Azamara vs Regent, An Actual Comparison Based on Onboard Experience

rallydave

Just found the information for wine, alcohol and "water" packages (almost choked when I saw that you had to pay for water).

Funny, we had so many bottles of water delivered to our cabin on Quest that we had to give some back, and I had sparkling water at every meal -- all at no charge. But we're fine with spring water, don't need a special elite brand :)

I have not sailed Azamara in over 6 years. But I am considering other cruise lines although Regent seems to fill my needs the best. Still, open for a change. I will say that the staff was superb but found the ship was a bit cramped. Realizing that this could have changed in the interim, I have a few questions which I hope can be answered by the recent cruisers on Azamara:

i am an Azaamra cheerleader. but trying both Oceania and Regent for the ports in the next 18 months.

The common spaces seemed to be a fewer, a bit cramped and the lounges would be at capacity before diner. Has this changed?

not at all. you can not make a space better. the smallest bar on ship is in front of the MDR and not sure how many can sit there. People do go there for a drink and live music. but there are other bars before dinner to go too.

The dining room often had longish waits. Is that still the case?

depends on the time of night. 6 and 8 are the longer lines.. people who eat early or the rest who enjoy the port and want to eat on ship.

The regular cabin (at least the one we were in) was small, not tiny but smaller than say the cabins on the Mariner, let alone the Voyager. Are most of them comparable or at what cabin designation does it become comparable?

i can only say all "R" ships are tiny. . the cabin you cal la PH is about 225 sq feet so. smaller than Regent or other lines.. i always take a cabin on deck 8

As I remember it (but could be mistaken) the hallways were a bit narrower and when the service carts were there it was fairly tight. Did they correct this, maybe by using smaller carts or keeping them out of the halls?

no the carts still are in the way. can not change the hallway and not sure how to change the cart as not a place i spend the money. most of us can get around this area.

Excursions were extra but that isn't a problem especially since we did some private tours. But, how much did the typical excursion through the ship cost? Were the buses filled to 100% or were they more like the 80-90% that Regent fills them (sometimes the extra space is useful and a few less people on a tour does make a difference). Useful to know since we don't always want to spend the effort to arrange private tours.

honestyl i do not ever remember what a tour costs but they do try to push for the new number of 35 people.. Mia office has come up with this number.. I feel anything over 25 is a joke. i only use them for snorkel if needed and their small group tours that cost a lot.

I don't remember if there were specialty restaurants? If there are, how much do they charge and are they easily available (reservations) and how much do they charge?

Any other info or insight you could give would be appreciated.

thanks,

John

there are 2 very good ones at $25 per person. it is included in all suites. menu never changes. if traveling ashore you are welcome back home-given a cold/warm drink and a cold/warm towel. crew is the best- maybe why i stayed. i facebook many weekly. drinks are included but not strong enough - i do pay for my favorite vodka etc as i can not drink the package worth. water free! not the patron of water but water is free. i get about 6 bottles in room daily, at the gangway and every bar cold!!!

Edited by ellbon

After a slightly disappointing experience on Regent last May, we decided to give Azamara a try last September. We were not impressed with our veranda suites, very small and compact, just about ok for an 8 day cruise. We found the food quite good but definitely not as good a quality as Regent. The Chefs Table was excellent, the best meal we had! ......And then we had a most unpleasant experience in Prime C with my son who has some mild disabilities. I had never ever complained about staff in any restaurant in my life but this server was unbelievably rude and left us with a very sour taste of Azamara. We received no apology or comment while on board even though I had brought the incident to the attention of the restaurant manager. A friend on our Regent cruise made a complaint and he received a call immediately from the cruise manager and was invited to come and discuss the problem. I will say that Azamara did take note when I wrote to management after our cruise. We were offered vouchers but really we didn’t want them and they remain unused. We also found the inclusive drinks package very poor. I enjoy a cosmo before dinner but it wasn’t on ‘the list’, in fact there were very limited cocktails on the list and very few beers. The wine selection was very restricted, the first night the white was chardonnay and tough luck if you don’t like that!! I know the price for Azamara is way less that Regent and you pay for what you get. But for me it was not value for money and I have to respectfully disagree with rallydave

Rallydave thanks for your comparative review. We've only sailed with Regent once - 5 years ago so not worthy of comment ;);) - but based on that experience, we haven't returned. We definitely prefer AZ over Regent but we like some other cruise lines better than AZ. Somehow they've never really wowed us. But we sail Quest later this week and look forward to experiencing the ship post "reimagination".

