there done that....next. Great for first timers with 84 of your new best friends I doubt that anyone would repeat it like a cruise.