PS. How was Icelandair Saga Class?

PS. How was Icelandair Saga Class?

Well, for what we paid it was fine. Typical domestic first class seats, food OK, nice noise cancelling headsets, and lots of empty seats. First flight 5 hours, second 3 hours. Nothing like the current Business Class cocoons with lie flat seats but, much less expensive than paying point to point with no extra cost for up to 7 days stay in Iceland. Have been to Iceland and most likely won't do it again so most probably won't be taking Icelandic again however, for this trip we did just fine. The club and priority checking in and at the gate were worthwhile with the back of the plane completely full on both flights. Reykjavik doesn't have sufficient gate space so on the first flight we disembarked on the tarmac and took busses into the terminal. Never did understand the line coming into the airport where they simply looked at our passports and stamped them; never scanned them or checked any database. Also very strange that they never asked us for an ID to identify ourselves, simply took the paper boarding passes as OK. Same thing on a flight from Amsterdam to Frankfort and into the airport terminal at Frankfort. Only time they asked for our passports as ID's was when boarding our flight to the US and that was 3 times but, we got into Iceland, Netherlands, and Germany never showing our passports or picture ID's. Seemed strange with all the issues in the world these days????

Elbon,

Well, OK. Unless some more relatively recent Azamara cruisers can add to the discussion, it appears that Azamara may not be what I'm personally looking for. Of course, it may still be a very good value for the money - just not what I want to compromise on (not to say it is a compromise for others). I personally don't spend a tremendous amount of time in the cabin but I don't want one that is small. I do spend some time in the lounge and don't want to be crowded into a small space. I do not want to wait long for a dining room table - not usually a problem as we tend to eat late but I do like the flexibility in case we want to eat with others who like to eat early or at "prime time". No, the carts are not a big problem except on the cruise we went on (as I said...some time ago) the cart got parked right outside our cabin and when we requested it be moved it was - for a day and then right back outside our door. I would personally be sort of OK with the drinks/wine but my wife is more discerning and weak drinks or mediocre wine would not be good for her. Not saying it is bad - just that it does not quite meet the standard I'm willing to pay for.

It does sound better than most of the mainstream cruise lines and I can certainly see the value in it as an upgrade from those lines. Again, just not quite what I'm looking for. I hope that those that enjoy it continue to do so (I was a cheerleader for HAL for many years and certainly understand what others continue to see in that cruiseline) but my preferences have changed over time.

Thanks for the input and I look forward to any additional inputs from recent cruisers.

Best,

John

rallydave, I also read your review on the Azamara board. It was very detailed and interesting. In fairness, however, when you compare Regent to Azamara, perhaps you should state how long it has been since you sailed on Regent (guessing 5 years). While this does not have an effect on your Azamara experience, the Regent experience today is not what it was 5 years ago.

I note that rallydave says in his original post that he has not sailed with Regent for about 3 years (so comparing 2012/13 to 2016)

TC2, You are saying that the Regent experience today (2016) is not the same as it was 5 years ago (2011). What has changed significantly and overall, in your opinion, is the Regent experience better or worse than it was?

I note that rallydave says in his original post that he has not sailed with Regent for about 3 years (so comparing 2012/13 to 2016)

TC2, You are saying that the Regent experience today (2016) is not the same as it was 5 years ago (2011). What has changed significantly and overall, in your opinion, is the Regent experience better or worse than it was?

Good question Flossie. Is it better or worse?:rolleyes:

Would be happy to answer that on another thread as I don't want to interfere with the comparison of Regent and Azamara. IMO Regent is a better product than 5 years ago (the most significant changes have been happening in the last few months and are continuing through mid-2017). One item that fits into this comparison thread is alcohol. Five years ago Regent served the same tequila as Azamara serves -- now they serve two brands that are more than twice the cost.

Well, I don't consider it too far off topic since it is a comparison of Regent vs. Azamara. So, I'll relate my personal experience. I do like Regent, but as I said in other posts, it is not perfect. Compared to five years ago, my personal experiences have changed - some for better some for worse. But generally, I find that Regent has not changed too much on the same types of cruises. Five years ago I generally took cruises of 18-21 days. And I've continued to take those but have taken a few shorter ones in the interim as well. In general, I find the shorter ones (7-10 days) to be not quite as satisfying, for me, as the longer ones. On the shorter ones, there is a greater proportion of newer cruisers who are more constrained with respect to time and so they are trying to experience as much as possible in the shorter time. And that is fine! But that makes for a bit more crowded experience around the pool, on the tours, and in the specialty restaurants (with additional reservations harder to get because everybody wants to eat there, understandably, at least once) . Perhaps a bit greater consumption of alcohol as well, but except for a few this has not been an issue. A bit more chaotic situation departing for tours. Again, still a good experience but not as good for me as the 21 day or so cruises (not talking back to backs). When there is a higher proportion of newer cruisers, some of the resources get stretched due to all the (appropriate) questions, tour changes etc.

In addition, although there are strenuous denials of any cutbacks, it sometimes appears as though there might have been or maybe the crew is not quite as experienced. Maybe it is a result of bringing on more new staff to train for the new ship. For example, I felt that there was a decline in the level of service around the pool. Sometimes I'm no longer asked if I'd like to have a refill, sometimes a long delay in getting a drink. But not really an issue - sometimes it is good to get up and walk to the bar. I think the food, in general, is just as good or better. The overall service is just as attentive (pool excepted). I think I did notice a decline in the live music but that could just be personal taste. While the Ann Ryan entertainment performances were getting stale, I'm not looking forward to the new entertainment. I have not experienced it yet but some of the shows sound really dated and targeted to my parents generation (which is older than 95% of the current cruisers. But as I said, I have not experienced it yet - I will in December.

If anybody has specific questions, I'll be glad to answer them if I can. I've only cruised once this year (due to a multitude of personal reasons) but in prior years we have generally gone on 3 a year since 2008. So my experience isn't rich in very recent history but I have much of it spread pretty evenly over the past 8 or so years.

Best,

John

Would be happy to answer that on another thread as I don't want to interfere with the comparison of Regent and Azamara. IMO Regent is a better product than 5 years ago (the most significant changes have been happening in the last few months and are continuing through mid-2017). One item that fits into this comparison thread is alcohol. Five years ago Regent served the same tequila as Azamara serves -- now they serve two brands that are more than twice the cost.

We first sailed with Regent in 2009 and have sailed regularly with them since then.

In those 7 years we have seen only one significant change for the better - removal of the art auctions

There have been a number of minor changes - mostly slightly worsening the experience e.g. quality of included wines

We do not drink Tequila very often, and on the few occasions it will be in a cocktail so a cheaper brand will probably suffice

We are sailing again with Regent next month so will be looking out for the significant changes that you say have been happening in the last few months

If your going to compare it needs to be during the same year--otherwise it just doesn't hold water so to say. Also everyone has their likes and dislikes, so if you like it stay with it-that's your choice. But don't say ones bad just because you saved a few dollars.

We first sailed with Regent in 2009 and have sailed regularly with them since then.

In those 7 years we have seen only one significant change for the better - removal of the art auctions

There have been a number of minor changes - mostly slightly worsening the experience e.g. quality of included wines

now i know how we got art auctions on AZ from Regent. wine- find in general to weak for me.. if i want wine i will be a bottle. i hate Tequila.

We do not drink Tequila very often, and on the few occasions it will be in a cocktail so a cheaper brand will probably suffice

We are sailing again with Regent next month so will be looking out for the significant changes that you say have been happening in the last few months

I heard the cheese trolley gone or is it the port or both?

If your going to compare it needs to be during the same year--otherwise it just doesn't hold water so to say. Also everyone has their likes and dislikes, so if you like it stay with it-that's your choice. But don't say ones bad just because you saved a few dollars.[/quote

Really agree with you. Also think that my example was poor (however, I was trying to stay on topic which the last several posts have not been). The multi-millions of dollars spent on the three Regent ships (last refurbishment) is significant. Now, with more multi-millions of dollars being spent on the ships in addition to the top shelf items now on the everyday menu, puts them far and above what most cruise lines spend in refurbishments.

For those of you that were cruising Regent from 2004 - 2013, you would certainly understand much of what I am posting. This is not arguable -- it is fact. And, those that have not sailed Regent in more than 3 years have not experienced the "new" ships. Everything from carpeting to wall coverings and soft goods were replaced. Even additional crew quarters have been squeezed in on the Voyager (and possibly the Mariner as well). Additionally, those that have not sailed the Explorer do not understand the changes that are currently being rolled out. While I am not as familiar with the Voyager's upcoming refurbishment, La Veranda on the Mariner will be completely gutted and will be replaced with a dining venue similar to the Explorer. Also, Chartreuse will debut on the Mariner and Voyager after their refurbishment. Internet has been upgraded many times. Unfortunately, when Regent decided to include some included internet to all passengers, the speed is not what many expected. Hopefully this will also be addressed in the near future.

To get back on topic (somewhat), could someone let us know when Azamara last went through a major refurbishment? The same can be asked of Crystal, Silversea or Seabourn (note: some Siversea ships have recently gone through a refurbishment but it was a very long time since the previous refurbishment).

Let's try to look at factual information rather than opinions - at least for this thread.

Edited by Travelcat2

Elbon,

Well, OK. Unless some more relatively recent Azamara cruisers can add to the discussion, it appears that Azamara may not be what I'm personally looking for. Of course, it may still be a very good value for the money - just not what I want to compromise on (not to say it is a compromise for others). I personally don't spend a tremendous amount of time in the cabin but I don't want one that is small. I do spend some time in the lounge and don't want to be crowded into a small space. I do not want to wait long for a dining room table - not usually a problem as we tend to eat late but I do like the flexibility in case we want to eat with others who like to eat early or at "prime time". No, the carts are not a big problem except on the cruise we went on (as I said...some time ago) the cart got parked right outside our cabin and when we requested it be moved it was - for a day and then right back outside our door. I would personally be sort of OK with the drinks/wine but my wife is more discerning and weak drinks or mediocre wine would not be good for her. Not saying it is bad - just that it does not quite meet the standard I'm willing to pay for.

It does sound better than most of the mainstream cruise lines and I can certainly see the value in it as an upgrade from those lines. Again, just not quite what I'm looking for. I hope that those that enjoy it continue to do so (I was a cheerleader for HAL for many years and certainly understand what others continue to see in that cruiseline) but my preferences have changed over time.

Thanks for the input and I look forward to any additional inputs from recent cruisers.

Best,

John

I'm not sure that your conclusion is incorrect, but some of Elbon's statements don't jibe with my experience on Quest last month.

• the common spaces were much improved in the re-imagining -- especially the forward lounge now called The Living Room, which apparently used to be empty most of the time and now is used throughout the day [thereby lessening the crowding in other areas]

• we almost never had to wait at dinner, and we arrived at a peak time around 8 pm -- service was attentive and well-paced, so that we always made the 9:45 show without rushing desert [and the theater was never full when we arrived, although the sightlines aren't great for many of the seats]

• our regular veranda cabin was the same size we are used to from other lines, including Crystal -- this isn't a deal-breaker for us but in the future we would probably spring for a Club Continent "suite" which is larger at 266 sf (plus 60 sf veranda) and has a choice of tub or tub-size shower -- if that is too small, there are also Club Ocean suites at 478 + 173, and the Club World Owner's suites at 603 + 233

• we never had a problem with carts blocking the hallways -- nor did we ever see scooters in the hallways -- so access was not a problems

• we and most people we met on the cruise are experienced cruisers who tend to book our own excursions, but the one we took with Azamara was not crowded [two mini-vans] and offered a unique experience to match the high price; the AzAmazing Evening did fill the buses but the ride was just across a small town and that excursion was free

• there are two specialty restaurants which cost $30 retail but can easily be had for $20 in a package [and are free to suite passengers]; there is also the chef's table which is a terrific food & wine pairing @ $95 [3 separate menus -- French, Italian and California -- so you can do it more than once without repeating]

• perhaps the biggest difference [based on my impression of Regent from this board and its frequent posters] is that Azamara is not hung up on being "luxury," but simply wants to ensure that every guest has a great time on every cruise [that, come to think of it, is my definition of luxury]

Edited by Host Jazzbeau

Jazzbeau, I appreciate your input. I was also interested to learn (from your previous post) that water - even sparkling water, is included. Reading the Azamara website did not make this clear.

In terms of "luxury", this is one area where I think you may not be correct. And, since you are a "host" on Cruise Critic, I think they should pay for you to take a luxury cruise (preferably on Regent - but, I am obviously prejudiced).

I think you will find that 99% of Regent passengers do not think about "luxury" - we just expect decent size suites (300 sq. ft. and above - not including a balcony - although we expect a balcony). We are used to the all inclusivity of luxury cruising (the same as Crystal, Seabourn and Silversea passengers), excellent service and a calm, relaxed atmosphere.

For myself, I like that Regent can take care of every aspect of our cruise (transportation to the port, to the hotel, from the hotel to the ship and from the ship to the airport). This could simply be laziness on our part (after 20 years of doing non-luxury travel on our own using over a million frequent flier points - when they actually had a value).

Discussions amongst passengers on Regent tend to be about what you did that day, what ports you particularly like, restaurants in different ports and other travel discussions. We never - ever talk down about non-luxury cruise lines - in fact, we don't think about it at all. During the day on Regent, you would see a bunch of people that you would never expect to see on a luxury cruise line (down to earth people wearing what anyone else would wear during the day while on vacation). We don't care what other people do for a living or how much money they have. We've become friends with people and learned much later about their lives and families. It is simply not important on our cruises.

Most luxury cruisers feel extremely fortunate and blessed to be able to take the cruises that we do and realize that life is short so we had better do what we enjoy the most while we are here.

Jazzbeau,

Thank you for replying. A somewhat different reflection of Azamara than Elbon (or what I experienced so long ago). Precisely why I was asking for input from anybody that could relate recent experiences. We all perceive things differently and, in fact, have different experiences. Accordingly, I withdraw my conclusion but still would appreciate hearing from more people about their experiences. A sample size of three (including my own dated experience) with different experiences is too small to draw a conclusion of what meets my own personal preferences.

Very interesting that the "R" class ships could have such different perceptions although at this point there is one similar to my experience and one that shows a much improved experience. Anybody else have any input?

And yes, I think Regent probably over-stresses their "luxury". I'm confident that from a luxury standpoint, all the luxury lines are about the same and that a few of the other lines could be included in that category as well, at least for some ships and cabins. But marketing being marketing, each line tries to stress some aspects of their experience. I guess that Regent choose "Luxury" and "free" (although they are starting to more accurately say "included"). Still, we personally have enjoyed Regent for the most part, continue to cruise Regent, and do consider it to be "luxury" cruising.

Just trying to find good comparisons - I value input from all. And, I realize that what works for some does not always work for others. There is no "correct" viewpoint - we each have our own based on preferences, expectations and individual experiences but hopefully we are all open to consider others.

Thanks,

John

John,

As the Host of the River Cruising forum, I regularly have to deal with the question "which river line is all-inclusive?" The answer is "none": some include all alcohol all the time [but not top shelf brands], some include all excursions, some include gratuities, one has the best food -- but as far as I know none includes all of the above. Most of us on that forum have agreed that the top three or four lines all constitute the 'luxury' level -- but each of us prefers one of them as hitting the right notes for our preferences. In my ocean-cruising experience, I would rank Crystal tops for food [flawless nouvelle cuisine plus classic haute cuisine choices coming out of the same kitchen every meal], an M-class Celebrity Suite tops for the cabin [separate bedroom, large living/dining room, large bathroom with a view, and amazing curved center-ship location with terrific views], and Azamara tops for service. But the best part is that none of the three was less than good on the other aspects, so I would happily sail on any of them again. So for you: there will definitely be things about Azamara that don't match the level you expect from Regent, but there may be other areas that exceed your expectations. If you see an itinerary on Azamara that really calls out to you: give it a try :)

Jazz

Edited by Host Jazzbeau

We have done both Azamara and Regent recently, and find Azamara to be leaps and bounds ahead of Regent. The service, the feeling of being welcomed home, the port immersion and the comfort and friendliness of fellow passengers on AZ doesn't even compare to RSSC for us. The only area where Regent excels is in the size of the accomodations, which I understand might be a deal breaker for some people. I'm not saying AZ is luxury - it's premium. But there was also nothing about our Regent cruise this summer that felt like luxury - some areas didn't even feel premium. And for the price point, AZ wins hands-down. Our Regent cruise cost us $42k (which is a big chunk of change for us in our 30s). We could've done the same cruise on AZ in a suite for $20k and had a much more streamlined experience. Based on our recent Regent cruise (after 5 total), I wouldn't sail them again, and I can't say that about any other line. There is a cruise line for everyone, that's why it's so great that there are so many options. But just thought I'd chime in since I've done both lines recently.

Michael

In 2016 I have done seven Azamara cruises and many in the same cabin in deck. 8. I found the cart in the hall many days by my door when I left my cabin late. Was moved at some point but I got tired of opening my door to it. Really love the new spa cabin as the cart does not go there.

The speciality places are great. Was not aware they went up in price as I always had a small suite.

I was on the ship for three cruises this summer and had a bus tour more than once. Some buses were smaller due to the roads. I have been told that AZ will cancel tours for less than 35 people. It is on the CC boards now. The smaller tours could be Insiders tours or because the Host was in Norway,

As if some date in July Azamara added more wine choices per day and some brand bubble water and sparkling wines. It was after I left.

I done 37 cruises with them. I love the TLC from crew but have a deposit with Regent due to location. I am going into the cruise knowing there have been problems with your shore desk but we have them too.

Anyone who has sailed on an R class ship knows the cabins are small. But gee Oceania feels them daily. Regent abs Oceania are owned by the same parent. So some problems must be the same on both lines.

To get back on topic (somewhat), could someone let us know when Azamara last went through a major refurbishment? The same can be asked of Crystal, Silversea or Seabourn (note: some Siversea ships have recently gone through a refurbishment but it was a very long time since the previous refurbishment).

Let's try to look at factual information rather than opinions - at least for this thread.

You do realise that the oldest ship in the Seabourn fleet is the Odyssey? It was launched 7 years ago. I believe the oldest in the Regent fleet is the Navigator, launched as a cruise ship 17 years ago?

I'm not sure why you're trying to tell people how they should be posting. Firstly this isn't your thread. Secondly it's a comparison thread. It will be a mixture of fact and opinion as it's based on guest experience.

Really agree with you. Also think that my example was poor (however, I was trying to stay on topic which the last several posts have not been). The multi-millions of dollars spent on the three Regent ships (last refurbishment) is significant. Now, with more multi-millions of dollars being spent on the ships in addition to the top shelf items now on the everyday menu, puts them far and above what most cruise lines spend in refurbishments.

For those of you that were cruising Regent from 2004 - 2013, you would certainly understand much of what I am posting. This is not arguable -- it is fact. And, those that have not sailed Regent in more than 3 years have not experienced the "new" ships. Everything from carpeting to wall coverings and soft goods were replaced. Even additional crew quarters have been squeezed in on the Voyager (and possibly the Mariner as well). Additionally, those that have not sailed the Explorer do not understand the changes that are currently being rolled out. While I am not as familiar with the Voyager's upcoming refurbishment, La Veranda on the Mariner will be completely gutted and will be replaced with a dining venue similar to the Explorer. Also, Chartreuse will debut on the Mariner and Voyager after their refurbishment. Internet has been upgraded many times. Unfortunately, when Regent decided to include some included internet to all passengers, the speed is not what many expected. Hopefully this will also be addressed in the near future.

As I posted before, we have sailed on Regent regularly since 2009....with 8 cruises in the last 3 years.

I fail to grasp what you are trying to convey about refurbishments and "new ships". The refurbishments were only what was required to ensure the ships remained smart and acceptable for guests; there were no significant changes

As I said before, we will look with interest at the upcoming refurbs and the new ship, Explorer (for us the jury is out on that one and we will make up our own minds next Spring)

As regards internet, it is indeed 'unfortunate' that Regent failed to realise the extent of upgrade required before offering the included service to all guests. Offering a poor service to all is not very astute

This thread, including your posts, are a mixture of opinion, fact and misconceptions. When comparing cruiselines (and deciding with whom to book) I would argue that opinion and perception are equally as important as bald facts

If your going to compare it needs to be during the same year--otherwise it just doesn't hold water so to say. Also everyone has their likes and dislikes, so if you like it stay with it-that's your choice. But don't say ones bad just because you saved a few dollars.[/quote

Thanks, Wes, for bringing my long post over here!

I read a lot of this thread last night, but was on my phone and we are seven hours ahead of Central Time Zone in the US.

Jackie, your tone in this thread isn't the Jackie that I have enjoyed talking with on these boards; you are almost scornful of the people who like Azamara. And it would only have taken you one or two clicks over to the Azamara board to discover that Quest is only a couple of months or so out of a "rip it to the studs and replace" refurbishment, and Journey's was done last Winter, so "could somebody tell us when Azamara underwent a refurbishment" was unnecessary.

Nobody could have ever doubted how much Mark and I loved Regent, especially Navigator, so your brushing off of Dave's opinion can't happen here. We sailed Regent right up until the time of his death; we had a land trip immediately before, but I think we had a cruise not that long in the past at that time and had another one scheduled that had to be canceled, obviously.

The cleaning carts are in the hallways, but I haven't seen them blocking doorways unless the attendant is in there cleaning, which they do constantly, just like on Regent.

I have been in a friend's Verandah cabin and other than the shower (and the world knows I hate showers), I could occupy it comfortably. I don't need walk-in closets, I just need somewhere to hang my clothes. I am allergic to wine, but the tiny sips I have allowed myself have been very good (I am no expert, just know what I think tastes good). You could get a cosmo, it's just not listed on the website list for some reason. Wine, beer and mixed drinks are available at no cost all day every day; you pay for some premium brands and specialty items (or what Azamara considers specialty). AND... they have delicious iced tea! When I mentioned this to Phillip, the Hotel Director, he chuckled and said "It's from the US; only the US understands iced tea".

I don't remember what other qualities you stated you would detest about Azamara (and yes, I have enough bottles of water in my cabin to supply a small village; they are still because that is what I prefer, but it could be sparkling if I requested). But I am so sorry that you feel you have to speak with scorn about a little cruise line that you have not experienced, and I honestly hope you have no plans to experience. The Quest is such a positive place, and it has helped me recenter myself since the trauma in my life only a few years ago. I would hate to have someone come onboard expecting a negative experience.

I hope your next Explorer cruise is a magical one!

I do have to add something; I was on a tour to Ghent a couple of days ago that was 30 or 31 people; when we got to Ghent they split us into two groups so that everybody could hear the guide.

Edited by Pam
add